Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    You lost me this time Esquilax. How is not building the wall going to reveal their motivations? There is a big bad rift that needs to be contained or all the life on planet Earth will be wiped out. Giving out masonry tech to us is probably more easier than sending their own 100000 men to stop Terasphagos from advancing north. They will probably help us more if we need help, but saying "no we don't want to play your game, we quit, let's all die" is not going to work. Let's take the gift given and put it into a good use.

A1.

Seeing how the northerners have far more advance technology than us and our spy network is powerless, I'm starting to think that Shulgi is behind them. Shulgi was/is after all the spy assassin with analytical mind and intelligence.

^ Top  
  2. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Although it's suspicious, the motivation behind this gift of technology is probably pretty simple. The Master wants the rift contained, and we're the tool he can use to contain it. He's helping us because it's in his interests, nothing more.

A1

^ Top  
  3. Why do I get the feeling our wall is being laced with explosives and that the north will invade and blow it as a distraction, wiping out Greece with the ensuing monster invasion...

The wall is bad news guys. Really bad. A2

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Because you're paranoid, bro. They're advanced, but they're not making explosives here.

That's not what I said. I'm not sure if they care about invading. Whoever is behind the North's rise to power, it's someone who (a) still is able to hear the Voices on account of the advanced tech, (b) genuinely wants the Terasphagos out of the picture and (c) is interested in Ean and wants to keep tabs on him. It's someone who is strongly influenced by the Masters.

Because they've been pretty keen on giving us more tech whenever it's been possible. If we don't take the bait, they're going to keep courting us more aggressively, because their whole plan is to leak technology to us. If we refuse their offer, they're going to step up efforts to bring technology to us, and at that point, they might inadvertently reveal something about their motivations, or who is really behind them.

Besides, I'm pretty convinced that we don't need the improved wall to win. We are fighting outside of the miasma, we have Athena, and most of our army is still intact. Why do we even need the bigger wall? To kill the Terasphagos... faster? This kind of attitude reminds me of when we zapped Marduk with a lightning bolt. Sure, we had a plan to take him by surprise and kill him with Edem, but zapping him required no effort on our part, so it must be, like, way better, right?

This is another example of how doing things the easy way carries a hidden cost.

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oh yes, spot on! :bro: It's Shulgi gone Loki. He's made the voices his bitch and gets the advanced tech from there. He also wants the masters out of the equation, and he doesn't want Earth to be blasted to hell. He doesn't trust nor like Ean one bit on account of him killing him earlier, but possibly we can put those differences past us, should we meet and have a chat..

This actually makes sense to me. Anyone else?

^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    TOME's theory is pretty plausible. After thinking about it, it definitely isn't Naram. When Naram left Ean to fight Sekhenun by himself, he ran off into parts unknown. But he didn't go North, because at that point, the Northern Kingdom had already begun to form as a civilization.

As for the voices, I don't think they've so much as disappeared in other immortals as much as they've simply gone dormant. Their powers remain, so their voices must remain too. Since Shulgi's dominated his voices, they are going to talk whenever he feels like making them talk. Another thing, I flipped back to our last meeting with Shulgi way back and compared it to our encounter with the North early in this chapter:

Even in 2,300 B.C. Shulgi had enough psychic ability to block out his mind from Ean. At this point, I have no doubt that Shulgi's psychic abilities are even better than Edem's. Probably good enough to hide his nature from Edem, which is why it's no wonder he didn't notice anything unusual about the shaman. Another thing that jumped out at me was that this shaman served his clan for generations - that's one hell of a lifespan.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, how many men do we have now, exactly? What's their morale and how are the citizens fairing?

It's very simple: the foreword to the previous chapter made it abundantly clear exactly how the soldiers view Ean. He's not just an Emperor, or a God. He's their God Emperor, the guy they hope to see when shit hits the fan, the guy they put complete and utter trust into. Ean is pretty much the embodiment of what they are fighting for. Losing their confidence in him is very relevant to the situation at hand. Losing the support of the Greeks will be catastrophic, for Ean or the new Emperor(ess), so we'd better be on our top game. And right now we are anything but.

As for the Wall dilemma: It can be Shulgi, or the new Master, and that doesn't really matter in the now. Before we plan for the long-term, we better assure that we are set for the short term. What does the wall provide the troops and the citizenry? Increased survival rates, a strong sense of security and a tactical advantage. Really, we're fighting against an unmeasurable horde here, every little bit counts.

On the other hand, we already lost most of Greece and the 'nids aren't going to come out here full force, in all likelihood, but stick to scavenging biomass from every branch they find. Making the wall rather redundant and a potential risk in the future.

Then again, it may be as TOME said: Shulgi, or whoever, sent a scout, heard about what's happening here and decided that the Terrasphagos did not bode well for their kingdom/their agenda(s) and decided to indirectly help us out, without revealing themselves too soon, since killing people is not the best way to make friends. And honestly, what do we care right now who's behind the Northern kingdom, when we are being warmed up for a three-way? Am considering flopping back.
    P.S: See, this is what happens when you play Civilization instead of solving problems. I feel like there's a lesson here. And the new Master really isn't behind the North. Timelines do not match up.

^ Top  
  8. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Eh, I'm not really buying this. The forges were an obvious spy move, but one we accepted in order to get the super steel. I think the compass and wall techs are merely efforts to help us deal with the rift so whoever is behind the Northern kingdom doesn't have to. I doubt that rejecting them will get them to come crawling to us begging to take their technology. We're the nation right on top of this rift. The Northerners can afford to sit back and watch how we do. It seems to be in their interests to see us defeat the Terasphagos, but not at the cost of the secrecy they've so carefully maintained.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A1 Northerners so far have been willing to help despite our most Paranoia *in dealing with the Telas.* it is in our best interest to do a "heart to heart" with the North soon *after the Invasion*

treave how does our Iron Warriors far against the threat?

And can we trace the "Call" if we did decide to Leave for China?

I believe you do hold a point the North came to our attention After Olympus but they must have been secretly gaining power until that point so the Master may be in the North but he may very well be ANYWHERE *and another Immortal may be hiding there*

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I wonder if we can't just walk up to that old prophet and say "Hey Shulgi, how ya doin'? So, we cool now?"
    Edit: come to think of it, that should be the next episode of the Shin'ari Five, with Shulgi as the sixth ranger.

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, with the Terasphagos running rampant in Greece, I assume that they're going to be doing a number on the local ecosystem (i.e. chewing it all up for biomass collection). The parts outside of the miasma are already a wasteland, after all. However, Sekhenun and the Gieloth are masters at biotech. Assuming we manage to close the rift successfully, does she have the resources and expertise to be able to restore the land to a habitable state again?

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The easy way out would involve her engineering a new ecosystem that can survive in that environment, which means it certainly won't be normal animals and plants that populate the area. Even then it'd take maybe a couple hundred years considering the area she has to work with. The hard way will require thousands of years, even with her accelerating the process. Recovery is going to be slow either way. The Gieloth are adaptable themselves and have never seen the need to develop terraforming tech.

^ Top  
  13. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    You know, I have this curious feeling that closing the rift isn't going to make the miasma go away. It might cut off the source, but I'm suspecting we'll have to deal with the miasma and the creatures within it separately. Perhaps build great a Great Wall of Greece dozens of miles from the edge of the miasma and starve the Terasphagos of biomass?

^ Top  
  14. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    mmm, that would assume the miasma itself creates the terasphagos, where the common idea seems to be that they're coming through the rift.

Curious.

^ Top  
  15. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Well my thinking is that while the Terasphagos ultimately came from the rift and more can still come through it, there may be either a critical mass of creatures or some sort of queen as Esquilax suggested such that even with the rift closed they can still propagate as long as they can keep collecting biomass.

^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    A1. Let's deal with this rift permanently.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Chapter 6.14: Purple Rift

The incursion went on… and on… and on… until finally, nearly three years later, Terasphagos activity began dropping. Having waited out the worst of it, you went looking for the rift. As you got closer to it, you had to fight off more and more of the Terasphagos. Although their numbers had been greatly reduced, nearer to the rift the miasma was thicker and there were much more of them. It got to the point where you were unable to pitch camp and had to press on until you reached your target.

It was purple.

It was a purple, jagged hole, floating in front of you. You had been here for nearly five hours now, and it still looked weird. You could not see anything on the other side, and trying to go around it only made your head hurt as the hole appeared to turn to follow you.

“It’s no use. I can’t figure out any way to close it.”

Sekhenun, who had sailed over to join the expedition and observe the rift, shook her head and gave up.

“It’s gotten me closer to knowing how to make a portal of my own – basically, don’t do whatever Zeus did – but the principles are entirely different. I’m sorry. Other than getting at least one more piece of Vajra, I don’t think we can do anything about this right now.”

The hole shrieked as it cracked around the edges and began to widen. A Terasphagos clawed its way out, echoing the shriek. You cast an irritated glance at it and blast it with a bolt of lightning from Vajra. The mysterious weapon had been responding to the rift the moment you arrived, but you had restrained it from doing what it wanted to do; you didn’t know what it was going to do, and you weren’t about to let it do anything, if you could help it. It seems like you might have no choice, however…

A. You retreat from the rift. No point staying here when you can do nothing about it – at least you’ve identified its position. One day, when you have a way to close it, you can return.

B. You jump into the rift. Zeus and Marduk were at the center of the rift when it appeared, they might not have been thrown far. If you’re fortunate enough you might be able to gather the other two pieces quickly and close the rift that way.

C. Fuck it. You let Vajra do whatever it has been wanting to do.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B. Isn't this why we sacrificed all that time and men for? No rope.

Can be convinced to go C, though. I'm just getting the nasty feeling if we say "fuck it", the consequences will flow accordingly. Like the Vajra reassembling and being lost in "the space between dimensions"...only to be retrieved by the Masters.

Walking away is right out.

Why do I get the feeling that every choice here sucks?

^ Top  
  19. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'll say B or C as well.

I'm one for doing the brave and stupid thing. :troll:

B, but can be swayed by sufficiently clever arguments.

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Hmm... the voices, I wonder.
    treave, can the Gieloth be, ahem, "seeded" by the Masters?
    Edit: also, do Sekhenun and/or Edem know when the first Immortals began appearing?
    Edit: Smashing Axe, your bandwagon theory is being proven correct so far.

^ Top  
  21. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Agh, god damn it. God damn it! This is going to end up severely fucked, I just know it. Still, I can't think of any other better solution.

B

I can be swayed to C

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Baltika9 : no, no, and you guys didn't seriously think someone would magically tell you how to close the rift the moment you find it, did you?

edit: Well, maybe the Vajra is telling you how, if you will let it.

^ Top  
  23. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oooh, my troll-sense is tingling.

:excellent:

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    While I know how unnecessary my paranoia is regarded, there is another way to do this. Going into parts unknown and unexplored, wherein Ean has a high chance of taking a long, if not everlasting dirtnap, without covering our homebase, that is going to be sucked dry by space squids, doesn't seem too good of an idea.

Before mounting an expedition, we send Artemis on another run to warn the Chinese about the tree and in the meanwhile, we go and parley with the North, preferably with the Shaman, but the ruler will do too. Strike a deal/an alliance, if only temporary, between the two Empires, to both prevent aggression from either side and prepare for an intervention in China, in case the Immortals fail. Because, hey, Ean may be gone a long time. Plus, it'll give Sekhenun time to hopefully figure the Rift out.

Also, anyone ever thought that the one behind the North is Edem's pappy? The timeline matches up, as does Edem's report of "nothing weird going on, nothing weird at all, no sir, Ean, sir" and the secrecy (Last time the two met, the farewell wasn't all that pleasant).

^ Top  
  25. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    We are so screwed. Should have gone to deal with the gieloths first. I'm willing to go with A or C. But for now I'm going to think for a while and listen what the big boys are going to do about this and maybe then join the bandwagon.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.