Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    This makes a sort of sense for us, but why would Dio ever do this? He wants to get rid of Ean so that there will be no messing with his plans, so unless prolonged contact with Anbar-Shi turns results in :retarded: that would simply not be an option once we arrived.
    I'm thinking A or B would be the best for the situation right now, probably B. A would be glorious and all, but that'll only throw more chaos into the situation than we need. With B, we can at least cooperate with the royals and the existing power structure, instead of having to grind it into dust. A is still an option should we go with B, at least.

B.

edit: How distressing! I'd just noticed on another part of the site that I was able to begin with the fisting, but here there is no brofist option. :(

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, it kinda does. See Ban, for example. And besides, I am sure there will be a valid excuse for Dio once he arrives there, to put the sword in it's place, if nothing else.

Personally, as I've said before, we need Ean, so I am willing to stretch the LARPing. Also, Dio is not stupid and would know that having Big E with him would give him a much greater chance of re-unifying the Empire that if he want at it by himself.

^ Top  
  3. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Esquilax I think that's an excellent point about the touching aspect. The safest thing to do might be to bring Ban's prone body with us, so that we don't risk our own touch sabotaging Operation Ean. Of course, then the question is whether there is any benefit to be had in us being the one to touch Ean into wakefulness...

And C for now.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Good idea, though Dio's reasoning as to why he'd hurl a Ban on top of an Ean would be different. That'll become an option if C wins and you go to New Athens.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    The sword didn't devour us because we were able to convince it that not devouring us now would let it consume Ean later. Ean has no such bargaining position available. Going with C means that Diogenes is resolute on making Ean's destruction his number one priority. As you said, Diogenes is smart. He has no reason to suddenly flip on the derp switch, specifically remove the sword from himself and toss it several feet away so that he can awaken Ean and beg him to conquer the empire for him or whatever. I cannot see a single turn of events that would make any part of that a good idea for Dio, so why would it even be presented?

Dio doesn't care about the empire in itself, Dio cares about Dio. An empire re-unified by Ean is obviously not going to be under Dio's power. It's alright to scheme how to sabotage Dio to get Ean back, I guess, but when your scheme requires him to act completely contrary to his entire character and the stated aims in the options you pick, there's a problem.

^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Dio is power-hungry but he is not megalomaniac. He knows that since the fateful day when the fates gave him an extraordinary opportunity, he has shown many moments of brilliance, but not one of his major schemes have come off and he has never achieved any kind of concrete success like, say, even the Madman did or Dagrun currently has. He knows that with a mixed record out in the field, and things in the Empire rapidly going to hell, it's going to be very very difficult for him to get anything done at Ankida.

Contrast that to being the one that brought Ean back to life, a man who Dio knows full well to be an honourable and loyal being, and thus serving as the right-hand man. I think Dio knows that that's the best route to the top for him at the moment - at least, the Dio that we played, reflected in our choices. It's a hell of a lot better than Runikylos.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Regarding Dio's strength while empowered by the sword, it is slightly less than Ean before he jumped into the Olympus rift, but still considerable. He will have gained all the powers that Ean had - telepathy, telekinesis, elemental manipulation, body manipulation, psionics, and improved regeneration. The only thing stopping him from matching or surpassing Ean is that he has not succumbed to the sword like Ban did.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That was a little joke.

Tigranes got to it before I could, but yes: Dio would bring Ean back for higher chances at success at gaining power/ultimate power. As I've stated before, he has absolutely zero legitimacy, the Imperial family are a bunch of scheming dicks and extremely unlikely to hold fidelity if allied with and besides that, he may have the balls to pull this off, but we lack the skill for a hard-mode civil war.

Really, it will be like playing CK2 with 70% of your empire in total secession. Without a decent general, since we already saw the kinds of retards the Empire employs for military command.

Edit: and our "soft power" will not be of tremendous help either, most of the Watchers supported Aodh or RK and fucked us.

^ Top  
  9. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    How difficult, exactly? He has Anbar-Shi in his hands. The very two other options are attempting to outright establish the royals as puppets or else eliminate them and assume their place. He has fantastic powers at his disposal. It's much more of a detour for Dio to take a boat to Iceland, sacrifice all of Anbar-Shi's power (don't think that he's going to be allowed to use it when he explicitly goes back on the promise), and hope that a newly awakened Ean will for some reason decide that it's a good idea to become Dio's puppet after conquering all that territory. What reason would Ean have to accept this? Why should some discredited, backstabbing asshole be his boss in the very empire that Ean created? There's a reason C isn't labelled 'make the original emperor my vassal', you know.

This doesn't go with any of the choices that Dio's made, certainly not this option C. Again, let's take a look at it:

Where in this do you see Dio begging Ean to please, please conquer out the empire because it's too hard for him?

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Dio's fits of madness, his unwillingness to bow before Anbar'Shi(because no-one imposes their will on him, that's why), political savvy.

Really, all we have to do is take the first step on the road and everything else will fall into place.

Edit: and I don't see Dio begging anyone. At most, I see him offering Ean a deal, "you get something and so do I."

^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    The text says 'surely getting rid of Ean now would be the wisest decision you could make.' I'm not sure how to be any clearer than that.

Ean doesn't get anything, and he'd know it. What can Dio possibly bring to offer? It can hardly be anything but begging. That would be Dio admitting he is a weak, weak person and appealing to big, strong emperor Ean to please fix everything up and leave everything for him. Certainly, he wouldn't have Anbar-Shi's power any longer if he entered negotiations with Ean.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yes, well, Dio is not the most consistent person around. In fact, flip-flopping and spontaneity are something of a forte of his: betraying his Watchers at the last second, sacrificing his father and lover, only to flop at the last second for saving face and greater benefit. Sacrificing an eye for his Watcher, assaulting Inge, the whole Rus debacle.

Face it, Dio is Tzeentch and he is patient. For him, Ean could be a long-term power play and Dio certainly does come off as the type of guy that would eat shit short-term to fest with kings and emperors in the long term.

Edit: really, I don't see A or B turning out any better than even the worst outcome of C, that being we let Anbar'Shi devour Ean, for reasons already stated.

Edit 2: In fact, I could very well see Dio turning into an Ahzek Ahriman and later Tzeentch figure, after he realises that Empires are petty diversions and the real power lies in the supernatural.
    As contrasted to Shulgi's chessmaster Eldrad.

^ Top  
  13. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Baltika9, I'm seeing a lot of mental gymnastics and wishful thinking going on. Dio has just achieved a massive power-boost, why the hell would he become Ean's lackey? if anything, he's all the more determined to become the undisputed ruler of the universe at this point - he wants to usurp that power, not become a sycophant to it. He doesn't give a fuck about the Emperor or the Empire - he only cares about himself. Look at this:

He's a man with a tremendous ego who views the universe as his plaything and will sacrifice anything to get ahead. This is not a man who is content to be in second place. I agree with Kipeci entirely and I believe that there is pretty much no justification that could exist for him

I want Ean back, but nevertheless we've got this character and we can't not play as him. I see things going down in one of two ways:

1) Our control over the blade is still very tenuous:

A/B: We break our promise with Anbar-Shi. This is bad. The sword will then proceed to attack our psyche while our guard is down, the same thing that we did just now. We end up like Ban, the sword hijacks our body and makes way toward New Athens, feasting on Ean. Very shitty ending.

2) C: We keep faith with the sword... for now. Once the opportunity arises, we betray the sword a second time when it won't suspect our subterfuge. Maintaining the appearance of honoring our deal now will give us options in the future. treave, I'm assuming that C doesn't necessarily lock us into doing the blade's bidding for the remainder of the chapter, correct?

On that note, I'm voting for C, nonsense of waking up with Ean and teaming up with him aside (look at the choices as they're written, not gonna happen). At the very least, with C, we have room to maneuver and outwit the sword. Going for a powerplay with A/B seems like a surefire way to end up like our pal Ban. I'd love to hear any ideas to the contrary though.

C

Flopped to B

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Not really, I made it clear from the beginning that my position in this is as follows: Dio is a pretty cool guy, but I'm willing to bend here and reach for Ean. Because this IC wankery to play Dio's logical character will just get the whole goddamn planet nuked, the Empire will never be put together and the Concordiat, with or without Tamur, will swarm us. I'm calling it right now, just like I called the transplants, the sword and the secession crisis.
    Why? Because Dio knows sweet Jesus fuck-all about what's going on behind the scenes here and we will be forced to choose between acquiring knowledge(wherein Anbar'Shi will manipulate him, the thing is even more ambitious than him, and strive to take over him regardless. Alliances between villains never end up any other way, especially between a 'Nid Hive Tyrant with actual sentience and ability to thing beyond "om nom nom" and the future Tzeentch) and reuniting the Empire, which will leave us in the dark for a long-ass time.

The sword needs to go back to Ean, because he's the only one who will be able to reign it in, permanently (I'm actually thinking that Anbar'Shi, now awakened and satiated with the life-force of about a hundred thousand humans will grant him a MASSIVE power boost). Dio is badass, yes, but he lacks Ean's discipline and force of will that was built up over four millenniums.

Really, all we have to do is get to Iceland and we'll get a choice and I guarantee that Dio will get a justification.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can stave off the sword's request and keep it content for a while, but not indefinitely, by giving excuses and also by feeding it people in a controlled manner from time to time. It can be patient if it needs to be.

Going C means the next update will be set on New Athens itself, where there will be at least one more major obstacle to overcome before finally reaching Ean's body. I mean, you didn't think it was going to be unguarded, did you? :lol:

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Of course not, no final dungeon ever is. Precisely why I wanted to save the garrison.

Oh, one more thing: the disappearance of the Terrasphagos is not a disappearance. They are preparing another wave, I am sure. We've seen these patterns in between every invasion.

The fact that they disappeared just means it will be truly massive.

Edit:
    even worse, it can out-Dio Dio. Can you give me at least a hint on whether or not this is Pahnrath?

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    ... you're not marching 10,000 people across the continent. Well, you wouldn't have much of an army left after you marched through Skane and Gallia anyway, not to mention the logistics of getting a navy to transport them.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, it appears I've been:troll:. Fine, then, we'll improvise. Shouldn't be a problem for the "Changer of Ways."

Edit: how about taking a small squad of elite troops, then?

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    What elite troops, weren't you guys complaining about the dumbfucks of the Imperial army just a page or two ago? If you want access to the elite warriors of the Empire, you have to go back to Ankida to consolidate your power.

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Alright, are there any dumbfucks less dumb or fucked than the rest? Someone remaining with any experience? I'm talking about a crack team of about twenty-thirty most experienced vets. IF there are none, well, I guess Iceland's defenders will get humiliated by one person.

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Iceland's defender. :troll:

Should be hint enough, really.

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'd kiss you right now if I could, but I don't want to be misunderstood.

Sek/Edem/Artemis/Athena, here we come.

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    And it's fine to sabotage Dio, but one does not do this by going directly to where he can do the most harm to your plan after he specifically declared that he would do the exact action most damaging to your plan based off of the slim hope that treave will throw in an easy way out. You might not want Dio to act in character, but he will in every way that is not up to our decisions; this is not helped when we specifically take the decisions that have him go to knock off Ean. Your justifications have been grasping nonsense about Dio seeking help from him and giving up power for unclear reasons just because you really wish that that would happen, and now you're just reduced to hoping that treave would give us that option when we've gotten to the point where Dio can finally kill him off.

You are setting yourself up for the perfect trolling.

:troll:

Esquilax In light of the information that we can hold off the sword for a moment by securing a sufficiently usable excuse, would you mind flopping to, say, B? It could easily be said that securing support for a proper ship and perhaps that elite squad of troops would be best for landing on the island.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Considering that Iceland has only one defender that we need to worry about, elite troops will be rather useless in the grand scheme of things. It will be the Guardian vs Dio and that's that.

Edit: Also,
    That's from two pages ago. Before this chapter. Getting Ean back is doable.

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The sword doesn't know that, and "I need more time, let's not rush into things or you might miss your feast forever, meanwhile here's some nice juicy man for you" is a viable excuse for those of you who want to keep Dio away from Ean.

The 'you' was referring to the audience in general. Dio doesn't have to be the one who does the deed.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.