Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Artifacts? I suspect someone is actually working behind this madman, maybe Sekhenum? I really suspect that this madman actually has a very strong organization behind him.
    For the vote, B for now

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Aodh will be going to Gallia to take care of matters with the Martyrs of Ean and the King of Gallia.

^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B for now.

^ Top  
  4. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Something is off with the Watchers. Multiple cult leaders have developed powers, and Watchers know about these. And yet it seems that every cult has a faction of Watchers backing it up. Why give support to one cult leader only, when they know that the leader is not the only one showing signs of power and thus possible being Ean's heir/Ean himself? It could be a powerplay to several higher ups in Watcher organization, but the whole organization divided between all those who show powers? Unlikely.

One possibility is that there are no factions inside Watchers. They just play all the Ean-shards for their own purpose and a few Watchers here and there are sacrificed for the sake of appearance. This way they got leash for all the shards and can choose the outcome of this whole thing.

We need info, and B won't provide any. So A.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This is what we know of the Concordiat, in addition to what the Prince told us:

TOME, as for the reason that I want to talk to the Concordiat official: (1) finding out their intentions and averting a possible border skirmish or worst case scenario, an invasion, is beneficial towards maintaining the status quo, (2) maintaining the status quo buys Diogenes time to figure shit out, (3) Aodh will be investigating a cult as well, so we should be able to piece something together from both his investigation, as well as our own powers of telepathy to find out if he's bullshitting us, and (4) earlier, we reached for power too quickly and too greedily, leaving us in a new place without any friends or a power base. This might be an opportunity to build one.

Yes, so while we do need information, we also need time to figure shit out. I'll grant you that if we investigate the Scane cult, we'll probably have a clearer overall picture, though. However, maintaining stability will buy us time to acquire more information in the long-term, and we'll be able to at least figure something out when Aodh returns.

^ Top  
  6. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  7. B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'll be arguing for A here.
    First off, I know B has us use our talents to greater effect and try to persuade the Concordiat to lend aid and possibly some fluff about them and ingratiate ourselves to the Prince (which is absolutely redundant: he either adores us or is playing us).
    The problem is this: how is it of any use to bringing Ean back? And furthermore, why involve a foerign nation in domestic disputes: they may wisely see the inner turnoil as a great chance to attack. On thw other hand, they may already be considering it and B may ward it off.

Going after Jannik Inge Talos (thank you, root), however, has a couple not-insignificant benefits. For one, very important, it maintains stability. The secession of Scania would be an absolute nightmare, as it is closer to the other seceding territories than Ankida by far. Letting Talos so his thing unopposed may have a domino effect.
    Next, equally important, it allows us to kill off an apparent shard of Ean with relative impunity and see what happens (e.g.: does it awaken memories, hunger perhaps? Do we absorb him?)
    And, finally, it increases the confidence of our own Watchers in Dio. Hell, we may actually learn something about what is going on and maybe even make a friend of Talos/get him on our side. Yes, I do not trust the Watchers one bit.

This is either very, very good or very, very bad.

Oh yes, we were doing splendidly. If you consider being squeezed between the next Terrasphagos wave and the World Tree splendid, that is.

P.S.: Inb4 The Madman shapeshifts into Alduin and kills Inge.

Edit:
    Note that A sends us to Free Scania to deal with the cult as we see fit, not automaticaly kill Inge. At least, that's how I read it.

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Also, the only way I see Dio becoming a decent person is Ean's memories having an effect on him. Subtle, at first, and increasing in magnitude over time.

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, RK-47 is sending out his trusted spymaster do deal with this:
    [​IMG]
    I see no possible way this could go wrong. I hope he inherited Ean's "bros before hos" mentality, otherwise I don't fancy our chances.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, was the Golden Bull stolen during the sack of the Museum? Also, any recent unexplained cataclysms/meteorites on the planet?

^ Top  
  12. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    The golden bull is supposed to be destroyed on the Vajra piece bonding right?

^ Top  
  13. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    B
    The Cord. Can help us in our power struggle but we want the super nation to try and stay in one piece thus B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, what does backing mean in this context? Information, bodyguards, bodyguards, that sort of thing? I'd rather avoid having to do something that would harm the Empire. Maybe we can double-cross the Concordiat if they're planning to invade us - we have many enemies within the Empire, perhaps use them as pawns to attack one of the cults we're having trouble with. In any case, we should have an advantage in negotiations with our political skills and telepathy.

Parts of your theory could be correct and sound plausible, but this part isn't true:

However, the part where the Watchers describe the other players as "parasites" is interesting. It implies that killing (eating?) other immortals would restore the power that they "drain" from us.

Yeah, Scane seceding would be really fucking bad. But it doesn't seem to have gotten to that point - the madman's cult is still more prominent. However, you're right, we might be looking at the very likely possibility of a revolt or civil war if we avoid things up there for too long. Nevertheless, I want to talk with the Concordiat official because that situation is far more of an unknown, and thus, far more unpredictable. Also, I want to invest in a power base separate from the Watchers - we have already begun to move away from them, so I think we should discard them once they've served our purposes and we find better minions.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Esquilax:another reason A could be a better choice is that rewriting our plans with the watchers again is that they can become very pissy/lose their patience and decide to dispose of Dio.
    Also,it seems foolish to allow Skyrim the chance at revolt.

^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Whatever he can get from the Concordiat, which would be handled in another choice.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave: serious question, maybe meta: have there been any more Terrasphagos incursions after Ean jumped into the rift? Did doing so at least stop/lessen them?
    I just want to know if it was a complete loss or not.
    Edit: and could you also give us some fluff on Ean Jr?

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Terasphagos incursions occurred on a regular basis until about five hundred years ago, though they were never as strong as the second wave that you encountered. Even so, the Empire continued to lose land and were forced to wall off the section you can see on the map. There have been no Terasphagos sighted at all for the past two hundred years, and as mentioned the last incursion was five hundred years ago.

Ean's son, Telal, ruled for nearly a hundred and fifty years, and under his reign the Empire saw a massive expansion in colonization, spreading throughout the coast of the Mediterranean. The descendants of these colonies that moved inland to seek a more independent lifestyle would eventually intermingle with the Skane and other local tribes, and establish the kingdoms that currently make up the Empire. His rule also marked the first war with the Skane. Legend has it that is was over a Skane princess that he fell in love with, and he amassed a force of a hundred thousand men just to make her his.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    [​IMG]

Thanks, treave.

^ Top  
  20. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    I would be even more proud if the said Princess has tentacles :obviously:

^ Top  
  21. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  22. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I don't see why Dio should go and meet with the Concordiat diplomat. Peace have been maintained a long time without immortals on our side (well Athena and the rest might have their hand in here but if they have done so in the past, why wouldn't they do it now?) so why change it now? Just send some other prominent noble. True, they might give Dio a power base, but what do they get in return? And what happens if the diplomat Dio meets is an immortal?

We also need maintain status quo between the cults. We need to figure out what happens when one of the shards is killed. Do the killer get level up or what? Aodh is going to take care of Joan and that might make him even more dangerous opponent to us. The only way to counter this would be to go after Jannik Inge. Concordiat behind us won't help if Aodh manages to make himself the Emperor.

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    There's been a recent peace against the Concordiat, sure, but they have done a lot of fighting against us as well, and their weapons are actually more advanced than ours are. Getting invaded by the Concordiat while we deal with potential civil wars and the cults would be downright disastrous, without even mentioning that the Concordiat is closest to the areas of our empire that are the most stable and probably least cult-ridden.

Don't get me wrong, it's important to check in on the cults, but this is a bigger deal.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.