Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax, I'm on mobile, so no long quotes, but your interpretation is incorrect: Ban was given the sword by the Brass and was ordered to awaken it. The madman showed him how to.As for his instability:remember when the sword r00fle'd at Ean?Poor bastard.

Tigranes

Arcane
It is the One Ri- oh, fine, Baltika9.

There's a ton of stuff here that's fishy - 'orders from above', we might presume that it was the Prince or thereabouts that gave him the sword, but if the sword was so important, why was the Prince not particularly keen to rescue Ban? I don't think we can make any assumptions about who actually gave the sword to Ban, who he's taking it back to, etc.

Our trips abroad have so far been pretty disastrous with little gain; I suppose we're to decide whether to stick to the political game and salvage what we can, or abandon it altogether and go for broke. The new options are odd, though - I just don't see how we'd get anywhere with C, since we've just proven that we freeze up in a real melee, the troops inside are disorganized and we don't exactly have great respect or reputation. So I guess it's political (A), go for broke (B) or Run Away! (D)

Baltika9

Arcane
I think A is more than political:we're up north with Ban and the Madman. If we play this right and get to work Dio's magic on them, we may be able to persuade them to go straight to Iceland via Baltic.

Since Ban has Anbar'Shi an' shit, we may suceed too.

Esquilax

Arcane
No, this has a price too. I don't think that things will be as simple as Ban just using a superweapon to take out the Rus army and saving the day - things are never that clean. Ean using Anbar-Shi to cause an earthquake at Tjaru carried a hefty price, so will this. treave, is Ban the heroic type, like Ean? I know that he's naive, but I don't know much about him beyond that. I'm just trying to gauge whether using Anbar-Shi is going to cost him his life - I'm curious if he knows that using the sword will result in a heroic sacrifice. Perhaps that's why he seems reluctant to go with any alternatives.

I actually think that the madman has rigged the odds in his favour. He told Ban how to awaken the blade, but I believe that the madman only told him only one way of reawakening it. I think that this is a trick: why would he tell Ban anything that wouldn't benefit himself?

I believe there is another alternative option here as well:

Go with Ban towards the Hittite border. At first opportunity, take the blade from him. Once it's ours, abandon Euphraxes and make way to New Athens toward the vault where Ean resides. Let's take a look at what the Madman believes:

Finally, the Madman of Anatolia has learned little - he has always known the truth about everything before he gained his current powers, though that truth is distorted by his addled brain. There is only one important thing that he has discovered since; the location of Ean's body. It is in a vault in New Athens, having being moved there a hundred years ago when the colony was first founded. He believes that he himself is the Emperor trapped in another body, and he will be able to regain his own form once he makes physical contact with the sleeping Emperor."

The madman's goal is to make physical contact with the Emperor. I am speculating heavily here, but here goes: I believe that the madman's "technique" that he taught Ban is simply a ruse that will allow him to occupy Ean's body. Maybe it will allow him to put some of his own essence into the blade so that when the blade touches the Emperor, it is he who ends up getting all of Ean's powers.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I think it is safest if Ban holds the sword for now. Madman could have taken it and he didn't, someone high in the chain of command had it but they gave it away, even Ban wants to return it.

A.

Baseless speculations: Ean's body returned some hundred years ago and was found by Sek. She came up with a plan to use Anbar-Shi to restore Ean to full health, problem was that the sword corrupts it's user and it would have to be fed by a tremendous amount of life forces. So she used Ean's flesh to create mini-immortals. Anyone of them could use Anbar-Shi and the rest of them would act life force batteries that are being recharged all the time through hardship and battle. Oh wait, that was Baldur's Gate and they didn't have tentacles.

Baltika9

Arcane
To be fair,I think TOME is right and B will give us a fair shot at bringing back Ean.

However,the Rus tribes are what's holding me back.We haven't resolved any major issue,only delayed them at best.If we ignore this, it will just become a problem later.

Baltika9

Arcane
You know, with madness so prevalent among Ean's "children," I wonder if somewhere out there in Wallachia lives a batshit insane adoptee to the royal line, believing he needs blood to survive?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.20: Massacre at Fort Euphraxes

"The Empire needs your help at Euphraxes. Ban, you're the only one who can save them."

"I have orders to return the sword once it awakens."

"Ban, listen to me. You have your orders, yes, but you must do the right thing here." Of course, the right thing was to salvage your reputation somehow, and Ban was the only way you could do that now. "The lives of 30,000 men depend on you."

"The lives of 30,000 men depended on me." he said, blankly.

"Ban, for the Emperor's sake, just listen to me. Have I guided you wrong so far? Have I lied to you about anything? I am right on this one, and you know it." You have no choice but to pressure him, pushing him into deciding your way. "Are you going back to Mirsani and tell her that you let a full quarter of the Imperial Army die to some violent barbarians because one of your superiors wanted you to return his silly sword? It's just a useless blade -"

"It's not, Dio."

"Well, in the greater scheme of things, it isn't!" You weren't too sure about that yourself - the one thing you were certain about was that you could probably put it to better use than Ban... in the greater scheme of things.

"Dio, I... I don't know..."

He looked confused now, like the young man he really is. You press your advantage.

"You are the best soldier in the army. I know that... everyone knows that. I can't be like you, or else I'd already be at Euphraxes myself. This is something only you can do. Ban, orders are orders, yes, but what do you really serve? The oath of the Imperial army is to the precepts of the Empire and to the Imperial family, who are the living embodiment of those principles."

"My mission with the sword was an Imperial decree. I serve the Imperial family" Ban whispers. It came only as a slight surprise, but you do not falter.

"So what? Does it matter if the Emperor himself wants the sword back immediately? Think, Ban. You are only delaying its return to save the lives of tens of thousands of his loyal men. Any good ruler would do just about anything to ensure the safety of his loyal subjects, and all the Emperors who have ruled by the Empire's precepts are good rulers. Are you implying that our Imperial family are not good or just?" Ban kept silent, looking away.

"I have done so much for you so far-"

"I know that!" he growls, but you do not miss a beat. "So if I can ask for a favour in return, I ask only this. Save the men in Fort Euphraxes. They are your brothers in arms." You get on your knees, preparing to prostrate yourself before him. "I have never asked you for anything before this. My friendship was always given freely, without asking for recompense. But if there's one thing that I want you to do, as a friend of mine..."

"Dio, that's enough. I'll do it." Ban spoke in resignation. "I'll help you, so that's enough."

As you smile at him, you see that his face remains solemn. "You are my friend, right?" he asks. You nod firmly. "Till the end of time, Ban."

"This sword... I can't lose it. But if I go into battle with it, I might lose myself. If that happens... can you take care of it?"

You nod again. "Leave it to me." He heaves a sigh of relief. "I knew I could trust you, Dio." You give him a grin. "So, what next, Ban? We need to go back to Tigrien to gather the men still there..."

"There will be no need," Ban says with a slight smile on his lips. "Another thousand men would do nothing. You said it yourself; this is something only I can do. I alone am enough. Put your trust in me to the end."

The nomadic tribesmen had set up encampments scattered around the fort with no real organization. The fog had cleared, allowing you sufficient vision of the entire area. You had only ever seen so many men and horses gathered in one place during festivals in Ankida. You and Ban were perched on a nearby hill, having disposed of several sentries on your way. "There, you see?" Ban pointed to a large black banner fluttering above one of the largest camps.

"The Madman of Anatolia is here. That is his standard - the tribesmen use none." His teeth gleamed in a feral grin as he unsheathed the sword he had been tasked with awakening. As before, when he drew it the world seemed to go still and silent, the ring of metal on sheath absorbing all noise. "Wait, you're going into that alone? Ban-"

Your words go unheard, as he leaps into action.

You had never seen anyone move that fast. Within minutes alarms had been raised, but fire had somehow exploded over the first camp Ban had hit. Invisible waves seemed to surge forth from his wake, tossing aside man and horse alike. As time ticked away, more and more of the tribal encampments became nothing more than smouldering wreckages. It was not long before you saw men trickling away from the camps, attempting to flee Ban's whirlwind of destruction. Horns were blown as the tribal leaders tried to rally their troops, but the continued screams of dying men told you that it was of no use.

"How am I supposed to stop that?" you murmur to yourself.

As the battle against one men reaches the camp where the Madman was purported to be, a dark shadow, jet black even in the sunlight, enveloped the area. At the same time, the gates of the fort opened up. It seems as if the defenders had decided to sally forth, encouraged by the havoc wreaked upon their besiegers. They charged into the fray, attempting to meet up with Ban - and began to scream in the same way their tribal enemies had. Imperial soldiers were hurled into the air as if they were ragdolls.

Had Ban lost control?

At the same time, the shadow faded, and you spotted a lone man riding away from the carnage. It could be the Madman, but you were not entirely certain.

A. Your promise to Ban notwithstanding, you cannot let him cut down his own allies. You rush to stop him before the damage becomes too deep to repair, though you are not sure if you are actually capable of stopping him in his tracks.

B. Capturing the madman now and allowing Ban to slaughter Imperial men would both increase your stature and decrease his at the same time. You could not wish for a better scenario - you intercept the fleeing man.

Kipeci

Arcane
Try A.

As much as it might be great for us to increase our stature with B, I can't help but feel that this scene is giving us ample reasons for why we should try to avoid pissing off Ban. Additionally, I'm not even sure if we could manage to capture the Madman by ourselves.

Baltika9

Arcane
A- with the caveat that if Dio dies, his last act will be to tell Ban about Ean being in Iceland, how to awaken him, guilt trip him into going to awaken Ean immediately, the Imperial family's involvement, Fenrir the orphanage and Aodh. In that order.
P.S.: the whole exchange was masterful, but this:
As you smile at him, you see that his face remains solemn. "You are my friend, right?" he asks. You nod firmly. "Till the end of time, Ban."
:bravo:
treave, you are magnificent. Thank you for this LP. It is a real pity we can't afford to indulge in Dio bastardry, because we simply have more important shit to do. Hell, if he survives this, I'd even be tempted LP him myself were it possible. Not Doomrider/Mega Space Cthulhu , and certainly not Ean, but I'll be damned if this isn't entertaining.

Tigranes

Arcane
A because I really can't see B ending up well. If Ban truly loses control then there will be greater catastrophes here, if Ban gets his mind back then he will be out for our blood. We have to try our best, insofar as it doesn't (hopefully) get us sliced up.

Esquilax

Arcane
Jesus Christ, Dio is a master of taking victory from the jaws of defeat (though it remains to be seen whether or not this will be a victory). First he manages to cover up his own greedy powerplay by killing his own Watchers, then he manages to parley with Fenrir after a ballsy gamble against Dagrun's cultists, now he just might come out on top after a series of fuck-ups at playing at general. It's hard not to admire Dio's ability to improvise and his sheer ballsiness under pressure.

Anyways, I feel like you guys might be rationalizing in favour of A too much because B is the asshole choice. Are you voting for A because it's the best option or because it's the option that Ean would be more likely to take? Be honest here.

A- with the caveat that if Dio dies, his last act will be to tell Ban about Ean being in Iceland, how to awaken him, guilt trip him into going to awaken Ean immediately, the Imperial family's involvement, Fenrir the orphanage and Aodh. In that order.

Not sure if he can be reasoned with in his state, and with his current power, he'll chop Dio's head off before he gets a single word in edgewise. :lol:

The updates have hinted that he's already flipped out before, and I'm not sure how Dio's intervention would make Ban snap out of his battle frenzy. Short of taking the blade from him (good fucking luck) how do we intend to talk him down? But on the other hand, do we really need the madman at this point? After all, we already know where Ean resides, and we came here to recruit Ban for a trip to New Athens anyways. Perhaps the knowledge of how to awaken the sword himself would be another asset.

As much as it might be great for us to increase our stature with B, I can't help but feel that this scene is giving us ample reasons for why we should try to avoid pissing off Ban. Additionally, I'm not even sure if we could manage to capture the Madman by ourselves.

Going toe to toe with the madman is a far better prospect than trying to take on a man who single-handedly killed off 70,000 barbarians.

Anyways, this is a very tough choice. I can't help but wonder if this isn't an outcome that the madman anticipated and is prepared for.

A because I really can't see B ending up well. If Ban truly loses control then there will be greater catastrophes here, if Ban gets his mind back then he will be out for our blood. We have to try our best, insofar as it doesn't (hopefully) get us sliced up.

Maybe once he comes back to reality, he'll be vulnerable.

Baltika9

Arcane
More reasons to vote A: swing our scale from full renegade to paragon and finally return Ean, or at least pray that Ban will listen to Dio as he is dying in his arms; and having Ban fall into the sword's corruption is a Bad Idea.
Also, fuck all this gallivanting like a headless chicken across the known world, we have a chance for a full Imperial victory that will bolster the whole nation's morale, let's not fuck this up. Besides, going back on our BRO word to the one true BRO is very UN-BRO.
Fuck being UN-BRO.
:rpgcodex:
Not sure if he can be reasoned with in his state, and with his current power, he'll chop Dio's head off before he gets a single word in edgewise. :lol:
I do indeed see what you did there.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I don't want Ban getting the idea we betrayed him. That would be too scary. A.

And fuck that sword is powerful. If Ean ever gets it, who is going to stop him in battle?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
It is definitely Anbar-Shi, but I meant now that it has awoken. It wasn't that powerful last time Ean had it.

Omicron

Scholar
Maybe it grew in power as Ean (and the sword) lay dormant just like the first time Ean 'died' and after his 300-year beauty sleep improved most of his abilities. On the other hand since acquiring hunger this hasn't really worked.
Another explanation could be that the Watchers children creation program also affected Anbar-Shi in some way.

GreyViper

Prophet
Wow that was something.:incline:
Have to go with A , because I hope we can save Ban before he kills himself and remove the sword from him.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I need my fix!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom