Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. :hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A New Suspect

“Wait!” you call out to the court. The lieutenant’s raised hand lowers slowly, the flat wooden stick that would have been thrown to order Jiang’s torture still held in his fingers. Pang Xiaohu finally looks away from his axes. You step towards the center of the court, besides the stockade that Jiang Zheng is held in, and turn towards Fu Xia.

“Fu Xia, where were you on the night of the crime?”

The court is quiet. Both spectators and judges are stunned into silence by your actions. Jiang Zheng stares up at you, his face solemn though seemingly unsurprised. “Xu Jing,” says the lieutenant, “if you are trying to delay for time…”

“I am not. Let me continue my queries,” you respond, your posture not giving an inch.

The garrison commander looks at you and nods. “Very well. Continue, but make it quick.”

“H-hey, this is not funny, Mister Xu!” Fu Xia gives a nervous chuckle as he glances about him. “What do you mean?”

“Where were you on the night of the crime?” you repeat.

“I… I was having dinner with you. Come on, what are you trying to get at here?”

“You left the restaurant quite early, didn’t you?”

“Because I was being chased by three monks! They were attacking me and I had to run… and then I got lost coming back. You know how winding these streets are.” He shakes his head and sighs heavily. “Really, where did this come from?”

You smile. “The monks attacked you, right?”

“I just said that,” he frowns. “I came back all injured. You saw me too. Cuts and all.”

“Yes, I did,” you acknowledge his statement. “Would you mind letting me examine your injuries in more detail?”

“Does this have anything to do with the case in question?” says the lieutenant impatiently.

“Yes, that’s right, it doesn’t matter, does it?” echoes Fu Xia quickly.

You glance at Qilin. She understands your intentions and smiles. Stepping behind him, she gives Fu Xia a swift boot to his rear, knocking him into the center of the hall. “What-“ Fu Xia shouts out, but you are upon him in a flash. You seal his acupoints, immobilizing his body. Then, you strip off his tunic with a flourish while he continues protesting. There are still bruises on his torso, as well as a large, unhealed cut across his left arm. You beckon to Cao’er and ask her to investigate the wound.

“…inflicted on the night of the murder…” she whispers almost inaudibly.

“It was inflicted on the night of the murder,” you call out, repeating Cao’ers words.

“I got into a brawl, didn’t I?” complains Fu Xia. “Why are you trying to frame me?”

“Did the monks find a sword or two somewhere? As I recall, they were unarmed,” you say. “This cut was clearly made by a sword. Could it have been a constable’s sword?” Jiang Zheng is staring at Fu Xia intently, as if trying to make out if he could have been the man-in-black that assassinated Du Yao.

Fu Xia’s face pales, though he is still unable to move his body. His expression scrunches up into a grimace. “This… I… look, there is an explanation for this!”

“Then explain.”

“I shouldn’t… okay, if you insist. But don’t blame me. It was Xiaofang. He attacked me while I was making my way back from the brawl.”

You stare at him. “Why would Xiaofang attack you?”

“Look,” he tries to grin, though it comes off awkwardly, “you know how he’s actually working for the eunuchs, right? He’s probably a mole for them in our constabulary. I called out to him on the streets, tried to ask him why he was wandering around, but he got angry. He shouted back at me and struck the first blow. That’s the cut. I was caught by surprise. I managed to fight him off and run away.”

“Why didn’t you reveal this that night?”

“W-well… of course I couldn’t. I mean, what if Xiaofang found out I told on him? I would be killed! I was just hoping to find him and talk to him again so that he understood I wasn’t actually trying to harm him. I’m sure it was all a misunderstanding on his part.” Fu Xia talks quickly, sweat pouring down his face.

“But-“

“You have no proof, Xu Jing. You shouldn’t accuse me without proof,” he says. His confidence is gradually returning.

“Xiaofang was injured by the same technique that killed Du Yao. How would that be possible if the person he was arguing with wasn’t the killer?”

“Maybe there was another person that fought with him before I met him? When I found him he was already looking rather poorly. He could have come across the killer and been injured then. But really, you know how the eunuchs are. Maybe it was Xiaofang himself who was the killer, and then he was betrayed by his accomplice? They could have learnt the same techniques. But I have no proof for that, just like you have no proof that I did it!”

“If Xiaofang was the killer, he would have been injured by Chief Jiang’s weapon. During our examination, we saw no proof of any such injury. In fact, he was attacked by Jinkong Sect techniques.”

“Well, then someone else was the killer, and they attacked Xiaofang before or after he met me! I mean, in your reports you said Xiaofang disappeared to the sickhouse by himself, who knows what happened then?” cries out Fu Xia. “I’m innocent! I mean, how could I know something like poisoned ice needles? That’s more of something an eunuch would do!”

“I know eunuchs. They are sneaky,” mutters the garrison commander.

“Well, it would explain a lot of things. He assassinated Lord Du, fled, was injured by his accomplices to silence him…” comments the lieutenant. It looks like they are more willing to accept Fu Xia’s explanation, especially since it comes with a handy scapegoat.

“I do not think Xiaofang did it.” Jiang speaks out, his voice heavy.

“Is that so, Chief Jiang?” The garrison commander appears to be surprised. “If he did not do it, then did you do it after all?”

“It was not me.”

“Do you mean to imply that the young constable is lying and is the true culprit?” asks the lieutenant.

“Oh, are you all really serious?” Fu Xia shouts. “There is no proof that I did it! I’m not lying!”

“Maybe we should put the bamboo to him,” suggests the lieutenant. “Perhaps we will find out if he is lying after he has his legs squeezed a bit. If he doesn’t confess, then we know he’s telling the truth and the eunuch probably did it.”

“This is a farce,” laughs Pang Xiaohu. “Come now, we all know it does not really matter who did it. Let me chop this Fu’s head off with my axe and we can end the story. He's just a constable gone rogue anyway, right? I'm sure the Tang Emperor didn't order him to do it, right? Some people go mad and do silly, bad things, it's just how the world is. So... yeah. Chop chop. Quickest way.”

“You can’t! I didn’t do it!” He is practically screaming by now, but his story still does not seem to add up. You suspect that he is not telling the truth yet.

You step back while the judges deliberate their next course of action. “Qilin, do you have anything like a truth serum?”

“No, there’s no drug that is so convenient… wait, I think I could try something, but I’m not sure if it would react well to his body. The Wudu Cult has been working on a little toy. It should theoretically make someone more eager to talk, but on the last ten animals I have tried it on for lethality tests, only two have survived longer than ten minutes. I am not sure how it would work on a human – it might not be effective at all,” mutters Qilin.

A. You let Pang Xiaohu take Fu Xia’s head and end the case. Jiang Zheng may not be too happy if you take this route, but it’s the simplest and quickest way.

B. You have Fu Xia tortured to see if he says anything. If he breaks, he will be found guilty, and your suspicion will be proven correct; if not, then you’ll have to accept that Xiaofang has been painted as the culprit in absentia, and will be convicted for the murder.

C. You have Qilin administer her potion to him. It is untested, but on the off chance that it works, he might confess everything. That would make things a lot simpler, as well as possibly gaining you a lot of information about who is behind all this. Of course, it might prove lethal to Fu Xia if he is unfortunate.

D. You drain Fu Xia's qi in an attempt to force him to use his neigong to resist your absorption. If he does know the ice needle technique, there will be a hint to be found there; once he uses his neigong you would be able to pick up the same icy qi that was found in Du Yao’s body and replicate it with Wuxiang Qiankun. However, to do that, you would have to reveal this ability of yours...

Vote Tally (open)

Final tally:

Baltika9 - D>A
    Nevill - D
    Rex Feral - B
    ERYFKRAD - A
    Smashing Axe - C>B>A
    Kipeci - C
    Akkudakku - D>C
    Esquilax - A>D
    Kz3r0 - A
    XenomorphII - D
    Jester - C>A
    ScubaV - C
    Tribute - C
    Tigranes - A
    Fangshi - A>C
    asxetos - C
    profreshinal - C
    Lambchop19 - C>A
    Absinthe - A>C
    Grimgravy - C>D
    GreyViper - C
    TOME - C

A - 6
    B - 1
    C - 11
    D - 3

Post-flop:

A - 7
    B - 1
    C - 12
    D - 1

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Moar neiggong! D>A. This is our qi draining, not Wuxiang Qiankun Skill, that will become known.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    He is our responsibility. D.

What is the ability that is going to be revealed? Qi leeching, Wuxiang Qiankun, or both?

How would replicating the technique even be a proof in the court? All we would prove is that we can use ice needles.

We are on the track to the manual here. You play big, you win big. Maybe it is going to be worth it even if we reveal our cards.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You tell them you can replicate qi, demonstrate it with someone else, then do it on Fu Xia to prove he might have icy qi.

Of course since you've never tried it before you might fail.

Or he might not have it at all.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait, I thought it was our qi leeching. My bad, I am very hesitant to expose our WQS so easily. On the one hand, it will draw a shitton of heat onto us and our group. On the other, all that attention will give us more fights, more experience and just amek us stronger. There are benefits to both secrecy and being known as a Bad Motherfucker.

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    A truly impartial judge would not be persuaded by that. It still does not prove that Fu Xia knows the technique.

Would we need to demonstrate our qi abilities even if we don't know if he has icy qi beforehand? It would make more sense to try and confirm it first before acting, but there might not be enough time for that.

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It at least proves he knows the particular Xueguizi neigong that is the foundation of the technique because he has that qi. That's sufficient.

Of course you have to demonstrate it first, how else would you prove you can do it?

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Impartial. Youxia. :lol:
    If we have the legendary Wuxiang Qiankun, they will believe our demonstration. If we prove Fu Xia was able to use the Hanbing Needles, an extremely rare technique, we will prove that he was the real killer. The question here is, are absolutely sure that the tradeoff in revealing our WQS is worth it?

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    And we don't need to produce proof to convince partial judges.

What I meant, why can't we search for icy qi first, and then, if we find it, demonstrate what we are able to do?

But of course we can't, wouldn't be a choice otherwise. They are already getting impatient.

There is another one of the manuals of the line. It is a big gamble.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You're going to have to drain him to find the qi, since if he does have it he isn't about to reveal it easily. That's how you search for it. You could drain Fu Xia first and should you detect the qi, proceed to replicate it, but you would still have to demonstrate the technique afterwards on another person so that you can prove that you just did what you claimed to do.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, we do have other options. We can also gamble with Qilin's elixir of truth, or just do it the old-fashioned way. It is quite possible that our WQS at level 1 will fail and then we'll be standing out there, looking a like a complete retard. It's something worth considering.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So at least we don't reveal ourselves if the qi we seek isn't there. It's not much comfort, but I'll take it.

Qilin's method is by far the worst one. If it kills Fu Xia, we have proven nothing. If it does not work, though, he can weave any tale he wants, and we will have to treat it as truth. That is absolutely unacceptable.

The rewards it promises are like a big carrot on a stick so that you don't disregard it completely. It offers everything on a silver platter without you having to work for the results.

I would not put much faith in torture either. If Fu Xia is such a good actor that he can be a mole and an assassin with connections to Tianshan without making anyone suspicious about it, chances are he can hold out. It might be bad. If he confesses, though, it is unlikely to have much weight in the eyes of our party. As for the judges, they are not terribly concerned with who the killer is, as long as they find one.

Pang Xiaohu's method is another one I could accept - if I did swing that way. Make Fu Xia guilty by definition and make him unable to raise an objection or protest in any way. If he is guilty, Xiaofang is going to confirm it for chief Zheng. If he isn't, B and C are not much nicer, and they carry a quite substantial risk of failure.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    As I see it now, the outcomes are like this:

A -> Fu Xia dies
    B -> Fu Xia is tortured -> guilty: dies or innocent: Xiaofang dies
    C -> Fu Xia is drugged -> guilty: dies or innocent: still dies but the case ain't closed
    D -> we fail -> Xiaofang dies or we succeed: Fu Xia dies

I'll go with B.

^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A, then let Fu Xia have an opening to escape because that's sporting.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, you're right, Nevill. And I'm down for developing our WQS, plus we get sweet Ice Needle Magic, but it's still a very high price to pay here for the info: word will get put that we have WQS, and then shit will go down all over our heads. Edited vote to D>A.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh, definitely the Little Tiger won't chop him up while he's still immobilized. He'll want a fight.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    In the end guys, Yang Xue did it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fu Xia and chief Zheng are in a different situation. Jiang knows that if he does not confess, they are only going to make it more brutal. Fu Xia knows that if he does not confess, they are going to release him, but if he does, he ends up dead. Tolerating pain is much easier when you know it is going to end eventually, and when it is a choice between living with a bit of pain and certain death, well... I don't see it working.

There is a chance that even if Fu Xia is guilty, Xiaofang will still get accused, unless Zheng, who does not believe in the eunuch's guilt, takes blame. If B fails in that way, it will clear Fu Xia of doubt.

As for D, if it fails, it is still a toss up between them three, and we get to point the finger at the one we want sacrificed. Not the most pleasant of choices, but when did a failure taste good?

Edit: fair enough.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Uh, you don't get to point any fingers in D if it fails. You'll need to spend quite some time standing there draining him and trying to find what you want, longer than it takes for them to come to a decision. If it doesn't pan out, they'll get quite angry at you wasting their time and messing around (especially if you want to play it safe by not explaining your ability beforehand), and make their decision without any further input from you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait, treave, hpw is D even going to work? We absorb his qi with leeching and then (attempt to) break it down and analyze it with WQS?

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Basically you're draining him in an attempt to force him to use his neigong to survive and resist the drain, and once he does you can replicate it. Hm, I should clarify that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    C>B>A

I don't really care if Fu Xia dies, as long as we gain the information we want. If he blabs, and then dies from the effects of the serum, all is well. If he doesn't blab, and then dies. Well, we're big enough to bully the lieutenants into accepting his guilt. Screw this city.

I also really don't want to reveal information about our abilities to a city of information brokers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    C, let's see if we can get this truth serum to work out. If it does, great! If not, same effect as A, though perhaps in a worse way for him.

^ Top  
  25. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    D>C

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.