Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait just a second. We have fifty soldiers right here. Why not just take them with us, Ean leading the charge of course, and then have them act as runners in case we need to call for backup/to update the rest on the situation? If no one comes out in, say ten minutes, that means we need help and we need it five minutes ago.

About Vajra:
    In light of this, we should not rely on it too much. However, I don't know if the years we spent learning it for not picking it in the first update are sufficient.

Edit: in any case, the soldiers will fare better than a simple rope, which can be easily snapped by a gieloth.

^ Top  
  2. With a rope.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    The rope is a half-measure. Best case scenario we learn nothing, worst case scenario we are trapped and overwhelmed. Are we here to scout the place or are we here to fuck around? I don't see the goal behind using the rope: what the fuck are we going to do, go through the rift, look at the bleak miasma-ridden hellscape, say to ourselves "Gee, there sure are a shitload of Terasphagos here!" then go back? We already know that there are Terasphagos there, so we need to commit ourselves if we're going through the rift solo. We're here to scout, not take a quick peek. A rope would restrict Ean's movement in combat, and his super speed + teleportation is just about the only thing that would ensure he comes back in one piece.

How so? If Terasphagos Land is too much for solo Ean, we're toast either way. Like I said, B has no long-term viability. OK, you make it past the rift, fight a shitload of Terasphagos and assess the situation, then come back. But then what? What's your next move after this?

C is an unknown and carries a catastrophic risk, but I believe that this is the one time that we should take a gamble and roll the dice. Also, given our piece of Vajra, I'm not convinced going through the portal might not lead us to Master Corporate HQ anyways:

The rift clearly responds to Ean and his piece of Vajra, maybe going through with it will provoke a different reaction with Ean and his piece of Vajra than it will with other people. I don't know, considering how it seems to follow and react to us, maybe Ean won't end up on the other side either. I don't mean to stir up paranoia here, but it certainly is curious how the rift seems to respond differently to us than it does to everyone else.

The one hint that we were given was that Vajra wants to "activate" in some way, which is still vague. Here's a metagaming hint from the end of Chapter 5:

This exchange implies that the remaining Masters over at Corporate Headquarters could have given Zeus help to bring him back, but they refused to on account of the fact that (a) he fucked up by tearing a hole in reality, and (b) they didn't want to risk bringing Marduk along for the ride. Any thoughts on this exchange, guys?

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What the fu- Stop stealing my act. It's hard enough to pass off as a complete lunatic without competition. No consideration, some people...

Onto the business at hand.
    I can only speak for myself, but you misunderstand: the security measure is not there because I want to say "Sup?" to the 'Nids. The rope/messengers are there in case we need to be bailed. If not, and the situation is stable, we can come out, tell the rest that the place is manageable, say our farewells and go in fully. A security measure, nothing more.
    The Rift, however, must be closed and it must be closed now, so it's a "do or die" mission for us. However, I agree that the rope is a stupid idea, now that I think about it, not in the least because it can be easily severed. I think it would make much more sense to take some human scouts with us and have them run messages to the outside about the situation.

I am considering C myself, but we'd be gambling with the fate of our whole dimension, not just Earth, Ean and the Shin'ari Five. Only, unlike the Hittite situation, we have no spies, we have no moles and we sure as hell not the baddest motherfucker on the block in there.
    I'm even half-sure that the new Master (he gives me a very strong "Inquisitor" vibe) will corner us inside of it and say "You work for me now, no arguments." I doubt this wormhole leads there, since the access was cut off from the other side. Not to mention I have the bad, bad feeling that C will give the Vajra back to the masters on a silver platter, since our mastery of it is far from absolute.

That being said, Ean has already proven he can fight the Terrasphagos and with being as far away from human meat as he can, he can fight at his fullest capabilities, not having to cover anyone else's back. Besides which, he won't be the only one inside there (even if Marduk, Zeus, Hera and Shamash are dead, there is still Ares), so we may work something out once we're on the ground.

About Zeus: I had this hunch from the first time I read that update that he was the one originally responsible for the Vajra, hence all those talks about "punishment" and abandoning one of their own. Like the Earth mission was supposed to be his penance for losing the Vajra and letting the Gieloth to sever the connection.

Edit: besides which, I think that having a fully-assembled Vajra will be completely worth the risk. Just think about the possibilities: besides the obvious, Sekhenun will have a "Staff of Open Gate +1" to aid her research.

Edit 2: treave, are the Gieloth on Earth all that is left?

^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    B - 8 (no rope majority)
    C - 4
    D - 1

Chapter 6.15: A Void Full of Balls

"Hm." Having made up your mind, you step closer to the rift. Someone grabs your arm - it was Sekhenun.

"What do you think you're doing, Ean?"

"Oh, nothing, just checking out the other side."

She barks a short, sharp laugh. "You really are insane. The only thing we know about the other side is that it is full of the Terasphagos, and that's really all we need to know. We'll find a way to close this eventually."

"Well, if it's full of those things, I'll just clear them out. It'll be good exercise."

"I'm telling you, don't go in there. Don't -"

You don't hear the rest of Sekhenun's plea, as you jump into the hole. It might be insane, but if it afforded you a way to close the rift by finding the two Vajra pieces, you'd do it. Sure, it's not like you know if those two pieces were nearby beyond the rift, or if Zeus was still holding on to them, or if there was anything beyond except endless waves of Terasphagos - the idea became more and more crazy as you thought about it, but you were already through, and your feet touch air.

At the same instant, a swarm of Terasphagos assault you from all sides before you've even gotten a chance to get your bearings. In one hand you whip your sword through the mass of slavering claws and teeth that surrounds you, in the other you throw bolts of brilliant blue lightning that immolates any Terasphagos it hits. Even so, their attack does not let up - here and there, they manage to break through your defenses and draw blood for their efforts. As you fight on, you notice something strange.

Firstly, you had thought the things attacking you were just bird-forms as they came from all directions, but it was not so - there were plenty of other types, including some things you have not seen back on your side of the rift before, moving effortlessly in all directions as if swimming through the air itself.

Secondly, your feet still had not touched ground.

It was impossible to fight properly while floating in nothing. With a shout, you exert a telekinetic burst that shoves away the Terasphagos surrounding you before they overwhelm your defenses. You notice that there is a featureless, white expanse stretching out beneath you, and you push yourself with your telekinesis in that direction. You land, skidding across the white ground. As you look up, you notice that the Terasphagos are circling in the air around the rift, but not coming after you. You take the chance to quickly survey your surroundings. You could feel that the miasma was present here, but it was nowhere near as thick as it was on your side. Visibility was mostly unimpeded. In the distance, there were many round, white spheres floating in the blood-red, cloudless sky. It was an ugly land. There was no sign of the other two pieces of Vajra, nor could you see any sign of any one else. Even Ares would have been a welcome sight here. The ground you were standing on was perfectly smooth and white, similar to the spheres in the distance. It was unmarked and stretched out almost as far as your eye could see, though there appeared to be a slight curve to the landscape.

You gulp. If that was the case...

At that moment, the land rises all around you, bulging and contorting into familiar shapes. The white skin of the land shapes itself, and as the skin melts away, fully-formed Terasphagos bud from the ground, snarling and shrieking. As you prepare to do battle, the ground suddenly shifts under your feet, and you find yourself falling. Down and up had no more meaning for you, as countless Terasphagos slammed into you, pushing you away from what you now knew to be a sphere that you had landed on. As you flew further and further away from the sphere, more of it came into view. There were more of these spheres all over this empty void, countless more, scattered in whatever direction you looked. You notice that the spheres were gathered near tiny little seams like the one you had entered from. Most of the seams appeared only transiently, forming and dissolving in the fabric of the void before the spheres could send any through, but on occasion, some developed into cracks, and it was towards these that the spheres gravitated. Out of the corner of your eye, a massive sphere, far bigger than the one you had been on, reaches a seam, and it begins to force its way through, creating a terrifying shriek as the red void cracked open to let it pass.

A low grumbling turns your attention back to the closest sphere, the one right in front of you. As you watch on, in horror, the featureless sphere gains features. A nose. A mouth. Two eyes. It was a face you had seen in the copper mirrors of your palace everyday - yours. The sphere morphed into a gigantic, white fascimile of your own head, perfectly identical in all ways except for its sheer size. The mouth cracked open, grinning, revealing nothing but darkness within. The skin bubbles again, as more and more Terasphagos begin appearing from it. As the lips move up and down, you realize it is trying to say something... it is trying to greet you. You grit your teeth. You had not felt it touch your mind - in fact it has no mental presence you can sense. How did it know your language? The Terasphagos that had pushed you away now surrounded you docilely, as if awaiting further orders.

A. The sphere has moved itself to be between you and the rift. You cannot sense the other two pieces of Vajra anywhere here - they might have been eaten, or they might be somewhere else. There is no other path you want to take - you charge the sphere, fighting to get back to your own world.

B. Another seam had just formed behind you. It would be suicidal to fight through endless waves of Terasphagos - you were already bloody and bruised just from the initial attack, and the sphere itself might have other powers that it has not shown yet. Getting ripped to pieces here would serve no purpose. You jump through the seam before it disappears, no matter where it leads you.

C. You attempt sphere diplomacy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    C

^ Top  
  8. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    C. How can this possibly go wrong? :)

^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Jesus, what the hell have we gotten ourselves into? I don't see how we'd be able to defeat this sphere thing, so the next best thing I can think of is sphere diplomacy.

C

A

^ Top  
  10. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    A leaves us no better off than when we started and B will fling us to God-knows-where so C it is.

^ Top  
  11. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    No rope eh? Gotta go for C like everyone else says.

^ Top  
  12. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  13. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Well we can try A if C fails. C it is.

^ Top  
  14. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
    If it knows our face and our language it could be what is left of Zeus, Marduk and/or the others that were at Olympus when the rift opened, witch would seem to explain the masters calling Zeus fate worse than death. It's interesting what it would have to say. C.

^ Top  
  15. C - That's what we get for not bringing a rope, bros... :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    C bandwagon, for now. It's time for some revelations. Am very much considering flopping, but:

A- while it sounds like what I want to do, it is rather suicidal, all things considered. I have a feeling it's level is bigger than ours. And it's got trash mobs.

B- doesn't seem all good of an idea, considering that it can lead us literally anywhere.

Edit: wait a second. Are these the Masters? Or their antithesis? Most likely the latter.
    So, this is what they're fighting against.

I think if we talk to this thing, it'll make us it's bitch.

Edit 2: Two questions, treave. Is this thing a psychic blank just like Ean and is Ean still projecting a presence?

^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    What do you guys intend to achieve by talking to this thing? Remember that we just went dimension hopping - this sphere could just be a Master in its original form, in a dimension where it has full power. Or, equally likely, some other powerful being. It's something we can't fight yet.

In any case, expect any diplomacy to end poorly and heavily in this being's favour. That seam is going to close in a few moments so that we can't escape and then this thing is going to give us some horribly lopsided ultimatum.

God-knows-where is better than here.

B

^ Top  
  18. That's not very reasonable. We could end up next to a black hole for all we know.

Think about it: the sphere wants to talk with us and is - for the moment - holding back the beasties. Perhaps we can negotiate with it to not send any more terasphagos through the rift so we can close it. Or maybe we can learn/spot some weakness it has while we speak with it, so we can overcome it and get back home.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It has a presence, but it's unreadable, as in, you can't sense its mind. Ean's not projecting anything.

^ Top  
  21. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Why do I have a feeling that the Terasphagos are Marduk's devourer artifact in work? Marduk was using it when Zeus opened the rift and the rift ripped both of them apart. But the artifact was activated and it was launched to other side of reality, where it is trying to devour like it was meant to. But instead of devouring Zeus, it is trying to devour everything, through rifts.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Looks like option C has a near unassailable lead.

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    We could, but chances of survival don't really look much higher than a black hole in this place either. We could also end up someplace safer as well. I flopped to C momentarily, but then I flopped back to B.

Nothing is free - what will this thing want in return? Consider this:

It's blocking our way out because it wants a captive audience. Talking to it in hopes of spotting a weakness while we're in this being's home turf seems naive - this thing is supremely confident that it's got the upper-hand right now. More than likely, we'll get the Zeus method of negotiation: give me something you value highly, and maybe I'll let you live.

I'll take my chances with the seam.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, A has us press the Awesum Buttan in a place it doesn't work , B takes us into the Deep Roads Space and C has a sheep negotiating with a pack of hungry wolves. Well, better than letting them do whatever it is they want to do. Do or Die indeed. I wonder if Ean ever asks himself "How do I get myself into this shit?"

I think we just found the very things the Masters are fighting against. Honestly, the only thing that gives me a shred of hope in negotiations is that Ean has the same hunger these things seem to have. But, yeah, unless this floating planet feels extremely beneficent, the negotiations won't be negotiations.

treave, possibly a meta question:
    These creatures, are they anything like the Terrasphagos?
    P.S.:
    You know, it's times like these that you see who's your friend/waifu and who's just along for the ride.

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Good catch. Some of them are similar.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.