Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ScubaV

Prophet
Excellent work everyone. The Zhang Jue false ending was exceptionally lulzy, the monk and Armaiti wingman action in the true update was brofist-worthy, and the Codex trolling treave for once with the flip-flops is the cherry on top.

Jester

Arbiter
It seems pretty stupid to laugh like that at the expense of the guy who just beat the 9 elders. Thats how super-villains are born.
I propose we keep the A option and make them PAY.
Hmm Evil Jing huh? Guess i got a new aim for this cyoa.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Later at Huashan summit in the alternate A universe:

"You have done well to this point Nie Wuxing and Lady Nie" Zhang Jue said with a wolf like grin on his face. "You have earned enough of my respect for you to see MY ultimate team technique. Come to me Jing'er, we must show them the glistening Shouwang Beast With Two Backs..."

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, making a collaborative technique based off of Shouwang Claws is one of my goals before the LP is out. Jing and Yunzi would be the perfect fit for that.

ChumBucket

Augur
Yeah, making a collaborative technique based off of Shouwang Claws is one of my goals before the LP is out. Jing and Yunzi would be the perfect fit for that.
They would, in all probability, rip people in half doing that.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Can we make it canon?
Hmm. Well, if you really want it to be cannon, we'd have to tie it in to the last update somehow...

Good End Part II

You reach out to take Master Zhang's hand with new found joy, but as your fingertips draw near to his, he fades away like a ghost and you are alone.

Tears fill your eyes again.

"What is this? Am I really so lonely that I would fabricate such an illusion?", you murmur to yourself in a mix of self-pity and anger.

"No. But did you really want it to be this way so soon?", a man's voice answers - seemingly from all around you.

"Who's there?", you answer back in surprise.

You begin to turn to look and see who it was, but as you are about to, the tree your master was standing in fades, just as he did. Then all the trees fade and the silhouette of the Shaolin temple in the distance fades as well, leaving you alone in a wide field filled only with moonlit grass.

A man, a feeble, old man, with a face unlike any you've seen before steps forward from seemly nowhere.

His skin is wrinkled and cracked as an old man's should be, but its paler hue and the shape of eyes both paint him clearly as a foreigner of some sort, even at night.

"Can it be? Can you finally hear my voice Xu Jing? Have I finally reached you?", the old man says coming face to face with you and brandishing a weathered grin. He speaks very well, but there is definitely an accent of a sort you have never heard. He's not Persian, that much is certain.

You stand in silence, wondering if anything of what you are witnessing is real.

"Oh, it's real, my boy", the old man says, as if in response to your thoughts, "but none of what happened earlier has to be real. I normally cannot access this world anymore - or any other for that matter - but you have a peculiar nature and have been...observable to me for some time. A lone light shinning in the dark void of my existence. For you only, my lucky friend, I am capable of rolling back events, just a little. To give you a second chance. It wouldn't be the first time I've done it either, so there's nothing to worry about. Just relax. I promise, everything will be alright."

"W-what? That's impossible. Just who are you, old man?"

Seeing your bewilderment, he puts his hand on your shoulder, gives you a warm smile and laughs.

"It's ok. You can trust me, Jing. Or my name isn't Diogenes Camna."

You look up at the sky and see no moon or stars. Only a great eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absinthe

Arcane
On this front, I may as well toss out a warning right now. I suspect that in the next update there will be an option for Jing to go crazy with Shouwang Claws against the Abbot. I know he has some great Jinzhongzhou but lets not do that. Back when we fought Guo Fu that was one thing, but Zhang Jue has taught Jing some truly special (rank TEN) moves since then designed to break through even the hardest defenses and murder the poor bastard, so I'm pretty sure that the combined onslaught of Jing and Yunzi with lethal moves will actually murder the abbot and then we will all be in deep shit.

Baltika9

Arcane
Can we make it canon?
Hmm. Well, if you really want it to be cannon, we'd have to tie it in to the last update somehow...
Good End Part II

You reach out to take Master Zhang's hand with new found joy, but as your fingertips draw near to his, he fades away like a ghost and you are alone.

"What is this? Am I really so lonely that I would fabricate such an illusion?", you murmur to yourself in a mix of self-pity and anger.

"No. But did you really want it to be this way so soon?", a man's voice answers - seemingly from all around you.

You begin to turn to look and see who it was, but as you are about to, the tree your master was standing in fades, just as he did. Then all the trees fade and the silhouette of the Shaolin temple in the distance fades as well, leaving you alone in a wide field filled only with moonlit grass.

A man, a feeble, old man, with a face unlike any you've seen before steps forward from seemly nowhere.

His skin is wrinkled and cracked as an old man's should be, but its paler hue and the shape of eyes both paint him clearly as a foreigner of some sort, even at night.

"Can it be? Can you finally hear my voice Xu Jing? Have I finally reached you?", the old man says coming face to face with you and brandishing a weathered grin. He speaks very well, but there is definitely an accent of a sort you have never heard. He's not Persian, that much is certain.

"Oh, it's real, my boy", the old man says, as if in response to your thoughts, "but none of what happened earlier has to be real. I normally cannot access this world anymore - or any other for that matter - but you have a peculiar nature and have been...observable to me for some time. A lone light shinning in the dark void of my existence. For you only, my lucky friend, I am capable of rolling back events , just a little. To give you a second chance. It wouldn't be the first time I've done it either, so there's nothing to worry about. Just relax. I promise, everything will be alright."

Seeing your bewilderment, he puts his hand on your shoulder, gives you a warm smile and laughs.

Man, why do you always have to be so pessimistic? :(
On this front, I may as well toss out a warning right now. I suspect that in the next update there will be an option for Jing to go crazy with Shouwang Claws against the Abbot. I know he has some great Jinzhongzhou but lets not do that. Back when we fought Guo Fu that was one thing, but Zhang Jue has taught Jing some truly special (rank TEN) moves since then designed to break through even the hardest defenses and murder the poor bastard, so I'm pretty sure that the combined onslaught of Jing and Yunzi with lethal moves will actually murder the abbot and then we will all be in deep shit.
Don't worry, between the White Tortiose Shell Breaker and kissing him, Bugs Bunny style, I will undoubtedly choose the latter.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Can we make it canon?
Good End Part II

"Oh, it's real, my boy", the old man says, as if in response to your thoughts, "but none of what happened earlier has to be real. I normally cannot access this world anymore - or any other for that matter - but you have a peculiar nature and have been...observable to me for some time. A lone light shinning in the dark void of my existence. For you only, my lucky friend, I am capable of rolling back events , just a little. To give you a second chance. It wouldn't be the first time I've done it either, so there's nothing to worry about. Just relax. I promise, everything will be alright."

Man, why do you always have to be so pessimistic? :(
It's actually optimism on my part. Every rollback brings him a little closer to reality again. :love:
Who knows what form he'll take when he finally manifests though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipeci

Arcane
You seem awfully sure that Guo Fu's specific expression of the technique as learned from a weird hobo is the pinnacle of all defensive ability. Hey, tell me, if the Shuowang Claws are that great to slice effortlessly through anything as we learned them how come we didn't murder the hell out of zhang when we slashed him with a full powered claw strike, regardless of his fancy vest? I'm sure that using that sort of high-powered move is going to be the only chance we have at hurting the Abbot at all if he has his defenses up without resorting to some other trick.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
You seem awfully sure that Guo Fu's specific expression of the technique as learned from a weird hobo is the pinnacle of all defensive ability. Hey, tell me, if the Shuowang Claws are that great to slice effortlessly through anything as we learned them how come we didn't murder the hell out of zhang when we slashed him with a full powered claw strike, regardless of his fancy vest? I'm sure that using that sort of high-powered move is going to be the only chance we have at hurting the Abbot at all if he has his defenses up without resorting to some other trick.
That wasnt the antiarmor move though.

Absinthe

Arcane
Kipeci, that was because we weren't using our more powerful and armor-breaking techniques. The real full-powered claw strike was the "don't use Wuxiang Qiankun" option. If we did that, he would have been dead.

Plus Zhang Manxing was a ridiculously lucky bastard which combined with Jing's ridiculously bad luck made his shit way more effective than it had any right to be.

Also, I suspect our rank 10 Shouwang Claws are at least close to the pinnacle of offensive ability.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
You leap towards him, covering the distance in a single bound. Before he can react, you allow your qi to collapse into chaos as you summon all your strength, raking your claws downwards and across his body.

This isn't at full power... right. We wanted the guy dead, we weren't half-assing the strike and we certainly weren't using WQS at that particular moment.

Regardless of that, we didn't shred straight through him and we've used our claws to fight against other opponents who don't even have the benefit of great protective skills to shield them from the worst of an attack without slaughtering all of them, at least not if they were competent fighters. I don't think that the Abbot's going to be a joke, saying that he's going to be flimsier with all his defensive skills and tough bod up than Zhang with literal metal vest and a bit of luck seems ridiculous to me. Why hadn't Zhang Jue killed the other masters already if his super-duper high level skills could cut them up to pieces so easily?

You put way too much stock in the whole 'level 10 technique' thing, I always see you bringing it up. The level is just in regards to our understanding of the technique as a whole, not how much it'll blow apart things with fury when we use it. It's biased to assign a higher level to techniques that require understanding of a large number of moves rather than a small number, regardless of the actual strength of all of those moves. I mean, you wouldn't say that the Nine Shadows sword skill that we picked up is considerably weaker than the Pine-Cutting Sword just because we understand our self-taught technique (such as it is emerging) much better than a bit of a legendary technique revealed to us by BJ, right

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Weird hobos keep many and various secrets alive. Often the pinnacle of said secrets. Our first master was one such weird hobo. Another has taught us the strongest palm tech. A third weird hobo commanded the Manly spear! Our current hobo master personally fucked up Japan for fun. Entering the ranks of the weird hobo is what we strive to achieve!

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Weird hobos keep many and various secrets alive. Often the pinnacle of said secrets. Our first master was one such weird hobo. Another has taught us the strongest palm tech. A third weird hobo commanded the Manly spear! Our current hobo master personally fucked up Japan for fun. Entering the ranks of the weird hobo is what we strive to achieve!
:bro: a hobo followed by a group of women. One weird hobo indeed :D

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
You seem awfully sure that Guo Fu's specific expression of the technique as learned from a weird hobo is the pinnacle of all defensive ability.

You take that back. If it weren't for weird hobos, we wouldn't have most of our best techniques. There definitely seems to be a correlation between being a weird hobo and being a total badass in the setting. Anyways, I've dug up a bunch of relevant quotes regarding how important "levels" are with respect to the power of various techniques:

...techniques don't operate on the 1-10 scale.
Every technique has a different cap, and it is not related to their relative power when compared to each other. And any changes or additions to the kicks would be considered a new technique. The levels in techniques are just an indicator of progression within that technique itself. Self-created techniques have no limit stated because they can always be added to.

It's nothing you guys need to obsess over.
Higher the number, the more you've progressed. No number generally means it isn't a standard technique. What I'm saying is that the endpoint shouldn't matter to you, what matters is what it can do for you right now. If you're talking about investing for the future, usually I do say which technique is a powerful one and which are less so.

Let's say you master the Bandit Axe. Does that mean it's definitely better than three levels of Conqueror's Spear? No. So don't get too hung up on mastery of any single technique.

Eighteen Palms means eighteen moves, of course.

As I understood it, technique "level" is more about the progression of the technique than any inherent power behind it. For example, we're at Level 9 for the Xianglong Eighteen Palms because we've progressed through nine moves of the technique. If we learn the full set of moves from Qi Liuwu, we're going to have the technique at Level 18. Now, this doesn't make the Xianglong Palms that much better than our other techniques, it just means that we've learned everything that there is to know about it. Wuxiang Qiankun is "only" at Level 2, yet it's by far the most powerful thing in our arsenal.

So basically, I wouldn't get too hung up on what the levels themselves mean. What matters much more is how you use the techniques and in what situations.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
I do totaly agree that going berserk will end in tears.

Manly tears of Master Zhang over his dead brothers body.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gentlemen, we are losing sight of the big picture here.
“…the second… no, third thing I’m going to do after restoring myself is to make you eat dirt. Alright, give it to me, if you are prepared for the consequences.”
The first thing Yunzi is going to do is kick the Abbott's ass. What is the second one?

Also, 'dat phrasing. :lol:

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Gentlemen, we are losing sight of the big picture here.

The first thing Yunzi is going to is to kick the Abbott's ass. What is the second one?

Also, 'dat phrasing.
Any fight with Yunzi after we are done with the Abbot is fair game, as it is after the contest.
While I do wonder what she is planning it shouldnt be anything too bad. I hope...

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, isn't everyone glad I saved them from embarrassment, heartbreak, and being Zhang's boy.
No. You are a horrible, horrible person, Lambchop19.

I had my post of shame prepared in advance, hoping against all odds that I would not have to resort to it, then you just had to flop to the homo option, leaving me no choice but to reveal myself as a popamoler that I am just after the big speech about choices one has to take no matter the cost.

I bear you a terrible, terrible grudge.

not really ;)

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
What is the second one?

She is going to write in her diary. It is a little pink one with a stylized drawing of Zhang Jue on it. Shirtless in briefs.

It will go a little something like this:

"Dear diary,

HE KISSED ME!!! omg omg omg... He kissed me... well I mean I kissed him but he kissed back!

Still got to beat the stuffing out of him though. Can't have him thinking I am easy or anything... not like that skank Qilin... phhf number three...

Still it was a great day. We beat up the abbot and are honorary monks now. It was sooo romantic!"

Then she will doodle a little stick figure Jing and Yunzi with hearts around them kissing...

That is totally what she will do!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom