Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    A1

^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Fuck this shit. We need to give the populace time to retreat. Ean is the self-proclaimed champion of humanity, right? Now is the time to man up, step up, and stop the xeno scum!

A1

:yeah:

^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Sorry, Baltika9, the argument about seeming weak and saying that Ean has "lost his balls" is nonsense. What does that have to do with the situation at hand?

Our goal here is to defeat the Terasphagos and close the rift, so anything along the lines of "What will Athena think?" or "Will we look weak?" is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. As long as we close the rift, nobody will care.

The problem with A1 is that at this point, it feels like "too little, too late". We've had two previous opportunities to go into the center of Olympus, once before the incursion (which is when we should have gone), then once again when we had 70,000 men to hold the walls. Now there are 60,000 men and the number of Terasphagos within the miasma is pretty much exactly the same.

At this point, our army being encircled and overwhelmed by the Terasphagos is an inevitability if we stay. Every man that dies on our walls is another breach that the Terasphagos have to exploit.

B2

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A1 - 6
    B2 - 10

Finally, a new page, and a new update.

Chapter 6.13: The Great Wall of Korinthos

Daedacles peered up at the wall, and then back again at his scroll.

"Are you sure you got that right, Atmose? The height of fifty men? Here it says five."

The Egyptian scholar in charge of overseeing this particular part of the wall shrugged. "Five, fifty, numbers are imaginary, dear Daedacles. It doesn't matter."

"It bloody well matters when you have my men piling up rocks fifty men high!" spluttered the Greek engineer.

"Well, what's the difference?"

"The difference is that a wall that is the height of fifty men, though impressive, takes too long to build." The voice was a feminine one, quiet and clear. The owner of the voice stepped in front of them, dressed in a resplendent gown with an ornate breastplate and helmet in the Greek style.

Daedacles bowed immediately. "My Lady Athena." Atmose looked indifferent, but bowed his head too in recognition of her status.

"Atmose, even now, the Emperor and the army fight to get back to our side. It is not time for foolish games."

The Egyptian's eyes narrowed, and in an instant his carefree demeanour was no more.

"If I may, Lady Athena, the Terasphagos will not be stopped by a wall the height of merely five men. The defenses around Olympus were constructed at that level, and we all know what has happened to them now. The Emperor will surely agree with my initiative." argued Atmose.

"You are right, but we do not have time and resources enough to build a wall ten times that height."

"What if I told you that we could?"

Athena's eyebrows perked up under her helmet. "Enlighten me."

The maneuver was successfully executed. You held the rear guard, staving off the Terasphagos that tenaciously nipped at the heels of your retreating army. By the time you passed the gates of the walls still under construction, you had lost merely a few thousand, less than the worst case scenario that you had envisaged. The Greek mainland was mostly lost, but at least the Greeks themselves would survive, in Peloponessus.

There was something about the walls that didn't strike you as right, however... you ask Athena about it.

"Athena, how fares the construction?"

"It fares fairly. I suppose you've noticed it, Ean?"

The goddess of wisdom had stopped addressing you by your title some time back, though when exactly, you were not sure. You were also not sure whether this meant that she had lost respect for your office, or if she felt familiar enough with you to use a more casual approach. You wouldn't find out easily - it was slightly aggravating that, over the years spent together in close cooperation, the immortals and Gieloth had naturally developed mental defenses to stop each other from reading their mind telepathically unless they allowed it.

"It's... taller than it should be. How would the wall hold up with such a height?"

"One of your spi... scholars proposed a new method of constructing this wall. The reasoning appears sound, though I can't imagine that it is something we would've thought of ourselves."

"You mean that it could've originated from a voice?"

"Yes. The scholar, Atmose, is not host to them, however. I checked that personally. He learnt it during one of his little assignments to the north."

Assignments. The north was quickly becoming a very suspicious place - you wonder if you should check it out one of these days, as your own watchers haven't been able to gain any footholds for years. It looks like you would have to emphasize that your watchers know that initiative was important, but too much initiative was dangerous - this was the risk of letting them operate independently for too long, effective though it was. You make a note to reel them in a bit in the future. It also looks like Athena now knew about your network, if she didn't already before. As she stares at you, waiting for you to say something, you rack your head quickly and decide to break out a grin. "Congratulations."

Athena is puzzled. "Why?"

"You passed the test."

"What test?"

"You found my watchers. I mean, it did take several decades, but now I'm sure that if anything happens to me, everything will be fine in your hands." Saying that, you nod your head sagely, as if it was all to your expectations. That worked somewhat - the flustered Athena shakes her head. "I have no idea what you are babbling about. You are the Emperor, so stop playing games with me. The people need you to be serious right now."

"Well." You shrug.

"Well what?"

"Well, what should we do about the Gieloth over in the East?" Artemis interrupted, all of a sudden. You hadn't heard her approach.

"Have things gotten worse?" you ask. Artemis shakes her head.

"It's gotten better. In a way."

You can't help but sigh. It looks like things are never going to be simple. What happened to the good old days of just charging in the general direction your king pointed you in? Oh right, you were the king now. Artemis continued her report.

"The immortals and the Gieloth have a ceasefire. The Yellow Emperor apparently came to some sort of agreement with the Gieloth."

"That's awfully vague, even for you, Artemis," you complain. "What else do you know?"

"Nothing more. They refuse to tell me the details too, for some reason."

Ean, check the network.

You turn to look at Edem, his face scrunched up in worry. This was the first you had seen him like that. Following his suggestion, you tap into the Gieloth communications network. The moment you do that, there is a sudden, strong sense of isolation and loneliness within you, and a small desire to head east.

"I think I may know a bit more," Edem speaks up. "The call has been sent out."

You look at him, thinking that you know what he is going to say next.

"The Gieloth are going to form the Tree."

A. You remain in Greece to continue overseeing the defense against the Terasphagos and investigate the rift when the incursion subsides. Everything else is of secondary importance.

B. The Gieloth are up to something big - it looks like you should not delay your trip to the East. You do not know when the Terasphagos incursion will end, and so you will not wait for it to do so before you head off.

C. The northern kingdom has been offering you help, discreetly or otherwise. You decide to find out what exactly is going on there. The Terasphagos can be held at Korinthos, while the Gieloth in the East probably won't grow too fast even if they have started forming their tree.

1. You continue building your wall at a ludicrous height, according to techniques apparently taught by the north.

2. You no longer trust the north, after all of this skullduggery, even if it is apparently to help you. You stick with the original plan for the wall.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    You bastard. Why won't you allow us to catch a break?

A1

^ Top  
  6. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    B1 for now

Somehow I feel going to exile with Zeus sounds better :troll:

^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Seriously, we've been battling this rift thing for quite some time now, at the cost of not interfering in china. And now you want us to gallivant away?

No, the way I see it, either we finish the rift job and go all in, or we check out the northern realm. I get the uneasy feeling that the new avatar is up there, and he's providing us with just enough help to check the Terasphagos incursion while he's just waiting to see what happens in China. Waiting to see if the immortals can deal with this shit on their own..
    If we go north it's to learn what that kingdom is up to, and take whatever knowledge we can gain with us, then return to the rift business and close the damn thing.

Yes, the gieloth forming the tree is bad news. But so is millions of Terasphagos that pour out of an increasing miasma. We need to stop the rift. Then we stop the tree.

A1

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I can say with certainty choice A will have you finally find the rift, after a short timeskip. I'm no bastard. :obviously:

^ Top  
  10. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    treave, how many incursions have we had and how long between each one?

If we can expect the next incursion within 10 years I think closing the rift has a higher priority. It should also give us a complete Vajra (unless we have to sacrifice Vajra in order to close the rift) which will make fighting the Tree easier.

^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Then it's time to go
    tripping the rift!
    :yeah:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Last major one was fifty years back, involved nearly a hundred thousand Terasphagos (at least there were that many dead), and lasted about six months. This one is much bigger. You haven't encountered enough incursions to have a proper data sample.

^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Well, you also previously said that had we chosen to master Vajra earlier, we would have had other options regarding the rift. Now it seems Ean has more or less mastered his piece, so I guess you're just being consistent. :salute:

^ Top  
  14. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Going A1 for now, unless a B voter comes up with a brilliant argument.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The lodestone would've come earlier, is what I meant. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Ah shit, this what was afraid of.
    Well, the tree needs time to mature. The North puts me very much on edge, but denying solid engineering is very foolish, even if they know of a way to destroy it.

This shit with the Warp needs to stop. Aq.

And this new Master, well, he gives me a very "Inquisitorial" feeling. It's like he'll corner us when we least expect it and say "you work for me now." I doubt the North is his, it would be too obvious. Way too obvious.

:(Now I know how mad prophets felt. Now we either royally screw China up, or royally screw our Empire up.

^ Top  
  17. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    A2. Let's take care of this shit so we can move on to the east!

Edit: Switching to 2. We don't need the wall, really.

^ Top  
  18. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Is that so? Flipflopping then :salute:

^ Top  
  19. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    B isn't exactly a big timeskip either, guys. A few immortals could get to China pretty quickly, even with Bronze Age tech.

There are no avatars on Earth, but the Masters have "other ways to observe". They are guiding Ean against the Terasphagos and learning more about him through the Northern Kingdom's forges that they set up, which serve as their "other ways to observe". The Northern Kingdom arose at 2,000 B.C., right around the time that we woke up from our coma and defeated Sekhenun:

The very secretive power behind the North is not an avatar, but an immortal, albeit one who is closely attuned to the Masters. Possibly Naram, possibly someone else similar to him. As far as the tech on masonry, it was obviously something that they leaked to our spy on purpose. They're letting us have it so that (a) to help us beat the Terasphagos and (b) to observe us more easily. I get the feeling that there's also another hidden price tag here as well.

Nothing is free and the masonry upgrade is cover for something else - just like our initial trade agreement was cover for observation. They know about our spies, of course, and they're using the Watchers as yet another way of keeping tabs on us. This reminds me of the foolishness of zapping Marduk with Zeus' thunder and how it was a bad idea because it was too good to be true. Here is a hint:

If we start using Northern masonry to build our wall, it'll encourage our Watchers to become bolder, which will make whatever we do even more obvious to the Northerners. My recommendation here is that we shouldn't take the free lunch unless we really need to (i.e. we leave for China) or we want their guard down (i.e. going North).

If we pick A, defending ourselves from the Terasphagos from Korinthos will be much easier than doing so from the miasma anyways. Luckily, we've also lost relatively few men in our army during the retreat, so our army came out mostly intact as well. Unlike in Olympus, we're able to see where they're coming from much more easily, and we have Athena with us this time, which makes organizing a defense much easier here.

More importantly, (2) will start forcing the Northerners to begin revealing themselves a bit more. They're desperate to give us their tech, so I think if we refuse their offer here, they might reveal more of their operations/motivations. Thus far, we've been taking everything that the North has offered us, so I believe that if we change up the dynamic for once, it'll force them to put themselves in the open a bit more. We need to find the hidden hand guiding them, and we aren't going to do that by blindly taking every offer they put on the table.

China

The Gieloth here have some sort of trump card. We know that they're going to be creating the Tree soon, so they must feel confident that they're going to win. If we were to go to China right now, we'd save quite a few immortals and possibly earn some allies to take back to Greece with us.

Voting A2 for now, but I could be swayed to B1.

A1

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Little did Ean know that the Great Wall of Korinthos, built with Northern technology, served another purpose...

The Master leapt onto the wall, posing dramatically against the billowing storm clouds. In his right hand he held a mysterious device with a switch, and he raised it upwards.

The switch was flipped!

"COME! GIGAAAA PRIIIIIIIIIME MASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" yelled the Master.

The wall shook, and before Ean's amazed eyes, it rose and transformed into a gigantic statue!

"Hahahahahahahahahaha! With the power of the Giga Prime Master I will wipe out this abnormal planet. You fool, you have no hope! Despair!"

The gigantic statue, every bit the appearance of the Master with its rounded helmet, glowing chest plate and swanky gloves & boots, roared. Its eyes glowed yellow and twin fiery beams shot forth, heading straight for Ean! It was too late for him to dodge... but suddenly, four familiar silhouettes appeared in front of him. In a blaze of blue and green, they warded off the fiery beams with a shout!

"Sekhenun! Edem! Athena! Artemis!"

"Kept you waiting, huh?" Edem grinned, his teeth twinkling.

"Now that we are all here, we are invincible! Yay!" Artemis was as cheerful as ever.

"Now now, let's not get too overconfident." smiled the kind Athena.

"...." said Sekhenun.

"Fools! Dastardly fools! How dare you block my attack! You will pay for this! Giga Prime Master, use your Super Giga Dimension Buster to destroy these fools!"

"Not so fast, Evil Master! Shin'ari Five!" yelled Ean. "COMBINE!!!!!!"

~ Will the Shin'ari Five combine in time? Will they be able to beat the Evil Master and his giant statue, the Giga Prime Master? Will the Terror Twins finally understand the meaning of love? What will Shulgi say when he finds out that Naram's sheep has been in his kitchen? Find out all this and more next week, in the next episode of...

SHIN'ARI FIVE: LEGEND OF THE ANCIENT WARRIORS!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, speaking of that wall: does it have any structural weaknesses, some glaring disadvantages, or is it perfectly superior to whatever we can come up with.

Edit: :lol:

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Re: the wall. You really can't tell, and neither can Athena. If there is, it's a well hidden flaw. It appears to be a new way of layering materials so that you can build up the wall faster and taller.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    With what, exactly? The same materials?

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Pretty much, and some others that you would not have thought to use as wall building material before.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Huh, that does sound too good to be true. Esquilax's theory about the new Master does make sense here, or they're simply giving us tech they can later use against us, in an invasion say. In any case, accepting this if Ean's staying there will be redundant. Flipped.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.