Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh, you think the new voices and our new leash will be anything like the old ones? If the Masters get their hands on Ean, they'll make sure he's ball-and-chained to them for good. We're not dealing with petty Immortals anymore. All of these "higher beings" are way, way out of our league. No, tricking these guys will be almost impossible.

And my arguments don't necessarily mitigate one another. Perhaps it makes it superior in the criteria of tech, yes. But I don't think we'll be let off that easy. A at least gives us the chance to get back to Earth as soon as we can. The masters, treave was pretty clear on that, will give us no such courtesy.
    Edit:

^ Top  
  2. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    :lol: Smashing Axe bro, I like the way you think, but let's keep in mind that Zeus had the last laugh when Prometheus gave humans fire.

The main conflict of the chapter is already evident: The Masters have managed to speed their return with all the pieces of Vajra in their grasp. The barriers between their world and ours are fading, and Ean's choices here will involve learning more about them and potentially stopping them before they achieve their goal. I see the choices like this:

A) Safe, takes the longest. Teaches us very little of the Masters, and it potentially gives them a lot of time to set their plans into motion. Gives them lots of information on us too. Eventually we make it back to Earth and hopefully form a plan to break up Vajra again. It's all very vague - I just don't see much of a plan here. Sek can maybe create wormholes and maybe she now has a bunch of other Gieloth following her, but I am not sure about our options here.

B) Risky, but it has a lot of potential increase our knowledge and power, and to really hurt the Masters. However, I must stress that for this to work, we basically have to out-Naram Naram. The Masters in their homeworld will be far more powerful than Ean will be in a very long time. We really have to make them trust us before we slide the knife in their back, and this will mean doing a lot of crazy shit so that they put their guard down. First and foremost, we're probably going to have to reveal Sekhenun's knowledge of wormholes, followed by handing her off to the Masters before they really start seeing us as another harmless dog.

Ean's experiences in the gulag have probably given him an iron will, so I'm not concerned about the Masters exerting mental control. Better yet, we can make them think that their little tricks are working on us.

C) High risk. Potential benefits here are the ability to return to Earth in record time. Considering Vajra has just been torn from us, prospects of escape... aren't very good. Fuck this, really.

Not a problem. If Shulgi was able to make the voices his bitch with only his innate dickishness, Ean's centuries of fasting in an transdimensional torture chamber will make dominating any voices child's play. Mentally at least, Ean should be free from the Masters.

A fair point:

The spheres we fought are only the protrusions of the actual beings that exist far beyond our world. Also, we would be among the Masters within their reality, where they're strongest. Scraping and bowing are going to be necessary skills for survival, but if we make the right choices, the Masters will never know what hit them.

B Flopped to C

^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I... I'm torn. I REALLY want to return to Earth. And, given our new understanding of the Terasphagos' dimension, I think we actually stand a pretty decent chance of pulling C off. On the other hand, B is possibly the best chance we can get to thwart the Masters' plans. Or, for that matter, to finally decide if they're WORTH thwarting.

Damn you, treave, damn you to hell!

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If you choose to submit to the Masters they will rebuild you. They have the technology. They'll make you better than you were.

Better... stronger... faster.

A. Dragon Age
    B. Mass Effect 2
    C. Planescape: Torment

edit: Regarding hunger... they'll harness it. But let's not spoil it too much.

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Not hungry anymore?

^ Top  
  6. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Decided to vote C.

And you better make good on that promise!

^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Hunger in a harness, sounds interesting. :smug: I stick to my vote, even if treave cheapened it by likening it to Mass Effect..

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, once you drop into the void you'll get raped assaulted by eldritch abominations and lose your memory.

^ Top  
  9. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    This, and haunted by the shades who take our place in death for every time we cheat it. Our only companion is a decapitated and snarky fellow who gets us into even more trouble than we'd manage on our own.

Not sure this sounds very appetizing to me. :roll:

^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Wait, Edem will get decapitated? :eek:

^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Well, we did have the option to lug around Sek's dismembered head in a jar with us earlier. I see no reason why we could not do the same with Edem...

Hell, why don't we take both?

^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I was thinking more of Sekhenun's head in a jar, which could've happened. But Edem would fit the bill better, Sekhenun could be our Annah and Athena our Fall from Grace. :troll:
    We'd find Ares who'd be our Vhailor, Marduk would have gone insane and be Ignus. I have trouble pegging down Dak'kon though. Zeus as Trias, hmmm?

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Naram would have received The Unbroken Rhombus from the Masters. And by solving the maze of the Spheres you get a pet sphere who follows you around.

^ Top  
  14. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    C

And if we are looking mistakes for the outcome, it definitely was the moment we decided to concentrate on the rift instead of China.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    If this is true, then it makes B even worse. Seriously, rebuild Ean?
    I don't think that it will be that easy. We're fucking with the masters on home soil, at full power. They'll even be modding Ean's body, which almost certainly means you can expect this to have catches than a Detroit prostitute has STDs.
    And they could have already done something to the unconscious Ean. Really, they let us go just like that, even if we did bring them Vajra?
    And you're right about bro-stabbing, which is another reason that B isn't alright in my book. Hell, I'd rather take my chances with those "higher beings'" giant balls than with the Masters. At least we can run from them.
    Edit: Ean never even betrayed his unbros for anything, and Sekhenun is the only true bro we ever had.
    Stabbing him/her/it in the back(side) with anything except The Emprah's Light doesn't sit right with me.
    Edit: treave, may we perchance ask this fine gentleman for a monocle for the road?

^ Top  
  16. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Hmm, I was going to pick A: basically pull another world into the fold so we can start with two when the space age starts, but treave said it's in a different reality so that's out.

B would certainly be interesting, but I think those of you hoping to outscheme the Masters are going to be sorely disappointed. It was obvious that the spheres were too powerful for us, but now we're going to pull one over on the Masters? In their homeland? There is value in the upgrades they'll give us and the knowledge we gain, though.

I'm almost tempted to vote C. I'll think about this and see what else you guys come up with and vote later.

^ Top  
  17. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I'd be fine with any option, really.

Both A and B will keep us from returning any time soon. If you want to beat a hasty return tp Earth, go with C despite the danger.

I'd like to go with B to learn about what's going on, but we didn't dedicate that much to keeping the empire together without us. I'll vote for C.

^ Top  
  18. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  19. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    C wow who would guess jumping into a hole and attempting to talk to killer aliens would make a timeskip not me...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    treave, how long would our indentured servitude to the Masters last? Would we have to attempt an escape at some point or might they let us go back to Earth when they re-establish a connection?

^ Top  
  21. Anselmus Arcane

Anselmus

^ Top  
  22. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I see this choice as less of a 'are you fucked or not' choice, but 'where do you want to play next' choice. Planeswalker, Master's Pet or Back to Earth. I don't see A landing us in a puddle of shit that takes us centuries to get out of, same with B, or with C.

I'm going to vote C for now as I'd really prefer we return to Earth. That said, I imagine the rift is still around, and we won't have Vajra to close it, either... I just think servitude to the Masters is a poor trade for God Emperor, given that the 'Test' they are speaking of is centuries/millennia away.

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    This.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, treave... could we presume upon this fine gentleman's hospitality and ask him for a small small favor, amounting to that astoundingly elegant piece of optics that currently rests on his eye?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.