Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Because someone warns them of BROdersu's arrival, which means at the very least they have some spies (Marduk's priests? Or maybe some unknown tentacles?)

And don't worry about Athena, she's just being tsundere. :incline:
    One day we should invite her to our breeding program. :smug:

Btw treave , did we send any of them to China?

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Offscreen stuff: No, but you've discussed it with them, Artemis tells you she has a way to get in contact with China, and basically says leave it to her. You probably can't make her go against her will since she'll just up and disappear into the woods, now that you've made Athena queen she won't leave Greece, and the Terror Twins would rather get their balls cut off than listen to your orders. So unless you want to send someone else, you're going to have to trust Artemis on this.

^ Top  
  3. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Saturday update?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbzouFaMJU4

treavebro, the LP king
    treavebro, the LP king
    treave, treave ,treave ,treave ,treave ,treave
    treavebro, the LP king
    Epic rules

Oh, and voting B. Barbarians won't respect us unless we prove ourselves in battle, but killing women and children won't engender respect, only hatred and fear.

^ Top  
  4. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    B
    Genocide is like wrong guys.

^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    A is ridiculous and way out of order - they haven't done anything near bad enough for such strong retribution and besides, we really don't want to set such precedents.

treave does D definitely mean staying in Greece? I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, though B seems the best to quell this threat for the moment.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You're currently in the Assyrian city of Ashur, as mentioned in the update. Doing nothing means you do nothing about the Gutians. Running an empire, there's always other things to occupy your time. Cities to visit, people to inspire etc.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh, we'll inspire them alright.

Some Greece questions: What is the general opinion of Ean and his Emprie right now (I know Athens is just keeping their mouths shut and sharpening knives when we're not looking, but what about the others?); What is the state of most of their cities (perfect condition/mostly repaired/kinda repaired/shithole)?; Has our Empire invented a public school system and/or orphanages (I think there's a good opportunity right there) yet?

Also, the guy behind the scenes is probably Naram, still having a hissy fit after the "Scepter of Ra" incident.

^ Top  
  8. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Not surprised that making Athena Queen wasn't such a good idea. If we gave an offer without any strings attached, she would have been much more willing to trust us. People were talking about how we had the upper hand in the negotiations and they were treating the situation like a hostile business takeover instead of a way to establish trust with the Olympians and heal old wounds from the Aegean War (i.e. killing Zeus). I hope we'll have some opportunities to turn things around from our bad first impression.

Why is it better than A? We know that the fire-and-steel approach worked quite well for Marduk, and it will work well for Ean. However, I definitely see how it sets a bad example for our people - perhaps we shouldn't go so far.

Anyways, I doubt that there's any immortal involvement in these attacks - the Gutians simply figured that with Marduk gone, Assyria was ripe for raiding again. It's far more likely that a few remaining Marduk loyalists in our administration got the word out that our men would be heading to Ashur. In fact, I've got a pretty good idea of who was behind this:

Dapimsin is the only major player from the old guard that is still alive at this point. He very likely has contact with a few Marduk sympathizers that we retained in our administration. From there, all he had to do was pay off some Gutian mercs and use his old contacts to find out where our army would be so his Gutians could ambush them.

I really think we ought to go with the "silver or lead" approach. The other Gutian tribes are well aware that Ean is fond of their people and has raised them to high positions. If they're given the choice between bending the knee or being slaughtered, they are far more likely to join us than they did Marduk.

Our Gutians are eager for blood, which makes diplomacy with the other tribes an unattractive option because it will alienate our bros.

^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I think this is a plot to lure Ean out into the mountains so Shulgi can cause a landslide and bury us and then proceed to takeover. It's happening guys, he's coming for us. The only way to counter him is to do what he least expects, which in this instance is nothing. Well, that's not true, I get the feeling from A that we won't be personally leading the effort, the scale of the operation sounds like it'd be hard for Shulgi to coordinate his rockslide so it might work. When fighting Shulgi his success depends on us doing what he expects, bravely leading a charge to fight off some Gutian dudes sounds like what he's expecting us to do. So I'm going to vote D.

And before you ask, yes, I've lost it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Shulgi remains popular even though he hasn't shown up since the first chapter. I really should find something for him to do.

^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Our stocks are going to plummet when people find out what happened to Gutians, after a few raids. It's a bit extreme. Sure, others are going to fear us, but it is going to make diplomacy very hard in the future. And I don't think our Gutian tribe will respect slaughtering innocent woman and children, even if they are with us at start. And it probably won't make wonders for Ean's personality. Firm and gentle reminder is the way to go here.

^ Top  
  12. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    treave, how long before you employ a timeskip so more advanced technology is introduced?

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Have him shapeshift into a woman, LARP a queen, get into bed with Ean and permakill him. Because, strangely, no one ever loves Ean. No good deed goes unpunished, as the old saying goes.
    :troll:
    Alternatively, have him bro around with us.

I seriously doubt it's Shulgi, he's probably the guy behind the Potato Ascendancy, leading the top secret Gieloth Extermination Unit, aka the TWitchers. If it's an Immortal, it's probably Naram. If not, it's probably Marduk's last priest, the one that got away. I'm almost sure that someone is pulling their strings and the wounds Gudersu has taken were meant for us.
    Of course, there's always the possibility that these guys just got too uppity and need to be smacked back into their place.

About Athena and Greece, I'm not surprised in the least, this is actually exactly what I expected (nothing difficult to read here, her first sentence already showed that she thinks of Ean as Lucifer's older brother). We'll have to win her loyalty and it's not going to be done by being an asslicker either. We'll need to be a good Emperor: just, loyal to those that are loyal to him and the one guy nobody wants to piss off. I also think that a good way to win her over is to be a tough, but fair Emperor to her (as in, we actually go to Greece from time to time, every year say, and inspect the country. Let her know what needs improving, what you like and don't like, etc... Also, undertake civil projects: build orphanages and schools, hence the question, treavebro.

Real leadership is not leading those that want to follow you, it's leading those that don't. Or something.

Edit:
    Not to mention Athena will pretty much secede immediately.

^ Top  
  14. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B

Edit: Why A is bad - we're trying to convince Athena that we're not Marduk 2.0. Going Hitler on the Gutians is not the best way to achieve it imo. Also, it seems Athena shares our principles - that the duty of the Immortals is to guide and protect Mankind. We must find a way to explain to her (or better yet, prove)that we're like that too.

Edit2: My thoughts on the Terasphagos: Seems like something is producing them on the other side of the Olympus Rift, sending them our way to gather biomass and return with it. Kinda like lesser Tyranid bioforms. We must be prepared when that something decides to spawn dedicated warrior breeds... or come through itself. ALSO, it would appear the Olympus Rift is a two-way gateway, since the Terasphagos routinely return home. How about sending some scouting parties through (since we don't have unmanned probes...)?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  16. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Artemis, now that's a proper goddess. Mm. Uhm, sorry, what was the topic?

The Terasphagos are gathering biomass, and as Storyfag said, that's very Tyranid-like. Since they are also made out of biomass themselves, I don't think it's just raw material harvesting (although that's possible) - could it be related to something specific in Current Terra genes that they're harvesting? Since there are multiple worlds with slightly different conditions (one with a missing replacement water chip, another with hundreds of them?), and this was supposed to be the control one (closely resembling the original world from which the masters came from before they ascended to lords of the universe?), perhaps there is a component that control-world beings have that non-control-world beings lack? Like an imperfection that makes them slightly less human (a safeguard that guarantees they aren't capable of the ascending like the original humans did?).

Also, I consulted my grimoire of clairvoyant insight and discovered the identity of the mysterious northern empire: Glorious Georgia!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
  18. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  19. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    This chapter will have updates that span months and years at the minimum, and there will be tech focuses. Technology will begin to advance at a faster rate than in our history once Ean manages to stabilize his little corner of the world.

^ Top  
  21. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    Thanks.
    More questions for you. Are there areas in the world free from tentacle and immortal infuence? Will you use the isolation of areas like Sub-saharan Africa, Polynesia, and the Americas to portray them more or less as they were when the whiteys met them? Have we utterly prevented the existence of the Christ and Islamic cancer? If not, how do we do that? Are there any empires able to rival ours?

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Jews... well... given that you have a strong empire going on that frowns strongly on inter-tribal conflicts, there's no room for them to do all that tribe smashing they mentioned in the Bible. You can assume they're still nomadic. Naram's probably palling about with them because he loves sheep. Whether a Jesus will still come about depends on many factors. The tentacles are right now concentrated in Central/South America, and there are some in the north, and you'll always find a few loners scattered here and there about the world, creating their own cults. Immortal wise, the only large group is in China now that Marduk ate most of the Greek pantheon.

As far as rivals go, in terms of military, economic and cultural power only the Xia in China can be your equals once you get into stride. The Hittites would be hard to deal with militarily if you don't take into account the superhuman gap. The kingdom in the north is still considered a fledgling one. They don't hold too much territory, but their people are industrious. The details will be in the next update when Edem returns from his little trip.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol:I'm sure he does. So, he's the one that's going to be Moses, eh? Somehow, I'm not surprised. Bros, we'd better be prepared for him to whip up his people in a frenzy once the Master speaks to him.​
    Alright, here's a couple for ya, treave: how is Gudersu's little boy coming along? I think we should reward him through his son, if he's got the talent and/or desire to do important shit in for the Imperium. Also, can Sekhenun fashion a prosthetic for Gudersu? I'd hate to lose such a loyal and talented fighter. He should also probably be given command of the Olympian garrison, for two reasons: one, and I hope I'm not just assuming here, that it is an extremely honorable post and two, we really should have someone right by Athena's side who will tell her all about how awesome Ean is without sounding like an asskisser.

Because, the simple truth is, if that anyone wants to instigate revolt in our Empire, right now the only thing they have to do is go up to Athena and tell her what she wants to hear. And then we're divided and conquered.

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Gudersu's little bratlings are working hard studying/training to be of use to you. They should come of age soon. With the materials technology lying around Sekhenun could probably whip up something rudimentary, like a peg leg. Their biotech is not really compatible with human physiology so nothing fancy. Also, Athena may dislike you right now but she isn't that unwise. Unless you really fuck up or piss her off, you can expect her to maintain the status quo, or at least give the appearance of doing so.

^ Top  
  25. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    There was never a Jew Exodus from Egypt much less a Moses. With the Jews we should give them the Cyrus treatment. They'd be praising our actions in their holy book and claiming Ean's their messiah.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.