Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Bloodshifter

Educated
Lambchop don't forget our cute nickname the 10second man luckily our man Senya comes pre-popped eheh?

Baltika9

Arcane
Given that treave revealed that we'd be painting a big fat target on ourselves, if we succeed, I really am not seeing the advantage here. So the only real motive toward picking it is that it sounds cool if we succeed. Just like jumping into the portal did...
Dude... this will make us famous and get us closer to Kyrie, cement both our foundations in power and give us a shot at becoming the Emperor in the future.
Escaping the colony was our Toulon. This can be our Bridge of Arcole.

And before anyone gets onto me for referencing that poor Corsican too much, well, what do you expect? The guy was a rebel from Corsica and used the military to build up enough clout and rep to become the goddamn emperor of the sotrngest country in Europe.
Jump into a portal filled with enemies vs jump into a combat zone filled with enemies. Forgetting what we know about the portal after actually jumping into it, it's a somewhat similar situation. I guess the biggest differences are that we know the environment, the enemy's relative strength and numbers, and in this situation we know there's at least a chance of success and, oh yeah, and we're not immortal
It's actually: jumping in alone into a portal we know absolutely nothing about versus going into a combat engagement with three battleships and three top-of-the line CFs on our side and utilizing our element of surprise and the flower drugs we have.
and we're not immortal...or are we?
Only one way to find out.M:

C'mon LC, we can doo eet. Even Senya thinks we can do it, you're just dramatizing.

Kipeci

Arcane
Even Senya thinks we can do it, you're just dramatizing.
Senya is a genius who doesn't realize that the Codex controls every other move he makes.
Remember how Dio became infinitely more competent starting the moment that we were not controlling him? You have an awful lot of faith in our ability to not screw up for a prolonged period.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Even Senya thinks we can do it, you're just dramatizing.
Senya is a genius who doesn't realize that the Codex controls every other move he makes.
Remember how Dio became infinitely more competent starting the moment that we were not controlling him? You have an awful lot of faith in our ability to not screw up for a prolonged period.
This.

Smashing Axe's comparison to Blackadder was pretty dead on, though perhaps not in the way he meant it. While we were playing Dio, we always had him on the verge of doing something brilliant and then cocking it up with some stupid choice or another - eg, getting to close too the prince too fast lead to Dio being found out as a successor. (Blackadder was always screwing up like this. It was a comedy after all.) If not for blind luck and treave's creative bits of deus ex machina, Dio would be very dead. After we relinquished control he became a master strategist who deceived pretty much every major character still living - including Ean and Naram-Master. The only reason he was outmaneuvered in the end was because Ean ate the tree and was thus able to calm Sekhenun's mad hunger so that she'd help us instead of eating us. Otherwise his backstabbing sneakery could have easily resulted in his obtaining godhood. Codex Dio = Blackadder; Codex-Free Dio = Machiavellian badass.

My main problem with C is that while it has some great rewards in the form of admiration from the common man, it is not only itself a huge risk, but even if, and I stress, if we succeed, we will have painted a big target on ourselves, dramatically increasing the risk until we get back to earth (and possibly after as the Empress will hate us for putting Kyrie in such danger and our enemies will have our number so to speak).

Right now the enemy is looking for us and they have next to no idea of our path or location. They also probably know that Base 43 has been hit by a ISC strike force. Who and what exactly comprised that strike force is probably not known to them. We hit them so hard and so fast that I doubt they had time to report exactly what was going on before surrendering the frantic way that they did. If we attack on Live TV, the enemy will both immediately recognize us as the target they've been looking for and also be out for our blood due to the very public attack. They may even pull quite a few ships off the front line in order to double back and attack us. treave has said that this decision is winnable - if we can get it near perfect. He did not, however, say how bad the consequences would be or that the consequences of this decision would be avoidable or winnable.

Baltika9

Arcane
Right now the enemy is looking for us and they have next to no idea of our path or location. They also probably know that Base 43 has been hit by a ISC strike force. Who and what exactly comprised that strike force is probably not known to them. We hit them so hard and so fast that I doubt they had time to report exactly what was going on before surrendering the frantic way that they did. If we attack on Live TV, the enemy will both immediately recognize us as the target they've been looking for and also be out for our blood due to the very public attack. They may even pull quite a few ships off the front line in order to double back and attack us. treave has said that this decision is winnable - if we can get it near perfect. He did not, however, say how bad the consequences would be or that the consequences of this decision would be avoidable or winnable.
You're extrapolating (I know, I do the same): this is a hit-and-run. We go in, we smash them and we get the fuck to Earth. Remember, even if they do pull off ships to hunt us down, they won't be there for at least a day or so, giving us ample time to slip away. The enemy won't deploy a fleet in fifteen minutes, the technology for that simply does not exist and they won't be able to coordinate a response in fifteen-twenty minutes.
My main problem with C is that while it has some great rewards in the form of admiration from the common man, it is not only itself a huge risk, but even if, and I stress, if we succeed, we will have painted a big target on ourselves, dramatically increasing the risk until we get back to earth (and possibly after as the Empress will hate us for putting Kyrie in such danger and our enemies will have our number so to speak).
This is our chance at getting way ahead in terms of reputation, in terms of station and giving us a shot at directing this war for maximum effect (the Empress already showed us how she will run things: badly, if her decision to sit tight and wait for a nuke was anything to go by; and if she doesn't like us putting her daughter in danger, then boo-hoo, she can't touch us) and getting a shot at the throne. This is our chance at glory, chances like these come very rarely. Seize the day and all.
I suppose if you want to be the military's bitch-boy and be stuck in their laddered career path while our political enemies slowly estrange us from Kyrie, then slow and safe is the way to go. I just hope that when we're sent on a suicide mission or laying on an operating table under the curious gaze of NSI scientists, our sister or Shulgi will come and pull our ass out of the fire. Again.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We do have time till voting closes. Why not give a proposal about how you'd engage 23 Centeotls, 16 Vizalas, 18 Vizala IIs, 30 fighters, 25 armed mechs, 6 UNS cruisers, 2 Indus carriers and 1 UNS battleship in open space? Might help convince people that it's viable.

Yikes. That's a lot of firepower.

Yes, something a little more substantial than "Trust me, bros! We got this!" would be nice.

Actually, treave, Senya must have some sort of plan if he thinks he can win, right? Mind giving us some more hints? "Crash the party" doesn't exactly make it seem very viable itself.

Bloodshifter

Educated
*laughs* ohh wait Treave are you serious?...
*Laughs Harder* the only person I can see pulling something like a Plan is Storyfag(a supposed RTS player and good Planner) with GreyViper (unknown planning power) or Baltika9 (has thus far proven he can stop utter fuck ups) overall Planning usually falls to Esquilax, TOME, You(Treave), and Azira (he has good ideas just needed some help polishing them a few times) those who are for the moment not wanting to commit Eancide.

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright, I already thought of a plan.
But how about you help me out for a change, treave, and tell me why Senya thinks he stands a chance? What opportunities and strategies does our genius see?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Note: I do not approve of this plan!

The plan would probably hinge on destroying the Vizala IIs in a blinding alpha strike. Those are the ones most dangerous, though the centeotls aren't exactly pushovers. With the Anhur's superiour maneoverability, dodging fire from the cruisers, carriers and the battleship shouldn't really be an issue. The fighters and armed mechs are the supposed Higashi/ICS forces, right? We can probably assume they're mostly loaded up with dummy rounds.
With Senya fired up on drugs, it'd all hinge on blazing in, ripping shit to pieces, then getting the hell out of dodge before our ten minutes are up. Keeping track of time should be a non-issue, we know Senya's good at that.

If enough of the enemy forces are destroyed/rendered incapable of combat, making a dashing retreat should be simple.

Remember, if we do attack those forces, it's not to destroy all of them. Just to fuck their shit up sufficiently that the UNS/Indus alliance are left looking like idiots.

Senya's abilities gives him unparallelled spacial acuity, to the point of clairvoyance. We know from his using the powers in the first spacial sortie that he could pick up lifesigns around him, and that was unaided by the drugs.
Dodging and selecting targets while hopped up on flower juice ought to be simple. Get in, fuck shit up, hopefully blowing up the battleship while we're at it (use Senya as a forward spotter, have our three cruisers fire at extreme range, hopefully so long range that they're not visible to the enemy themselves (actually, a mechanics question here treave: when Yua's assisting Senya on his sorties, is her core still on board the cruiser, or is it with Senya? If it's still on the cruiser, having her patch the data/location of targets (the big ships; the CFs/fighters are too agile for that shit) through to the other cruisers should be simple. Senya can paint some pretty targets, and any shots fired ought to travel true, straight to the power generators, if we have intel on where they are located and/or Senya can pick their location up when high on leaves)) and the thing's a wrap.

At least, that's how I'd spin it.

I still want to save the flower juice and hit the prototype though.

GreyViper

Prophet
The way I see it we could go with divide and conquer. The most optimal solution would be using Vizala IIs infiltrate the scene the turn two sides against each other causing them to attack each other. Meanwhile Senya goes after 6 UNS cruisers, 2 Indus carriers and 1 UNS battleship that should be able cope with his high mobility.

Turn the 2 sides against each other? Just because 2 morons on the team start using live rounds doesn't mean everyone will suddenly turn on each other if there isn't already major bad blood. More likely: they'd stop the exercise and try to find out who messed up and put real bullets in their guns.

No, I think the plan would probably revolve around Yua hacking the "ISC" side and having them attack the enemy for real, while we lead the mock ISC forces in the charge. err, scratch that last part. Best for us to attack the larger ships that "can't reliably target us at close range" once the fighters and mechs are busy fending off our new AI force. Our ships can provide long range support as Azira suggests. Then mop up the mechs & fighters (way easier said than done) after the larger ships are destroyed or heavily damaged. Still not sure if any of that would work. Beyond that, it's difficult to come up with a plan.

Here's why:

Our side:

Warships:

Kaguya-hime Class Cruiser (1)
Affiliation: ISC/Higashi
Manufacturer: ISC Heavy Industries/Great Eastern Manufacturing
Armaments:
1 x mega particle launcher, 2 x 2-barrel particle cannon, 2 x missile launchers, 8 x anti-fighter guns
CF complement: 9
Launch catapult: 3
Overall length: 312 m

Pimsin Class Cruiser (2 - the Empress took the other one.)
Affiliation: Neo Shinar Empire
Manufacturer: ISC Heavy Industries
Armaments:
2 x 2-barrel particle cannon, 2 x linear rail-gun, 6 x missile launchers, 4 x anti-fighter guns
Fighter complement: 6
Launch catapult: 1
Overall length: 378 m

Combat frames:

XF-25 Anhur (1)
Affiliation: ISC/Higashi
Manufacturer: ISC Heavy Industries/Great Eastern Manufacturing
Frame type: High performance general purpose prototype
Reactor: Compact fusion reactor - 4000 kW
Propulsion:
main thrusters: 6 x 240,000 N (high mobility configuration)
verniers/apogee motors: 18
Armaments:
2 x mono-molecular daggers, 2 x head-mounted 35 mm vulcans, 1 x beam saber, 1 x beam rifle, 1 x 280mm rocket launcher, 1 x shield, mounted on left arm.
Overall height: 15.3 m

RG-09 Vizala II (2)
Affiliation: Indus
Manufacturer: Vizharga Industries
Frame type: Space superiority combat frame
Reactor: Compact fusion reactor - 2750 kW
Propulsion:
main thrusters: 2 x 240,000 N
verniers/apogee motors: 8
Armaments:
1 x mono-molecular sword, 1 x 75 mm machine-gun, 1 x rocket-lance, 1 x 280 mm rocket launcher, 1 x beam rifle, 1 x shield, mounted on left arm.
Overall height: 14.0 m

That's it for our forces. Let's look at the enemy's:

Doge Class Cruiser (6)
Affiliation: UNS
Manufacturer: ISC Heavy Industries
Armaments:
2 x 2-barrel particle cannon, 2 x linear rail-gun, 2 x missile launchers, 6 x anti-fighter guns
CF complement: 5
Launch catapult: 1
Overall length: 350 m

Gynoid Class Battleship (1)
Manufacturer: United Industries
Armaments:
1 x mega particle launcher, 4 x 2-barrel particle cannon, 4 x linear rail-gun, 6 x missile launchers, 10 x anti-fighter guns
CF complement: 10
Launch catapult: 2
Overall length: 669 m

Mahakarya Class Carrier (2)
Armaments:
1 x 2-barrel particle cannon, 6 x missile launchers, 12 x anti-fighter guns
CF complement: 10
Launch catapult: 2
Overall length: 411 m

Combat frames:

RG-05 Vizala (16)
Frame type: General purpose combat frame
Reactor: Compact fusion reactor - 1380 kW
Propulsion:
main thrusters: 1 x 180,000 N
verniers/apogee motors: 4
Armaments:
1 x mono-molecular sword, 1 x 60 mm machine-gun, 1 x shield, mounted on left arm.
Overall height: 10.6 m

RG-09 Vizala II (18)
Reactor: Compact fusion reactor - 2750 kW
Propulsion:
main thrusters: 2 x 240,000 N
verniers/apogee motors: 8
Armaments:
1 x mono-molecular sword, 1 x 75 mm machine-gun, 1 x rocket-lance, 1 x 280 mm rocket launcher, 1 x beam rifle, 1 x shield, mounted on left arm.
Overall height: 14.0 m

UNS-1001 Xolotl (25 - I'm assuming these were what treave meant by "armed mechs" as they are the only ones not listed.)
Frame type: Land specialization combat frame
Reactor: Compact fusion reactor - 1550 kW
Propulsion:
main thrusters: 2 x 140,000 N
verniers/apogee motors: 4
Armaments:
1 x mono-molecular sword, 2 x 60 mm machine-gun, 1 x back-mounted 280 mm rocket launcher.
Overall height: 13.0 m

UNS-1011 Centeotl (23)
Reactor: Compact fusion reactor - 2190 kW
Propulsion:
main thrusters: 2 x 140,000 N, 2 x 80,000 N
verniers/apogee motors: 6
Armaments:
1 x mono-molecular sword, 2 x 60 mm machine-gun, 1 x 280 mm rocket launcher.
Overall height: 13.6 m

Plus 30 fighters. (Don't have stats on them.)

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines of what Azira wrote. Let's also consider this
Re: Gatecrashing the live maneuver exercise

As with the other paths, there'll be more choices on how you approach the mission and how visible you make yourself. There will be a mix of Indus and UNS mechs, as well as a mock Higashi/ISC force consisting of construction mechs and fighters. They might also showcase new models that have passed the prototype stage and will be entering production soon. It is not as suicidal as it sounds; most of the mechs participating in the exercise are using dummy solid ammunition to prevent unwanted accidents. Once you make your appearance, though, expect a switch to live ammo quickly and the beams to start coming out.
This means that we have the first few minutes to wreak as much havoc as possible without fear of being shot down. As I see it, the Vizala IIs are the biggest threat and the biggest priority, hence we need to focus our fire and bring out the big guns in the first few moments on them and neutralize the biggest advantage those fuckers have on us: technology.

After that we should be able to capitalize on the chaos and start blasting away at their cruisers, since those are the second biggest threat, taking out the lesser CFs as we go.
All of this relies on capitalizing on our element of surprise, although coordinating the fleet's fire from the battlefield sounds good too.

And in addition to all the other perks pulling this off will net us, think of the +XP Senya will get, we'll be powerleveled for the whole war. Really, this is one of those risks that need to be taken, we already know that it is doable; all we need to do is concentrate. Judging by how seriously we're taking the whole approach to strategy already, I'm pretty sure we can pull it off.

This means that we have the first few minutes to wreak as much havoc as possible without fear of being shot down.
Uh, minutes? Why do you think it will take that long for them to switch out? What if all they have to do is swap a clip or press a button or something? Not to mention the monomolecular weaponry - do they have practice swords too?
As I see it, the Vizala IIs are the biggest threat and the biggest priority, hence we need to focus our fire and bring out the big guns in the first few moments on them and neutralize the biggest advantage those fuckers have on us: technology.
Uh, huh. All by ourselves? It took Senya a bit of time to take down just a handful of old mechs in the last update. You really think he'll be fast enough to kill 18 top of the line mechs and be dodging incoming attacks from other mechs (even if it's just swords or grappling) all in the span of a few minutes (if that's even how long it'd take for them to switch out)?
After that we should be able to capitalize on the chaos and start blasting away at their cruisers, since those are the second biggest threat, taking out the lesser CFs as we go.
All of this relies on capitalizing on our element of surprise, although coordinating the fleet's fire from the battlefield sounds good too.
Those cruisers are a bigger threat than you think. The warships in the last update could have fired on us from long range, but didn't - instead relying on their mechs. Senya criticized them for this as he was crippling them at close range where they couldn't target properly. If they can hit us from long range using beam weapons, we're dead.
And in addition to all the other perks pulling this off will net us, think of the +XP Senya will get, we'll be powerleveled for the whole war. Really, this is one of those risks that need to be taken, we already know that it is doable; all we need to do is concentrate. Judging by how seriously we're taking the whole approach to strategy already, I'm pretty sure we can pull it off.
Yeah? Well, I've already pointed out several errors in the approaches mentioned so far. (I'm quite surprised no one else brought up having Yua hack the mock ISC force, btw.)

Taking it seriously doesn't insure victory. Making all the correct choices does. We've got some good ideas, but they're all based on uncertainties and assumptions and that's not good enough.

Again, look at the stats I listed. Around 75 mechs and 30 fighters. That's a lot of firepower to be dodging. Plus the 70 anti-fighter guns, 30 missile launchers, and 19 particle cannons on the capital ships. The stakes are too high for this sort of gamble, especially when you consider that our "prize" would include being made a bigger fatter target for the combined enemy forces from here to earth, according to treave.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Azira actually has the main idea right: don't get stuck in. Yua's core is onboard the cruiser, and yes, coordinating fire support is possible. Anhur is why Senya thinks he can pull it off. Not just because of agility, but because of the high acceleration. That's all the hints you'll get for a choice that we might not be taking, but at least you guys are on the right track. But I still see a couple of parts that will end up badly if I give you guys the choice to pick it.

Military hardware here is a bit tough to hack, we only did it quickly because we wrote part of Anhur's OS. You could have Yua study the captured Vizalas to figure out a way, but that takes time.

Baltika9

Arcane
This means that we have the first few minutes to wreak as much havoc as possible without fear of being shot down.
Uh, minutes? Why do you think it will take that long for them to switch out? What if all they have to do is swap a clip or press a button or something? Not to mention the monomolecular weaponry - do they have practice swords too?
It will take them a while to get their bearings when we hit. They are expecting nothing, they may even think it's part of the exercise at first.
Uh, huh. All by ourselves? It took Senya a bit of time to take down just a handful of old mechs in the last update. You really think he'll be fast enough to kill 18 top of the line mechs and be dodging incoming attacks from other mechs (even if it's just swords or grappling) all in the span of a few minutes (if that's even how long it'd take for them to switch out)?
We have two stolen and re-purposed Vizala II's that will be accompanying us and three battleships. if we play to our element of surprise, a few minutes is all we need.
Those cruisers are a bigger threat than you think. The warships in the last update could have fired on us from long range, but didn't - instead relying on their mechs. Senya criticized them for this as he was crippling them at close range where they couldn't target properly. If they can hit us from long range using beam weapons, we're dead.
Our mobility and the element of surprise, coupled with the fact that we'll be zigzagging between enemy mechs, will make us a very difficult target for them. We might even cause friendly fire casualties with our fine motor control and focus. Besides which, the captains may think it's all part of the exercise.
Again, look at the stats I listed. Around 75 mechs and 30 fighters. That's a lot of firepower to be dodging. Plus the 70 anti-fighter guns, 30 missile launchers, and 19 particle cannons on the capital ships. The stakes are too high for this sort of gamble, especially when you consider that our "prize" would include being made a bigger fatter target for the combined enemy forces from here to earth, according to treave.
Where are you getting this? Because as a I understood it, these are all the forces the enemy has in the are. We take them out, they won't have anything within a day's reach from us. That give us plenty of time to escape back to Earth. Painting a big fat target on ourself? Yes it will, like it did on Napoleon, Alexander and Caesar. Incidentally, those were the guys that shook the foundations of the world.
Yeah? Well, I've already pointed out several errors in the approaches mentioned so far. (I'm quite surprised no one else brought up having Yua hack the mock ISC force, btw.)

Taking it seriously doesn't insure victory. Making all the correct choices does. We've got some good ideas, but they're all based on uncertainties and assumptions and that's not good enough.
And that's what will help us achieve the optimal result. We have a chance to strike it big, bro. Let's go for it, and all the princess booty we want will be ours.;)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're still in the vicinity of Sun L4, by the way. Earth is still quite some way to go. But yes, zig-zagging is important if you don't want the enemy to blow you to bits.

I think you're all forgetting something extremely important.

This is Anime, by Treave's own admission.

We are a teenage mech pilot in way over our heads attacking a force that outnumbers us greatly.

Thus, we cannot fail.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not if it's to set up a dramatic comeback later on after having lost everything you ever cared about. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Here's another thing you're failing to consider: once we do 2A or 2B, this flotilla will most likely be redirected to search for us. I'm sure sneaking past them once they are fully alert won't be a breeze.

Esquilax

Arcane
Here's another thing you're failing to consider: once we do 2A or 2B, this flotilla will most likely be redirected to search for us. I'm sure sneaking past them once they are fully alert won't be a breeze.

This is my problem with the whole plan here: I believe that we can pull this off and take out possibly all of their Vizala II's and come out of this in one piece. It's the aftermath that bothers me - we are going to need to use our last dose of steroids for the mission should we vote for 2C, so how are we supposed to evade both the Dunamis and the Indus/ISC fleet if we come out victorious? Seems like a setup for a Pyrrhic victory, at best here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom