Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not exactly a goon squad attack, but I can say that each choice will introduce you to a different antagonist (though all of them will eventually appear).

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Voting A as well. I thought the whole reason we approached Erika was to get her to join our team, so why aren't we doing that?
Yet the whole reason we want her to join the team is to impress Kyrie. So why aren't we doing that? I've got a good feeling about B.

Baltika9

Arcane
Voting A as well. I thought the whole reason we approached Erika was to get her to join our team, so why aren't we doing that?
Yet the whole reason we want her to join the team is to impress Kyrie. So why aren't we doing that? I've got a good feeling about B.
Because we already have a "quest" from her, and without a competent trainer we will fail at tit. Which will piss her off more, I'd say, although I definitely see the appeal of going B.

Also, I really want to see this "uncle" and find out about the crazy bitch trying to kill us.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
I can respect that, it's just that we've had the hint that something is going to go "down" with each of the choices, or at least, that we're going to come face to face with an antagonist. The antagonist we face might not necessarily be a combatant, instead they might be a rival for princess' affections or something. Still, I would like to be there on the oft chance she's attacked so we can play superhero and possibly skip the whole club quest altogether.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's still a bit early for this to really matter but here's how the choices have played out in terms of the main relationships, not counting their effect on the character himself...

Welcome to Alpha Protocol.

A. I take a walk around the neighbourhood, confirming the layout with the map I have and keeping alert for any oddities. One can never be too safe. (Erika +1)

B. My new life starts tomorrow at school. There’s no longer any need to be paranoid; the ISC have an eye (maybe many eyes) on me anyway. Best to turn in early so I’m not late the next day. (Yua +1, Kyrie +1)

A. She has insulted me one time too many! I will prove her wrong and lead an athletics club to glory, even though I might be horrible at physical activities. It's not the smartest thing to do, but... a man must have his pride! (Kyrie -1)

B. I hate to admit it, but she's right. My brains are greater than my brawn, and I can accomplish her little 'quest' more easily by joining an academic club. It's better to play it safe, especially when dealing with a capricious and powerful spoilt brat. (Kyrie +1, Keiko +1)

C. The only way to win is to not play. She is clearly taunting me. Students are encouraged to join an extracurricular club. If I recall correctly, it is not compulsory. I tell her that, and let her know that though I may be sponsored by her father's corporation, I will not be bullied by her. (Kyrie +2)

A. I grasp the bright inferno, seeking the strength to burn all existence to ashes. (Erika +1, Keiko +1)

B. I seize the dark void, desiring the power to bring eternal stillness to the world. (Kyrie +1, Yua +1)

A. I am excited by this new ability of mine. It is a good thing, a chance for me to change both myself and the world. I am eager to use it as much as possible. (Erika +1)

B. It is an interesting ability, to be sure, but there are too many things I don’t know for me to decide how to feel about it. More experimentation is needed. (Kyrie +1)

C. This ability worries me. It comes with side-effects, it appeared too conveniently, and I should probably try to forget about it as much as possible. Best to live life normally. (Yua +1)

A. I am not confident I can hide the damage to the house. I tell them about the creatures, but I keep my powers to myself. Keeping some secrets might displease them if they find out, but it can also be used as a bargaining chip if I play it right. (Kyrie +1)

B. I reveal both the creatures and my powers to the ISC. I am contracted to them and so far they have pretty much lived up to their end of the bargain. I will need allies, and the ISC can be reliable ones. (Kyrie +2)

C. I spend some time to wipe the security logs and concoct a story for the damage. I cannot trust the ISC with anything. The only person I can count on is myself. (Yua +2)

A. I will talk to her about what happened before. In public. With a lot of people about, lest she try to kill me again. She appears to know much more about this strange world than I do. (Erika +2)

B. I look for her uncle instead. The man seems reasonable. He might own the bookstore Erika seems to live at. (Erika +1)

C. I stay away from her as much as I can. That girl is seriously scary and plain bad news. (Keiko +1)

Shulgi points are hidden. He's the secret romance.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
treave, any chance we could get an idea what the numbers represent? Does a score of 4 mean well-liked, disinterested, or something else?

Also hugely regretting not choosing to refuse her quest now :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nothing as well-structured as that, I just use them to determine how close you are to entering a particular route. For example, if you hang around Erika a lot or do things that gain you lots of points with her, she (and her particular plot) will become the focus of the chapter's climax. In more ways than one, if when we get to that part I'm still asked to write a sex scene. :lol:

edit: Obviously the higher the points, the better the relationship though. You can think of 0 as disinterest, and any points you gain after that as increasing their interest in you/gaining their approval.

One thing to note is this; had you chosen to stay at home, you'd have gained a +1 Kyrie point but missed out on the chance to get her +2 the next day. Meeting her politely and having her show you around school like she planned to would not have netted you any extra points... not to mention that you wouldn't have been attacked so early, or in your own house, changing a few more choices down the road and the possible points you can get.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
So unless my count is off, our scores are:

Erika +3
Kyrie +2
Yua +1
Keiko 0

I therefore stand by my vote of B. We must integrate our core competencies and capitalise on the synergy with our previous choices :salute:

Also, not a grand fan of Erika either.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Michael relationship counter starts with this update, so do pick E if you want the Kenjutsu Club Rules the World ending.

Baltika9

Arcane
Welcome to Alpha Protocol.
I knew it. Now all we have to do is get in good with pwincess and we'll get recruited. This may not be the Titan Quest\PS:T we've played so far, but
:drink:
Say, back chapter six you said that if we accrued enough Sek points, something would happen. Now that they are out of commission, likely forever, what would have happened?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She'd opt to stay if she ever found a way off the planet. Then you guys just had to go jump in the rift.

Baltika9

Arcane
Flippin' to B, since Kyrie is our overseer and gateway into the upper echelons of society. Besides, we might want to capitalize on this chance right away, before another rival pops up. We're not the only ones concerned with their future connections, I'll bet. Edit: besides, she reminds me way too much of Iltani.

Let's just hope nothing bad happens to/with Erika in the meanwhile.
She'd opt to stay if she ever found a way off the planet. Then you guys just had to go jump in the rift.
Doesn't mean that we wouldn't have opened it ourselves. I know I would :M

Bloodshifter

Educated
How can you guys WANT the progeny of Ean I mean this time around we can't even rule a country if we wanted to. What's the point of befriending the person who most likely snipped our AI and point Cameras in our house for 'security' purposes.

edit: due to Codex problems my new Flagging da Love Tally will be posted later.

Baltika9

Arcane
How can you guys WANT the progeny of Ean I mean this time around we can't even rule a country if we wanted to. What's the point of befriending the person who most likely snipped our AI and point Cameras in our house for 'security' purposes.
She didn't snip anything, no, most likely doesn't have the expertise, although we could be surprised.
It's just that it will be easier to sneak past surveillance if we're screwing the pooch that's supposed to be watching us.

Also, "ruling?" Leave that to the paper pushers, we have a universe to explore and bad Mike Thorton impressions to do.

Baltika9

Arcane
A- 4 m4davis, GreyViper, Azira, root
B- 7 Lambchop19, Esquilax, SmashingAxe, Storyfag, Esquilax, Baltika9, Tigranes
C- 4 Zwist, Bloodshifter, Oscar, CaptainAwesome​
D- 2 Kipeci, TOME
Tell me if anything is off.

Edit: and don't forget to bring some cookies and chocolate.

Cassidy

Arcane
This thread literally became too painful to read any further. Like if root twisted his WH40k IF into Squad Broken 3.

:desu: :desu: :desu: :desu: :desu:

Baltika9

Arcane

Bloodshifter

Educated
I am certain tthat after the Prologue we will gwt back to killing things and badassery.

Seeing as the Q's are being piled up.
1. Were the 'voices' some sort of 'food' for us? Because we never really 'changed' and I noticed near the end both Shulgi and Ean went and 'ate' them as they continued using their powers to stupid levels of badassery.
2. What would the current Geo-Political climate have looked like if we decided to support the Empire vote of increased Social Identity instead of opening trade routes?
3. What DID we eat when we ate People?
4. Does Immortals taste like chicken?

Tigranes

Arcane
B

If it's primarily a choice of which alliance we strengthen, I vastly prefer Kyrie to the girl who can't talk properly that always might turn around and stab us in the face.

Baltika9

Arcane
I can't wait to see how fucked up the world became in our absence: we took a nap for three hundred years and the whole of Egypt got infiltrated by Sek's cult, and Marduk rose; we went out of commission for a hundred and Marduk almost got the planet nuked; three thousand years inbetween dimensions and the world got screwed by a megalomaniac Naram and Dio (really, when we fail we win: we took him from an adopted nobody to the founder of the Masters; like we took Ean from an orphaned nobody to Emperor and savior of the world on two separate occasions; would've made it to God if it weren't for Sek being lonely. Seriously, why did she do that to Ean?:rpgcodex: ).

We sent Ean to rest for another thousand and already I see a lot of problems. This is going to be awesome.
michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Baltika9

Arcane
you know Baltika, I think you ought to stop seeing shadows everywhere. Apart from Shulgi, who may be around, somehow, I'm p sure the remaining cast is well and truly dead and buried and this new mecha phase is suppose to bring us past them, not shackle us to the characters that came before.
But who said anything about the old cast? The new guys are more than capable of causing troubles on their own (Dio) and by "trouble" I don't mean just the supernatural kind. We have some Human/Gieloth halfbreeds around, unless their genes dissipated over time, which could have easily been prevented by interbreeding. We also have human-made monstrosities running amok.

Don't mistake me, I'm not stirring up paranoia. It's how screwed up the situation can get when left to it's own devices, that's what is "going to be awesome" and, dare I say, Epic.

Baltika9

Arcane
well, you keep bringing them up.
Only in the context of our past accomplishments and "accomplishments"(although I would be a complete liar if I said I'm not hoping to see Ean again, in one form or another), with some self-referential humor thrown into the mix, although Dio might still exist, creator of the Masters and all.
As for the descendant, well, treave did tease us with a "saving it for the future," and I've been itching to play
photo-full.jpg

"The Epic CYOA by treave" for a long while now, so can you blame me?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom