Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
Well, there was that one time we could have consumed that holy fire thing....Then again that would have caused ancient china's equivalent of nuclear blast.

Then again 9 masters isn't in the same scale as holy fire...Or is it!?
I doubt it. That fire nuked our neigong cap from 15 to 10. Ahura was destroyed by it. The Amesha Spenta were having a terrible time controlling the flame with a special technique meant to do exactly that. And we could still have absorbed ALL of it before exploding. By comparison nine elders should be quite doable, even if it is pushing our limits a bit. But that's how we grow from the experience.

Moreover, with B, we still have to fight a 1v9 challenge using their own techniques. Even though I'm sure we'll beat the elders this way, it's still going to cost us, and I would have doubts about facing the abbot who is even stronger after we expend strength getting past the 9 elders. On the other hand, if we do C, we will face the abbot in the best condition possible. I think that is what we need.

Well, the list of things Shaolin would want to have a word with us about is growing.

You already will have to explain why the Holy Maiden travels with you, then you'll have to comment on where you've got your qi leeching skills, and finally I assume you want to be able to use WQS on the Abbott with all the qi you've leeched. That is going to be one long talk, and I would not be so sure about it's outcome.
...And we'll talk about them? As an honorary member they would respect our words. And hiding our ability to absorb qi is a ridiculous thought. The effects are already noticeable, so they will ask us about it anyway.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The effects are already noticeable, so they will ask us about it anyway.
The whole reason it becomes noticeable and recognizable is because you make it the focus of your strategy.

But I am not about to walk into discussing techniques. Just no.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
*sigh*

The impact is rather obvious. Your opponents will be all WTF SHIT when you start draining noticeably.
when you start draining noticeably.
noticeably.
If you make it your main strategy, that's how they notice - because you don't usually get weaker if the other person grips you and does not harm you otherwise.

If you battle them as you normally do, it is not very noticeable - compared to, say, Shouwang Claws to the head.

Ask treave for confirmation on this, because it is so obvious I don't even want to argue that point.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Right, so against master-level neigong when we give them a decent leeching they shouldn't notice their neigong vanishing because neigong masters just happen to leak qi all the time. Well, lets ask treave: Could you make a ruling on whether or not they would notice us leeching their qi in B?

And if we don't leech their qi in B, Nevill, then B is a lost cause because there is no way we will handle the abbot in an exhausted condition like that. The nine elders are strong enough to make Yunzi think twice in her regular state. The abbot is even stronger and more skilled. Heck, I have my doubts about succeeding with B even using leeching because the abbot is that fucking strong and we will still enter that fight worn out and unable to copy the abbot's moves.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
The question is if we want to steamroll and get stunted relations with the monks - and we would come out of it better if we wouldn't even start this then, or if we want to semisteamroll and get a relations boost.

Esquilax

Arcane
Aw shit, Kayerts, you got me there. I am probably just butthurt that we decided to go with dorky puzzle-solving rather than going through the trial with Yunzi. Shamefur dispray. In my defense, I made those statements while I was still on A.

Okay, those are some good arguments, Absinthe, and it seems to me that, without Yunzi, C is the most obvious path to victory here. We use the qi-leeching on the elders, then hopefully we'll have enough inner strength to mimic the Abbot's own techniques. However, I think there's an angle you're not considering with B:

You unleash Wuxiang Qiankun upon them. Even the strongest of the elders here only have inner strength matching yours; given the wide variety of Shaolin techniques you can expect to be thrown at you in the next few seconds, this is a good chance to witness as many techniques as you can while at the same time defeating them with their own moves. You might even be able to use those moves against the Abbot later.

With nine Shaolin elders attacking us all at once while we use Wuxiang Qiankun, we'll pretty much download the entire Shaolin curriculum instantly. We won't need to copy the Abbot's moves, because we'll probably get every single move from Shaolin Temple for the next brief while in the battle against the elders. The knowledge of these skills will remain with us for a couple of hours, which is more than enough time to take on the Abbot.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A - Possibility to impress the Abbot to not fight a full battle, just like with Xuxian ("defeat this one technique..."). Keeps our techniques hidden but can screw the fight against the Abbot if he is not impressed. Highest respects from Shaolin if successful.
B - Not an instawin, but can really impress the Shaolin if we show we can control one of the legendary techniques.
C - Feels like an instawin button. But it is the challenge we win, not the hearts and minds of the monks. Still, earns us some respect and a title.

A, but I don't mind if any of the others win.

Absinthe

Arcane
You know Akkudakku, when treave says they would "mildly disapprove" I think "stunted relations" is really an exaggeration. Treave, could you weigh in on this ridiculous rep debate?

Esquilax, I know we'd keep their techniques to use against the abbot. That's the only reason we'd even have a fighting chance. But I think we have to remember that the abbot is stronger than the nine elders to begin with, so I don't think "partial strength Jing + nine elder techniques" is going to win against him. On the other hand, "boosted strength Jing + Abbot techniques" does look like a sure win to me.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, lets ask treave: Could you make a ruling on whether or not they would notice us leeching their qi in B?
Gee, I wonder.
Luanshi Wuchangdao (亂世無常道, Impermanent Way of the Chaotic World)
You are able to absorb the internal energy of others at a moderate rate when in physical contact when in a chaotic state. (+2 Strength, +2 Agility, +2 Endurance (Chaos), +2 Perception (Order))
Wuxiang Qiankun Skill (無相乾坤功, Formless Universe Skill)
Level 2: A legendary neigong technique that births form from formlessness, allowing the user to imitate both the form and essence of another’s techniques even if it would normally require years of practice or decades of inner strength cultivation. You are able to mimic the techniques of practitioners with the same or lower level of internal energy when in an orderly state.

Absinthe

Arcane
Nevill, if we don't use chaos mode at all, we aren't going to recover enough strength for the abbot, so that's a loss. And at rank 1, we were unable to maintain order mode the entire time, so I don't know how rank 2 will fare. But treave can answer this.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Okay, those are some good arguments, Absinthe, and it seems to me that, without Yunzi, C is the most obvious path to victory here. We use the qi-leeching on the elders, then hopefully we'll have enough inner strength to mimic the Abbot's own techniques. However, I think there's an angle you're not considering with B:

You unleash Wuxiang Qiankun upon them. Even the strongest of the elders here only have inner strength matching yours; given the wide variety of Shaolin techniques you can expect to be thrown at you in the next few seconds, this is a good chance to witness as many techniques as you can while at the same time defeating them with their own moves. You might even be able to use those moves against the Abbot later.

With nine Shaolin elders attacking us all at once while we use Wuxiang Qiankun, we'll pretty much download the entire Shaolin curriculum instantly. We won't need to copy the Abbot's moves, because we'll probably get every single move from Shaolin Temple for the next brief while in the battle against the elders. The knowledge of these skills will remain with us for a couple of hours, which is more than enough time to take on the Abbot.

Can we copy those techniques now with B, and then use those techniques against the Abbot while in chaotic state and while qi-draining? That would be very likely a winning strategy.

Tigranes

Arcane
I was all set on B, but then Absinthe made one excellent point: given the Abbott's stance on Xuxian's forbidden skill, what is he going to think once Jing demonstrates another forbidden skill? It I am sure is going to be more offensive than C. I think any argument for B has to take that into account, there's no way they will be happy to see B, one is a LEGENDARY FORBIDDEN TEKUNIKKU, another is a kind of cheesy trick.

In that sense, C for now, because I do think A will blow our load before the Abbott. It's not great for the crowd, but it would get us into a very nice showdown with the Abbott where we can finally show our ZJ skills.

Nevill

Arcane
As far as I understand, copying the techniques rely on Wuxiang Qiankun, and you can only use it in an orderly state. Once your qi dissolves into chaos, so does your 'knowledge' of the techniques, because you don't really learn them.

I guess this is where learning techs instantly with lvl4 of WQS could help.

Tigranes, that's funny, because just a few updates ago...
Ah fuck, something occurred to me - according to this logic, wouldn't it make sense that we have to do the trial with Xuxian as well? Not to shoulder his sins, but because of the fact that we also bear a legendary technique. In fact, perhaps our sin is greater than Xuxian's, because not only did we learn a forbidden manual, we shared that knowledge with Bai Jiutian and Xuezi (though I suspect that immortals are sorta exempt from the rules here). If by some miracle we pull through, we probably have to come clean about this too.
No, because we are not subject to Shaolin's laws. Hell if we use Wuxiang Qiankun in the challenge we are also proving we can use Wuxiang Qiankun responsibly. It would be absurd for them to suddenly decide it was good enough for one legendary skill but not another.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Nevill, Xuxian's challenge had specific terms for proving you can use the technique safely in accordance with Shaolin principles. Jing's challenge doesn't have the same restrictions applied, so we can't say it would prove his responsibility the same way.

But I do agree that using Wuxiang Qiankun should be permissible, as treave said:
Well, it's not a good thing to steal what others have cultivated, but as long as you're not using it in a manner that makes it permanent theft, it's only at the level of being mildly disagreeable. It's not going to wow them, but they won't exactly bay for your blood either, if you aren't abusing it on helpless people.

It will draw attention though. It's not a common ability, and most manual sources for learning this are downright vicious ones, like telling you to devour live puppies to gain the ability. That's not the case for you but a flagrant use like this will definitely raise questions you may have to deal with later on. Ditto for B though.

My biggest concern is that we need to be at our best strength to defeat the abbot. Unlike Xuxian's challenge we have to outright defeat this powerful abbot so I think we need the powerup that C offers.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Nevill, Xuxian's challenge had specific terms for proving you can use the technique safely in accordance with Shaolin principles. Jing's challenge doesn't have the same restrictions applied, so we can't say it would prove his responsibility the same way.

But I do agree that using Wuxiang Qiankun should be permissible, as treave said:
Well, it's not a good thing to steal what others have cultivated, but as long as you're not using it in a manner that makes it permanent theft, it's only at the level of being mildly disagreeable. It's not going to wow them, but they won't exactly bay for your blood either, if you aren't abusing it on helpless people.

It will draw attention though. It's not a common ability, and most manual sources for learning this are downright vicious ones, like telling you to devour live puppies to gain the ability. That's not the case for you but a flagrant use like this will definitely raise questions you may have to deal with later on. Ditto for B though.

My biggest concern is that we need to be at our best strength to defeat the abbot. Unlike Xuxian's challenge we have to outright defeat this powerful abbot so I think we need the powerup that C offers.
Or we could use the absorb option on the abbot...

Absinthe

Arcane
The abbot doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will indulge our games. If we reach that final stage, he will just try to defeat us on the spot.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
The abbot doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will indulge our games. If we reach that final stage, he will just try to defeat us on the spot.
So you think 9 other wise old men will get into it and the abbot wont?

Nevill

Arcane
I find it depressing that the discuss has shifted towards choosing between leeching from the Abbott after we expend our energy with WQS, and copying his moves after we leech from 9 old men.

No one seems to value a good honest fight anymore. :(
asxetos B
Baltika9 B
Kz3r0 B
Esquilax B>A
Elfberserker A
Smashing Axe C>B
Fangshi B
XenomorphII B
Nevill A
profreshinal B
tropic B
Ifeex B>A
Kashmir Slippers A
Rex Feral A>C
ChumBucket B
ERYFKRAD A
Absinthe C
Akkudakku B>C
Jester C>A
GreyViper B
TOME A
Tigranes C
archaen C

A - 6 (7)
B - 12 (13)
C - 5 (3)

Absinthe

Arcane
I prefer to take the option we have now rather than the option you think we might possibly get later. Heck, lets ask treave if we'd get an option to leech the abbot like this. But if we get to pick an order for Wuxiang Qiankun and leeching, I'd say leeching first is the way to go.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Besides, what is stopping us from leeching the abbott?

Absinthe

Arcane
Probably the fact that he will suspect something is up if we try to get into a contest of qi strength with him when we enter the fight worn-out, so he won't even bother indulging us? Anyway, I already asked treave if we'd have that option. A lot of points of contention right now are waiting on treave to resolve.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
I prefer to take the option we have now rather than the option you think we might possibly get later. Heck, lets ask treave if we'd get an option to leech the abbot like this. But if we get to pick an order for Wuxiang Qiankun and leeching, I'd say leeching first is the way to go.
You know what I would be willing to flop to straight C - if it is only inconviniencing to those people and they wont get MAD... but only IF we tell where we got the skill.

Esquilax

Arcane
I find it depressing that the discuss has shifted towards choosing between leeching from the Abbott after we expend our energy with WQS, and copying his moves after we leech from 9 old men.

You know what, you're right. There's just too much number-crunching going on and we're getting stuck in our own rhetoric. I believe that the Abbot is a good man, and that he values spirit, heart, tenacity, honor and mercy as much as raw skill in battle. He has shown himself a reasonable and noble man, if strict with his rules. If we defeat the Nine Elders in an honest battle, I believe that we'll have other ways to show that we're worthy to bear the name of Shaolin.

I mean, for fuck's sake, we're Zhang Jue's disciple and we've been approaching this gauntlet like a massive fucking pussy. I'm sick of these safe choices and I'm willing to expend the energy on this big fight, because I think that there's more than one way to win this challenge.

If this fucks up, I'm blaming Azira!

I've flopped back to A > B. I'm also probably going to flop several more times before this vote ends too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom