Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, serious question: can we choose to play as a character in Rus? Building another mega empire sounds useful and it'd be awesomw to play as Muromets or Nevskiy.
    Edit: if the character is Ean, would reliving accelerate memory?

^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    No thank you. This is an Epic, immortal centered COYA. We don't want a sudden change to a russian wannabe. :decline:

^ Top  
  3. RedScum Arbiter Patron

RedScum
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Go die in a fire. It's fucking cold there!
    That dying in a fire... that goes double for the likes of you!

^ Top  
  6. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  7. RedScum Arbiter Patron

RedScum
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Storyfags gonna storyfag.

Great CYOA by the way treave!

^ Top  
  8. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    The atmosphere here is getting warm and acceptive:love:

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Madness? THIS! IS! THE KODEX!!! :mob:

^ Top  
  10. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    and the 'Committee' meltdown occurs

as to influencing votes Baltika9 and Esquilax both seem to sway the masses with Storyfag coming up as a mini influencer*mainly strong support*

heck if I look back on the past couple of pages I can list those who fall into the three 'parties' with a few independent players.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol: Right, I'm biting. Wall of text incoming.
    First order of business, Brosquilax:[quote="Esquilax, post: 2333888, member: 12663"]We were fine with long-term decisions regarding empire building until we saw the rift. Yes, we are many people with different ideas, but we can make that work for us too.
    The problem with the last chapter was that people encountered an obstacle with no easy solution, and they got impatient, so they jumped in without thinking things through. Then they were caught off guard by the "WTF?" nature of the rift, so they voted for sphere diplomacy because they were thinking of events based on "oh shit what do I do?" rather than "how are we going to handle this situation?" We are going to have to react to events at times because unexpected shit is going to pop up all the time, but we should always keep in mind the long-term implications of what we're doing. [/quote]
    No, the biggest problem with the last chapter was this: we didn't have a defined goal. First it was "ololo Empire!", then "oshit, do we choose China or subtly schliking Athena?", after that there were the Terrasphagos, then "l0l let's stay here and play Civ4 instead of solving the real problems, like China."

And then, finally, we came to the crossroads: North, Rift or China? All of them were dangerous at the time, so we chose the closest we had and that's what we went for. Inside, well, we fucked up, but it were actually half-succesful: apparently Ean's durability impressed the Scrotum Lords enough that they decided not to shoot their Terrasphagos loads over our planet, for now at least. Which leaves only my last
    They stopped for reasons unknown. Kinda makes me wonder what kind of swtory Sekhenun spun with it.

And, most importatnly, we learned more about the "Why" in those two updates than we did in all the chapters combined. (@treave, I know the whole "tagging you ten times per update" is getting old, but I just have too many questions. Had we given in to the demands of the giant balls and played with them, would they deem Ean and by extentionEarth as weak and unworthy of attention?)
    I will admit to going full retard, somewhat on purpose. As I've said, in the last chapter most of us voters lost the big picture (myself not excluded), so I decided to just let it blow over and enjoy "riding the lightning". Now that we've finally had the senses shocked back into us, I'm ready to Bro(ck) and Bro(ll) to sucess and start maing sense again. Chin up, Ean still lives and that means everyone who fucks with him and his is dead. The just don't know it yet.

As for the memories: we must restore them ASAP, if the character we are playing really is Ean. Why? Because we need to kick Holy Terra into high gear, beat everyone in line and start the biggest civilizational rush we can. The Masters are going to fix their link sooner, the Rift is apparently starting to act up again and we really need to be able to defend ourselves from everything.

Finally, for the choices: We shouldn't be thinking about what we want to do, but what we should do. Esquilax, you said that the Empire is, basically, a beast dying the slow death of stagnation and bloating and you are correct, that is the same impression I recieved. The choices, in the context of fixing the Empire (which, Ean or no, should be another one of our goals this chapter, of not the goal)
    • Soldier- purge the corruption with fire and popular support. Also, civil war. Medium.
    • Noble- surgically remove said corruption with (hopefully) minimum damage. Can backfire horribly. Hard mode.
    • Hermit- PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! Very Hard, appartenly. Although, if this means we can go to Rus and unite them into the Glorious Soviet Union and finally create a Comissariat, I will be strongly tempted.
    • Spy- "Corruption? What Corruption?" Easy, basically we just collect info and do whatever the corrupted higher-ups in the KGB/CIA tell us to do.
    Now, here it should be noted that I strongly oppose D. While it does give us a way to remake the Empire to suit our needs, it seems absolutely redundant and a needless waste of time. Most importantly, I'm not sure if this will put us at odds with our original Bros, Sekhenun and Edem, if they're still pulling the strings from the shadows, and eventually lead to their deaths. And I don't roll that way, mostly because I didn't get my Ean-Sekhenun lovechild. Besides, those guys are way too awesome to die, especially by our hands.

Hence, I will support any option that can beat D (goddammit people, we just fucked up. Get your shit together.), although I prefer the soldier, because something is about to go down in Olympus, and I want us to be on Ground Zero when ITZ hits for crisis control.

Obligatory in(s)anity:
    THE WALLS, THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN! I SEE WALLS WITH BALLS! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! THE BALLWALLS ARE COMING!!! IT IS TOO LATEEEEE!!!
    You know, I think I should be voting D just because it suits my cultivated persona the most:lol:. But seriously, D is a poor choice.

^ Top  
  12. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    If I'd known our empire would expand so far west I would have voted for Constantinople as capital.

How did we manage to conquer Italy, France and Britain though? Peacefully or bloodily? It sounds like most members of the Empire are happy to be part of it and we don't have major independence movements.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    They were much smaller when you took them in. Offered them protection against the other kings in the area, supplied them, then they grew their territories while being your vassal.

Also Baltika9's theory about the spheres being impressed enough not to send Terasphagos is a mistaken assumption, so the question about deeming Ean's world weak is really pointless anyway.

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Tally so far:
    A- 7
    Azira- A.
    TOME- A.
    Arpad- A.
    Lambchop19- A.
    ScubaV- A.
    Omicron- A.
    m4dvis- A.
    B- 1
    Baltika9- B.
    Bloodshifter- B.
    C- 10
    Anabanana- C.
    Esquilax- C.
    Oscar- C.
    Storyfag- C.
    Smashing Axe- C.
    Baltika9- C.
    Helly- C.
    newcomer- C.
    Tigranes- C.
    Kukulkan- C.
    D- 2
    Kipeci- D.
    Red Scum- D.
    Tell me if I missed anything.

Right, bros, I don't think a Watcher is the optimal choice, personally. Treave said that he's basically a spook following orders from Washington Ankida, however freeform.
    And while being a medieval James Bond is quite an attractive option aesthetically, picking it means we leave the running of the heart and soul of the Emprie to the other politicians, ones not gudied by meta as we are. Hence why I flopped to C, however much LARPing as Aleksandr Nevskiy or CIAPHAS CAIN appeals to me, the fight is between A and C here.

And yes, Noble=Classic Ironman, so I can see why many of you are so nervous. But if we actually discuss goals for this chapter and agree upon them and then act to advance those goals, then we'll make it out top dog.

newcomer, my bro, our lovely little waifu is most likely involved with the scholars and researchers in Ankida/Imperial Center, if she's still alive/around, and not up north. So, if we get a noble, I'd say we'll get a chance to see her rather quickly.

^ Top  
  15. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    Voting C

^ Top  
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    It really depends whether we are amnesiac-Ean, Ean-reborn-in-another-body, or looking-for-Ean, and it's impossible to know. With A we could probably find out more hidden / clandestine info, probably more about the past as well, while with C we'd be in a better position perhaps to know and influence the current doings of the Empire.

Since in my mind the future is always the priority, flip to C... though fuck we're missing out on James Bond.

^ Top  
  17. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    I'll flip to C also. Looks like making Ean into prophet with towelheads is not a very good idea

Oh, and did the legends stated where this legendary "Black Octopus" live? :smug:

^ Top  
  18. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I wish we knew what was going on in China.

I mean, we knew their whole tree deal was going to be slow, but are they still working on that? Are they no longer a problem? I guess we won't know, since we no longer have access to the long-range communications...
    At any rate, it's evident that we made the right choice in not immediately gallivanting off to China and instead focused on the Terasphagos, though we did goof that up by jumping in the rift instead of letting Vajra do its thing.

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012

They used to make jokes of it being in the Emperor's bedchambers, but that stopped in 2130 A.C. when the puritan Emperor Knuttion had anyone who even suggested the idea of the First Emperor being involved with animals executed for blasphemy.

^ Top  
  20. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    I hope that was the case :(
    Let's make that official after Ean restored the Empire :incline:

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A - 8
    B - 1
    C - 9
    D - 1

Voting is still open, I'm waiting a bit longer. It kinda sucks when you have an hour of free time and just want to use it to bang out an update before you do some actual work, but eh, well, there's two lone votes there that may change the outcome.

^ Top  
  22. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  23. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Well then just lock out my vote then no idea why people here wish to choose 2 paths that REQUIRE smart choices with our track record...

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Hopefully the Noble's name will be Nabuchadnezzar, since we're about to lay down the law and all.

^ Top  
  25. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    More like, Nabu'Asskicker, amirite? :roll:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.