Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    pretty sure their version of playing is the "player" ending up scarred either mentally or physically its blatant that the goal here is to 'corrupt' / 'subvert' Ean in some way why else take all this time to troll Ean's Memories and bring up such an event Pre-Immortalization despite having hundreds of years to pick from *my theory here is that the Teras want Ean to feel powerless for what reason? I don't know*.

There are few events in Ean's life that we can say really shaped him is it not true that Humans are influenced the most during their childhood? *which brings me to me Second Guess they want to 'tarnish' Ean's memories. Again I don't know to what end*

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    That's right, you can't.

That would count as not killing them, so I'm putting your vote down as a B.

:smug:

A - 5
    B - 10

Update incoming.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Chapter 6.18: Home is Where the Heart is

You can't do it. Even though you don't remember their names, they are - they were - your first friends. Even if they weren't real, you cannot bring yourself to do it, not after what had happened to them. Losing them had brought you to where you stand today. If you cut them down, you would be killing a part of yourself. Releasing your hand from the hilt of Anbar-Shi, you look the girl straight in the eye and state your refusal.

"No, I'm not playing this game."

"Why not? Why?" The children begin crying. "Play it. Play with us. Kill us."

The crybaby runs over to you, pulling at your hand. The next thing you know, he has bitten into it. Shocked and angry, you try to shake him off, but he is strong. He looks up at you with his blood-stained teeth and grins. "Kill me, Ean." Then, he bites again, and the swarm of children descend upon you. You have no choice - you fling them away with your mind, but these were not real children; they would not be hurt by that. You knew that, but you couldn't act. They come again, and again, each time ripping away strips of flesh from your body.

You could've killed them. You would've killed them, once they started attacking. You don't even know why you didn't, as every time you raise your hand it is slowed by some unknown force. Your blows become taps. The crushing force of your mind becomes nothing more than a squeeze. Desperate, you attempt to figure out how they are restraining you, when the realization hits home. Somehow, your choice was being magnified, to a ridiculous extent. A refusal to kill had become a refusal to kill no matter what, and had you decided to kill them, you had no doubt you would have lost control over yourself almost immediately. Though you had not sensed their psychic presence, somehow they were affecting your mind.

Standing here was no option either. You finally manage to free yourself from the jaws of the children, and you flee into the corridor, hoping that you would be able to think better if you were not being chewed up. As you ran, the colour faded from the walls, and the texture turned smooth. Your face emerged from the ceiling, its teeth bared.

"KILL. PLAY."

"No!"

"THEN. LOSE."

Your next step is taken into emptiness. The ground had opened up into a giant, human mouth - if you looked at it from further away, you would have recognized it as your own. As you fall, the teeth close over your body; it closes over your neck, and your head pops off.

"Ah."

You woke up with a start. You were in your own bed, back in Ankida. Fukayna was besides you, holding your son in her arms.

"Your majesty, did you have a bad dream?"

You shake your head. You don't remember what happened when you were asleep, but something was... ah.

"This is not Ankida." you sigh.

"Clever man." Fukayna grins. "You lost the first game. Now for the second. I am infinitely patient. I am infinitely kind. You have infinite chances to win the game."

"It's not a very fun game. I refuse."

"Ah, so you lose again."

The room turns white and melts down all around you. Then there was ripping, and tearing, and blood... your blood.

You are in Heliopolis. Akil comes through the door, smiling. "So, you woke up."

"How many times are we going to do this?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb."

"Ah, well... Forever, if that's what it takes for you to win."

"Never going to happen. If I win, I lose."

"Yes," agreed the fake Akil. "If you win, you will lose. If you lose, you win. You get to enjoy this wonderful home I've created for you. I will show you all the precious people and places you know, and remind you of your memories with them. Over, and over, and over."

"Ha, sorry, but I've no interest in fakes."

"Then end it. Kill me."

"No."

"It's your loss, then."

Great white spikes shoot out from the walls and floor and ceiling and impale you, tearing your body apart.

Akkad. Sargon sits before you on his throne, a big grin on his face. "You are a wonderful toy. No matter how many times I play with you, you never break. Now then, you've killed me before. You can kill me again."

"I've killed you once, I don't see the need to kill you again."

"Fool."

Before you realize what has happened, your arms are gone. And then, your legs. The walls took them. The soldiers descend upon you, mouths wide open, teeth bared...

You won't surrender. You won't allow your spirit to be broken. The sphere can torture you for as long as it wants, but as long as you still draw breath, you have not truly lost. Eventually, you will find a way to win - you will find a way to return home.

In the never-ending cycles of death and revival, pain and anguish, you bide your time, waiting for your chance...

----CHAPTER END----

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
  5. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    :salute:

^ Top  
  6. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh boy, he doesn't understand who he's fucking with, does he? treave, are we stil going to play as Ean?

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Honestly, I'm trying to think of a 'fuck yeah!' way to do so while not invoking a deus ex machina. You guys were fucked when you stepped through the rift and tried to talk to the thing. Maybe I didn't make it weird and disturbing enough to give off that "RUN THE FUCK AWAY" vibe.

^ Top  
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    No, you did, treave. I tried to steer people away, but apparently, they completely lost their fucking minds after the whole empire-building thing. So much thought put into building an empire, yet so little thought on actually achieving our goal. I can't believe how everyone collectively went full-retard.

What would have happened had we used Vajra on the rift?

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You lose the Vajra piece for good, but it sews up the rift partially, reducing the number of Terasphagos and the frequency of their incursions. It's not a permanent solution - it just buys you some time, and it would've put you at a more of a disadvantage should you choose to head to China immediately after that, obviously.

edit: Of course, ripping it away from you once you have had a connection would have had some... side effects.

Here I can say that speculation about the North has had some truth in it - if you had mastered Vajra earlier, the lodestone would've come earlier, and you would've found the rift earlier, so you would bring Vajra to it. I don't think whoever was up there expected you to jump through it while carrying Vajra with you. Definitely throws a wrench in their plans. :lol:

edit2: For the tentacle lovers, bringing a rope would've meant that Sekhenun got pulled in with you because the rope isn't long enough. How that changes things, well... we'll never know. :troll:

^ Top  
  11. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    :(

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And had we chosen to fight?

^ Top  
  13. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I agree that in retrospect the diplomacy move wasn't the best. But when you look at it at the time, fighting the sphere was almost certainly going to fail and jumping into a random rift is basically giving up on the Earth we spent the whole LP in. Given the transient nature of the rifts, there was no reason to expect getting back any time soon if at all. Diplomacy was the only option that gave us a chance to get back home. Still, we should have picked up on the clues present.

On the other hand, I'll defend going into the rift in the first place as the best move at the time. Running away does nothing. Only the immortals/Gieloth have the strength to fight through the miasma and investigate. If we gave up there, we basically concede that the next incursion will rape our entire empire. Vajra was just rolling the dice on the X-factor option. Going into the rift was the only way to get information towards potentially closing it.

^ Top  
  14. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    :rage:

Rewind! I demand a rewind!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A piece of you manages to get out - you are fighting to escape, not to destroy the sphere, so that would've given you a chance. You regenerate from there. Slowly. But only if you fight at the very first choice.

edit: Ah well, deus ex machina-ing it. Prepare to meet the Masters. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Last question for now: Vajra is back on Earth, isn't it?

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No, it's with you.

^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Aye yai yai. I think once we entered the rift it was too strange and it was impossible to make smart decisions because there was too little context. Not treave's fault, it was certainly weird enough, but I thought it was weird enough that we'd get a window of opportunity at least.

Anyway, I guess we'll see how it goes. I hope we haven't just thrown away our Empire and our companions, I'd hate to get another 'reset'.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait a second, i thought we had only one piece, i was asking about the other two

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The other two went into the rift, why'd it be back on Earth? The whereabouts are unknown for now.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I was just wondering if it was right under our noses the whole time.

^ Top  
  22. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    What would going for Vajra have done when we were around the rift? While I am sure Ean is about to make like the Ellimist and assume extra godhood by eventually absorbing this thing (or not), I keep wondering if maybe that was the better option.

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If you mean right before we jumped in, I addressed this above.

^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Sorry, but that dog won't bark. Not anymore, not after so many foolish decisions in the past - now it's getting to the point of pathetic rationalization. If what you're saying is true, then how the hell did I manage to get it right then? I'm not a great guesser and I don't have a crystal ball, the only difference is that I bothered to think about what my next move would be. Diplomacy was an unbelievably dumbfuck move by any measure - why would the malevolent beings that sent the Terasphagos in the first place be interested in a fair deal when Ean is on their turf, outnumbered and overpowered?

That left attacking one of them (suicide for the reason mentioned above) and jumping into one of the seams, which was our best bet.

Do you want to know why people voted for "sphere diplomacy"? Because they weren't thinking rationally, they were voting based on "oh shit, what are we going to do?!" rather than on anything concrete. It was a pathetic choice that was decided on due to desperation and being caught off-guard.

Going into the rift was a dumbfuck choice as well. We would be going in solo, with no idea where the rest of Vajra was or what we'd do in there, in hopes of finding a needle in a haystack. I knew right away that when our companions weren't joining us that it would end poorly. The gist of my rationale was this: We need to close the rift, but if we go into the rift we have no plan and it would be a virtual suicide mission. Therefore, our best bet is to take a gamble on Vajra and hope for the best.

^ Top  
  25. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I agree, we should've gone into the seam instead of trying diplomacy, but choices boiled down to do we want a chance to go home, however slim (diplomacy) or not (seam)?

As for the initial rift, we'll have to agree to disagree. We had no information on how to close the rift and the only way we would get any of that information was to go in.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.