Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well then, if we manage to capture the sucker, we'll be rolling in upgrade opportunities. :smug:

Also, what would the second person be doing in the CF if not controlling turrets? If we take him/her out quickly, we might salvage the turrets without too much damage to them. M:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I would have suggested targeting only the carriers and cruisers if 2C would have won. Using the two Vizalas as a bait to lure some of the enemy CFs away, then doing single flyby with Anhur and targeting the reactors and engines with beam weapons. In a result, enemy would be too crippled to follow and exploding carries could take out many fighters and mechs. But luckily A won.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C would have been awesome had we pulled it off, but from the beginning I think we had the flawed understanding that the plan was to do serious damage to the enemy rather than simply make them look like fools and run away.

Dodged a bullet here, folks.
You get laid.
:rage:

Seriously though, tough fight ahead. We still need to be very careful with our choices. Especially since this guy has all the upgrades (I'm guessing that means the sniper rifle that can destroy ships at long range too.)

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, Senya's powers and demeanor considered, we'll be like this guy
images

only a more pussifyed and EDGY version. Like this
gamescom-2012-vergil-gets-a-new-look-in-dmc-too_1.jpg

:troll:
Edit: to be on the safe side, I am not asking for this; in fact, if Senya ever does go down that road, I'm hoping Shulgi will put him out of his misery as quickly and painfully as possible.

Bloodshifter

Educated
Needless to say blowing up that prototype is our top pirority.

Capturing it or its Pilots is a secondary Objective now the Carrier it came with is also a Secondary Objective with any spare parts for the Prototype being a Primart Objective ya?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mother Crab

track: mobile suit

Asteroid field K-5571 is what is left of a collision between two large asteroids, each measuring kilometres in diameter. Seventy years ago, astronomers detected that one of the asteroids was on a collision path with the Earth. The UNS put rockets on another asteroid and played billiards with it, successfully shattering both asteroids and redirecting their paths into a stable orbit close to Sun L4. One of the millions of rocky fragments left behind is where I am currently backed up against.

The mission was simple; capture or destroy the prototype mech in testing. Though the Anhur is itself a valuable prototype, Captain Grimrock felt that it was better off operating alone thanks to its mobility; even Vizala II frames find it hard to keep up. Staying in formation would be reducing the Anhur's speed advantage. Naim and Jean – great odds of finding another pilot with the exact same name, it seems – have launched and are standing by waiting to provide fire support. My role is to flush out the enemy prototype and lure it into the open, where we can work together to disable it.

That is, if it is here.

“See anything, Yua?”

“Nothing yet... wait, there's a heat signature about three kilometres away.” she responds, giving me the coordinates. Best to check it out. The enemy carrier that was supposed to be transporting the frame is still nowhere to be seen. I direct Anhur cautiously towards the signature, slipping from rock to rock. I rely on just my verniers to propel my movement in order to minimize my profile.

“The signature is getting stronger!”

It's approaching me. I keep my distance, carefully moving out of its path. I'll let it pass me by. It does. A large brown object roars past me at high speed, broken shards of rock left in its wake. What was that?

“Yua, did you get a good look?”

The only thing we knew about the enemy prototype was that it would be piloted by two people, and boasted a variety of advanced weaponry. I wasn't expecting... this. The body is a large brown pyramid, at least three times as long as Anhur is tall. Two multi-segmented arms stick out from the sides, each ending in a gigantic claw. Four pairs of pincer-like legs are folded under it. There's also several suspicious looking bubble-like protrusions on its back, six in total.

That's...

“Master, it's a crab! A giant robot crab!” shouts Yua excitedly. She's always liked cooking them, for some reason. Although I have no idea what possessed the UNS scientists to create something that looks like this, that doesn't matter right now. Time to get to work.

I roll Anhur out from behind the rock and fire a shot at the enemy frame. My aim is spot on. The bright yellow beam streaks towards it, but a bright flash appears before it hits the main body. The particles disperse, as if stopped by something.

“That's a particle barrier, Master.”

Just like the one they're currently reworking to put on my frame, then. If this is powered by that thing's reactor, though, it should be more powerful, considering its size. Beams aren't going to work that easily. I dash to the right, avoiding the enemy's reply to my attack. A couple of rockets fly past harmlessly and blow up some rocks behind me. It looks like when unfolded, those pincer legs also double as rocket launchers. The pointy ends are rockets. That really stumps me. Why?

“Yua, why would anyone make something like that?”

“It's a crab, Master.” she replies, as if that explains everything.

“I don't think that has anything to do with it!” I should continue with the operation now that I have its attention. I kick the thrusters up and begin speeding away from the enemy, heading towards where Naim and Jean are waiting. As I check the rear camera, it seems that I don't have to worry about it losing me – that thing might not look too agile, but in a straight line it is fast. The claws open up and begin firing at me – the six particle barrels within are arranged in a spread formation, causing me to veer off course in order to dodge all of the beams. I patch a call through to Naim.

“Lieutenant! I'm bringing it to you!”

“It? You mean the prototype?”

“The crab!”

“What are you babbling about?” shouts Naim exasperatedly. “Put a leash on your computer, Ensign!”

“We need a codename for this thing, don't we? Can't keep calling it the prototype.” says the new guy, Jean. I hope he fares better than the old Jean.

“What should we call it, Yua?” I say.

“Obviously, it's the Crab Frame!” she says happily. Alright, let's go with that.

“The Crab Frame has a particle barrier, Lieutenant!” I inform him of the fact; he'd be pissed if he had to waste a few shots from the Vizala II's beam rifle to figure out that beams don't work.

“I hope you know what you're doing... all units, lead with solid weaponry.” mutters Naim through the comm.

“This is Jean, roger that.”

I dodge another set of beams and reach the edge of the asteroid field. We're in position. I hear Jean gasp. “Holy fuck, that is a crab.”

“On my mark...” says Naim.

The two Vizala IIs belonging to Naim and Jean pop up above and below the Crab Frame as it passes by, firing their rocket launchers. Their timing is good – the barrier doesn't stop the rockets, which hit the enemy frame and explode. Unfortunately, as the smoke clears, it seems that not much damage was done.

I hear Naim complaining over the comm. “Looks like the crab has a tough shell.”

It points its claws upwards and begins firing at him. Naim dodges behind a large rock. Several of the beams melt into it, but he's already dashing out from behind it, firing his machine-gun at the frame. At the same time, Jean and I boost towards the crab. If we can't take it with our guns, then perhaps melee weaponry will work better. We scatter, dodging the rockets from its legs, before crossing paths and approaching from both sides. Pattern Delta, I believe Naim called it, while we were training in the simulators.

Jean's mono-molecular sword doesn't work too well, getting stuck in the armor. My beam saber, on the other hand, cleaves through one of the legs easily enough. Looks like that's the only thing that'll work effectively for now. Before I can bring my saber back for another swing, the crab's pilots sense the danger. They push their throttle to the maximum and charge off, away from us; Jean still clinging on to the sword embedded in the enemy. There is a loud puff as the armor block his sword is stuck in falls away. Jean's Vizala tumbles away in the vacuum. The Crab Frame makes a wide turn and comes around, going straight for him. This is bad – he won't recover in time to dodge.

“Fuuuuuuuu--------” screams Jean. I ram into him at full speed, sending both of us away from the Crab Frame's charge. “Whew,” comes his grateful voice. “Thanks for the save.”

“If you have time to thank people, get back into the fight, Ensign Jean!” snaps Naim. As Jean apologizes profusely, I notice the bubbles on the crab's back detaching and floating off. With a shudder, the thrusters on their backs come to life as small pincer legs unfold from their round bodies. “Baby crabs?” asks Yua. “Perhaps we should name this frame the Mother Crab.” They begin moving around the battlefield, darting towards us. The next thing they do is to fire beams at us. I push Jean away as two beams cut through where we were. He brings up his machine-gun and fires at the little spheres, but they zip about nimbly, evading his bullets. It's like attempting to hit a fly... if flies had guns that could blow big holes in you.

“Use the frame's auto-targeting!” Naim yells frantically as he evades another two of the drones' shots by just a hair's width. He locks on to one of them, his rifle trying to track their seemingly erratic movement. He can't manage to keep his aim steady on them for long enough, and he abandons that idea, opting to just concentrate on evasion. Thankfully, whoever or whatever's controlling these little things doesn't seem to be very good at aiming – they shear off pieces of his frame's limbs, but no major damage is done.

“These things are moving according to a pattern, Master.” Yua speaks up. “I think I can link it to the auto-targeting system.”

“Do it quickly, and send the data over to the others.” Two bubbles attacking Naim, two following Jean, and another two are coming after me. I've observed the presence of several movement patterns myself, but it's hard to actually predict which pattern they're going to pick in the thick of battle. I try to take down the drones after me, but the Crab Frame is on my tail, forcing me to cancel any attacks as I weave in between the beams of the babies and mother crab. There's no opening to attack; if I try anything I'll probably get cut into pieces. Luckily there's only two bubbles attacking me – trying to avoid all six and Crab Frame would be a nightmare. As soon as Yua completes the uplink, Naim manages to take down one of the baby crabs. Three seconds later Jean destroys another. That seems to trigger a response in the mother crab – a wave of diffuse particles bursts forth from emitters on the frame. It begins messing with the radar – the lock on the bubbles vanish.

“The auto-targeting system can't get a lock anymore... fuuuuu---” Jean starts shouting again as his shots miss the other bubble. “It's impossible to do this with just a visual lock!”

If that's the case... Well, this is why I've been saving my trump card. I activate my ability.

Instantly, the trajectories of the bubbles become clear to me, along with the patterns they are using. They also stop right before firing. If I move to the right, one of them should fire right about... now. My own beam hits it before it can shoot, right as it comes to a halt. The baby crab explodes. At the same time, I move towards the mother crab, its other baby following right behind me. I change the angle of my direction at the last minute, just as the drone fires. The beam misses me and goes through the enemy frame.

“Aha.” It looks the the barrier is gone; that jamming wave must have had something to do with this. I dispatch the drone with a quick shot and head straight for the Crab Frame. It brings back the other two bubbles harassing Naim and Jean to converge on me. That's not going to stop me. Closing in on the Crab Frame, I weave my way through the intricate net of beams from the claw-guns and the baby crabs. I just need to mess up once to get cut into ribbons by those particle beams. Before that happens, I'll have to take the crab down.

I can feel the heat of life inside the Crab Frame; there are two of them. It's not agile enough to dodge my aim – bringing the barrier down was a mistake. In a lucky coincidence, the armor protecting the cockpit had been purged earlier when they dropped Jean. As it tries desperately to escape, I fire two shots going through the cockpit, snuffing out their flames. The drones seem to lose their way immediately, tumbling off into space.

“Aw fuck yeah Senya!” screams Jean in joy. “That was beautiful!”

“Good job, Ensign.” replies Naim grudgingly.

That's it, I suppose. Another successful mission. Before I can rejoice, the captain begins hailing all of us.

“The mission is successful. It is time to withdraw.”

“Wait,” I ask, “what about salvaging the Crab Frame?”

“Negative, Ensign. Destroy the enemy prototype. We're going to have to fight our way out of here; we can't afford any time to bring that thing with us. We've been spotted.”

“You mean...”

“An Indus carrier is approaching us from behind.”

Right on cue, a transmission from the enemy appears on all channels.

“This is the Mehrgarh of the Indus Confederation. We have been attempting to track your ship since you left Neo Heliopolis. We request that all combatants from the Neo Shinar Empire and Higashi lay down their arms. You will be taken into custody by Major Rei Wakayama.”

“Major... Rei Wakayama?” whispers Jean. “Oh boy, are we fucked or what?

“Who's that? It's a Higashi name, so why is this Major on the Indus's side?” I ask.

“No idea,” comes the reply, “but that's the Scarlet Lightning.”

“That sounds familiar...” I've heard the nickname somewhere, while reading some reports about the war. It strikes me all of a sudden. “You mean, that Scarlet Lightning?” That's the nickname of the top ace of the Indus Confederation, having a confirmed kill of over fifty fighters and six warships in just a few months. Rumours say that the Scarlet Lightning is untouchable in battle, piloting a blood-red combat frame that moves three times faster than any other frame. Some pilots on both sides have attempted to paint their machines red in imitation, but apparently red ones don't always go faster...

The captain cuts in to our conversation. “Get back now. I don't plan to surrender, so Senya will cover our retreat. Once the Kaguya-hime, Kalai and Sarmatia begin moving, Naim and Jean are to provide fire support while Senya intercepts the enemy frames. We'll slow down the carrier by laying down covering fire – the Vizala II frames will not be able to stray far from it. Senya, fight defensively and keep within range of our fire support. No matter what you do, do not engage the red one.”

The Crab Frame is still floating there in dead stillness. Is the captain going to let go of something as valuable as this just to flee a single carrier?

A. We have three warships to their single carrier. Even if they have ten frames to our three, we have the advantage in firepower. I'll take the offense to them regardless of what the captain says – I'm confident that we can wipe them out, reducing the number of our pursuers and successfully salvaging the Crab Frame. Even if the Scarlet Lightning is fast, I'm sure Anhur is faster.

B. I listen to the orders and fight as the plan demands. If the captain thinks it's wiser to abandon the salvage, I'll defer to his decision. After all, I'm not eager to be a hero, am I? The priority is, as always, the Kaguya-hime's safety. By destroying the prototype we will also have prevented the enemy from deploying it, so it is not a total waste.

I should still have 7 minutes of active time for my ability.

1. Use the drug now, to prolong my active time. I should be able to get ten more minutes out of it.
2. Don't use the drug. Whatever I choose to do, it shouldn't take long.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Damn. I'd really want that prototype, but it seems the wise choice would be to trash it. On the other hand, having experienced pilots in that crab thingie would be really horrific.
Will mull it over, wait for argumentation.

m4davis

Scholar
B
1 I dont think 7 minutes is quite enough time and if we dont use I believe we will run out of time and be hit with the aftereffects of our ability and I think that will get us killed

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tentatively voting A1 for the moment. Will give this more consideration later.

B1, if that's not winning, A1

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A seem to depend on the fact that Anhur is faster than the Scarlet Lightning, which may not be the case. Capturing the Mother Crab would be a huge leap in technology but going against captain's orders? Not a good plan.

B2. Might flop to 1 though.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
50 fighters, 6 warships. Any confirmed CF kills or does this ace only pick on fighters? We already know those to be inferior when it comes to maneuverability, and Senya's already taken down 5 CFs and 2 warships, singlehandedly, in a single sortie... :smug:

[EDIT] And that was while not using his power. :roll:

Baltika9

Arcane
A1. We need to score some kind of victory here for the gutter press back home, otherwise the Empress will make life ugly for us. We shouldn't have traded investigating the cult to come here, piss off the Empress and pussy out at the last minute, but oh well, too late now. Might as well make the best of a bad situation.

As for this Scarlet Lightning guy, we have finally found our twin who is the direct opposite of us, the Dante to our Vergil. What were the odds?:smug:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
50 fighters, 6 warships. Any confirmed CF kills or does this ace only pick on fighters? We already know those to be inferior when it comes to maneuverability, and Senya's already taken down 5 CFs and 2 warships, singlehandedly, in a single sortie... :smug:

[EDIT] And that was while not using his power. :roll:

To be fair, the enemies weren't fielding any frames before this and to count a construction mech as a kill is sad. You could say part of why you're doing so well so far is because no one has real experience in frame to frame combat. Everyone's mostly winging it.

The two cruisers weren't counted as a kill because they surrendered before you could carve your way in. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
The two cruisers weren't counted as a kill because they surrendered before you could carve your way in. :lol:
Feh, everyone's a critic.:roll:
If we do engage this Scarlet Lightning guy, I think Senya should try and find out whether or not he is, ah, similar to us. "Do you have tentacles?"

Off-topic: why did Sek and Edem stick around with Ean and help him out? Much as I love the idea of (b)romance between them, those two don't seem the altruistic types. Where they benefiting in some way by their cooperation with Ean, up to something funky in the background maybe?

Edit: I know Sek was initially treating her contact Ean as a business associate, but what made her stick around with him? Much as I like to entertain the idea that at least someone genuinely cared for the guy (maybe even loved him as a person, not a God Emperor/tool/bodyguard crush), that just didn't seem to be the case, more like she was trying to hitch an easy ride off the planet.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By being on his side it means they weren't not on his side. Things usually end messily for those not on his side, one way or another.

More information about the battlefield: the Crab Frame's particles are jamming a pretty wide area. The respective ships aren't in it yet, but the captain plans to flee through it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can't rip off the armor and the drones are either destroyed or missing. Would be hard to find the missing ones in space especially under no radar conditions.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A1 - We came here for those upgrade points and by golly we'll get them!

Edit: Also, chances are that, as a Higashi, yes, this guy is our equal and opposite. He may have tentacles and everything. The drug may help us outclass him. Hopefully. Unless he's a member of the cult. Which would explain why he's fighting with the Indus. Even then we have more XP than he does. Well, for fighting CFs at least. Hopefully this guy can't outclass our abilities or we're dead.

edit2: I also think that B2 is very risky. It'll take a few minutes to flee and we know Naim will leave us behind if we pass out. Also, the Captain plans to flee through the field. That means that our CFs won't have targeting - but the Scarlet Lightning probably doesn't need it if he has abilities similar to ours. Meaning our Visala 2s could end up toast. Then there's the fact that running means we'll have bad guys hot on our tail.

Need more time to think...

Bloodshifter

Educated
A1 We are not attempting to be a hero here we are Greedy it is what drives us what has always driven us and what will let us become Masters of our own Fate no one shall tell us what to do.

Battle Plan:
  1. Get our "back up" to tow the Space Crab Mother back to the Carrier they are to continue the Retreat as per Plan. Grab a another Rifle from one of our Companions.
  2. We are to Engage Enemy and cripple the Carrier this is Objective #1 if we can Blowing it up is preferred (Via Engine Shots) if we can't cause it to Celebrate Ean Day then we are to take out its Drives/Engines and take out its Bridge.
  3. Once the Carrier is Blown proceed to Engage any CFs that escaped avoid all confrontations with Scarlet unless a clear speed advantage is in our Favor if we don't kill his/her Friends.
  4. If for whatever reason the Ships have not escaped by the time we Reached 4 minutes till shut down and Scarlet is still pestering us (but is faster then us) and we have not wasted all our Ammo in Beam Rifles take her into Interference Field and shoot her down. Yea Yua! Go Girl...
  5. If we did waste all Ammo for Rifles Engage her in Close Combat (In Field) with Stooge #2 (the one we didn't take the Gun from) attempt 1 (and I can't stress this enough) shot at her from a Blind Spot she either Dodges and we kill him/her or she bites it.
  6. Should the above fail well we dead no matter what so Press Big Red Button of Self Destruct and attempt to take Scarlet with us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Don't expect any help towing the thing. Naim and Jean are trained soldiers that will follow their orders, and so are the crew of the ships. Pushing that thing would take up valuable time that would be better spent getting back to cover the warships. They might decide to join in if you turn the tide single-handedly, but before that they'll be focused on retreating rather than supporting you even if you dive deep into enemy lines. You're banking on the captain changing his mind once you show your heroism by destroying the enemy's ace in particular, making him think it's viable to fight instead of fleeing. It seems that the Scarlet Lightning is the one the captain fears, as you can outperform mundane Vizala IIs any day.

Baltika9

Arcane
Having mulled it over, flopping to B2.
On the basis that A is the sort of thing I would expect from an impulsive, insubordinate cunt with a superiority complex, who thinks he can get off telling his COs to go fuck themselves, after being courteously warned, twice and cannot into tactical analysis.

Currently we are being engaged by an Indus carrier (which is still possibly equipped with nukes, I would like a confirm on that) and a first-class ace with more experience flying and fighting than us, supported by nine other Vizala IIs, who are more likely than not experienced fighters.. All we have are an Anhur, two Vizala IIs and three battleships with some fighters in between them (which this guy eats for breakfast); hauling a broken-down mech to the ship, against direct orders from our direct commanding officer and the Crown Princess of the Empire on board said ship, sounds like a dumb idea to me.
For one, we'll lose all the respect we accrued with Grimrock, it is very possible he will either court-marshal or straight-up kick us out, the military doesn't put up with this shit and willingly losing our only friend in the military "just because I know better! Really!" sounds dumb as shit to me
“On the field, results are all that matter, but remember that even the most experienced soldier may be mistaken if he does not have all the information that his commanding officer knows.” He stops. I can tell that he's waiting for a rebuttal, and I give it to him. “Knowing something doesn't make you automatically the best person to interpret it. The commanding officer may get his orders wrong.”

Again, the captain nods. “Therefore, you have to reconcile the orders you are given with your gut instinct. You were probably right to get into the prototype. It worked out well both for you and the machine. But once inside, you disobeyed orders to not engage in combat. That's a mistake, son. There's people at command who know more telling you explicitly not to do something, though it might have sounded stupid to you at the moment. You should have found a way to avoid battle until you could get a better idea about what is going on. You could've done that, couldn't you?”

I nod. I probably could have, with Anhur's high mobility.

“Well, you lucked out, that's all I'm gonna say. Lesson over, kid.” All of a sudden, he swings another fist at me. I'm taken totally by surprise. For the second time, I'm knocked down to the floor. “Make sure you remember that. Now everyone get back to work!” shouts the captain.
To misquote an old joke, "what do you tell a dumbass with two black eyes? Nothing, he was already told twice."
Second, we'll lose Nahim's respect by being a dumbass again, considering that he is a rather good pilot and may be turned into something resembling a teammate with some work (Kyrie's affections won't be an obstacle anymore, that ship has sailed for now)
And third, that little transponder the Empress gave to Kyrie will likely get put to use if the ship comes under direct assault, outing her, which will bring a shit-ton of heat on us on the way home and the playa Dante Wakayama will try to play "prisoner of war" with her.
I'm conserving our elixir for another time because this isn't the alst we've seen of Wakayama or the Indus carrier on this outing. Chances are, they will signal for backup, so we will need as much of an edge as possible for the final engagement.

So, in short, taking the tactically audacious option in the last update was the proper Napoleon/Frederick/Alexander choice. Here, it's simply stupid and pointless, something an impulsive fool with self-esteem issues would do, and considering the pilot may also press the self-destruct button, well...
The Crab Frame is still floating there in dead stillness. Is the captain going to let go of something as valuable as this just to flee a single carrier?
Besides, I don't want anyone deploying this abomination on the battlefield. Giant crab robots, seriously?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom