Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Jester

Arbiter
Discworld Vimes references? This is quite rewarding for me and like always enjoyment of solid writing.
:bravo:

Looks like we at least get appointment to apostate Senya, was looking forward to that.

Its time for a challenge to our Codexian wits... sounds like doom and gloom.
:troll: still probably this gonna be fun like always.

I can't wait for release of next chapter.

Esquilax

Arcane
Awesome. I knew that there had to be at least some truth in what Shulgi was getting at, and I am glad that it wasn't just a simple bad ending. This is going to be tough, but I think that traversing this place will be worth the risks.

treave, out of curiosity, would A have had a lot of bad consequences for us? B2 I'm assuming allows us to make it out alive, but probably Rei is toast at the very least. In any case, I think we need to go through this trial to finally understand what the fuck is going on.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, it's getting annoying not knowing fuck all all the time. Senya needs knowledge in order to defeat his foes.

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, it's getting annoying not knowing fuck all all the time. Senya needs knowledge in order to defeat his foes.

Indeed, trusting Shulgi sounds like a recipe for disaster on paper (could you imagine doing something like this as Ean?), but the alternatives weren't exactly great either. It was either that, running the fuck away and persisting in ignorance, or willing Shulgi out of existence and (at best) killing the only person around who has true knowledge of what's going on or (at worst) reaching out to the vast unfathomable entity out in the stars and probably fucking the multiverse irreparably. I just saw no long-term in any of the other options, which is why I think we needed to take the risk.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A would have destroyed Shulgi at the cost of frying your brain. This causes a reload, and while there is no retroactive wipe of his existence - you merely succeed in ending it - Shulgi's disappearance means that the dozen or so concurrent schemes he had running (there was at least one for each path at the end of chapter 2) and the puppets managing them are now free to do whatever the fuck they want, without being subtly corralled into whatever end Shulgi had in mind.

It's hard to say whether it would've turned out to be a bad choice, but in the short term, the world would have become gloriously chaotic as the pot o' plots explodes once the plotters realize the guy who's giving them directions is no longer there.

Of course, had you pressed ahead with the choice to team up with Cyber Jack prior to this, you would get the support that allows you to surreptitiously replace Shulgi as the spider in the center of the web, since most of them never knew his real face anyway. But, eh, hindsight.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Incidentally, that entity we keep pulling out to. I think we're related to it, and I think it's the big prize at the center of the galaxy. That's why Book Two's named "Inheritor of the Stars". It's our damn inheritance waiting to be claimed.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
This turned out much better than I had hoped. We just lost our powers for a moment and are god's plaything. No biggie.

Jester

Arbiter
Hey i was right about brain barbeque, who would guess? The most troll outcome would be that we fry our brain before we can wipe Shulgi so basically one way reload, but i didn't wish to give ideas.
:troll:

Treave I wanted to ask some time but in 2 chapter part 14 could we try to use our military status or Higashi nationality to be court martial or judged in Higashi? With captain, crew and Anzo testimonies as well radio chatter we should have quite nice defense in court.
but the the supreme commander of the armed forces happens to be the Emperor, Your Majesty. Only his authority may command a military officer; a civilian would have no direct say. I believe currently that particular authority is a shared responsibility of all the board of directors. Is that not so, Your Majesty?
Would she be able to sway directors for her machinations or this wouldn't change anything?

Rejoice i sense Loredumps incoming crew battle stations this shall be glorious.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That wouldn't matter at all. The world's military has been centralized under Federation command, so any tribunal convened to determine your fate would be staffed by representatives from the member states. Now, the President might not sit on such a tribunal as it concerns the death of her daughter and she would like to keep an impartial reputation, but you can be damn sure the other seats will be filled with people who believe you're a monster.

Even before that, it would be hard for you to get to trial. They would just as likely try to shoot you dead if you attempt to surrender. It'd probably take something of a wild fight scene ending with you sitting on top of a pile of bodies telling them calmly, "Now, are you going to take me in, or do I have to kick more of your asses until you do it?"

a cut of domestic sheep prime

We should have asked Shulgi to give us tentacles again. Tentacles, I say!

Bloodshifter

Educated
*headdesk*
I am out for 3 weeks and Codex goes and shats on my favorite CYOA. Dammit all better then I expected.

We were a Immortal Gieloth Hybrid but lost the Gieloth.

We could have wiped out Shulgi but decided to accept his deal? Wtf guys even the codex shakes it head in shame.

Esquilax

Arcane
We could have wiped out Shulgi but decided to accept his deal? Wtf guys even the codex shakes it head in shame.

This was absolutely the right call to make and I stand by it. The alternatives were either another reload that we don't have the right allies/resources to take advantage of (we didn't team up with Cyber Jack) or to continue being ignorant - this at least opens the door to actually figuring out what's going on. Three chapters and we still have barely any idea of how Senya fits into the grand scheme of things, personally I'm tired of it. I think it's kinda funny how you shit on a lot of these choices long after the vote's been made, it's Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.

Anyways, I've had some thoughts:

So this is a world constructed using my mind as its foundation? I suppose I could go to all the trouble of doing this properly, clearing the hurdles set up ahead of me, looking for my forgotten memories, and finding the key that Shulgi has hidden at the center of this world... or I could think of a way to lure its creator into appearing before me, capture him or her, and 'persuading' them to free me with all the means at my disposal. After all, a virtual body in a virtual world has a much higher pain tolerance than a real person in the physical world... I shake my head, trying to clear it. No matter what I choose to do, I should explore this place first.

If this world uses our mind as its foundation, perhaps changes in our psyche could correspond to changes in the environment. For example, if we get into the root of where Senya's psycho alter ego comes from, maybe this place will be easier to navigate. Experiencing pain here might not hurt our physical body, but it might affect our psyche in such a way that this place becomes progressively more dangerous and confusing to navigate through.

Hard to say who made the world at this point, but I don't think that Shulgi is lying - he is not the creator. As manipulative as Shulgi is, he isn't really the lying type, he prefers mislead people into coming to the conclusions that suit him best so that they don't know they're being used in the first place. The strange thing is, I can't really recall Shulgi ever straight-up making shit up like say, Dio.

Even in Chapter 1 during Ean's arc when he met Rimush, nothing that Shulgi told him was false, only misleading. When we woke up here, Shulgi was still holding true to the agreement we made: he'd tell us what we need to know once we woke up. What I'm trying to get at is that we shouldn't really concern ourselves with what Shulgi is telling us because we can probably trust it, it's what he isn't saying that could really fuck us over.

Bloodshifter

Educated
At the points I have shit on I try to steer you guys away from everything you chose but you guys ingore me this past 1 and 1/2 month I have been on vacation or in the hosiptal for a broken arm and fractured shoulder plate 2 broken Ribs too. So sorry for being a Ran over ass.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
At this point it is too early to tell if we messed up or not with the last choice. I think the next few choices are critical to Senya's mindset and we should decide which way we want to steer him. Unlocking the forgotten memories might make the evil side more powerful, but going straight to the source or creator and we might miss those valuable but non-corrupting memories.

Jester

Arbiter

You chose your enemies i chose my. Shulgi isn't on my black list.

That sound like nasty accident hope that you are healed and rested well. Best wishes Bloodshifter.

we should decide which way we want to steer him.

Loyal to friends and allies, merciless to enemies that what i will try to get. Nice mix of corruption control and... flexibility.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
START

The once silent corridors begin to fill up with murmurs. With every step I take, more ghosts appear around me, fascimiles of students and teachers that busy themselves going about their own business. I pass a hand through one of them – a sullen looking pig-tailed girl – and her image wavers temporarily before reconsolidating itself. She screams, looking at me as if I've violated her somehow, and backs away in tears.

“Sir, please refrain from interacting with background characters in an inappropriate manner.” Looking away from the panicking student, I see a short, blonde-haired girl standing in front of me. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath. The voice and appearance is identical to hers, but it can't be Kyrie. I haven't had much experience with full-body dives before, but I know a thing or two about how they work.

“Identify yourself.” I say.

“I am an interactive NPC of the Qualia series, sir. I have been customized to project the appearance you find the most aesthetically pleasing. I am also equipped with an extensive database on World 0, which you may use to guide your way.”

“That appearance is not what I find aesthetically pleasing.” I mutter.

“I am sorry, sir. Perhaps you would like to specify a change in appearance?”

I wave my hand dismissively – impressive, that even in a virtual world the feeling of cybernetics has been reproduced accurately – and shake my head. “No, that is alright. This will do. Tell me more about this world.” I begin walking, and the Kyrie NPC falls into step at my side, briefing me about this place.

“First off, I would like to welcome you to World 0, sir. This is a high-immersion virtual reality world customized for users to explore their own memories in an interactive format. I am afraid that the reconstruction of this world is not yet complete – the program appears to have run into some difficulties in accessing several parts of your mind. Digitization is complete, but translation and interpretation is still in progress.”

I nod. “Is this a custom program? Who is the creator?”

“The program has been customized to perform fully intrusive digitization. The creator is ■■■■.”

I suppose the maker isn't going to reveal themselves that easily, though that's not important at the moment. I continue probing. “Tell me more about fully intrusive digitization.”

“Fully intrusive digitization involves a thorough mapping of the entirety of the user's brain. Whereas normal digitization only recreates surface memories, fully intrusive digitization is a more complete reconstruction of a user's mindscape.”

“How is World 0 structured?”

“World 0's main lobby is a recreation of a public location that has left strong impressions on the primary user. From there, a user can travel to various memories segregated by time and location.”

“What are the memories I can travel to from this point?”

“Please hold on while I search,” says the Kyrie NPC while she closes her eyes. After a short while, she completes her search and looks at me again. “Sir, I regret to inform you that there appears to be further customization to this program than what I have previously described. The memories have been partitioned according to the creator's specifications.”

“That is all right,” I say impatiently. “What memories can I travel to?”

“Records indicate that you can only access a room labeled the Gate of the Beginning.”

I sigh. Railroading, huh.

“Take me there, then.”

“Very well, sir. Please follow me.”

I do so, making my way through the winding corridors of the academy. It appears to be slightly larger than I remember it to be, with less rooms lining the hallways. After some time, we come to a large double-door – if I recall correctly, this led to the gymnasium.

“This is the Gate of the Beginning, sir. Shall we enter?”

I'm about to gesture my approval, when I hear the rapid patter of small footsteps. The background characters did not run. Turning around quickly, I manage to catch a glimpse of a child darting down a set of stairs off to the left. Had those stairs been there before?

“Hey, where do those stairs lead?”

“I am afraid I have no information on that area, sir. It appears to be digitized data, but the program has not yet filtered it through the translation algorithm.”

I walk over to the stairs and peer down. I can see the area underneath – unlike the soothing sunset glow of the floors I have been on, it is barely illuminated by dim fluorescent lighting. After a while, I notice the child's face peeking back at me from between the railings at the bottom of the staircase.

I should have expected something like this, but it's still a jarring thing to see your younger self looking you in the eye. The boy blinks and runs off. Turning back to the guide NPC, I see that she's still waiting patiently for me to enter the Gate of the Beginning.

A. I enter the Gate of the Beginning. From the way it's worded, it is probably a trial of some sort – the program has probably set things up so that I can progress level by level. There's no point to chasing after ghosts.

B. I refuse to be railroaded in a construct of my own mind. There's no telling what is a test or trial; this could just as easily be another one. Besides, it is untranslated space – I should be able to find out more by acting beyond the confines of the program. I chase after my younger self.

Kayerts

Arcane
I like sequence-breaking as much as the next guy, but I want to complete the tutorial level and figure out the basic mechanics first.

A

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"I chase after my younger self"? Really?
:lol:

And here I thought Senya was male. :roll:

Ohwell, let's jump on the bandwagon, shall we?
Nope!

I'm flopping to A

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A - Huh. B would seem the logical answer here. "Gate of The Beginning"? I suppose it's a giant coincidence that we're standing in front of the aptly named orifice when we catch a glimpse of our younger self. Also, why the hell would our beginning be at a gym? We were weak in the beginning. Still, I hate bandwagons so voting A for spite.

edit: of course, then again, the program couldn't map areas of our mind... This little guy is probably the reason. Going after him could lead to reawakening our inner Dio, and/or it could lead us away from the knowledge Shulgi promised. I mean, heck, the gym is where Senya was always weakest at first. Maybe this first part is Shulgi's way of confronting our inner nerd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom