Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
The END is nice. But how do we get it? We get pissed and attack tigers head on. That is neither rational or sane! It sounds more like giving up, binging, doing something colossally stupid, and managing to survive (where the END comes from I imagine). No one in their right mind fights deadly animals head on.
This is a Wuxia LP. If we can't take on mere tigers with our fists, we're not going to last long.

Esquilax

Arcane
Ah, Jing is pretty reckless as is. I don't think he needs more of that. I've flopped from DB to BB.

I like the 3(+2) Sneak too, but we also can't overlook the fact that Jing really needs to learn about Traps. He will probably encounter them in the future, but if he doesn't know the first thing about them, it's gonna suck.

We're in the middle of a fucking jungle, we aren't going to encounter any traps in the near future. Okay, if we're out there sneaking into some Shaolin Temple to steal an ancient martial arts manual guarded by wards - yes, absolutely - but right now, it's not really a priority to me. Plus, I doubt that one of these nuns are going to be dumb enough to fall victim to a trap that requires only 2 skill points to build. We might be able to catch them before they can see us with 3 Sneak + 2 from our qinggong, though. A few of them might be hard of hearing in their old age, though I wouldn't underestimate those old hags.

Look, there's no doubt that having an incredible STR 9 will allow us to outmuscle pretty much anyone we come across. However, Baltika9, while we may not have the same raw strength in B, what we will have is a combination of speed and strength that is difficult for anybody to match. Sure, there might be individuals who are stronger, and people who are faster, but there will be very, very few people who are both.

The END is nice. But how do we get it? We get pissed and attack tigers head on. That is neither rational or sane! It sounds more like giving up, binging, doing something colossally stupid, and managing to survive (where the END comes from I imagine). No one in their right mind fights deadly animals head on.

Hence the drinking.

On a side note, I'd love to find out if there is a way to combine some of the teachings of Zhang with aspects of the Wudang. Taking bits from both sides of the Force seems pretty cool, though perhaps now that our nature has been unleashed, we can't use Wudang techniques.

Kipeci

Arcane
Ah, Jing is pretty reckless as is. I don't think he needs more of that.

Much of his most reckless behavior (such as approaching our current master, going on the nightly excursion in Luoying, killing the heir of a sword school, etc.) is more up to the Codex than it is to him, he actually seems to have gotten a bit more cautious in the time he's not spent controlled by the Codex. Consider how careful he was during the time we were skulking after the scholar and his two assailants, before we were given away by the knife-throwing.

Most of the rift-jumping we do isn't set on automatic, we specifically choose it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Dude, after all that happened we are way past "sanity," if we're talking from a character standpoint Jing is much more likely to be a decent, friendly sort with C
In C, he becomes even more sociable, outgoing and friendly, but also a lot more aggressive, reckless and willing to get into a fight. This doesn't mean he's eager to kill; he did only beat down the animals into submission, not murder them. He'll become more honest astraightforward too.

I get wanting to curb his naturally impulsive tendencies, but that's who Jing is, the cocky, eat-shit-and-grin, naturally magnetic Tigerbro that doesn't give a fuck; and that's what sold me on him in the beginning. I prefer him as a leader of men to whom others can look up to, not some Garret/Denton knock-off in China.

From a mechanic standpoint, we need something we're the best at, something we can always fall back on, without having to tap into our neiggong and corrupt ourselves further.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Consider how careful he was during the time we were skulking after the scholar and his two assailants, before we were given away by the knife-throwing.

Only because he was being contrarian out of huffy spite. If the stupid girl's going to be reckless, he's going to refuse to play along and be cautious and not get carried away by her antics. :troll:

Otherwise if he'd been the one who spotted the people going off, the update would have been written in a way where he wants to follow more than he doesn't.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Do you really want to be the guy that says, "Hmm. I don't know what to do in this situation. I know. I'll get drunk!" and then does whatever ridiculous thing comes to mind. That's not a leader of men. That's white trash, idiot gang banger, or hillbilly.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You become more able to kill someone through brute physical force when your strength stat is high. Besides that, you can break things and smash stuff better, of course. Strength 9 means you're physically stronger than a good majority of the adult martial artists out there without even having to use your inner strength. They can only hope to match or surpass you if they use their neigong. With STR 8 you may encounter plenty of martial artists who can still be on par with you, or even overpower you in strength once they activate their neigong. With 9 that becomes rarer.

Brute strength is a perfectly viable way of solving fights (and other problems) if that's your cup of tea, and that's where strength excels.

VOTE C TO DEVELOP THE ART OF FURNITURE-FU!!!!

Baltika9

Arcane
That's an INT 3 fighter, we have INT 7. Nothing wrong with liquid courage, but that's not our answer to all problems. You're putting way too much emphasis on the alcohol, bro, treave also stated the other benefits of C character-wise, which is making him a more sociable and magnetic person. We have the brains, the charisma and creativity to lead. This will give us the personality.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You don't get a charisma increase in C. You're not more magnetic. Just more well-disposed towards other people up until they piss you off, then you smash them over the head with a wine jar. :lol:

At any rate, none of the choices gets rid of his cockiness. That shit is too ingrained in him to ever go away.

Ifeex - CA>AA
Zero Credibility - DA>BA>AA
The Brazilian Slaughter - BC
TOME - AA
Esquilax - CB
Jester - AC>DA
Kashmir Slippers - AA
Kipeci - CB
Azira - CB
kazgar - CB
Grimgravy - AC>BC>DC
ERYFKRAD - CA>CB
m4davis - CA
Smashing Axe - AA>BA>DA
Baltika9 - CB
Lambchop19 - BC/AC/CC
XenomorphII - BB
Nevill - BB
Tigranes - BB
ScubaV - BB
LWC1996 - BA
Absinthe - A>B>D
Bloodshifter - DC

Current tally:

1. A - 6, B - 7, C - 8, D - 2

2. A - 8, B - 9, C - 5

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
With our current rate at gathering enemies and our rather alarming tendency to begin starting hostile relationship with people we barely know, we really need all the help we can in that regard.
I wouldn't be against D, in fact, but that option has no votes behind it.

Kipeci

Arcane
Wait, what? Why is 2A winning, again? Was there some sort of major argument supporting that that I missed?

Esquilax

Arcane
:lol: Baltika9 has a tendency to stretch things because he thinks a particular choice is cool. I think we're all aware of that by now.

Much of his most reckless behavior (such as approaching our current master, going on the nightly excursion in Luoying, killing the heir of a sword school, etc.) is more up to the Codex than it is to him, he actually seems to have gotten a bit more cautious in the time he's not spent controlled by the Codex. Consider how careful he was during the time we were skulking after the scholar and his two assailants, before we were given away by the knife-throwing.

Most of the rift-jumping we do isn't set on automatic, we specifically choose it.

You don't think having an already reckless character become even more reckless isn't a bad idea? We only have our character's perspective and interpretation of events to go on when he is in a potentially dangerous situation, so if his first instinct is to throw down in a situation that might result in getting fucked up very badly, that affects how our character interprets things (i.e. "yeah, these guys aren't so tough, I bet I could take 'em"), and in turn, it affects how we vote. The measly extra point in END won't do us much good if Jing is spoiling to fight all the time and not aware of potentially dangerous situations. A trait like that could totally be used against us by a perceptive individual.

Yes, I like the END boost a lot, but I think that the intangibles here show a lot of potential for bad situations with an extremely reckless character in our situation. I thought we initially agreed to calm some of Jing's aggression when we started with the character, going in the opposite direction feels like a step backwards in terms of his personal development.

Kipeci

Arcane
You don't think having an already reckless character become even more reckless isn't a bad idea? We only have our character's perspective and interpretation of events to go on when he is in a potentially dangerous situation, so if his first instinct is to throw down in a situation that might result in getting fucked up very badly, that affects how our character interprets things (i.e. "yeah, these guys aren't so tough, I bet I could take 'em"), and in turn, it affects how we vote.

No, I don't think it's a problem, considering what our character is. We mostly gain in skill by getting out of hairy situations; if Jing influences our decisions so that we're more likely to walk into them instead of sneaking around the back door as the Codex tends to do when it senses danger, that will help us to grow stronger. That's how we are as an unorthodox fighter, instead of meditating and practicing endlessly on high mountaintops.

If you don't care for that, well, you should pull out your time machine and change your vote for Wudang again. We've passed that time.

The measly extra point in END won't do us much good if Jing is spoiling to fight all the time and not aware of potentially dangerous situations. A trait like that could totally be used against us by a perceptive individual.

Yeah, and you think that the measly extra point in perception will suddenly make us some sort of super aware mastermind of the situation? Anyway, some amount of stumbling in blind is better for our growth in power as I stated above. I wanted the most highly perceptive character possible at the start, but that's not who we are now. Endurance will serve us well during the harsh rigors of our training.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol: Baltika9 has a tendency to stretch things because he thinks a particular choice is cool. I think we're all aware of that by now.
Yeah, everyone here is guilty of that to some extent, don't even try to obfuscate that and point at me as the only one doing it (ahem, I'm looking at you, Garrett) :lol:

Look, personality wise, C makes Jing more sociable, honest and likeable. Impulsive, sure, but we can work with that to control it and, in fact, the little group we had gathering at the Manor we can recruit through our charms and friendliness and have them cover our weaknesses. I really never saw Jing as the stealthy commando type, he was definitely always a resourceful, cocky warrior with personal magnetism.
That END boost simply prolongs our fighting life, you're the ring fighter so you know how that works, and with that strength bonus we'll be a friggin' killer in a fight with a trick we can always rely on.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I really want that intelligence increase, but B's the next best thing. If we could just get our perception to 6 and our intelligence to 8, we'd have the beginning of a talent to adapt and incorporate existing techniques into our own unique one. Further, we'd be able to with time to change the maniac's killing techniques into something else. We're almost there, but only A takes us to that plateau. Come on guys, A!

High intelligence and perception also makes us less reliant on a master, and once we've attained mastery, we'd be better able to overcome other masters through adaptation.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'll make another argument for 2C. We need to remember that these are all untested techniques. I'd prefer an unarmed choice because that's what the Maniac excels at. I don't like 2B because it's TRYING to overwhelm the Wudang style with more and faster of exactly what it's designed to deal with. I could see it working against the low level Wudang mooks, but I don't think it will be effective against their stronger practitioners, let alone the Central Tao.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Absinthe said:
I like the 3(+2) Sneak too, but we also can't overlook the fact that Jing really needs to learn about Traps. He will probably encounter them in the future, but if he doesn't know the first thing about them, it's gonna suck.
Who needs to worry about traps with maximum AG?

treave said:
B, which has a bit more of focus on trolling through deeds, not words.
Purrrfect. :cool:

Baltika9 said:
From a mechanic standpoint, we need something we're the best at, something we can always fall back on, without having to tap into our neiggong and corrupt ourselves further.
If we go for silent headhunter style, the need to call upon Primordial Chaos would be rarer than if we channel MAXIMUM FUCK power and fight everyone head on.

Esquilax said:
Yes, I like the END boost a lot, but I think that the intangibles here show a lot of potential for bad situations with an extremely reckless character in our situation.
Maximum evasion will make more use out of END 5 than MAXIMUM FUCK out of END 6.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
No, I don't think it's a problem, considering what our character is. We mostly gain in skill by getting out of hairy situations; if Jing influences our decisions so that we're more likely to walk into them instead of sneaking around the back door as the Codex tends to do when it senses danger, that will help us to grow stronger. That's how we are as an unorthodox fighter, instead of meditating and practicing endlessly on high mountaintops.

The rift-jumping Codex? The one that decides to chat up the dangerous looking man in the room on a whim? Or is it the one that goes off into the unknown in search of the unorthodox martial arts world instead of going through more reputable sects? Because the Codex that you're talking about, that one I'm not familiar with.

Yeah, and you think that the measly extra point in perception will suddenly make us some sort of super aware mastermind of the situation? Anyway, some amount of stumbling in blind is better for our growth in power as I stated above. I wanted the most highly perceptive character possible at the start, but that's not who we are now. Endurance will serve us well during the harsh rigors of our training.

Good point. However, I never meant to imply that the extra PER point would make us omniscient - really, I like this more for the extra AGI and the stealth boost.

Yeah, everyone here is guilty of that to some extent, don't even try to obfuscate that and point at me as the only one doing it (ahem, I'm looking at you, Garrett) :lol:

I mentioned a high AGI character with good stealth skills and compared him to a potential Garret-type maybe once or twice throughout this LP. You've brought it up more than I have.

Look, personality wise, C makes Jing more sociable, honest and likeable. Impulsive, sure, but we can work with that to control it and, in fact, the little group we had gathering at the Manor we can recruit through our charms and friendliness and have them cover our weaknesses. I really never saw Jing as the stealthy commando type, he was definitely always a resourceful, cocky warrior with personal magnetism.
That END boost simply prolongs our fighting life, you're the ring fighter so you know how that works, and with that strength bonus we'll be a friggin' killer in a fight with a trick we can always rely on.

That's fair. I never saw him as the commando type either, but the qinggong we've got is really well suited to that sort of style. Eventually, yeah, I suppose we can look to travel with the scholar in the future - y'know, if we make it past the nuns.

To be honest, I'd still rather D win: I like the idea of moulding Jing's character to become zen and detached even though his qi is a raging bubble of primordial chaos.

Kipeci

Arcane
The rift-jumping Codex? The one that decides to chat up the dangerous looking man in the room on a whim? Or is it the one that goes off into the unknown in search of the unorthodox martial arts world instead of going through more reputable sects? Because the Codex that you're talking about, that one I'm not familiar with.

Yeah, and what's the common theme of those choices? We didn't have enough information to decide that it was to dangerous to do that. Most people thought that the rift wouldn't be anything really too dangerous for our God-King Ean-- certainly not something that would hold him in for thousands of years-- we thought that the Southern Maniac was just some strong guy, and we... well, I think the unorthodox one was actually more just certain people trying to pull Jing towards some sort of Hollywood rogue hero who doesn't play by the rules or something. There were quite a few moments in the Epic where we were in scenarios where danger was emphasized rather heavily and our response was instead to GTFO, such as during the earlier parts of the Senya chapter before we got a bit too comfortable with the 'well we have an automatic reload thing anyway, CHARGE' idea.

When the Codex is fairly certain that there aren't going to be many negative consequences to (especially heroic-ish) decisions, we tend to be more confident in choosing it. Even our strategies for convincing other people to flop are almost all based around convincing people that if they don't choose one particular option RIGHT NOW, the rest of the LP is going to be a failure that will go down in flames because we didn't get that healing technique and can't repair a boo-boo, resulting in gangrene and systemic organ failure.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mechanics is up to treave anyway - no one here is sure how it really works. It's not like there is a manual. So yeah, we aren't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom