Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
Kipeci, I barely give shits about technique ranks myself for the reasons Esquilax elaborated, but I find them a cheap way of communicating "dude we are fucking good at this" (ie. progression) so I do it anyway. Now, I hope you aren't arguing that Zhang Jue's Shouwang Claws (his signature technique) is a poor offense. Yes, I happen to believe it can plow through the abbot's defense and kill him. For instance: "Style Four - White Tortoiseshell Breaker - a style of forming claws strong and sharp enough to puncture the defences of the opponent, no matter their ability." Then we have "Style Six - Raging Claws of the Mad Lion - qi-enhanced swipes with the potential to tear up the earth and bring down trees in a wide swathe of destruction." ZJ is pretty good at his shit, and if I had to guess, he did have Jinzhongzhao (and whatever other defense the Abbot Fangzhang might use) in mind when he came up with Style 4.

And no, we didn't use those styles when we attacked Zhang Manxing.

S'yeah, I think killing the abbot is a real possibility if we get reckless, but if that doesn't convince you, have a treave quote:
As for what happens afterwards, it does partly depend on your showing here. You can't expect to be given the same options that you would should you do something like, say, killing the Abbot, for example.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Kipeci, I barely give shits about technique ranks myself for the reasons Esquilax elaborated, but I find them a cheap way of communicating "dude we are fucking good at this" (ie. progression) so I do it anyway.

So you know that it's bullshit but you say it anyway to convince voters to your side. How heroic.

Now, I hope you aren't arguing that Zhang Jue's Shouwang Claws (his signature technique) is a poor offense. Yes, I happen to believe it can plow through the abbot's defense and kill him.

I'm not saying it's a poor offense; rather, I think that it's on the higher spectrum of our offensive power and that those sorts of moves will be the only way to think about harming the Abbot while he's actively using his technique unless he starts getting tricky. What I don't believe is that we think that his flesh will suddenly become tissue paper and that his heavily scarred, intense body pumped up by all that defensive ability will be completely shredded to bits, leading to an instant fatality to one of the heads of Chinese pugilism from one technique.

For instance: "Style Four - White Tortoiseshell Breaker - a style of forming claws strong and sharp enough to puncture the defences of the opponent, no matter their ability." Then we have "Style Six - Raging Claws of the Mad Lion - qi-enhanced swipes with the potential to tear up the earth and bring down trees in a wide swathe of destruction."

Aside from against Zhang Jue (whom we presumably used both against), we've used at least style 6 as explicitly named against Xuxian and Zuo Qingfeng, to say nothing of any times the technique wasn't mentioned by name or the other times when Jing used 'everything he knew' without things specifically being mentioned. Myself, I can't see why Jing pouring all of his strength into one last screw-you move against zhang wouldn't be as penetrative as the style four. Anyway, you'll note that the curious thing about the folks that I named about those folks is that they're still alive... as is Jing, who we know took Zhang Jue's style six from one of the very first fights in the chapter as well as the extremely probable knowledge that Zhang Jue utilized Style 4 against him in their training fights, because why wouldn't he? That's his role as a teacher, and Zhang Jue doesn't hold back.

Despite our best efforts, Xu Jing is also alive. You'll notice that this means that these techniques aren't buttons to press to instantly kill the opponent, at least provided that you don't have the intent to or else that they're sufficiently skilled. Xu Jing doesn't want to kill the Abbot and, operating at about 70%, I don't think he has it in him to actually straight up kill the Abbot. Maybe if he was supercharged still.

ZJ is pretty good at his shit, and if I had to guess, he did have Jingzhongzhou (and whatever other defense the Abbot Fangzhang might use) in mind when he came up with Style 4.

Right, I'm on board with that, and the thing is that they fought. Now, if this technique is so good that Xu Jing not trying to kill the highly experienced and capable Abbot will instantly slice him up, how is it that Fangzhang survived the encounter when we know that Zhang Jue doesn't hold anything back?

S'yeah, I think killing the abbot is a real possibility if we get reckless, but if that doesn't convince you, have a treave quote:

That quote is a hypothetical that was presented well before we gave up the chance for a supercharge. You'll have a lot of things to be paranoid about when the actual update comes up, don't build up arguments before we're even presented with the choices.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
She is going to write in her diary. It is a little pink one with a stylized drawing of Zhang Jue on it. Shirtless in briefs.

It will go a little something like this:

"Dear diary,

HE KISSED ME!!! omg omg omg... He kissed me... well I mean I kissed him but he kissed back!

Still got to beat the stuffing out of him though. Can't have him thinking I am easy or anything... not like that skank Qilin... phhf number three...

Still it was a great day. We beat up the abbot and are honorary monks now. It was sooo romantic!"

Then she will doodle a little stick figure Jing and Yunzi with hearts around them kissing...

That is totally what she will do!
:bro:

And about something totaly diferent. We should try to ally with all of the still existing frat bro sects. All of those that are not paid by the zhang clan will be invaluable in stopping nie's and zhang's plot.

Absinthe

Arcane
Kipeci, a few points:
  1. I don't think Xu Jing used full power or killing intent on Xuxian.
  2. If Xuxian was capable of cutting off Fangci's entire arm, then I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Jing could do something similar with his specialized cutting moves.
  3. I don't think Fangzhang was crazy enough to let Zhang Jue land his moves on him properly. Judging by the elders, Fangzhang wouldn't mind fighting dirty against ZJ anyhow. But I'm not sure Fangci will have that skill or luxury.
  4. While supercharged Jing is certainly most likely to have the power for a proper killing blow, Jing and Yunzi at 70% is still an incredibly strong duo, and I'm just saying if there's an option to go crazy, we're better off not taking that.

Baltika9

Arcane
What? I was just saying how romantic it would be if we built a collaborative style from the Shouwang Claws between Jing and Yunzi (Crimson Dance of the Royal Tigers?)

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I don't think Xu Jing used full power or killing intent on Xuxian.

And you think that Xu Jing will be maxing out killing intent on the Abbot? Full power maybe because we want our blows to scratch the guy, but we sure aren't intending to kill him.

If Xuxian was capable of cutting off Fangci's entire arm, then I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Jing could do something similar with his specialized cutting moves.

Fangci himself said that he underestimated the sort of furious attack that Xuxian would launch; he wasn't prepared to defend himself from that sort of move. Jing is no stranger to removing arms, but combined with that he doesn't want to and that his opponent is a very skilled pugilist with strong defensive skills when he wishes to use them I don't think it's likely.

I don't think Fangzhang was crazy enough to let Zhang Jue land his moves on him properly. Judging by the elders, Fangzhang wouldn't mind fighting dirty against ZJ anyhow. But I'm not sure Fangci will have that skill or luxury.

Since when has Fangzhang seemed like the evasive flighty type to dodge every blow that comes his way? Every time we saw him fight he took things straight on, countering it with his blocking skill, including meeting powerful attacks with his straight head/other head. You think that the fight with Zhang Jue was just all of them dancing out of the way without ever getting hit a single time?

While supercharged Jing is certainly most likely to have the power for a proper killing blow, Jing and Yunzi at 70% is still an incredibly strong duo, and I'm just saying if there's an option to go crazy, we're better off not taking that.

Using the bread and butter claw techniques is hardly going crazy, if we're going to limit ourselves that much in a fight we're probably going to lose.

Also, to quote my last post:

You'll have a lot of things to be paranoid about when the actual update comes up, don't build up arguments before we're even presented with the choices.

Absinthe

Arcane
Seriously, when Fangzhang takes blows head on or just straight blocks them, that's not him fighting intelligently. That's just him showing off his toughness. I'm sure against serious opponents his fighting style becomes considerably more varied.

We have chaos palms to overcome Jinzhongzhao anyway (which is weaker against qi strikes), so I'd rather not go wild with Shouwang Claws.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Seriously, when Fangzhang takes blows head on or just straight blocks them, that's not him fighting intelligently. That's just him showing off his toughness. I'm sure against serious opponents his fighting style becomes considerably more varied.

We have chaos palms to overcome Jinzhongzhao anyway (which is weaker against qi strikes), so I'd rather not go wild with Shouwang Claws.

Agreed. We have to play tactiacaly just like in the former challenges.

Ifeex

Augur
C.

I might be convinced to flop though, C does remind me of that Duancao Legs choice back at the duel in Songfeng.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
C.

FROM HAREM TO HIVEMIND.

That out of the way, I vaguely suspect we'd last longer than Yunzi would as the lead.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
C.

I might be convinced to flop though, C does remind me of that Duancao Legs choice back at the duel in Songfeng.
Odd, it reminds me more of the way we formulated that Fish Stab(?) in the duel that followed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
That said, I think it's better if we don't apply WQS to match Yunzi. Two people applying the same spread of techniques might have lesser odds compared to two different ranges of techniques altogether.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
That said, I think it's better if we don't apply WQS to match Yunzi. Two people applying the same spread of techniques might have lesser odds compared to two different ranges of techniques altogether.

Not how I see it. We synchronize to the level where we share techs and movements with her, true. But working in perfect unison, almost sharing senses is more powerful anyway, its difficult to defend against perfect attacks from multiple directions.

And this will have it's use in any later fight.

And remember she has Wuying Leipo Kick. If we both use it against the Abbot, well I believe it should work.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I see your point as well. I do prefer a more chaotic approach, however.

In light of which, I'm amending my vote to B>C.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is not very reasonable to think that Yunzi would follow you. The race is still on, and the disagreement might cost us.

Seeing as how many of us wanted to see WQS in action in either of the last two fights, I don't find many arguments in favor of keeping it a secret (that weren't made already, and that didn't stop anyone). You can't possibly find a better cause to use it than this.

If I have to throw a wild guess, one of this choices leads to defeat, one leads to one of us winning, and one allows us to finish as a team.

I suppose that means C for me.

Yunzi’s answer is quick and simple. She attacks, her fist hurtling towards the back of the Abbot’s shaven head. He steps aside, the passage of her arm barely grazing his ear, and swiftly brings his elbow up behind him and into her abdomen. Seeing the move coming, Yunzi spins in mid-air, avoiding the worst of it. Before she has landed, you have already moved forward, attempting to strike the Abbot while his attention is still on her. Your claws swing towards him, but he has read your intentions and strikes your arms with his own; the power behind his blows push your attacks away, rendering you unable to land a clean hit.
The Abbot has speed to match Yunzi's and power to match ours, as long as we are separate. I wonder if he has an answer fighting a single mind in two bodies, though.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
It is not very reasonable to think that Yunzi would follow you. The race is still on, and the disagreement might cost us.

Seeing as how many of us wanted to see WQS in action in either of the last two fights, I don't find many arguments in favor of keeping it a secret. You can't possibly find a better cause to use it than this.

If I have to throw a wild guess, one of this choices leads to defeat, one leads to one of us winning, and one allows us to finish as a team.

I suppose that means C for me.
:bro: It shall be a bonding moment for these two. Well third one this day :D

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think of it as less of a bonding moment, and more of a something that allows us to sidestep the point of contention without avoiding it. Instead of having one of us lead, which is important to both of them, why not have us go both at the same time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom