Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
C1 > A2, whichever to beat B2.

LWC1996

Learned
You have a dick she wants, and she has an invite you want. Supply and demand. :martini:

Baltika9

Arcane
Because it's not going to be as easy, I suppose, and Jing's level 1 sneak may get better from the practice.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You said yourself it was hardly undoable, and he already has experience with this. Does that sound like a close shave scenario to you?

Baltika9

Arcane
I thought he was a novice at this with just the basic knowledge and experience, but if robbing a staffed mansion is no problem, ditto to him I suppose.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not making any statement on the difficulty of C1, but you are attempting a very fallacious argument.

Either the risk is high, and you have a chance to increase your skills and learn something new, or the risk is low, and you don't.

You can't have it both ways. What you're doing here is downplaying the risk of the choice, yet choosing to claim that you will get a skill increase for doing something... not risky.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Whoops, I didn't mean for it to come out like that: the risk is an unknown, yeah, but we know the theory (as in, you can study breaching tactics or rappelling all you want from a book, but you'll still fuck it up on your first time because it's just too much shit at once; once you get the muscle memory down, shit gets easier) and have the slightest bit of practice so it's not going to be an autofail, which is what I meant by "doable", although I never said it would be easily doable. If it's hard shit (which I expect the mansion to be), we'll get a skill up if we pull it off by doing it right. If it's easy, well, good for us.

Better? ;)

Edit:
You have a dick she wants, and she has an invite you want. Supply and demand. :martini:
except we're more than a dick. We're a Tigerwolf, not someone's boytoy.
:rpgcodex:

Esquilax

Arcane
But, but, but.. What about the laxatives?

Azira confirmed for nomask alt.

Fuck the laxatives man, B2 is awful and most of us realize it. Jing is charming, but his dick isn't made of platinum - it isn't going to work. After the reflection that we've done, C1 really seems like the best one out of the set of options that we have. We don't harm Master Yao's great reputation, we aren't getting into some old, cobweb covered pussy, and we aren't going for a con that will obviously be traced to us. Yeah, the risks are very obvious to me, but I think we can manage it.

LWC1996

Learned
Whoops, I didn't mean for it to come out like that: the risk is an unknown, yeah, but we know the theory (as in, you can study breaching tactics or rappelling all you want from a book, but you'll still fuck it up on your first time because it's just too much shit at once; once you get the muscle memory down, shit gets easier) and have the slightest bit of practice so it's not going to be an autofail, which is what I meant by "doable", although I never said it would be easily doable. If it's hard shit (which I expect the mansion to be), we'll get a skill up if we pull it off by doing it right. If it's easy, well, good for us.

Better? ;)

Edit:
except we're more than a dick. We're a Tigerwolf, not someone's boytoy.
:rpgcodex:
That would be true if Madame Jiang proposes to him that they have regular trysts and she pays for his living expenses etc. But it's not the case here. It's highly probable that 'tis a one time thing here.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
... what do you think this place is, Deathtrap Mansion? :lol:

If you divide the risk into Low, Medium, High and Deadly, you are only getting plenty of skill boosts if you challenge Deadly, perhaps a few if you go High. Otherwise, you'll have to spend time practicing just like a regular Joe.

Now that's settled, there shouldn't be any 'skill boost!' arguments unless the chapter implies that it's going to be a very dangerous choice. Yes I might just toss you guys into a terrible situation which will give you a skill boost with no warning because of your shit luck, but you don't know that. :rpgcodex:

C1 is very bad as well. When the invitation goes missing now, who do you think will be the only suspect? And it's not as if we can hide this thing or fence it - we would have to present it to the guards at the compound. All it takes is for the wife to notify the manor to be on a lookout for us and we are done for it, finished.

No, fuck all stealing options - they are not going to work (with the possible exception of B1, and even that is worse then B2). We can't use a hot invitation, it's worse than useless.

Changing my vote again, this time to C2 > A2. C2 (abandon this whole mess for now) doesn't stand a chance, but A2 might be the best we can hope from the other options.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

:lol: Hadn't seen that one coming. Was/is nomask fascinated by laxatives?

On a serious note though, having Jing back out now in this con seems a half-measure. I'm sticking to my A vote. I think we should give them laxatives a try. Jing's good at bullshitting. She might even believe him.
Flopped the second part of the vote to try buying the invite though.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sadly, I'm afraid there's not much time so I'm hoping that you bros will flop.
Isn't A2>C1 enough for flopping purposes? From a purely mathematical standpoint it is. Fine. Flopping to C1>A2. Whatever to beat B.

Baltika9

Arcane
C1 is very bad as well. When the invitation goes missing now, who do you think will be the only suspect? And it's not as if we can hide this thing or fence it - we would have to present it to the guards at the compound. All it takes is for the wife to notify the manor to be on a lookout for us and we are done for it, finished.

No, fuck all stealing options - they are not going to work (with the possible exception of B1, and even that is worse then B2). We can't use a hot invitation, it's worse than useless.

Changing my vote again, this time to C2 > A2. C2 (abandon this whole mess for now) doesn't stand a chance, but A2 might be the best we can hope from the other options.
Only if we get caught. The art of stealth is making the others believe you weren't there. So, really, the Madam won't go to the study in the morning thinkng "oh shit, I wonder if he stole the invitation!" unless we get caught. The husband may not even check for it immediately when he arrives, since he already missed it. We have a window to work in, the same window as with any other choice, until the husband notices. If we don't fuck up.

LWC1996

Learned
You can tell she wants the sex because she's already asking for the lessons. Their convo about the lessons is filled with innuendo...You know, I know, no need to say it out loud. It's put in a more polite and not so suspicious term - lessons. Does she want it enough to trade for the invite? Maybe. But it's not the worst choice either.

How is it any different from the dreams of marrying Yunzi so you can become the next Khan? Everyone is essentially prostituting themselves here. The prince prostitutes himself when he has to marry a princess some far off land or of a warring tribe so that peace will come to the kingdom in the form of averted wars, noblemen/merchants prostitute themselves for more power or money by marrying a woman they don't love because it makes business sense etc etc.

Baltika9

Arcane
About that: I'm not going on with whole "marry Yunzi" shebang just for Khandom, no, it's because her and Jing are cuter than two kittens playfighting and have the potential for awesome lulz and a neat love story, which none of our protagonists achieved before. Anyway, this is off topic and doesn't have much to do with the current argument.

Go C1, bros, Jing is worth more than that and we won't be constantly looking over our shoulder for a disgraced husband chasing down vengeance.

Esquilax

Arcane
You can tell she wants the sex because she's already asking for the lessons. Their convo about the lessons is filled with innuendo...You know, I know, no need to say it out loud. It's put in a more polite and not so suspicious term - lessons. Does she want it enough to trade for the invite? Maybe. But it's not the worst choice either.

How is it any different from the dreams of marrying Yunzi so you can become the next Khan? Everyone is essentially prostituting themselves here. The prince prostitutes himself when he has to marry a princess some far off land or of a warring tribe so that peace will come to the kingdom in the form of averted wars, noblemen/merchants prostitute themselves for more power or money by marrying a woman they don't love because it makes business sense etc etc.

It's different because it can't feel like we're prostituting ourselves when he have sex with her. We can't fuck her and then say "sooooo... about that invitation..." This is not a stupid lady, she's going to immediately know what it was we were after. As charming as Jing is, I don't think he can attempt such a thing without making Madame Jing realize exactly what it is we're up to. We probably won't even get the invitation that way. She wants a good dicking, sure, but she also wants some affection and some revenge on her husband. Treating this like a business transaction is innacurate, which is why I think B2 will fail.

Good points by Zero Credibility, but Baltika9 is right that we do have an open window in between the time it takes to steal it and the time that Jiang Du returns. Even then, he might never be the wiser should he decide not to want to join Luoying Manor anyways. I mean, he's a fellow, so it's open to him at any time. Doesn't seem like a big priority to him.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

:lol: Hadn't seen that one coming. Was/is nomask fascinated by laxatives?

vRsIR.jpg

Only if we get caught. The art of stealth is making the others believe you weren't there. So, really, the Madam won't go to the study in the morning thinkng "oh shit, I wonder if he stole the invitation!" unless we get caught. The husband may not even check for it immediately when he arrives, since he already missed it. We have a window to work in.
Again, we can't hide or fence the damn thing. We will have to wait for the conference to start (don't know when that is - could be days, could be weeks) and then give it to the guards at the gates. If anyone, anyone notices the invitation is missing during that time we are fucked, because the first thing they are going to do is notify the authorities and the manor guards that an invitation has been stolen and who is the prime suspect. If we then show up with an invitation it's game over man.

And even if nobody notices on time, we are likely to be in this town through the whole winter - at some point somebody will notice it missing, the wife will remember our conversation, the manor guards will say we had an invitation and we will face charges for theft. Add to that the fact that that damn girl is still following us and when she finds out we have an invitation she's going to connect the dots, possibly leading to blackmail or just exposing us for fun, and really, stealing at this point is just too damn risky.

People, when you are casing a joint, you do not go up the owner and ask to buy your target, then steal it. Well, not if you want to get away with it.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
And even if nobody notices on time, we are likely to be in this town through the whole winter - at some point somebody will notice it missing, the wife will remember our conversation, the manor guards will say we had an invitation and we will face charges for theft. Add to that the fact that that damn girl is still following us and when she finds out we have an invitation she's going to connect the dots, possibly leading to blackmail or just exposing us for fun, and really, stealing at this point is just too damn risky.
About that, she's the playful-mischievous type, a successful heist may actually win her respect and we can push that further to friendship in the trials if we work together (I really don't want her as an opponent, she's the cunning to our brawn, these two will make an awesome team).
The guards we can buy off or bullshit with our speech skills ("Never had the damn thing! You can't pin shit on me!" Let them prove otherwise.)

That image, wow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom