Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Hopefully Jing's adultery combined with our loss earlier will be enough keep the naive among us from thinking we're larping some fair-fighting, honor-bound dickweed. I mean, how the hell were we supposed to win a fair tournament with our luck anyway? :roll:
If you wish to larp a martial artist to whom honour is a dirty word, knock yourself out. Me, I'm going the other way - honour with a bit of pragmatism included when needed. Much more interesting then playing a mass poisoner for me.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Hopefully Jing's adultery combined with our loss earlier will be enough keep the naive among us from thinking we're larping some fair-fighting, honor-bound dickweed. I mean, how the hell were we supposed to win a fair tournament with our luck anyway? :roll:
If you wish to larp a martial artist to whom honour is a dirty word, knock yourself out. Me, I'm going the other way - honour with a bit of pragmatism included when needed. Much more interesting then playing a mass poisoner for me.
Strawman much? I don't mind an honorable fight. Recall that I was absolutely against feigning defeat and murdering Rong Jr. I just don't want to have another situation where people won't cheat even if the situation obviously calls for it in order to win.

Also, Jing screwed a guy's wife so he could get/steal his invite. Honor train has left the station, my friends.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lambchop19 said:
Also, Jing screwed a guy's wife so he could get/steal his invite. Honor train has left the station, my friends.
No, I still say he sacrificed himself for Great Justice!

But do consider that Jing is utmost loyal to the prince and failure in his mission is not an option. I mean the guy was willing to die rather than abandoning prince. Concepts like honor and fame doesn't matter to him if he won't be able to fulfill his mission to prince.
:salute:

Strawman much? I don't mind an honorable fight. Recall that I was absolutely against feigning defeat and murdering Rong Jr. I just don't want to have another situation where people won't cheat even if the situation obviously calls for it in order to win.

What, and your post wasn't? And sleeping with the woman for the pass doesn't make us dishonourable, just an honourable whore. :P

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
What, and your post wasn't? And sleeping with the woman for the pass doesn't make us dishonourable, just an honourable whore.
A whorenorable person.

Lambchop19 said:
No, I still say he sacrificed himself for Great Justice!
1. It's not like she was the only one that had an invite for Jing.
2. He didn't have to sleep with her to get it.

Larpers gonna larp tho. :codexisfor:

edit: also, just how the fuck is robbing a stranger and sleeping with his wife self-sacrificial anyway?

Nevill

Arcane
Lambchop19 said:
1. The prefect was shady. Jing wouldn't want to associate himself with people like that.
2. But we couldn't harm our kind Master's reputation. That would be wrong!

Lambchop19 said:
edit: also, just how the fuck is robbing a stranger and sleeping with his wife self-sacrificial anyway?
Dude, she was fugly! And old. And she probably smelled bad.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think I like B here, young bloke like our self. We could get some information from A if she wasn't :troll: C is a wild card, but it doesn't seem likely that we'll achieve much with it.

B

Lambchop19 said:
1. The prefect was shady. Jing wouldn't want to associate himself with people like that.
2. But we couldn't harm our kind Master's reputation. That would be wrong!
I know you're screwing with me, but my larper hate burns so strong!
Lambchop19 said:
Dude, she was fugly! And old. And she probably smelled bad.
Makes sense. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
That dangerous looking guy might be interesting, but I have a feeling people aren't talking with him for a good reason.
Probay because he's one scary motherfucker, maybe we stumbled across some wandering unorthodox warrior (the Southern Maniac?). Maybe us having the balls to talk to him will be enough to impress him, we're both potentially unorthodox gentlemen here.
But scholarbro sounds good, we need the brains to our brawn too.
Yeah, I screwed up on that one, my bad, but I'm not going down the road we thankfully avoided with Jr.

Mixing laxatives into the other fighters drinks to even the odds wasn't anywhere NEAR murdering Rong Jr and it would have been a heck of a lot better than sleeping with some guy's wife on the honor scale - all I'm saying.

Can we not have SOME degree of pragmatism here? I don't want Dio, I just want our guy to play a little dirty now and again (when winning would be way harder without it).

Ugh. I may just have to vote for some serious grimdarkery from now on to offset the honor larp.

edit: oh, and all lot of you guys seem to think it's cool to sleep with a guy's wife, but I'm not talking about just personal definitions of honor, but honor as defined by the setting as well.

There you go with that larping again. Relax man.

Also, you find potentially pissing off 30 or so fighters more pragmatical then pissing off one scholar husband? Think about it, which of these actions carries less risk for the same reward?

ScubaV

Prophet
B > C

It seems like a lot of you guys want to play Ean all over again. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ean, but I want to play someone different for a change. A year of one type of character is enough. TOME's quote about Jing valuing loyalty to the prince over things like honor seems like a good archetype to follow. That means getting our hands dirty now and again. The hypocrisy of wanting more freedom to pursue unconventional methods (unorthodox choice) and then balking at what essentially amounts to a prank (laxatives) annoys me. It's not one step removed from poisoning babies and burning villages.

There are a lot of choices so far in this LP that I disagree with, but I am happy that we seem to be playing a more pragmatic character who will do what is necessary to achieve his goals. Unlike Ean, he is not self-sacrificing. Unlike Dio, he's not megalomaniacal. Unlike Senya, he is less cerebral and more emotional and physical. Goddammit if I won't fight against backsliding into replaying someone over again. This isn't some Bioware game with good, neutral, and dick dialog choices that essentially change nothing. We have a chance to explore some themes in different ways. I want to take it.

LWC1996

Learned
A. and my backup is C.

Might as well learn more about Qilin's background and learn more about this manor. We're gonna be here for at least 3 days, might as well come to terms with Qilin as soon as possible. Plenty of time to get to know the others. Also, you don't want to risk having her accidentally or intentionally ruining Jing's plans.

So it's time to stop being petty and make up with her. If she wants to talk, why not.

Better to trust someone who openly tries to poison you for fun than the hidden motives of strangers you know not.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Sweet, this turned out better than I'd anticipated. Obviously fucking a married woman for an invitation into some silly club isn't a good thing to do - no way to spin that. I agree with Lambchop19 in that we really need to understand the character; his ultimate goal is to serve the Crown Prince, whom he has been raised to be loyal to the point of giving up his life. That's his purpose in life, it's how he thinks, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to serve. I think of Jing sort of as a Jack Bauer type in that way.

We also have to be situationally aware. We were in a competition where cheating was pretty much understood, so it's pretty much a given that you want to cheat a bit to win. Now that we have a decent idea of who the character is, we ought to be able to make choices more consistent with what the character would do in a particular situation.

As for the current choice:

Chi Qilin winks as she leaps onto the pier ahead of you. She had spent the boat ride chatting animatedly with the other men, gaining their attention. That suited you fine – it just meant you didn’t have to put up with her. She opens her mouth to speak to you, but thankfully the white and pink-garbed servants of Luoying Manor arrive to save you from the girl.
“It looks like I’m sitting here too,” says Qilin cheerfully as she slips into the empty seat next to you. When you do not respond to her, she continues, “What, are you still mad at me?”

I'm not opposed to talking to her at all, but Jing is a sociable guy, and I am interested in the scholar who won the poetry competition. However, Chi Qilin has been trying to talk to us for most of the night, snubbing her might not be smart. No reason we can't be friends, right? Or, if we're going to be enemies, it's better to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

I am fascinated by the dangerous motherfucker in the centre of the hall, however, I don't think that he's as hostile as his impression gives off. He might have a scarred body from many battles, but this is Luoying Manor; I am sure that this man, as scary as he looks, appreciates books and art as he does combat and bloodshed. The fact that he's not wearing a shirt in the middle of winter is another interesting note as well: this could imply some sort of neigong abilities. Another thing it could imply is a certain level of discipline and an asceticism due to the lack of attachment to material things. While there are many unorthodox types at Luoying Manor, if I had to make a guess off a first impression, I would say that this man is a Shaolin monk.

While I won't be sorry if we talk to the scholar or Qilin, the mysterious badass here intrigues me the most.

C

LWC1996

Learned
B > C

It seems like a lot of you guys want to play Ean all over again. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ean, but I want to play someone different for a change. A year of one type of character is enough. TOME's quote about Jing valuing loyalty to the prince over things like honor seems like a good archetype to follow. That means getting our hands dirty now and again. The hypocrisy of wanting more freedom to pursue unconventional methods (unorthodox choice) and then balking at what essentially amounts to a prank (laxatives) annoys me. It's not one step removed from poisoning babies and burning villages.

There are a lot of choices so far in this LP that I disagree with, but I am happy that we seem to be playing a more pragmatic character who will do what is necessary to achieve his goals. Unlike Ean, he is not self-sacrificing. Unlike Dio, he's not megalomaniacal. Unlike Senya, he is less cerebral and more emotional and physical. Goddammit if I won't fight against backsliding into replaying someone over again. This isn't some Bioware game with good, neutral, and dick dialog choices that essentially change nothing. We have a chance to explore some themes in different ways. I want to take it.

:bro:

LWC1996

Learned
Sweet, this turned out better than I'd anticipated. Obviously fucking a married woman for an invitation into some silly club isn't a good thing to do - no way to spin that. I agree with Lambchop19 in that we really need to understand the character; his ultimate goal is to serve the Crown Prince, whom he has been raised to be loyal to the point of giving up his life. That's his purpose in life, it's how he thinks, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to serve. I think of Jing sort of as a Jack Bauer type in that way.

We also have to be situationally aware. We were in a competition where cheating was pretty much understood, so it's pretty much a given that you want to cheat a bit to win. Now that we have a decent idea of who the character is, we ought to be able to make choices more consistent with what the character would do in a particular situation.

As for the current choice:

Chi Qilin winks as she leaps onto the pier ahead of you. She had spent the boat ride chatting animatedly with the other men, gaining their attention. That suited you fine – it just meant you didn’t have to put up with her. She opens her mouth to speak to you, but thankfully the white and pink-garbed servants of Luoying Manor arrive to save you from the girl.
“It looks like I’m sitting here too,” says Qilin cheerfully as she slips into the empty seat next to you. When you do not respond to her, she continues, “What, are you still mad at me?”

I'm not opposed to talking to her at all, but Jing is a sociable guy, and I am interested in the scholar who won the poetry competition. However, Chi Qilin has been trying to talk to us for most of the night, snubbing her might not be smart. No reason we can't be friends, right?

I am fascinated by the dangerous motherfucker in the centre of the hall, however, I don't think that he's as hostile as his impression gives off. He might have a scarred body from many battles, but this is Luoying Manor; I am sure that this man, as scary as he looks, appreciates books and art as he does combat and bloodshed. The fact that he's not wearing a shirt in the middle of winter is another interesting note as well: this could imply some sort of neigong abilities. Another thing it could imply is a certain level of discipline and an asceticism due to the lack of attachment to material things. While there are many unorthodox types at Luoying Manor, if I had to make a guess off a first impression, I would say that this man is a Shaolin monk.

While I won't be sorry if we talk to the scholar or Qilin, the mysterious badass here intrigues me the most.

C

But you'll have plenty of time to approach Mr. Badass, no? Why not talk to Qilin first since she's been trying to talk to you. There's no harm talking to her first, either.

Tigranes

Arcane
I think we are generally acting within the broad sketch of a Jing loyal to the prince, ready to kill if pushed, though just how far he will go for 'local' good causes is still up for grabs. I really think some of the choices were screwed up but yes, let's try and build a more coherent picture of just who Jing is.

Not the most original, but I'm in favour of a relatively pragmatic dude who's going to be ready to do pretty nasty things for the long-term goal of the Prince's mission.

I'm not really worried about who we approach first, but perhaps ensuring we know more than one person in the room might not be a bad idea? C>A.

Baltika9

Arcane

I can sympathize with not wanting to play the same characters again, it does get repetitive after a while. And yes, Jing has been raised to get his hands dirty so Shun doesn't have to, to die for him and that's something he embraces wholeheartedly. And hell, being more mischevious, creative and cunning seems like Jing's style, I have nothing against that (the tournament was totally my derp, lost sight of the big picture there).

However, what I don't want to see is him becoming so selfless in his service that he stops thinking of his own life and goals and morality and becomes a self-righteous cunt, basically a 40k Puritan Inquisitor (in the Emperor's name! etc). If anything, I want him to become more selfish; the idea of playing someone struggling between duty and independence is a very interesting character concept with a lot of potential for development later.

The vision I had of him when I voted for unorthodoxy was of a ronin-type warrior doing what needs to be done, guided by his own code of honor and wits, and doing things that need to be done. Not necessarily a self-sacrificing hero, but not an unscrupulous special agent either.

Still against poison, though.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's been demonstrated that our girl here gets to be a bit dangerous when she feels snubbed or offended, and we're a ways away from medical care.

But you'll have plenty of time to approach Mr. Badass, no? Why not talk to Qilin first since she's been trying to talk to you. There's no harm talking to her first, either.
I agree. I think she might have something important to tell us. Chances are, she knows more about what's going on here
than we do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom