Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Flipfloping AAB1

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Assuming they're still there...or alive, for that matter. And going for the perfect score is my goal here, anyways, because letting them just do whatever they want to do is bad for the Empire's stability. Remember, we didn't put down the cult in Skane and Aodh is off doing Ean-knows-what with Joan in Gallia-Britannia, so an agitated and emboldened Rus' is Bad News, especially since the Empire was pissing them off for a couple of centuries straight. These are cossacks we're talking about here. Going for the gold is what we should do. Besides, I want to capture the Madman, too, and have a heart-to-heart with him, see if he we can take him on our trip to Iceland.
    Exactly, Dio has telekinesis, so we should take Garsu with us and engineer an accident for him(travelling through the swamp, he stumbles and falls into quicksand; travelling on a hill, wheel breaks, he falls; trees fall, he dies). I really don't see how one semi-competent, uppity and nearly-deserting officer is better than a force of hypercompetent, tough, motivated and experienced men, who will be all that much more loyal once we give them a promotion(our sexy looks are already making us the most attractive general around). If anything, I don't trust Garsu with Odessa either, if we send him with a thousand men, he may take the chance and desert.

That guy just has to be removed, the last thing we need is a shit-stirrer right now. Hence, take him with us on a scout-out to Tigris. Just send our experienced scouts, under the command of an experienced scout, to Odessa. Makes sense, no?

And on a completely unrelated note, I just had a thought about the Masters: maybe they are the beings/entities that have "mastered" their hunger, hence their name. It's just that, well, the only direct way to get power in this setting is to eat sentient beings and yet the Masters and Immortals, which are their creations, exhibit no such traits.

^ Top  
  3. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Tally so far, tell me if I got anything wrong:
    Oscar AAB1
    Tome ABB2
    GreyViper BAA2
    Lambchop19 BAB1
    Stinkinator ADB1
    Esquilax BDA2
    Tigranes AAA2
    Baltika9 ADA2
    Stygian Lurker BAA2
    Storyfag ADB1
    Arpad ADB1

1A- 7
    1B- 4

2A- 6
    2B- 1
    2D- 5

3A- 4
    3B- 6

1- 5
    2- 6

Which makes the winning combination AAB1: Full meritorious promotions, 25k to Tigrien and 1k to Odessa, Garsu to Tigrien, go to Odessa.

^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    A. We need officers. 'nuff said.
    D. I'm sure the enemy has a surprise for us. Let's not commit to battle too early.
    B. Meaning, we stay at the fort. We need to personally oversee the larger part of our army, to make sure there aren't any unnecessary conflicts between freshly promoted officers and the noble ones.
    1. I actually believe Garsu will be pleased - Odessa is an Imperial town firmly within Imperial territory, after all, and he wanted to retreat.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Guys, we really ought to rethink our choice for 2). I am fairly certain that the madman is planning something. Look at this way: the Rus attackers left Fort Tigrien right when they had it isolated and were in the process of taking it. Then we hear that the forces stationed there may (I emphasize may) have disappeared and are now in the process of occupying Odessa, a town that is insignificant and unimportant strategically, and completely unrelated to Ean, as far as both Diogenes and the madman know. Sure, Odessa is part of the Empire and an attack on it must be responded with in kind, but in the grand scheme of things, the place doesn't matter - which tells me that the madman is trying to bait us into attacking it.

At the same time, the last time that we heard from the Fort itself was weeks ago:

We are walking in blind against an enemy that has every single advantage against us in terms of information. Doesn't it strike any of you bros as fucking nuts to go deep into enemy territory to break the blockade at Tigrien when we haven't heard from the Fort in weeks?

I want to echo Storyfag here:

A) Competency. It might ruffle some feathers, but fuck 'em. Garsu looks to be the primary agitator here, so I think that as long as we take him out discreetly, we'll avoid any problems with those who are loyal to Gursu.

D) It's been made clear that the madman is a very cunning and unpredictable tactician. During his raid on Ankida, he demonstrated a great combination of daring, efficiency in hitting the museum, and a great ability at being elusive by escaping from Ban on two separate occasions. Then he further showed his skill by using the greater maneouverability of his horse archers and knowledge of the terrain to wear down Imperial horses. He's managed to ambush and pick apart the Imperial Army here already, and I don't think that things are going to be as simple as breaking the blockade with superior numbers and retaking the Fort.

To defeat the madman, I think you have to put yourself in his shoes. What would you do if you were in his position? I would do this:

Fighting the Imperial Army head-on is stupid. I'm going to rely on hit-and-run attacks to cripple their supply lines, then ambushes to isolate them within their Forts so that they're trapped. I'm also going to try drawing them out so that they have to react to what I do. On that note, I'm going to invade Odessa in hopes that the Empire tries to attack it. Since the city has no walls, it'll be difficult for them to defend, so we'll just cut off the supplies to force them into an ambush like we've done before. On the other hand, if they try to send reinforcements to the Fort, we'll also have an ambush ready there.

Based on that, I think that a small, competently lead force of 1,000 men will be better suited to survey the situation so that we can respond better later. treave gave us a bit of a hint here:

It seems to me that the dumbasses in charge are painting a bullseye on our men whenever they're out in Rus territory. They're easily spotted and poorly led, and as a result they fall prey to ambush far more often. However, if we have a small force to scout the area led by competent officers that know how to remain inconspicuous, then we can know what the madman is really up to. Dio's telepathy will also be crucial here - he'll be able to sniff out ambushes as well as avoid enemies along the way, and if we capture a few tribesmen, we'll be able to figure out what they're really up to. Playing things recklessly and jumping into the fray will backfire horribly against someone like the madman.

B1) Storyfag's reasoning here is spot on. Though honestly, I'm not really opposed to having him with us either and taking him out discreetly.

^ Top  
  7. Stinkanator Novice

Stinkanator
    Is there anyway to start rumors about how we lost our eye? I'm sure commoners would be more willing to sacrifice themselves for a noble who 'cares' about the common people.( Did Ean's sacrifice of his hand for his king make it into the history books? I'm guessing it did not since it happened some time before the empire.) Also, what are Dio's goals regarding Ean? i wouldn't think he would want Ean to come back at all.

Also Flopping to ADB1

^ Top  
  8. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I think it's important to mention why I think Dio should take the risk of going scouting himself. I understand the merit in staying home in our big, cozy fort and posting on RPG Codex - it's safer. However, I think that Dio's telepathy, supplemented by good leaders who know how to coordinate shit, and a small but well-lead force will be able to decipher what the Rus tribesmen are up to far quicker than marching in recklessly will.

On the other hand, I'm also seeing the merit in AAB1. Diogenes is a telepath after all, so maybe he'd be able to sense an ambush by detecting an attacker's presence. That being said, if the madman is planning some sort of an ambush (and based on the fact that we've had no word whatsoever from the Fort in weeks, combined with the madman has apparently deciding to abandon the siege to attack Odessa, I think he is. There's something extremely suspicious about these two events - if they're gone, then why wouldn't we have heard from them?) I believe that a bunch of skilled tribesmen who really know the lay of the land will notice a force of 25,000 men marching towards Fort Tigrien long before Diogenes' telepathy notices them.

On the other hand, I think that a well-led, inconspicuous force of 1,000 could navigate the area far more effectively. We would avoid combat and try to determine troop positions. If we can set ourselves up to catch them unawares and maybe take out a few thousand tribesmen along the way, all the better. In any case, I think committing ourselves too heavily is a bad idea.

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And Besides, sitting on his ass won't earn Dio the title of "Big Papa G", so we really don't have a choice, unless we don't want to capitalize on our budding rep here.

^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Hey Baltika9, you got my vote wrong. It is ABB2.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Sorry, but update will be delayed till Saturday, a friend needs my help to make a Chinese martial arts conversion of the SPECIAL system so that's taking up my free time, plus I have some other work to complete. Well, we might use a part of it, or at least some of the ideas being thrown about if we ever visit the Concordiat so it's not a total waste of my time.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Interesting. Would your friend mind if we(or at least I) see the results? I am most curious.
    Also, that's a pretty :obviously: crowd you're hanging out with.

^ Top  
  14. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I think a few things are at this point indisputable.

1A: We need whatever we do to succeed. Therefore, we absolutely have to make sure our fighting capacity is maximum, and morale of the men stay high - as I said before, wars are won and lost by the belief the soldiers have in you and in the army. The costs of alienating the nobles is comparatively small and can be mitigated otherwise.

3A: By no means can we send Garsu on a suicide mission, as it will really piss of the nobles and there is a much simpler solution of telekinetic murder. I think, furthermore, we really do have to get out there - we need to, again, give men a belief in our ability, and there are no really competent underlings we can trust to do the job by themselves anyway.

So the only question is, where do we go?

I think 2B and 2C are, again, out of the question. The madman has opportunity for subterfuge and deception; so why would he do precisely the thing that he most obviously looks like he is doing, that is, attacking Odessa with all his might? He knows that a noble with no military experience has just taken over a group of demoralized soldiers waiting for an excuse to retreat; wouldn't he expect us to come to Odessa? Sure, there's an outside chance that there is something important in Odessa or he is going on an Attila the Hun style march into the heart of the Empire, but we can't rely on long-shots like that.

So the only question is, do we go for AAA2, going all out for Tigrien, or ADA1/2, and going with a thousand men to scout out either Odessa or Tigrien with Garsu? The first has the prize of achieving our primary goal, and the risk of, well, losing everything. The second has the prize of more information (and possibly nullify all of the Madman's deception), but will probably mean we will be too late to either save Odessa or Tigrien. Not having heard from the fort doesn't mean they're all dead - it might just mean they have nobody courageous or able enough to sneak past the Rus in the wilderness to get us a message, which I think is a reasonable assumption. If Tigrien really was wiped out, it would represent a massive, massive victory for the Rus and the madman; what would make most sense for them to do then is announce the news, chuck dismembered heads at our camp, parade with Ban's head on top of a stake - really demoralise us and make us retreat altogether, upon which they would ambush.

So no, I think there is still a sizable force intact and holed up in Tigrien. So I'm sticking with AAA2 for now, but I do think the scouting idea has merit... certainly not the currently consensus of AAB1.

^ Top  
  15. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I don't think that they're dead, I think that the madman is manipulating the flow of information. We don't know whether the attack on Odessa is a feint, whether it's for real, or whether he's hoping we go towards Tigrien so that his forces can ambush us on the way now that we think that things have cleared up. However, you're absolutely right that AAB1 is not a great idea because sending Garsu on a suicide mission is going to piss off every single noble that's loyal to him: it's an incredibly obvious and heavy-handed move. If you're voting for A on the second choices, I would strongly advise you to flop to A2. Garsu can be killed in a far less conspicuous manner if he's close to us, and it won't make the other officers view us negatively. GreyViper oscar Stygian Lurker

What I'm positive about, regardless of whether this is a ruse or not, is that the madman is using Odessa as a means to force our hand.

^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I didn't vote A1 in the aim of getting Garsu killed but because he might be of some legitimate use in the defence of Odessa if he arrives there in time. Ideally I would have voted for a middle-ground of giving him about 5,000 troops for the relief, but felt 13,000 was too many for us to lose in our overwhelming priority, which is to rescue Ban and the 30,000 encircled soldiers.

^ Top  
  17. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
    Esquilax, your reasoning makes sense. You convinced me to flop to BAA2.

^ Top  
  18. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Ok Esquilaxlets try it this way, floping BAA2 . The other option is to Ambush him near Eans tomb, when he has all the missing pieces and comes to reclaim the price. The downside being that he might gain goodies and powers when he claims the other pieces making him harder to beat.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    New tally, tell me if I got anything wrong:
    Oscar AAB1
    Tome ABB2
    GreyViper BAA2
    Lambchop19 BAB1
    Stinkinator ADB1
    Esquilax BDA2
    Tigranes AAA2
    Baltika9 ADA1
    Stygian Lurker BAA2
    Storyfag ADB1
    Arpad ADB1

1A- 7
    1B- 4

2A- 5
    2D- 6

3A- 5
    3B- 6

1- 6
    2- 5

Which makes the winning combination ADB1: Full meritorious promotions, a thousand men to both locations, Garsu to Odessa, go to Tigrien.

^ Top  
  20. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Flopping to ADB2.

^ Top  
  21. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Ahem. My 3B means "stay at the fort" - an option that'll make itself availible if 2D wins... Unless 2A wins, please count my 3B separately from the Odessa ones.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'll double check the tally in a while then. Results have flipflopped drastically than if I had closed it two days ago. :lol:

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, I've a question for you: considering that, three thousand years ago, the Gieloth started "going native," would it, in theory, be possible that they would start viewng humans less as a three-course meal and more as their lil' bros?

^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Surely it doesn't make sense to tally xxA/Bx and xxx1/2 separately? Most of the votes are either for A2 or B1, with only one exception of B2 from Tome.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Flopped to 4-1 for now, since I would prefer Dio to be the one heading to Tigrien. Will flop if we finally decide to actually "take care" of Garsu through 3A.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.