Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Zwist

Learned
Jester. Please proofread before you post. You make some good points, but you are rather hard to follow.

Esquilax

Arcane
Nope. Treave's already said that A only has us saving ourselves - not the messenger (in that we'll be leaving her to run on her own) - and that the Dunamis will stay out of our fight with Shulgi.

I understand this, but I don't see how we can hope to defeat Shulgi + 10 mechs now that our tentacles have been severed. I just don't see how it's going to happen.

Shulgi is prepared to kill us, but remember that he wants to capture the Messenger, not kill her. What he doesn't know is our degree of control over her, so if we hand her off to him for the time being, we still have that link with her, no?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's less control and, more like, say, a child obeying its father. It's slightly attached to you. Despite it being almost as old as Shulgi. Yes, the telepathic link still exists, though it has its limits.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's not Shulgi +10 mechs, it's just Shulgi along with the help of our sister and possibly the Gieloth.

I envisioned attacking him as more holding him off so that the Gieloth could escape and then getting out of there if he seems too horribly strong... shouldn't we be able to escape really quickly in the mech if things go south, too? Much faster than on foot, at least.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Nope. Treave's already said that A only has us saving ourselves - not the messenger (in that we'll be leaving her to run on her own) - and that the Dunamis will stay out of our fight with Shulgi.

I understand this, but I don't see how we can hope to defeat Shulgi + 10 mechs now that our tentacles have been severed. I just don't see how it's going to happen.

Shulgi is prepared to kill us, but remember that he wants to capture the Messenger, not kill her. What he doesn't know is our degree of control over her, so if we hand her off to him for the time being, we still have that link with her, no?
I guess what your trying to say is that after we're done with Shulgi, we still have the mechs to fight? Just making sure - you do realize they'll stay out of the fight per Shulgi's orders, right?

Additionally, you're wrong. Shulgi want's to capture Rei and kill the messenger.

“Vaporize the child. Capture the Messiah.”
Rei is the cult's messiah. Not the messenger. The child he's referring to is the dead girl that serves as a vessel for the gieloth.

“I see.” He points his gaze, first at me, then at the Messenger, who seems utterly frightened of him as her tanned face has turned pale with terror. “You have managed to surprise me once again,” he murmurs after some time, his eyes fixed on the child.
It's how she is referred to throughout the update.

Agian, if you want to run and save the gieloth, C is probably our best option. However, I'd rather stay and fight, if only because I really don't trust that rod.

treave, I'm curious: Had we chosen to kill the gieloth, would our tentacles have survived?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, you keep your tentacles if you crush it. Touching it in anyway with tendrils was not going to turn out well.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I wonder if we did not tell Anzo about attack would we still encounter Shulgi and WF.

Interestingly, you wouldn't, but then again does Shulgi really need to track you to figure out where Rei is and what she's doing, seeing as he seems to have a direct line to the cult's leader?

I envisioned attacking him as more holding him off so that the Gieloth could escape and then getting out of there if he seems too horribly strong... shouldn't we be able to escape really quickly in the mech if things go south, too? Much faster than on foot, at least.

Pretty much. You're not going to fight recklessly to the death. It's more of taking a chance if you see it, and testing what Shulgi is capable of in combat. Whether that won't backfire horribly as it turns out he can pull orbiting satellites down on your head or something is up in the air.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I wonder if we did not tell Anzo about attack would we still encounter Shulgi and WF.

Interestingly, you wouldn't, but then again does Shulgi really need to track you to figure out where Rei is and what she's doing, seeing as he seems to have a direct line to the cult's leader?
Told. You. So. Bros.:M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, let me just reveal a bit more of the upcoming main plot as a gift, since you guys are convinced the Masters are coming... :lol:

Astronomical observations indicate that the solar system is now located near the center of the galaxy, having been displaced many, many astronomical units from its original location.

Do you recall the Masters' actions of having spread test subjects all over multiple worlds, and instilling them with an almost religious obsession in being the first to reach the center?

I wonder if Ares made his way onto one of those planets and successfully became God-Emperor...

:troll:

Nah, I'm just kidding.

Except for the 'solar system being near the center of the galaxy' bit.

Kipeci

Arcane
Wait, I'm no astronomer, but isn't the area around the center of the galaxy a fairly hostile environment? I'm remembering something about very unpleasant quantities of massive black holes, absurd amounts of gamma radiation and other dodgy whatsits abounding there.

Does anybody here study that nonsense enough to have a real opinion?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, not at the center, but relatively near it.

Yeah, there's the problem of a higher chance of catching super death ray gamma bursts, but let's just say they've been relatively lucky so far. >_>

edit: Mostly it's because the higher density of stars means a higher chance of one going supernova, if I recall correctly.

edit2: On the bright side it means there are more stars we can blow up in epic space battles.

Jester

Arbiter
Hmm my guess is because we reduced window of opportunity to ship messenger Shulgi decided to check on Rei instead of attempting other pressing maters.

“Hoshikawa Senya. We must thank you, no matter how it disgusts me, for leading us here.”
Still there is this part. How did they track us? Some kind of bug on our implants? (with Yua its unlikely)

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Maybe Yua is the tracking bug. Nobody else haven't been able to come up with a working AI but we did. Maybe it is a gift from Shulgi:troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Immortal

track: miragecoordinator

Rei makes the opening move of the fight by firing her rifle. The ground explodes from the beam's kinetic energy, leaving behind a small, molten crater.

"You should have another try," laughs Shulgi, standing safely a dozen metres away. As Rei turns to him, I take the chance to make my way towards the CF she had dispatched. The cockpit of the fallen frame is still tightly sealed when I get to it. I look at the Messenger, standing a safe distance away.

Help me with the robot.

How do I do that?

"Yua, can you connect to the child's mind?"

"It's a bit difficult, but... yeah, I should be able to do it."

The Gieloth lets out a yelp of surprise as Yua talks to her.

Do what the voice tells you to do.

The Gieloth walks up to the CF and lays her hands on it, her eyes closed in concentration. Moments later, the cockpit hatch opens with a slight hiss. The pilot is dead, half of his head missing from Rei's attack.

Thanks. Now go find a place to hide in.

The Messenger nods and runs back towards the compound building, while the Dunamis observe us silently. I have no doubt they would attack if we made a break for it, but surprisingly, they're allowing me to board the mech.

"The systems have been damaged but manual control is still combat effective." remarks Yua as I kick the corpse out and strap myself into the seat, ignoring the blood spatter. This means I won't be able to use any fancy macros or programming to simplify the actions. I'll have to rely on total manual input for my actions. Tricky, but...

I breathe in deeply. I still have more than twenty minutes left - that should be more than enough. The gigantic frame begins moving according to my will, crawling to its feet.

"Excellent, Hoshikawa." I hear Erec say. "Now I can kill you." I ready myself as Erec's white Onuris draws its sword. On foot I might be an inferior combatant, but as a pilot I'm confident in my advantage. I'll need to get through him to reach Rei.

Suddenly, Rei blindsides Erec's frame, smashing it to the ground. Her own mech is already damaged; scratches and scorch marks mar its white paint, and the armor has been chipped away at places.

"What are you still doing here?" she shouts. "Run!"

"As if I could do that!" I bring up the CF's rifle and aim at the fallen Erec. The lack of assisted controls will interfere with my accuracy, but at this distance I should be able to down him before he gets up.

"Taking your eyes off me in a battle? I am disappointed, Rei."

There is a bright flash, and then a loud thunderclap. Brilliant blue lightning washes over Rei's frame like a stream from the heavens, forcing it to its knees as she screams. Shulgi walks in between the both of us casually, brushing off dirt from his charred clothing. His appearance is now... different. He is shorter, more slender than before, though his eye patch remains. His red hair has turned black, and his skin more tanned. Is this his true form?

"Do you want to be a hero too, Senya?" he sighs. "That is not your role. You are just trash. A reject that should know its place."

"Recycling taunts already?" I respond. "You certainly don't have much originality."

"I call things as they are. You are a reject. Well, no matter. If it is death you seek, I will deal with the both of you at once - it should serve as a good workout for my rehabilitation." says Shulgi. "Stand down, Erec Dunamis." He gives Erec's frame a withering glance, freezing it in its tracks - Erec had been about to attack us again. "Let me play with the pups."

Rei leaps at him from behind, attempting to crush his small body under a giant robotic palm. Shulgi moves, easily dodging her attack, but I have my eye on him. I know where he will land. When he does, I've already pulled the trigger, the beam from my rifle lancing right towards his body. His eyes widen in surprise, but for just a moment. A tower of rock bursts forth from the ground, shaking off the snow as it rises. There is a small explosion as the beam meets the tower, blasting Shulgi's body away. As he skids to a halt and regains his footing, Rei is upon him again, her saber drawn. Shulgi manages to float away to safety - is that levitation, or some form of telekinesis? - while a conflagration erupts around her, trapping Rei in a ring of fire. The flames lick away at the CF, and I see the armor plates melting.

"This is underwhelming." Shulgi raises his hand in the air, laughing as he does so. He's probably about to call down lightning again; I have no doubts by now that the supernatural feats and characters depicted in the game he gave me are not fiction. I fire my rifle at Shulgi again, causing him to stop his attack in favour of avoiding mine. This time it is a near miss, with the heat of the passing beam igniting his clothes. Shulgi hits the ground running, a sudden gust of wind extinguishing the fire around him.

"Senya, don't you want to find your beloved princess? Are you sure you have the time to waste fooling around here?" he asks innocently.

"Isn't she supposed to be dead?" I reply. "Why would I look for someone no longer in this world?"

"Ha, giving up just like that? That is not like you. I suppose you have actually found out that she is still alive, and indeed no longer in our custody. Does that make you feel safe? Secure in the knowledge that she is free of our clutches?"

He attempts to flank me, darting off to the side. He might be fast, but not so fast that I cannot follow him. My vulcans shred the ground around him, cutting off his path of escape.

"Get to the point, Shulgi. I know you're about to make a threat of some sort," I sigh.

"Of course not. I don't make idle threats. Still, I cannot assure you that she is safe if I don't have her in my keeping now, do I?"

There is something malicious to his statement that gives me a sinking feeling. Shulgi comes to a halt, his feet kicking up snow. A massive wave of earth and rock surges forth, swallowing my bullets. I leap aside to avoid the wave, but Shulgi has already advanced within its cover. He lands on the barrel of my rifle, grinning. There is an explosion in my gun hand, and I fall back - he has destroyed my rifle and is now coming for me. Then, Rei charges forth from the flames, closing her hand around Shulgi while he is still in mid-air. I notice that her frame is already repairing itself somehow, regenerating the damage automatically.

"I got him!" yells Rei as the Onuris's fist tightens around the man it has caught, attempting to crush him into pulp. Then, before my eyes, the robot's arm twists and bends at multiple points. The armor splinters and the inner structure breaks as the arm is wrung like a dishrag by an unseen force. Shulgi slips out of Rei's grasp, her frame's arm hanging limply by its side. The regeneration process begins almost instantly, the limb attempting to reassemble itself. Whatever parts it cannot salvage are reconstructed from nothing. "Ah, creation." Shulgi muses, panting slightly. "You seem to have outstripped your worthless sibling in your development. Come, let us test your limits. Senya, stay there and watch." I freeze up, just as I am about to strike at his back with my saber. Something about the way he said it has lodged that sentence in my brain and turned it into an order.

The earth opens up under Rei's frame, swallowing and crushing its limbs. Shulgi drops onto the frame's head, causing its sensors to crack under his feet. He is still treating this fight as if it is some sort of game, casually strolling towards the cockpit. I can hear the scream of twisting metal as the hatch is wrenched open by his powers.

"How well can you withstand the burden of your memories, I wonder?"

Rei clambers out of the cockpit, slightly unsteady on her feet. The moment her eyes fix on Shulgi, she moves to attack, sprinting forward so fast that she is but a blur. There is a wicked smile on Shulgi's face. He intercepts her strike, his own hand snaking forth to grip her arm. Rei's eyes turn blank. She turns pale, her mouth muttering as if remembering something. Then, she begins screaming, trying to free herself from Shulgi. He lets her go, that cruel smile still fixed on his lips. Rei crawls away on her hands and knees, gasping as tears run down her face. After a while, she curls up on the scorched surface of the frame and begins calling out for her brother in a plaintive, desperate tone. I try to move, but the compulsion to stay is too strong for me to fight.

"What have you done to her, Shulgi?" He told me to stay and watch... he did not say I could not speak.

"Nothing much. I just opened up every single wound she suffered after you abandoned her. You shouldn't make a bad habit of leaving behind broken women, you know? Rei was the first. Then, you met the princess. I wonder how she is faring..."

"Probably better off than when she was in captivity, I'm sure."

"Are you sure now?" sneers Shulgi. "How do you think she escaped in the first place? No, I fully expect that when you find her, she will be broken. She will be sullied. She will not be the person you wanted to find, Senya, and this will teach you the ways of the world."

"Spare me your pointless philosophical ramblings," I retort. "Are you suffering from some sort of existential crisis that you are projecting onto me? I'm not some thousand-year old immortal and I outgrew my angsty stage a couple years back. Do you think I care whether she is tainted or broken when I find her? Grow up."

"You can say that now, but will you be as strong when you confront reality? Ah, no matter. There is nothing you can do here."

I grit my teeth. I can't move. I can't leave the frame. There is nothing I can do here.

"There is nothing you can do here," echoes Shulgi. "Indeed, you can do nothing but bring ruin to everything you touch. If your sister is the embodiment of creation, you are destruction. You have done nothing good for this world."

I have done nothing good... at all? I try to remember what I have done. Have I been useful? Have I saved lives? Have I done good? Why would I want to do good? Why would I want to save lives? Why would I need to be useful to anyone but myself? I cannot do anything but bring ruin to everything I touch.

"Get a hold of yourself!" shouts Yua. "You're slipping!" Her voice doesn't reach me.

I cannot do anything but bring ruin. Rei can create. She brings life. I see lines of death. I kill.

I can kill anything.

Broken lines of sapphire criss-cross the world in front of me, though I had not willed their presence yet. In the next moment, the hatch of my cockpit is torn away, and I see Shulgi standing over me.

"What do you see, Hoshikawa Senya?"

There are no lines anywhere on his being. Is this what it means to be immortal?

"You really are eternal, are you not?" I reply, my voice cold as ice.

"You really are a reject, are you not?" he responds, mocking me. "Here I thought that you had understood your true nature."

"Oh, I do."

I kill the words that he had spoken to me - a mental construct can be erased with my mind just as easily as I cut physical objects. Though Shulgi appears to have no lines, the words that he put in my head do. I calmly unbuckle myself from the seat, my eyes fixed on the smiling immortal all this while. There is no point in attacking him physically - I am nowhere near as fast and strong as Rei, so I would have to try something else.

"Oh?" He looks slightly impressed. "You can do that now?"

My mind is in searing agony from the strain of maintaining my powers, but I keep a straight face, letting none of the pain show. I cannot hold this for much longer.

"Perhaps I should stop letting you run around like a headless chicken."

I get to my feet, facing him. "Afraid I will gut you and leave your innards to rot on the street, Shulgi?"

"Not really. I am, as you say, eternal."

"You'll spend the rest of your eternity in a jar on my desk."

"Bloodthirsty little bugger, aren't you?"

"I'll do it." I whisper. I'll kill him. I'll erase him. I can do it. I only have to want for it, and I can snuff out the flames of his life by just reaching out. If he doesn't die even then I will just cut him up again and again and again and again and again-

For the first time, Shulgi's face loses that amused expression, as he leans back involuntarily, seemingly picking up on my murderous thoughts. His face is set grimly as his eyes dart backwards over his shoulder, looking at Rei. She is still catatonic, lying on her own frame. When those dark eyes turn back to me, they seem firm of purpose.

"I won't kill you after all," he says, a wry smile on his face. "In fact, you need my help. You will lose yourself if you continue on this route. You have already lost control once before, haven't you? Your problem, Senya, is lack of information, which causes you to make reckless decisions. Go to sleep now. You will burn out very soon if you don't. Once you awaken, I will tell you everything you should know." He takes a step forward, ready to touch me - I will probably be knocked out if I allow that to happen. I might not be able to see Shulgi's lines, but at this particular moment in time, I sense that I can somehow reach something higher... I stretch out as far as I can go, straining my ability to its limits. At the other end I know I can find a way to end Shulgi for good, even with his immortality.

Shulgi's eyes narrow, his hand stopping mere inches away from me, and then withdrawing.

"Whatever it is you think you are grasping for, you are not ready yet," he says. "It will destroy you."

"Will it destroy you ?"

He remains silent, and I just smile at him, baring my teeth.

A. He must be lying, as he always does. On the off chance he isn't, I'm still confident I can handle whatever consequences that come. I will strike his existence from the records of fate.

B. I offer him a fair deal. I want safe passage for Rei and the Messenger. I want Kyrie safe. If he fulfils those conditions, I will not destroy him.
1. I accept his offer of information and allow him to put me to sleep.
2. I reject his offer of information and seek to escape.

Zwist

Learned
Mhhh.

B2.

We do have a moral obligation in the Gieloth. It trusts us. What would it become without that guidance? His information would be of use. But we can not put our life in his hand. Again.
We also have a different source of information. Let us read it.

Also "Striking from the records of fate"; now, what if something remains?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't want Shulgi dead. The information he'll feed Senya will probably be chock-full of misinformation, but it's better than running around like a headless chicken, by a far margin.

Oh, and I really like how this fight seems to've enhanced Senya's abilities.
As such, I don't want Shulgi to end too soon, and I'm afraid he might be right and we'll lose Senya as well. Might even the whole world. Being put to sleep is quite off-putting though... He'll mess with us. Mess with us good. We might be able to untangle the mess, as we did his commands, which is why I'm cautiously voting for

B1

And the fire abilites = creation, while ice/void = destruction/end of creation? :salute:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Voting B1 for now. A is very tempting as well. Will ponder this some more. I suspect Shulgi won't go back on his word with the offer of information he makes, but he will limit our capacity to hurt him further. Then again he might not, he seems to crave opposition. The world has been his play thing for too long.

And we're a child of the Blind Idiot God Azathoth. It makes sense, we have so much power and no idea how to use it or what is going on around us.

Jester

Arbiter
I vote B1

We was able to witness Shulgi battle prowess perhaps that will let us see amount of his political influence and actual power base. (We are aware that he is in controls many but we don't know who exactly. Is he part of Cults chain of command? Personally doubt it.)

After first shaterpoint
I'm all out of strength. I close my stinging eyes and welcome the embrace of unconsciousness.
I think A will be to costly for us and Senya is too smart to not be aware of it. We got powered up to point of making Shulgi serious and usually that mean hell of a burden on user with was similar when we unlocked Shaterpoint.

Either we will kill Shulgi and probably will be to tired/crippled to fend of Erec, will fry Senya brain, Rei/Lili will die in cross fire or Cult Senya, some kind of Cathulu (prob personification of destruction) will wake up and take full control for Ean knows how long or Shulgi lives but Senya will be annihilated on molecular level because he is too powerless.

B2 could be fine still i don't think that Shulgi lie here and we would get some nasty penalty, he lied to us few times but I don't remember him backtracking on a promise.

PS
no longer in our custody
Interesting does this refers to Relius or Empress being his pawns or he is allied with other major player?

good workout for my rehabilitation
He is still in weaken state and is able to take 2 frames? If Senya ever decide that Shulgi is his enemy we will steal some nukes or organize battle cruiser armada.

you are not ready yet
Looks like future had just become much brighter at least in my opinion.

I thought that abducting Lili silently was best result in this journey... if this will work out i stand corrected. +M

Kayerts

Arcane
"Striking Shulgi from the record" sounds suspiciously similar to the rewind mechanic: existential manipulation, probably related to the Great Idea. I get the impression that ending him here would have Bad Consequences. (The least of which would be finding ourselves exhausted and surrounded by ten superhumans in CFs who no longer have any reason not to kill us.)

Also, Shulgi generally seems to still have Holy Terra's interests at heart. I buy most of root's take on events on the previous page; the net effect of all Shulgi's manipulations is a humanity vastly better prepared to face the enemy coming for it. (Guess for that enemy: another of the Masters' test world civilizations, likely a more advanced one. We're near the center of the galaxy, so their path to it lies through us.)

Regarding 1 vs. 2, our display here seems to have at the very least convinced Shulgi of our value. So I don't think he'll kill us. And we could be useful for Earth's defense, so I don't think he'll cripple us, either. That doesn't mean that he won't do something nasty, though; we could well wake up with a remote-controlled explosive device implanted in our chest. So the choice is between the risk of that and the value of whatever information we might gain.

B1 for now; may flop.

Flopping to B2 because B1 seems too good to be true. May revert back if someone can argue it isn't.

Zwist

Learned
We did not convince him of our value. We convinced him of our danger. He is just as likely to kill us.
And the problem with "unmaking" I have is, that the thing we met on our adventure through the mirror was described as "something that should not exist, and in fact never existed" or something like that.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I suppose you have actually found out that she is still alive, and indeed no longer in our custody

He might be referring to the Great Mother. Or the Master that was put in charge of Earth. Might be the same thing.

B1.

ScubaV

Prophet
I'll choose the root option: A. Only because Shulgi was a megalomaniac once before. If he's regressed to that again, things don't look good. Especially if the "rehabilitation" he mentioned is via the Masters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom