Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    So they got mauled by Terasphagos and then got back? I think this is good news. In light of this, I'm going to vote B.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well... if you consider their getting back as a quivering sack of flesh good news... Yup, it's pretty much safe besides the Terasphagos.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    I hope mind reading can bypass the rift for now?

^ Top  
  4. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I feared there would be some weird time dilation since Ares hasn't come back and the Terasphagos come in cycles. But since we are getting flesh back, there can't be big differences in flow of time between the rift and earth.

^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Yep, I consider it good news. Confirms our fears of time dilation were unfounded.

B. Without the rope. We don't want it constraining our movement while we're fighting off Terasphagos.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, can we take the rest of the Shin'ari five with us, or are they suddenly preoccupied with important stuff, like counting the number of trees that aren't there?

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    They don't want to go. They're not convinced it's a good idea to go in. :lol:

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, in that case, let's turn this into:

The LP. We pretty much have everyone and thing set up for us. The only one missing is Kaldor Draigo Ean.

But, we'd better leave a "last wish", so to speak, and that is for the rest of em to watch Lil' E and ensure he does his daddy proud.

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Did they provide any reasons?

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, you haven't given them any good reasons to jump into a rift they know very little about. They trust you, but not enough that they'd obey your every command. "It's to save the world!" doesn't cut it when you have no proof doing so is going to save the world, and every proof that it is probably going to lead to a world of hurt.

^ Top  
  11. Unless we do something now, the rift will keep expanding and the next incursion will overwhelm us for sure.

I say B. Last time we tried to shortcut things using our piece Varja it backfired and led to the creation of the rift...

Flopped back to B with a rope.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    To Artemis and Athena: "Well, it's not like you have to do it, but, you know, I figured that after all the innocent people mangled to death by these monstrosities you would consider closing this thing. I mean, I know that you didn't technically open this rift, but then again if you would have been here when Marduk was besieging Olympus, this probably wouldn't happen, so you're kinda responsible tool."
    Here Ean begins to shed some tears. "Maybe I wasn't the best Emperor around. Yeah, I did force you into being my subjects, and Athena, you were so bent on refusing the position, but those the school houses didn't really benefit that many people and the roads were always lacking in maintenance, but I tried, you know?"
    Cue dramatic sobbing and the waterworks. "Besides, the soldiers that died for your people and country weren't really Greek, and it's not like they had families back home, with wives and children, oh won't anyone think of the poor children, and it's not like anyone behind the Wall owes their lives to them, so, you can stay here if you want, I'll...I'll just handle it myself. Oh, me? No, no I'm fine, really."

You get the point. Question is, would a guilt trip work?

^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    [​IMG]

This is how I view our decision-making process in this LP. I bet Vajra's perfectly safe to use, but we've been beaten one too many time to trust it. And I still don't.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Smashing Axe: here's how it will turn out. If we don't use the Vajra, later it will be revealed as the best possible choice. If we do use it, however, it will be the worst.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    What it does in these circumstance has already been decided at the start of the chapter (or rather,when the rift was formed) and not going to change.

^ Top  
  16. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Bro Ean Bravely Bounds into the Beckoning rift.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    What ever choice except B *that is the highest*

^ Top  
  18. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    B

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    So, you guys want a rope or no? That could change things.

^ Top  
  20. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Wow, I'm late to the party.

No two situations are identical, so be careful in applying that logic. Sometimes parallels can be drawn, but sometimes they fall under scrutiny. Shortcutting things with Zeus was dumb because we already had a good plan in place (take him by surprise with Edem), here, we don't have any plan whatsoever.

Every single one of our companions is pretty sure that going in is a bad idea. Honestly, B sounds pretty suicidal too. We barely managed to push back the Terasphagos on our own soil, how do you think Ean is going to manage in their home turf without any backup? How is this a better idea? The fact that we know what's on the other side doesn't make it any less dangerous. Also, assuming we survive the onslaught... then what? Traverse through a miasma filled hellhole in hopes we'll find the other pieces? There's an entire planet covered in miasma and full of Terasphagos, so I'm not sure what our next move would be. I don't see the long-term strategy here.

Here's my theory: our single piece of Vajra cannot create rifts or open up wormholes, but it can manipulate existing rifts. It can reroute the portal so that it leads to Zeus' location, rather than in the middle of the Terasphagos horde due to the connection the three pieces have with one another. Zeus had an incomplete mechanism, meaning that he could open up a wormhole to travel back to Master Command, but without the crucial third piece, he couldn't control where exactly it went. If we add the power of our piece, we can get zero in on where he ended up.

I don't think that B is any less dangerous than C, so on that note, I think a gamble is the best decision we can make. We aren't always going to have all the facts available to us, but considering that the likelihood of survival deep within Terasphagos territory on our own and without an idea of where to find the other pieces is very slim, I am willing to take my chances with the rift.

C

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    +1 for the rope. At least do a test drive before we bravely go Where No Man Has Gone Before. Edited my post.

Edit:
    Considering that if Vajra opens up the portal to Master Corporate Headquarters, we'd be more screwed than inside whatever hellhole the portal leads to and, much more importantly, the planet could be screwed with us. Hell, I want to believe that C is the superior option here, but the consequences of it being wrong are potentially far worse than even the opening of Olympus.
    That being said, treave, is Ean's mastery of his piece complete, or near complete? I think this is the chief issue in this situation.

^ Top  
  22. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I say yes to the rope. Leave instructions to pull Ean out after a couple minutes if he doesn't return on his own. If they give him some slack until they ready to pull he hopefully won't be too restricted by it.

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I'm against the rope. Ean has the ability to teleport short distances if he finds himself overwhelmed, so I'd rather not have something that restricts his movement. If it's too much for him, he could blink his way near the portal to make his way back.

^ Top  
  24. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'll agree with Esquilax here, no rope. I still don't know if it's the right decision however. I'm 49:51 in favour right now.

^ Top  
  25. Arpad Educated

Arpad

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.