Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A convincing argument, Brotika. (to one such as me, anyway)

Ean was, however, an immortal...and that still didn't stop us from killing him with dumb ass choices.

Baltika9

Arcane
A convincing argument , Brotika. (to one such as me, anyway)

Ean was, however, an immortal...and that still didn't stop us from killing him with dumb ass choices.
Are you suggesting that this new protagonist cannot live up to Ean's name and deeds? That the future Emperor of Man (or Phoenix King, we'll see how it goes) cannot into success? Blasphemy, say I! Blasphemy!
yeah, well, Senya took on rather heavy wounds that someone of his constitution, by all means, shouldn't have survived. Furthermore, who says he's dead, where was this confirmed? The last we've seen of him was this
Sigh… it seems that you excel in exasperating me, as always. Luckily, I am a genius.

“You are?”

Let me show you why…

It might have just been an illusion of your dying body, but you feel her take your hand, and you know then that everything is going to be alright.

You scatter in the wind, letting it take you wherever it would.
It could go both ways. For all we know, he may be having a 24/7 orgy with Sek even as we speak, waiting for Senya's balls to drop and score with one of his progeny so that he has a suitable body to return to. It's a good thing Senya is about to do that- oh wait.

Bro, trust me. We got this.

Ok, so we don't know 100% that Ean died. Well, we gave him 4,300 years of time skips then. Pretty bad score, game-wise, either way.

What makes you so sure we can pick the optimal choice, eh? I mean, when have we ever? Sure we lucked into getting Dio in good with Shulgi, and then later with Ban and the sword, but 9 times out of ten we screwed the pooch big time (see loosing an eye and the rift in time/space, et al). How many times has treave had to deus ex machina our way out of eternal death now anyway?

edit: i'm not saying we always screw up, but I am saying we shouldn't bet the farm on perfection when we don't have a good record concerning it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've a question for you, treave: I can't quite understand what picking the "fire" path for Senya would've given us, besides autonomous tentacles and making us a melee-rape machine? What abilities would Shulgi have taught us and how would our operating a CF differ from our current style?
Because it seems now that the "ice" path was the superior of the two choices.

Those charged particles you use for beams? You can amplify their energy and if you have the beam barrier, gather all those particles for use with your rifle or saber. Fuckhuge beams. The method is similar to telekinesis. Not to mention your superhuman strength multiplies strength of the mech's carbon nanotube musculature, making it even stronger, faster and durable in close combat. You would use an unprecedented full body slave system where the mech mimics your every move exactly.

Shulgi would've taught you how to move in such a way that physics doesn't seem to affect you.

Baltika9

Arcane
Don't worry, bro. We have a secret weapon that no one expects us to use.
Tell me, do you remember the eldrtich horse whose head is that of a rabbit and it's body also of a rabbit? Do you remember Esquilax?
Ahem, on a more serious note: this will also secure our public position against the Empress, an issue no one is paying any attention to. The outcome of making a low-key technology raid is that not many outside the military will hear of it, hence we will not become a public figure and hence the Empress can (and most likely will) move against us. Commoner diddling ger daughter and not paying attention to her, and all. Political enemy as well.

We already went balls-to-the wall when we decided to go deeper into the enemy's tender nether reaches, pulling out in panic now will yield less-than-optimal results.

Edit:
Shulgi would've taught you how to move in such a way that physics doesn't seem to affect you.
You mean fly?
:rpgcodex:
Tell me again how not picking that was a good idea.

We already went balls-to-the wall when we decided to go deeper into the enemy's tender nether reaches, pulling out in panic now will yield less-than-optimal results.
Yeah, thought of that. That question is: can we pull it off? My money's on 'no' right now. treave, what are Senya's estimations of his own chances in C?
Edit:
You mean fly?
:rpgcodex:
Tell me again how not picking that was a good idea.
*sigh* treave, it's times like these that I want to remove your brain and hook it up to a computer so we can reload this bitch and play the ultimate CRPG evah.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Something that looks like flying, I guess. Or totally ignoring the law of conservation of energy. It's the path to total hotblooded full weeaboo anime hero though. Down that road lies Super Robots. His estimation of his own chances... he's fairly certain if he plays his cards right, with the right goals in mind, there'll be minimal risk.

Kipeci

Arcane
While we do get a nifty morale blow and massive personal prestige on the very unlikely chance we don't screw up with C, what do we get with A? Well, provided it succeeds, we close our technology gap with what our foes already have and delay them from implementing their own upgrades. From their, our generally superior scientists can take over and make sure that we're on the bleeding edge instead of playing catch-up.

The thing about going with C is that we really, really don't do that much in terms of actual damage to their war-effort even if we do manage to succeed. We blow up some of their frames, but their economy is totally unharmed and production goes on-- if anything, it gets ramped up higher, considering how we might act as a motivator to get cracking on cranking out more and better models. They get to implement whatever benefits are on the next generation while our scientists are still trying to keep up to date with what's already on the field. Finally, they're wanting to wipe us off the face of the Earth and know our location, and we're right in the middle of enemy territory with gobs of enemy ships around.

Remember, while Ean might be one to go with C and scrape by, our character is not Ean. We are not a gloryhound, we are pragmatic. That doesn't mean being a coward; it does mean having reasonable goals that we can expect to achieve with tangible results. I don't feel that C really fits with Senya at all. Betting everything on what is basically a victory solely in morale that can only happen if the Codex doesn't screw up in any way does not go with our character.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There are some strategic arguments to be made in favour of option C besides its effect on morale, if successful. It all involves the advantage of painting a big fat target on yourself. :lol:

:lol: True, we'd distract the enemy with the task of hunting us down while our forces push forward, right? Good for our troops. Bad for us. It'd be pretty epic, though. Very Ean. haha

Baltika9

Arcane
There are some strategic arguments to be made in favour of option C besides its effect on morale, if successful. It all involves the advantage of painting a big fat target on yourself. :lol:
And besides that, what other strategic advantages can Senya discern from C?

Also, no one is addressing the issue of the Empress considering usto be her enemy and a "parasite" on her daughter now.

Kipeci

Arcane
The Empress is not going to like us either way, that ship has already sailed. If anything, she'll like us even less if we go with C as that's the blatantly suicidal option.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She'll definitely be even more pissed if you put her daughter in harm's way again. You committing suicide is fine with her. She might even be at your funeral.

Well, Baltika's argument is that we'd be untouchable as "Senya, Hero of the People", so she couldn't act against us.

edit:
Even with Senya's estimations, I still think C is "jump into the rift" bad.

Baltika9

Arcane
The Empress is not going to like us either way, that ship has already sailed. If anything, she'll like us even less if we go with C as that's the blatantly suicidal option.
Exactly, she's already our enemy, and now we must make a move to bolster both our position so that we don't end up at her not-so-tender mercies (yeah, sadly the best outcome of the romance I see now is tentacle rape. Damn.:() or "donated" to the NSI scientists.

C makes us a public figure, Senya will become un-fucking-touchable. The enemy will feel terror when they see us and our team. We will be turning the tides of battles and winning the war. Senya will be featured on the covers of all TIMES and Forbes magazines and voted "sexiest man ever to live."

C will pay it's dividends, bros. Napoleon, Alexander and Caesar didn't become emperors by chickening out when they were already committed.
Doo eet, bros. We got this. We gangsta.

We aren't going to become Emprah overnight, bros.

Even Napoleon went from general to better general to consul.

He only declared himself EMPRAH afterwards.

Baltika9

Arcane
And Caesar began as the elected military protector of the Roman Republic for his victories and rep and only later became the Emperor through public clout and reforms. Are you seeing parallels here, bros?

This is our chance to strike true and big. Yes, it won't be easy, but when have we ever taken the easy way out, hm? Even Senya, for all his physical frailty, became someone who doesn't afraid of anything. If we focus for just one update, we'll do fine.

Trust me, guys. Better yet, trust in yourselves.
edit:
Yeah, this is exaggeration. Yes, it's risky, but nowhere near "jumping into a portal that spews devouring Tyranid expies like it has diarrhea" bad.

Bloodshifter

Educated
Let me just say this 3 frames + 3 ships vs. 50 frames + ??? Bots + ??? ships
Pros: Maybe a hit on Morale "omg did you see that that PROTOTYPE took out OLD Frames! Pfft didn't you see most of them were Bots and Firing Play Bullets the fricking coward didn't even have the HONOR of waiting till they took out the Big Guns." Either or here just because its live doesn't mean they can't control the Media.

Cons:Media Spin job, painted as pirates, POSSIBLE LOSS OF princess, and lastly a private bounty by the Queen for your pretty little tentacled head.

A?
Pros: Science!, Possible Ace Captured, Stopping Science!, and sticking to our quote "PRAMAGITIC" character.

Cons: Dud Science!, Super Ace Pilot in Super Mecha!, Mecha explodes Lost of Science!, Test Pilot(s) die, and oh hello Senya meet my now space abled Merc Group the White Fangs White Fangs and Fleet meet Meat.

For C to work we would need to strike the Enemy multiple times in similar odds which is immpossible doing it once is beyond stupid.

Bloodshifter

Educated
multiple deep strikes, you say
If you want to demoralize them yep you would have to repeat thint over and over again. 4 at least but with every time you will paint a bigger Fuck Me sign on yourself with both the ISC (Empress) and the Indus Confederacy. Butterfield can kill us if the Empress gives him 'The Look' or in this case 'the Message'. As to the 'other' connotations to that we are still the 10 Second man let's wait till Marriage to disappoint in bed shall we?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think C is the right choice, because as noted it will not only give us a better position against the Empress, but due to that, put us in a better position to influence the war effort through prestige and recognition in the future. Yes destroying the two-person mecha will delay the enemy some, but what does it do for us long-term? We already know the Empress and likely the rest of the Board of Directors are retarded as decisionmakers. The more of a position we're in to call the shots, the better the outcome will be.

A will not do that for us, we need popular support because the higher-ups just do not respect us. The common people are our route to power. Even if we succeed with A, we're still too easy to throw aside by them. Now, if we were liked by the higher ups, I'd be for A, as it aids the war effort more directly. Yet in our situation we can't follow the traditional route to power, we have to go outside, as Baltika is fond of mentioning, like Julius Caesar did. The greater our influence in the war effort, the smoother victory will be.

GreyViper

Prophet
The thing with C is that we will have the element of surprise and the superior mobility. What Im hoping for is that Yua can hack and remote pilot the other frames that are supposed to be mock enemy. then again we have 2 enemy mechs that we can use to do some backstabbing until IFF marks them as foes. At least we can take out some of their cap ships in confusion and the more mechs we destroy there, the less we will be facing later trip to Earth.

edit:
Yeah, this is exaggeration. Yes, it's risky, but nowhere near "jumping into a portal that spews devouring Tyranid expies like it has diarrhea" bad.
Jump into a portal filled with enemies vs jump into a combat zone filled with enemies. Forgetting what we know about the portal after actually jumping into it, it's a somewhat similar situation. I guess the biggest differences are that we know the environment, the enemy's relative strength and numbers, and in this situation we know there's at least a chance of success and, oh yeah, and we're not immortal...or are we?

Given that treave revealed that we'd be painting a big fat target on ourselves, if we succeed, I really am not seeing the advantage here. So the only real motive toward picking it is that it sounds cool if we succeed. Just like jumping into the portal did...
multiple simultaneous deep strikes, you say
If you want to demoralize them yep you would have to repeat thint over and over again.
Yes... That is generally true...
:mhd:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom