Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I don't actually care about that, the point is crafting a justification for our sword... which doesn't know about the guardian. We don't have many details, either, as seen by you guessing four different individuals.

I never said it wasn't, but somehow going with the idea that explicitly plans on killing him doesn't seem great to me on achieving that end.

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    To be fair, it's most likely Sek, which gives us many opportunities. But if it's any of our other BROs, which it probably is not, since Sek is the only one who really cares about Ean, we're in the clear as far as Ean goes.
    Really, I'm pretty sure that if we don't seize this chance, we'll end up killing her, Ean or both in the future.
    Yeah, only we'll waste time and give someone else the opportunity to awaken Ean. Which will bring a shitton of problems on it's own.
    Can't get a better hint than that, really.

I'll just pause for effect for now, I'm cluttering the space too much. The Kingdom of Jerusalem awaits!

^ Top  
  3. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    I just marathoned this thread. It is rather good.

Seems like the main thing Dio should be worried about is the massively powerful sentient sword inside his chest; long-term career-planning can take a back seat.

There might be someone in Ankida who could help with bringing the sword more fully under Dio's control. (Ban did say that his mission to awaken it was given by imperial decree, so the imperial family at least knows something about Anbar'Shi.) On the other hand, seeking out information about the sword without it discovering our duplicity seems unfeasible. I don't see any other benefit to Dio in going to Ankida. Three of the kingdoms are in rebellion, a fourth faces a zombie invasion, and there are possible external threats on the horizons; these are all large problems, unlikely to be solved before the sword starts to get agitated.

I see two ways for this to end well for Dio. One, he could feed Ean to the sword as promised, hoping that it will willingly serve him after it feasts and becomes even more powerful (why?) or that he will be able to bring it under his control (how?). He then claims to be Ean reborn and proceeds to clean house; given that his powers in this eventuality will likely exceed Ean's at their height, this should be the easy part of that plan. Or two, he could try to awaken Ean and serve as his immortal right hand in his reconquest of the Empire. Once awake, Ean can probably take care of the sword for us.

Both of these point to going to Iceland. The best reason I can see to not go is if we're stalling until one of our hundred siblings can awaken Ean. If so inclined, they are probably more capable of doing that than the dude with the powerful Ean-eating sword in his chest. Still, C for now.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    As a last note: I'm fine with both characters and whoever wins, I'll fight tooth and nail for their success. Which is why I am so adamant on going C and getting Ean back through flops and meta: if we switch to Dio, I'll start playing as Dio, which means Ean will become our rival and most likely nemesis (really, him and Dio are two sides of the same coin, they are natural rivals). And I don't want that.

^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    If she is the guardian, going there with the intention of killing Ean is more likely to kill her than any other option.

Dio doesn't care about the state of the empire; he cares about personal power. Currently, he has the opportunity to claim the power he craves through options A and B, or by choosing C to knock off Ean and secure power. Your second option is not going to happen; Dio will not settle for 'immortal right-hand man', he's making this trip specifically to kill Ean. Your first option seems liable to backfire, and given that its been explicitly stated that Dio can hold off on the trip while trying to bring the empire under him, why not?

^ Top  
  6. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    The two aren't entirely extricable. I don't think it's to Dio's benefit to start a civil war while the empire's already torn in half and menaced by external threats, unless he's looking to become God-Emperor of the three shacks set up around the ruins of Ankida.

I'm thinking about Dio's endgame. He's going to have to deal with Ean's body in every eventuality. How does going to Ankida help him with that?

^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    The empire is weakened, yes, but it's in much better shape than that. At any rate, it's better to establish some power than to immediately head off to Iceland where the sword can potentially turn on him post Ean-devouring.

By establishing an actual base of power with soldiers and the like, accessing all the information it holds on Ean, the sword, all of that? Wandering blindly into bad situations hasn't been much of a boon to him thus far, and obviously the imperial family knows a lot of information that we don't. An idea of how to control the sword so that it won't kill him the second it devours Ean would be nice, as otherwise he enjoys nothing.

^ Top  
  8. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Soldiers seem unlikely to be useful. More information on how to control the sword would be very useful but seems difficult to gather. The sword can hear everything we say and hear, right? If we directly antagonize it by asking around about its powers and how it can be controlled, it'll realize our true intentions and start fighting against us.

My impression is that maintaining control over the sword will get harder over time, not easier. We also have 99 siblings, at least two of which (the madman or Dagrun, under Fenrir's guidance) know the location of Ean's body. If we waste time with vulgar displays of power in the capital, one of them may decide that the best way to deal with the empowered Dio is to awaken or consume Ean themselves. Also, treave has hinted that this will happen.

^ Top  
  9. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    My two cents is that it could do the Empire some good to retreat back to its initial size (Eastern Mediterranean). A: Dio for Emperor!

B: Rule from the shadows

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, if Dio ends up the winner of the chapter, can we shapeshift Anbar'Shi into a staff? I need to know, for stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I do find A somewhat more disagreeable than B, but if oscar is not willing to budge, I will gladly accept A to ensure that C is not undertaken.

^ Top  
  12. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I'm not dead set on A either to be honest. I really don't have a clue on this decision but don't feel like destroying Ean.

^ Top  
  13. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I thought that it would suit Dio more to make the royal family into his puppets with B rather than to eliminate them with violence and outright declare himself emperor as in A. We may as well take advantage of the existing power structure, rather than messily blow it apart and try to bring the pieces back together; we're certainly having problems enough in the empire without that, anyway.

C is the one where we attempt to destroy Ean.

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Look, everything else aside, there's one thing that's being forgotten: Dio is known to flop when and how it suits him. Besides which, I really can;t see him being comfortable with feeding a god to "Volly's Sword of Mindfucking," when said sword can dominate/mindcrush him in an instant.

And if we factor in that this guardian is probably Sek, I'm sure we'll get the chance to betray Anbar'Shi.

P.S.: Fuck the Seljuks, Fatimids and Byzantines.

^ Top  
  15. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    What flop of this magnitude can you think of? I saw your examples on the other page, and they were ones of 'backstabbing', not flopping. Backstabbing is only done where one benefit's one's self. It does not fit Dio's interests in any way to leave Ean alive, regardless of the other circumstances.

This is a man who depended on his lover being raped and driven to suicide by his intentional plotting to begin his rise to power coupled with engineering the poisoning of his father figure. There's really not much that I'd leave him to be uncomfortable with after that. Furthermore, that's all the more reason for Diogenes to have no reason to head to Iceland at the moment; if his options are 'kill Ean and get soul devoured' or 'get killed by Ean', it's a bad idea to go in general. Though, I don't see why he'd need to kill Ean with the sword. For all we know, he could just fling it away into the ocean or somewhere in an icy cavern while he's there and just slit Ean's throat with a regular knife. This is why we should get as much as we can out of Anbar-Shi at the moment.

How is the guardian 'probably Sekhenun'? Do you realize how much of your plan hinges on somehow coming across a revelation that causes Dio's personality to take a 180, for the sword to be denied, for the guardian to be a certain figure?

It seems that the tide is leaning toward C, but keep in mind; whenever we've taken the option to kill someone here, the character has done it. You forfeit any right to whinge about the results if your master plan to not get Ean killed by taking the option to get Ean killed results in Ean dying.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Just caught back up with the chapter. I don't see this as a repeat of not going to Greece to defeat Marduk, and killing Ean with the sword makes me concerned. Through that, it might grow too powerful for Dio to control, which we don't want. Dio has already imposed some of his will on the sword, with time, and by denying it, I think he'll master it in the long-term.

For now I'm going to vote A, it's time we confront RK-47

A

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You know, for a long while I suspected you of being treave's secret confidante. Today, I'm almost certain of it. You're trying to tell us the right way to play Dio, aren't you?

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Damn you...
    Edit: of course, if you're just bullshitting us here, then we're screwed. But the possibilities...they are endless.

^ Top  
  20. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Kipeci makes perfect sense and ignoring his extremely well put together post is going to be a recipe for disaster. Following the whims of the sword sounds like it could really fuck us in the ass. The sword is just waiting for the right moment to overcome us.

However, I must disagree with Smashing Axe and oscar. I think that taking the throne ourselves would be a terrible idea and lead to a lot of the Kingdoms that we still hold fracturing. Dio has become a much smarter power-player over the course of this chapter, much as Shulgi (who we believe is Fenrir) has: you don't need to be the one wearing the crown to be the one in control. And in this case, ruling from the shadows is far better in terms of stability:

The Imperial family has been a 3,000 year old symbol of stability and prosperity, and I'm uncertain if Dio will be able to uphold the Kingdom on his own like this. Yes, confidence in the Imperial family now is low, but if we return to Ankida as a hero and destroy the undead plaguing Egypt, that will stabilize the remainder of the Empire and it will make everyone dependent on Dio.

Killing off the entire royal family risks further fracturing an Empire that is already very unstable. A stable Empire suits Dio's interests - he doesn't want the various Kingdoms being torn apart. As long as they're under the aegis of the Imperial family, he will rule by proxy.

Based on the excellent arguments made, I am flopping my original vote to B.

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Certain someones are following Dio's actions with interest and not all of them are amused. Only some.

^ Top  
  22. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Well, time for me to vote as well, and keeping a tighter reign on the sword through any means possible seems like a brilliant idea. Better than letting it feed on Ean, certainly. I'll side with Esquilax here.

B

^ Top  
  23. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Yeah flopped. I mainly supported A as I enjoy 4X empire-building.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, this new information certainly does give me more reasons to flop to B. However, I'll hold on to C for now. I've already wrote many(too many, perhaps) posts on why, so in conclusion I'll say this:
    We're not playing in a vacuum and if we don't seize the opportunities we have now, later they may very well be gone.

Besides, my flop won't change much anyways and if we'll play the next chapter as Dio, well, I'm fine with that.

Elite guard, eh? I'm still waiting on that confirm for making Anbar'Shi a staff, treave.
    [​IMG]
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  25. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Where is the quest compass when you need one?

B. Soon Dio will hopefully realize that waking Ean is the best way to survive. Terasphagos, Concordia, Fenrir, Gieloths, Masters...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.