Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And what kind of information are you hoping to find there?
    Sound like a pretty important place, actually.

^ Top  
  2. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    See? "A sounds like a pretty important place." So what makes it more informative than an important place that is also a trade centre as opposed to a military outpost? Most of your arguments - or rather, rebuttals - are basically "hey A isn't that bad, it's good too, sort of"; otherwise, they are based on pretty fanciful projections of getting some access to Wudang secret knowledge or, I don't know, finding Tang Protocol and getting some spec ops training.

The argument for C has already been well rehearsed. It is the easiest place to get lost in the crowd. It is the easiest place to hide or pawn off the sword. It is the easiest place to get in touch with a variety of people, information, fighting styles, connections, possessors of odd knowledge. It is a place that is not necessarily inferior in fighting training or knowledge given our unorthodox trajectory; rather, it suits us best.

The time to go to Wudang was before going unorthodox, or before making us a nationally reknowned 'guy you don't want in your school' dude.

^ Top  
  3. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think it is too soon to say that we have ruined our chances of going orthodox already. We could always work back toward the other direction.

If Anything I think that studying would help our orthodoxy. I'd change my vote, but it seems pretty set anyway.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, the crux of my case for 1A is this:
    Every option here has an advantage, what matters is that we take that advantage.
    That being said, 1A will teach us how to actually fight better than 1C, which will teach us the theory of fighting. Xu Jing is much closer to the "instinct" side rather than the "analysis" side.
    You guys are also overestimating the advantage of the manor, it's not the Great Library:
    So we're unlikely to find info on the sword (which we're not pawning) and every technique in existence.
    Sure, there aren't any veteran scouts around, but they can give us an extremely solid base in the most common weapons in the world. Military drills are very effective, which is why they were instituted in the first place. And, yeah, hanging around Wudang will definitely give us options to establish contact.

^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Guys, I think we ought consider Cao'er in our decision as well.
    A. Xiangyang City. A vital fortress city overlooking the Han river, it is run by a military-minded prefect. Wudang Mountain is a few days’ travel from Xiangyang. - Learning weaponry and combat here. Also Wudang mountain is nearby. Wudang seems pratically tailored for us (unarmed, swords and qi balancing). I'm really inclined to go there and learn weaponry and combat, then go to Wudang, but, BUT... we're unorthodox as fuck (-80!) and we just made enemies with Songfeng. Our only hope here is to essentially have them become interested in our weird qi problem and investigate and fix it.

B. Luoyang City. One of the main capitals of the Tang dynasty, though Chang’an serves as the current residence of the Emperor. The Shaolin Temple is located on Mount Song, close to Luoyang. - Princebro (theorically), and Shaolin. I really don't think this is a good place to go, we don't have anything to say to princebro other than "hey bro, we've decided to ditch your recommendation and infiltrate unorthodox sects instead, we're hanging with killer physicians and beggars. Also, I now have a epic sword, want it?" As for the Shaolin, they are said to be VEEEERY strict, they will thrown our unorthodox, dishonorable, rule-bending ass out in a instant.

C. Xuzhou City. A major trade center in the Jiangnan region, it is also an agricultural center. The Luoying Manor, a learning house for martial artists who are interested in the pursuits of art, history and scholarly knowledge, is located near the city. Monocled pursuits here. This is the place where we go to know stuff. This is also the best place to know the sword and get more info on our mysterious antagonists, but its also the place its more likely to be recognized. I really recommend not use it unless we're making sure nobody saw it or everyone that saw iss dead or a friend. Also bear in mind this may also be a good place for Cao'er to learn more of her craft as well. There may also be knowlodge on our weird qi problem as well.

I ask, what we need now? To know stuff or to fight better?

Let us review our objectives:

1. Fixing our qi problem. We're living on pills so far and this limit the potential of our qi-powers. We cannot help the prince without solving this first.

2. Helping Princebro in finding out who attacked the Ashina to get him. We got two foots in the Unorthodox world by now (even through he told us to go orthodox instead), we know the technique our mysterious foe used and where it comes from and that's that.

Bear in mind I don't believe in power/knowlodge dichotomy. They are one and same. Its just that sometimes you need power to archieve knowlodge, and sometimes you need knowlodge to achieve or use your power.
    I'm voting AB. We need info on a lot of things: The sword, our qi condition, our mysterious antagonists, who's who on the pugilistic world, etc. We got a bit better in combat over the Songfeng patch (two extra levels in swords, Pine Break tech and The Arrogant Dragon Regrets tech), and I would like to get better. We really need to become stronger and fix out qi problems, Rong .jr was too much of a close shave to my liking.

As for the sword, I vote we keep it. If the nuns come, we got enough INT/CHA/Speech to convince them to spare us, and the Beggars' spread of our tale may convince them of what happened. I think we can actually make them our friends if we play it right ("Oh, this is a legendary sword that belongs to you? I'm sorry, truly deeply sorry! As you can verify from my tale, it is a happy coincidence I found it, please accept it back.").

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'd like to point out that there is no scale to measure orthodoxy with, unlike reputation. It is not capped.
    So -80 might still mean "slightly unorthodox". It took us 3 actions to get there, none of which were particularly infamous. If it takes 3 good deeds done properly to get back, I can't call it "unorthodox as fuck".

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Wow, we did go up in the ranks for swordsmanship pretty fast, I didn't notice that! Thanks for pointing that out.

^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    We're pretty sparse on techniques though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The more close shaves you get into and survive, the faster you learn. That's how your unorthodox life is going to be.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The Manor has is said to have a very mishmash group of warrior-scholars, I'm sure at least one of 'em knows sword techniques. We just have to find a way to get in there, hopefully our artistic and scholarly knowledge will help us out there.

Alternatively, we can look around the city for a thieves' guild, they should definitely know some tricks.

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Jing might have great physical abilities, but he's also an intelligent guy as well. Our fight with Rong involved analysis and book learning: in fact, we probably wouldn't have been able to beat him if we didn't have that first step of the Songfeng style to develop a counter off of. So yeah, while we didn't develop the counter itself while the battle began, we also needed an understanding of bits of the technique itself to get there. Look at this:

So we've got a character who is very talented in martial arts, but he doesn't have access to a lot of techniques due to his unorthodoxy. With that skill at understanding the essence of martial arts through an appreciation for art and calligraphy and our own innate talent, we can figure out a lot of shit that we might otherwise not be able to. There's definitely something to respect there.

You have to ask yourself: why are there so many transients around?

There's a big opportunity to improve our reputation here. You have a large amount of people in the fortress-city that are transients because it's a safe place amidst the danger surrounding the area. If you're serious about gaining a bit of trust among the Taoist Priests of the Wudang despite our unorthodox reputation, taking care of some bandits seems like a great opportunity. I want to mention that I disagree with Tigranes regarding the Wudang - I believe that cooperation is possible here. We have a charismatic character and I think that we can take steps once we reach the city to start earning brownie points with them. I seriously doubt that one year of unorthodox martial arts knowledge will prevent us from having any contact with the orthodox martial arts world forever, that's nonsense.

The Brazilian Slaughter, C might make us a monocled gentleman of refinement, but it probably won't give us a lot about the sword. If you want that, you gotta go with B, where the Shaolin temple and a lot of its historical knowledge would be. Other things that make C compelling would be a diverse set of martial arts contacts that have an appreciation for art, a lot of knowledge from the rest of China due to the place being a trade hub, that sort of thing.

After having evaluated things a bit further, I really do think that we need some respectability and to take a few steps to solve our qi issues. As a result, I must (reluctantly) flop to AB.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter

Hmmm, that makes sense, and Esquilax's arguments are soundly as well. Seems more like Fallout's karma system (to be a very good or evil person, you have to be something like -500).

Fine, to the camp and the Wudang we go.

^ Top  
  13. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Oh very well, I shall flop to AB too.

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    1. A - 7, B - 1, C - 13
    2. A - 1, B - 20

CB still wins.

Obtaining an Invite

You make your way slowly towards Xuzhou – due to the approaching winter, colds are becoming more frequent, meaning that you had more jobs to take. Your abilities are proving sufficient to handle most of the minor ailments you encountered en route to the city. This gave Master Yao more time to spend tutoring Cao’er – he seemed to be preparing her for some sort of test, though he refused to tell and you refused to press the matter. On your part, you began practicing your qinggong further as you traversed the wilderness, granting you an even lighter step.

When you arrive in Xuzhou, the snow has reached the city before you. At this time last year, you were shivering in the Cold Dungeon. Now you spent it with Master Yao and Cao’er in the warm and cosy Jingtu Inn, one of the cheaper establishments in the older districts of Xuzhou.

“Hmph,” snorts Master Yao grumpily, “give me a cold little hut anytime. This place disagrees with my bones.”

“I am not sure whether you continue being contrarian just for the sake of it, Master. We’re paying a cheap price for these comforts. Be grateful. It’s not like we could find any suitable lodgings outside Xuzhou anyway, unless you plan to live under a tree.” You frown at him as you pop a piece of duck meat into your mouth. Cao’er had finished her meal early and was poring through a set of books – they appeared to be basic martial arts manuals this time, of the cheapest sort anyone could find on the junk market. You wonder what she is planning; she’s being tight-lipped recently.

“Cities are too crowded for my taste.” Your master grimaces, picking at his food. “Why are we here again?”

“Getting senile in your old age, master? You asked me to pick where to go,” I say, laughing.

A duck bone is flicked into my forehead before I can even react. It stings – the old bastard used his inner strength for that flick. He cackles. “Are you being stupid, my idiot disciple? I asked you why we came here.”

“Sorry, master,” you bow your head. You never did explain why you picked Xuzhou to him – the old man had just agreed without asking for a reason. “I want to visit Luoying Manor. I have heard that it is a gathering place for many different martial artists. Perhaps there I can find out more about my strange qi and the Yuchang Sword.” You’ve made a rough wooden sheath for the sword and wrapped it up tightly, concealing it on your person. With the thick robes worn during winter, it goes entirely unnoticed.

Yao ponders your statement for a while, stroking his beard. “Some very strange people are rumoured to be amongst the bookworms that gather at Luoying, and it would not be out of the question that some of them may have an idea of what to do with you.”

When Master Yao calls someone strange, you know that he means it.

“But,” he continues, “I have never been in there, so I would not know. After all, I have never been invited.” Looking at my puzzled face, he laughs maliciously. “Oh, my idiot disciple! Did you think you could just walk up to Luoying Manor and ask to be let in? Or even pay your way in? It is a rather exclusive club. They would turn down even the Emperor himself if he was not to their liking.”

“I see,” you say. “This invitation… how do you think I can get my hands on one?”

“How do you think?” grins Master Yao. “I’m not here to do your work for you. All I need in my life is to wander, to heal, and to kill. What you do in your spare time is none of my business.”

It does not take long before Master Yao’s arrival in the city becomes widespread gossip. Business begins rolling in – there is always a small ailment or another that needs healing amongst the wealthy tradesmen and merchants that populate Xuzhou. Xuzhou proves to be rather more generous than Xuchang. In your spare time, between bringing Cao’er on walks around the city – that girl would coop herself up in the room for a year if you let her - and assisting your master, you begin gathering information on Luoying Manor from the locals.

Luoying Manor and its estate are located on the far bank of Yunlong Lake, at the base of Yunlong Mountain and opposite Xuzhou proper. There are boats that take travellers over to the manor. It is owned by a mysterious woman named Lady Ji, who is rumoured to be an ageless and beautiful immortal, having resided in the manor for over two hundred years. It seems that Lady Ji has never left the grounds, preferring to live in seclusion.

Initially, you think that Master Yao appears to have been mistaken about the need for an invite; according to the innkeeper, many scholars travel there year-round. However, you find out from an old scholar in Xuzhou that there is an ‘inner court’ that can only be accessed by known fellows of the manor. These fellows are selected via a mysterious trial during the winter solstice conference which can only be attended by obtaining an invitation. This is probably the ‘real’ Luoying Manor.

The nature of the trial is unknown even to those who have passed it. No one knows the criteria by which they select their fellows, but the selection process is done every four years, during the winter solstice conference, and four are chosen at each trial year. Attending the conference itself requires an invitation, and these are given out by Luoying Manor via different means. This year is a trial year – if you do not participate it will be another four years before you have the chance.

There are those who are already fellows of the manor – these will receive their invitations without condition.

There is the poetry competition held on Yuntang Pavilion on the near bank of the lake – the top three participants will receive an invitation.

There is also the martial arts contest at Quewu Square on the same day, a melee where up to thirty contestants are thrown into the ring, with the last man standing winning the invitation.

Finally, in thanks to the prefect of Xuzhou for continuing to protect the city and the lands around it, the Manor will always grant an invitation to the prefect with which he can do as he sees fit.

Since you are already here, you think you might as well try out for an invitation; the traveling merchants (and the gossip they bring) won't arrive until spring anyway.

A. The top scholar of Xuzhou, an influential man by the name of Jiang Du, is a fellow of the manor. You approach him, intending to cajole, threaten, or outright steal the invitation if necessary.

B. You participate in the poetry competition on Yuntang Pavilion. As the top three participants may win an invitation, you should have a good chance as long as you place at least third. Besides, there are ways to get rid of competitors…

C. You participate in the martial arts contest. Even though it is a battle royale with the last man standing, and the participants are most likely all adults, you think you should be able to manage surviving such a contest. And again, there are ways to get rid of competitors…

D. You approach the prefect of Xuzhou, Zhu Yutong, in order to lay your hands on that particular invitation. It seems that he has been looking for someone to undertake a mission to Luoying Manor itself, and is offering the invitation to those who will. You might have competition for the task, however – there will be a test, and the details of the job are unknown until you pass it.

Note: You may still get a chance to attempt another of these choices if you fail in the one you pick right now. But picking the poetry competition will outright rule out the martial arts contest, and vice versa, as they occur on the same day.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    We'll get to be a warrior-poet! B, with D as a backup option. Will probably elaborate later.

^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Calling for D right now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Our skills seem much more geared towards combat than poetry. Jing has 1 rank in artistic skill, 2 in speech. 3 in sword, 2 in unarmed.
    My preference would be the shady quest for the prefect, then the melee if the first option fails.

D > C

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    By the way, clarification of your reputation: The commonfolk don't really know of you yet despite your exploits, so you're free to walk the streets without people muttering or pointing at you behind your back. You should be known to many of the pugilists as the killer of Songfeng's young master though, but not by sight. Not even by name, because your name can be rather common. Only if you introduce yourself as Yao's apprentice.

Regarding the choices here, you'll be given further choices to pick when you attempt a test, which will determine success or failure.

^ Top  
  19. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    The killer of Songfengs young master in a straight up duel!
    :smug:

^ Top  
  20. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    D seem to depend on luck.
    Still, D.

^ Top  
  21. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    B warrior poet if we fail that A
    B and C sound like most educational options. Im in opposition to charming scholars due to respect for them and that unknown mission is suspicious to me, I have bad feeling about it so no. Probably fulfilling it will charm somehow Lady Ji and i don't like to taking sides before meeting them.

^ Top  
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    C - I don't see us winning a poetry competition anytime soon. Better to go for the melee, giving us the opportunity to advance our sword and unarmed skill.

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
  24. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Seems like we should start with B or C. A and D could easily annoy important figures in the very place we're trying to get into. Let's avoid that if we can, shall we?
    I like C - Even if we don't win, we might be able to distinguish ourselves enough to help us get the job in D.

^ Top  
  25. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
    Voting for C>B>D.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.