Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    maybe if they're a hivemind and so focussed on the incursion they won't notice us in there!

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Because Ean isn't going out to scout alone, if understand treave's words correctly. And, like I said many times, this is not the "safe" option, but given the numbers of the Terrasphagos and that they, again if I understood correctly, are capable of breaking through, it may be the most "Ean" option: great risk, and what a risk it is, for the sake of lives.

Edit: which is actually a good question: treave, does A mean Ean is taking his team and going off alone, or will he use the men to scout the thing out?

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You, Artemis, Edem, and maybe a hundred of your best. You can't afford to move any more troops than that from defensive positions.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Seems solid enough to me. As solid as can be. Two Immortals, a Gieloth and one hundred crazy-ass Green Berets.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A2 - 2
    B1 - 8
    B2 - 5

Chapter 6.12: Son of a Breach

"Iason, we are leaving!"

The bastards could climb. Akakios wouldn't have thought it possible, but he saw it with his own eyes; the hound forms, the kon, clawing their way up as if their feet were stuck to the wall.. All the Emperor's arrows wouldn't have stopped them - the Emperor didn't have that many arrows. The curly-haired young warrior under his charge continued hurling rocks down at the Terasphagos, ignoring his shouts.

"Iason!"

"Just a bit more, Akakios! The Emperor is still down there!"

"The Emperor is a god, you fool, and he is down there so that you can escape with your sorry hide intact. Now move it!"

As Akakios went to grab Iason by the shoulder, the skies suddenly turned dark. A large streak of lightning crashed down mere meters from there, where the Terasphagos had been gathering under the wall. The thick smell of charred flesh filled the air.

"Holy Emperor..."

As the smoke cleared, they saw a young man, holding one fist aloft. In it a three-pronged scepter glowed a bright blue, crackling with energy. An ornate cloak a colour of deepest purple that could only belong to royalty billowed behind him, stained with the dirt of battle. His eyes turned to meet Akakios's - those ageless orbs appeared to reflect his own soul, laying bare all his deeds and misdeeds to the world. Akakios involuntarily bowed his head, a nervous grin spreading over his lips. He had been one of the lucky few with the opportunity to see the Emperor in battle more than once, and despite that, every time it made his heart jump with a thrill. He could understand how Iason would be tempted to stay, but that would not be what the Emperor wanted. Looking at his eyes, Akakios knew. His fingers tightened on Iason's shoulder.

"Iason. We are leaving."

His charge could only nod wordlessly as he was pulled from the wall, his sight still fixed on that shining figure holding off the endless horde.

The Terasphagos had turned out to be more than your soldiers could handle. It was not a matter of armament, discipline, or the will to fight. Your men had plenty of that. The problem was much simpler - numbers. You just didn't have enough men. In the first week, a thousand men died. In the second, five thousand. By the end of the first month, ten thousand of your men had been lost along the walls, and the previous Terasphagos incursion had lasted for nearly six months. For every ten Terasphagos that fell to the coordination and tactics of your men, one of your own would be killed. For every Terasphagos that fell to the tenacity and strength of your men, a hundred more would appear. For every hundred Terasphagos that you personally slew, a thousand more showed up. You would normally not tire by merely chopping and dicing your way through the swarm, but even you would be overwhelmed by their sheer mass eventually if you did not do something more drastic.

The winds blew strongly, whipping your cloak around you. More Terasphagos appeared from the miasma, replacing those you had roasted.

Ean, duck.

You ignore the voice. A wave of fire ripples outwards from behind you, scorching the first row of the monsters. Despite the raging firestorm, you remain unsinged. Edem lands by your side, a wry look on his face.

"I told you to duck."

"Why?"

"Well... point taken. Time to leave, Emperor?"

"You know, I've been wondering. Is this a talent of the Gieloth? She does the same when she addresses me... it's annoying, even after some seventy years."

"I have no idea what you are talking about. I always address you with the utmost respect, Emperor."

"Ha, well... there's no time for this argument. It's time to leave."

The storm you had called grew stronger. With Edem's help, you telekinetically boosted yourself over the wall. The Terasphagos had begun to swarm over the top of it. At the same time, your storm unleashed its full fury. Lightning began striking indiscriminately into the mass of Terasphagos. They shrieked as they fell, but there was always more to come.

Suddenly, you feel your knees buckle as your strength gives way for just a bit, the fatigue hitting you like a sack of bricks.

"The Vajra?" Edem looks at you, entirely unconcerned.

"Yeah. It's not something I can exert myself with. I can use all of its functions, but they take quite a bit out of me if I play with the more powerful bits."

Your storm would occupy the Terasphagos for a while, preventing them from passing this way. As the rain began to fall, you shake off the tiredness and will your leaden limbs back to life. The Terasphagos had amassed a number that no one ever had any reason to count to. At numerous points they had breached the fortifications and rampaged across the countryside in hordes tens of thousands strong - you could not defend every single part of the wall, and neither could your immortal and Gieloth allies. It would not be long before you were forced to retreat the army or risk having what was left of it entirely encircled by the Terasphagos.

Luckily, you had already evacuated the populace down south, past Korinthos. This saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. They would be safe there, and even now Athena was overseeing the construction of the strongest wall the empire had ever seen to secure the land route to the Peloponessus peninsula. Although you would have liked to have her fighting here, her presence was sorely needed amongst the Greek civilians. They now adore their goddess whole-heartedly, certainly more than they adored you, who they merely respect and trust. Athena would be busy showing herself and ensuring that they felt safe. After all, having panic rise up amongst the citizenry behind your lines would surely do wonders for troop morale and logistics, you thought acidly.

And Sekhenun had told you Fukayna was expecting a son. She seemed to enjoy telling you immediately instead of not letting you worry about it until you finished with the incursion.

"Sadistic bitch," you mutter.

"I know who you mean," Edem grins.

A. The imperial army will fight on, no matter how many enemies there are to kill. Never give up, never surrender! Besides, retreating now might inflict even more casualties on your men as they make their way down south.

B. The walls will not hold. It is time to give up the majority of Greece for lost and retreat the army back to Korinthos. The Terasphagos should not reach that far, given the spread of the miasma.

1. The rift really concerns you. You have no idea how long this incursion will last, or how many Terasphagos will appear, or if your assumptions about their operational distance will hold true. You need to get to that rift now and find a way to close it, with all the resources you have available to you.

2. You will not take the risk of wandering into the miasma at this point in time. Any exploration will be held off until the incursion blows over.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, two questions. Do the Terrasphagos fear fire/any elements and had we chosen to plunge into Olympus, would we make it?

^ Top  
  7. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B2

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Baltika9: No, and why don't you give it a try? The choice hasn't been ruled out.

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A retreat is not something that should be done in conjunction with riftwalking, which is what we should do. Besides the already mentioned fact that showing your back to the Terrasphagos makes it easier for them to eat you, we must also consider that someone needs to hold the bastards back for long enough, to give Athena time to construct and fortify her wall, and that is what the soldiers are there for. We made our bed, now we lie in it, hence potentially sacrificing Ean and the rest of the Guard.

And we must get into the Rift now. It's still just as risky as it was last update, maybe slightly more, maybe slightly less, but it's the only right choice here. Ean, even with his powers, can't to anything here.

A1.

Also:
    Sacred Band of Thebes confirmed.

Edit:
    Nah, I just wanted to fish out material to make another cheesy one-liner.

^ Top  
  10. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    A1

^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A1 for the moment.

I can be swayed to B1 although I don't like the idea of us not having a position to fall back to. That and the entrenched army would serve as a distraction whilst we make our way to the rift, whereas with B1 they'd be entirely focused on our expeditionary force. I'm really glad 2 didn't win last vote

I wonder how Athena views us now, considering all we have done.

Edit: That said, there could be a decent case made for B2. If the incursion does indeed die down then it would do to have at least some of our military force remain intact to maintain loyalty in the provinces whilst we are off on our Lovecraftian journey. That and it would be infinitely easier to reach the rift without a countless horde of tyranids trying to consume our biomass. The downside to this is that we don't know if or when the invasion would die down.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait a moment. We have the smartest, most intelligent humans in the world working for us, and they didn't even establish the mathematical value of "one million?" What are we paying them for, again?

Let's hope Esquilax's politics and propaganda plan worked on Athena. If not, things will get rather difficult for the Emperor, be it Ean or his heir(ess).

newcomer, you were right. She does have the hots for Ean. Not very good at handling rejection, though.

^ Top  
  13. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  14. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    treave, can we fly yet, using telekinesis? With Edem's help? How far above the ground does the miasma reach? It would be that much easier if we could approach the rift from air.

It would seem we missed the best chance to enter the rift couple updates back. Not sure if flip-flopping now is a smart thing to do. We could wait them out, retreat far back and let them breath air and die.

B2. But if Ean can fly, or anyone comes up with a good plan to get to the rift, I'm willing to flop to A1.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Even with Edem's help you can only jump really far, and he can't fly you or himself that far across all the miasma.

^ Top  
  16. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Look guys EVEN the ALL the Varja Treave-bro said that we would have a hard time closing the damned portal what makes you think that ONE piece would do it?

Also Retreating would lose us troops yes seeing as the Telas. run faster then our men but over all they get weaker the longer they are outside the Miasma. *really regretting doing the closer wall now XD*

also Treave is the second wall still there? if so how strong is it?

B2 Unless we can fallback to the second wall *if its in GOOD condition* then C2

C- Fallback the Last incursion Defences and hole up to attempt to keep some hold on the Telas.

^ Top  
  17. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  18. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I think it's time for a fighting retreat. We're hemorrhaging men and it's only the second month of what could be six or more. Staying might buy time and distract the Terasphagos from the rest of Greece, but it will almost certainly get our entire army slaughtered. How do you think morale will look then? Furthermore, sending an already-fatigued Ean into the heart of the swarm will leave him in no condition to fight any enemies on the other side of the rift in the best case scenario. Worst case he takes a long dirt nap.

We need to do whatever it takes to make it through this incursion with Ean and as much of our army as possible intact. Then venture into the rift.

B2

^ Top  
  19. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  20. Collage Educated

Collage
    B2. We have to keep as many troops alive as we can. Unfortunately we'll have to pull a Soviet Union strategy: sacrifice land for time.

^ Top  
  21. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
  22. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Well it's a dilemma. Had we gone in the rift the previous update, it would have been better timing perhaps, but now we know that the Empire would have had a lot of dead men with no emperor around when they (think) they need him most. But if we go now then it's more dangerous for us than ever.

B2 for now, though of course there's no absolute guaranatee that this time, just like the others, the invasion will let up after a few weeks.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The invasion won't let up and maybe now is the best time to go, since the Terrasphagos are almost completely out of the rift, leaving their spawning pools much less defended.

^ Top  
  24. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    B2. We'll have to trade space for time to reorganise and reinforce. Then act to the utmost to close the rift after this incursion (before it starts spreading beyond Greece).

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Not much I can do but stress that avoiding Olympus and retreating is the worst combination. Yeah, the Terrasphagos will die outside the Miasma...in about two months. This gives them time to completely decimate and strip the Greek countryside, decreasing the people's respect and the support of Athena, and since we went through so much trouble to cultivate it, we'd better fucking keep it. Worse yet, this will make Ean seem weak.

Remember when Ean said this:
    ?
    Time to make good on our words. And besides which, the Terrasphagos are getting way out of hand. Every single trend shows that the attacks will only increase in intensity and that these things will evolve, adapt and overcome. The more we delay, the worse the situation will be. The Empire has an Heir, it can do without Ean for a while. We can cash in on all the goodwill with
    Athena and Sekhenun, and send them a message to watch the kid(s) in Ean's absence, something like: "Do me a favor, sweetcheeks, watch after Lil' E while I do sum shit, arite? Kthxbye."

On a personal level, I'm starting to get the impression that Ean is beginning to lose his balls. All he does in between updates is meditate, fuck his Hos and delegate his decisions.

Edit: treave, how close, if at all, are our scholars to discovering monocles and top hats?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.