Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
That's my point, E. This excercise is the largest concentration of enemy troops in the area. If we don't go after them, they will most likely go after us. The Dunamis are good, yeah, but not "one hundred mechs" good.
Temerity will bite us in the ass here.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Baltika9 said:
Here's another thing you're failing to consider: once we do 2A or 2B, this flotilla will most likely be redirected to search for us. I'm sure sneaking past them once they are fully alert won't be a breeze.
Yes, but they won't know for sure who we are and don't have nearby forces tailing us. Given the amount of enemies and the fact that we'll be on live tv, I'd say they'd have both of these should we manage to succeed or at least survive.
Not if it's to set up a dramatic comeback later on after having lost everything you ever cared about. :lol:
True. This is a treave LP - you cannot in to having your cake and eating it too.
Here's another thing you're failing to consider: once we do 2A or 2B, this flotilla will most likely be redirected to search for us. I'm sure sneaking past them once they are fully alert won't be a breeze.

This is my problem with the whole plan here: I believe that we can pull this off and take out possibly all of their Vizala II's and come out of this in one piece. It's the aftermath that bothers me - we are going to need to use our last dose of steroids for the mission should we vote for 2C, so how are we supposed to evade both the Dunamis and the Indus/ISC fleet if we come out victorious? Seems like a setup for a Pyrrhic victory, at best here.
This.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Most of the battles in space are currently focused around controlling the Moon Lagrange Points, if that helps give you an idea of what to do. After the debacles in the early weeks of the war, both sides have signed a treaty to agree not to attack civilian colonies or conduct operations too close, where stray shots can end up killing millions. Neo Heliopolis's status as a research base in disguise has been leaked to justify the UNS attack.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that after we steal their prototype they will know where we are via distress signal.
I'm pretty sure they'll guard this one better after what happened with theit base.

Baltika9

Arcane
Most of the battles in space are currently focused around controlling the Moon Lagrange Points, if that helps give you an idea of what to do.
Let me see if I got this straight: right now, the nearest sizeable enemy force, beside the one that is participating in the training exercise, will be near Sun L4. Raiding the mining facility or the prototype test site can plausibly tip them off to our presence in a particular are and turn this whole operation into hide-and-seek.

However, if we strike and scatter the enemy when they are concentrated in one spot and are not expecting us to make an appearance, we can calmly make our way back to Earth if we maneuver around the Lagrange points and steer clear of Erika's group, correct?

Bloodshifter

Educated
Let me see if I got this straight: right now, the nearest sizeable enemy force, beside the one that is participating in the training exercise, will be near Sun L4. Raiding the mining facility or the prototype test site can plausibly tip them off to our presence in a particular are and turn this whole operation into hide-and-seek.

However, if we strike and scatter the enemy when they are concentrated in one spot and are not expecting us to make an appearance, we can calmly make our way back to Earth if we maneuver around the Lagrange points and steer clear of Erika's group, correct?
Your I slow child right? Its not Erika who is White Fangs its her Brother the crazy Psycho I Wanna Be King dude the one I told you guys that was going to make his play for power before we got Pussynapped?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That depends on how you handle the operation, but chances of returning to Earth without further combat is slim. The White Fangs aren't the only aces after you. At least ships will be pulled from the frontline to trap you.

Baltika9

Arcane
That depends on how you handle the operation, but chances of returning to Earth without further combat is slim. The White Fangs aren't the only aces after you. At least ships will be pulled from the frontline to trap you.
Oh shi- This makes the situation even worse: not only ignoring 2C will leave them unharrassed, they will also bring in reinforcements to box us in (really, it won't take them long to realize that the prototype team isn't responding and put two and two together), we also won't have enough XP to survive their zerg rush and hunter-killer teams... With Kyrie on board.

Unfortunately, the only way out is forward. I laid out my arguments and have only this to say: the path of Lieutenant Limpwrist McFaggot may seem safe and welcoming, but down that road lies a terrible end. With nurglings crawling out of your colon.
P.S.: I shoulda went for the cult's orphanage. This is what I get for forgoing my spiritual liege.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Fundamentally flawed understanding. 2C will get them to bring in reinforcements if you succeed in escaping. The others not so much, not until you get closer to Earth.

Baltika9

Arcane
Just to even out the playing field, since you've put out a lot of facts that will scare people away from this: what is it about the Anhur and other asorted elements (conveniently placed exploding barrels?) that makes Senya think he will succeed here?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Just to even out the playing field, since you've put out a lot of facts that will scare people away from this: what is it about the Anhur and other asorted elements (conveniently placed exploding barrels?) that makes Senya think he will succeed here?
The fact that he's a 16 year old in denial about his hero complex and in the early stages of developing a drug addiction?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Anhur's faster than any thing out there except dedicated fighters, and those aren't nearly as agile in close quarters.With his ability activated he should be almost untouchable by the fodder since he can take the best trajectories through the enemy ranks to avoid fire. Since the goal isn't to destroy everything, this is all he needs to go out there, juke around and return safely.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If we do go with option C, it only makes sense to send in Anhur. The Vizala II's would be either shot down or left behind when we leave the battlefield. There's no way in hell we can kill all of that, even when drugged to high heaven. Senya in Anhur, Yua hacking what she can (the ISC have produced the UNS cruisers... Are we privy to how they work, is hacking them possible? At the very least, we should have pretty good intel on where to strike them to cripple them..). It's a target rich environment. Not so for the enemy. Senya should focus on taking down those adversaries that pose the biggest risk to him, then those of the greatest value = Vizala IIs first, then the Battleship, then the Carrier? As to the two big 'uns, shelling them at extreme range with the Kaguye-hime and two Pimsins seem the wisest choice. I just suspect the Indus carrier to be packing a barrier, so we might not even be able to dent that one.
Then again, if one measly CF wrecks a sizable portion of their best CFs, while we also take out a Battleship, possibly a Carrier and a few cruisers, well, that'd be more than enough for me. Before the drug wears out, Senya then turns tail, flees to the Kaguye-hime (the two Pimsin class cruisers should probably start retreating several minutes before the Kaguye-hime and Anhur, as they have inferior speed), and then get the heck out of dodge.

The reason I didn't list the hacking in my previous outline was that I forgot about it. :oops: It was late and I was heading to bed.

The way I see it, the best case scenario is something along these lines:
We take out a dozen Vizala IIs and a handful of other mechs while remaining relatively untouched ourselves. Our cruisers manage to cripple the battleship to the point where it cannot be salvaged, and damage the carrier enough that it cannot pursue us. The remaining enemy cruisers stay back to protect the carrier (or their CFs are effectively toast, they need the launch bays and repair bays in that carrier) and we make our way towards Earth, only now the aces are sent after us with intel on how we move and fight when drugged up. They even have live footage to study. :roll:

Worst case scenario:
We fuck up. We probably take out a sizable portion of the enemy forces, but we get greedy and overextend. The enemy cripples the Kaguye-hime, destroys the Pimsins and we and the heiress are taken prisoner and ... well. Senya will probably not be executed, but quite possibly subjected to interesting torture devices and cut apart ever so slightly until someone decides to do something rash and tries to rescue him.

I still say we stick with attacking, possibly capturing the prototype and ideally save the one dose of Inanna high we have until we get into an unavoidable confrontation against superiour forces.

Right now, we're stuck behind enemy lines with inferior numbers. Our strength here is mobility, not sheer firepower. If we do engage the enemy, utilize that speed! Do not get stuck in. Guerilla tactics here. Harass the enemy, cripple their mobility, then scram.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You would need some serious upgrades to Yua to be able to hack enemy systems remotely in the heat of battle. Otherwise, it's very close. Not the most optimal set of choices, but close. Unfortunately this is the sort of scenario where the smallest miscalculation might be crucial.

Let's lock the vote to A, and we'll have the update tomorrow. You'll get plenty of chances for glory later.

I think you guys overlooked the reason I have for having the warships fight at closer ranges. If they can't kill the enemy with their first salvo, this compromises their position. Having the ships support you in any way risks them getting discovered, destroyed or captured. At the very least it makes the escape that much harder.

Best to launch Anhur somewhere far from the field, do it alone by humiliating just the unsuspecting aces and other targets of opportunity (you go for the highest impact targets, not the ones that pose most risk to you) then flee with your superior speed and make sure you aren't followed. Basically you take ALL the risk, trusting in your ability.

Azira's plan has most of these elements except for the warship support.

It's possible to get away initially with his plan but they'd be able to surround you in a couple updates time, which might be problematic depending on what other choices have been made. Letting the enemy even see your warships means you're fucked; they'll try to ignore your less destructive firepower and take down the ships.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, I thought about that as well as I was in the metro on my way to work. Still, nice to have it spelled out, but I agree completely. I was overextending, getting greedy. We have a highly mobile base, compromise that and we're screwed. :salute:

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, ain't this the darnedest thing, Napoleon chickened out from Lodi.
Azira, your analyses and strategies were superb, pity we didn't get to use them.

You'll regret this when Kyrie will be spit roasted by her suitors and Senya will be standing around with the biggest blue balls and Butterfield's meaty cock up his ass just because he didn't have the rep to get hitched to her. Then again, going evervirgin and being cut up on a table by one group or another will probably bring about Ean's resurrection. And we're one step closer to getting giant Ean mechas, so that's something.
Pity about not getting to shake the foundations of the war and jumping on the fast track to generalship. Ah well, this should be good.
:avatard:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm thinking most of you would've voted for warship support, so... lucky escape there, really.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yep. :salute: :bro:

[EDIT] Also, when trying to think up the least likely to bite our arse scenario for 2C, I was slightly tempted to flop.
But as is, 2A had the majority, so I guess no harm was done in locking it down. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Naw, I would've been arguing against it with my usual zeal (which is sadly not rewarded with victory) now that I've thought about it.
If I weren't too busy trolling the mongols with a restored Imperium Romanum.

Out of curiosity, had we pulled it off perfectly and returned to Earth, what perks would that operation have given us? Would we become "HOSHIKAWA SENYA, BEARER OF THE EMPEROR'S WILL?" Would we become an ambitious megalomaniac like Dio?

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, we really did dodge one there guys, Ean is proud.
wpid-2107557_460s-1.jpg

:salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, that was my regret as well. treave has said though, that other options for upgrades will appear eventually, so more dakka is still possible later. I just hope people will recognise it for its value then. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'll be fighting against all of the upgrade choices on one prototype in the next update. Should give a rough idea on how each works in practice. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom