Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We made a choice, and it had consequences. :yeah:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    B.

^ Top  
  3. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Sounds ominous.

So is this like remembering an old piece of information, which we decided to ignore in our collective stupidity vs. totally new information? Maybe Esquilax can come up with a decent analysis?

^ Top  
  4. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    B flop to A
    thx to Esquilax and Lambchop

Let me guess, memories we would find after following young Senya wouldn't be modified in any way and now we must be aware that they can be twisted by CJ or we lost possibility of making young Senya our Bro. Hope its former.

So they can be modified to creator will as long as they are based on original memory. Exactly the thing i was afraid on last crossroad, we got ourselves flawed source of information. I guess that finding out who is creator and whats her/his plans are should be one of our main objectives, by doing that we will be able to make some assumption about truth. We can be pointed in some very annoying direction, if we are being led by our enemy or rival. Sound like quite easy way to make Senya a pawn.

Btw Esquilax im not sure but judging from this its not Shulgi world we are now in but someone else and that mean that we cant assume that Shulgi goals and personality are any marker here still he could look at that person hands so mby not.

^ Top  
  5. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    A - We should have gone after the kid if we wanted to delve into our past first thing. Let's figure out what we already know.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    More importantly, I believe that what we already know will be more difficult to manipulate than what we have forgotten. As a result, I have to go with A.

^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Meh. Nice quote. Let's get railroaded by Shulgi. I'll flop.

^ Top  
  8. Zwist Learned

Zwist
    A.
    "You know, you knew all the parts, but were to fucking blind to see the greater picture. Dumbass"

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I believe I'm in need of a tie-breaker.

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I fear the certitude of the Esquilaxian faction, yet I shall not be the one of my Brothers to yield. Stand firm!

^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Field

The stairway, though constructed of light, appears solid to the touch. I set one foot on it, testing my weight. It is stable. Minding my step and the lack of handrails, I begin my climb, counting the steps as I go. As always, the guide NPC is just behind me, matching my pace without a word of complaint. I leave the lich and its lonely hall behind. The ceiling opens up like a flower as I draw near, its surface splitting into petal-like extensions that curl inwards with a loud, drawn-out creak. The stairway continues upwards, into total darkness. Only the light of the stairs can be seen, forming the path I have to travel.

10,214 steps later, I stop counting. I don’t get tired in the virtual world, but the monotony of the climb in the dark grates on my nerves.

“How much longer do we have to go?” I ask.

The guide NPC, her face unchanging, replies without even a blink. “There are only 13,341 more steps to go.”

With a slight grumble, I continue to climb.

Soon, I begin to see something green in the distance. I quicken my steps. Pinpricks of light begin to appear in the depths, far from the stairs I am climbing. The lights gather into familiar shapes – galaxies and nebulae, rotating slowly around me with the stairs as its axis.

“Almost there, sir.” I hear the guide say.

Then, with one more step, the scenery changes. A vast expanse of emerald sky stretches itself over my head as the darkness fades out, washed away by a flood of azure under my feet. It takes me a while for me to understand what I am looking at. The sky above me is a field of grass, and I am, somehow, standing with utter disregard for gravity.

“What is this place?”

“It is another level of World 0, sir. The program should simulate part of your knowledge with this vista,” replies the guide patiently. “Please wait and watch.”

The activity begins in a few seconds. A small hole appears on the surface of the grassy field, and an ant climbs out of it. It is soon followed by its comrades. They begin spreading over the field and – surprisingly – begin building and digging. In a matter of minutes a large part of the field has been shaped into something that looked very much like a map of the world.

The ants begin to exhibit different colours on their shells. Those with the same colours would band together in marked territories on the map.

Then, a certain group of ants in the region around Sumer begin building a high tower, reaching out towards me.

“I believe the ants desire to communicate, sir.”

I reach a finger out and place it against the tiny spire of the tower. The awe and worshipful feelings of the ants instantly flood my head. Though their minds are tiny, when they are gathered together in one single purpose they have power.

Despite that power, however, they are lost. They want direction and purpose, and they seek it from me. I begin to ponder how this simulation is supposed to tell me what I already know. Judging from the events, it is probably a crude recreation of history. Obviously I am nowhere near old enough to be some ancient god that men of old sought guidance from; Shulgi would probably fit the bill better. Then again, these events aren’t fully accurate, and I should refrain from taking everything at face value.

I wait for a while longer, but nothing happens – the ant world remains in stasis, as if waiting for me to act.

For now, it seems as if I can only progress by dealing with the ants. Three choices float before my eyes – these seem to be the directions I can give them, within the confines of the simulation. Before I can choose, there is a sudden burst of static, and a fourth choice is added to the mix. How strange.

A. Peace and prosperity is the only way for ant-kind to thrive. I direct the ants to seek out a life of co-existence and harmony. Ant-kind will never grow into an upstanding, moral civilization if they are bogged down in constant conflict.

B. There can be no progress without strife; there can be no greater purpose in life than progress. The ants are to turn themselves into tools of war and drive their foes honourably and mercilessly before them.

C. Ant-kind is free to do as they wish. Free will is the right of any ant, and only by pursuing their dreams on their own will they be able to experience true joy. I instruct the ants to abandon all hesitation and indulge in their desires.

D. This world is fake, and I reveal as much to these digital creations.I tell the ants that this world they inhabit is false – a manufactured world of dreams. If they desire to awaken, they must experience a fear so startling that they are jolted from their slumber. I wonder what they will do?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B That is the way of the Sith :obviously:

^ Top  
  14. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A for now.

^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    So we can be Ean Alter-Ego Morpheus with D?

^ Top  
  16. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    :hmmm:
    Not easy choice A sound good but i doubt that in long term they survive, many not ant predators so sphere diplomacy wont work. D is cool but it would annoy me to answer metaphor like that unless for lol. C or B huh. C sound like hedonism or second USS and we really don't need that.

So i vote B. Kill, consume and evolve or conquer others and go with casts like Tau.

^ Top  
  17. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Tower of Babel...

Choose carefully Codex Remember this is the path we remember.

^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Okay, well, it appears that the ants only grow powerful when there's unity and common purpose, which rules C out. It sounds like a recipe for hedonism and general overall societal decline without the benefits of either enlightenment in A or competition in B.

D however, is a bit of a wild card - where did this burst of static come from? I'm under the impression that this is some sort of a glitch or fuck-up in the program that wasn't intended in the program, but I'm curious as to what this would entail. Could it possibly involve some kind of mass suicide or something? After all, if only fear can awaken them, then the obvious answer would involve the fear of death. I'm not entirely sure yet.

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    D

Blood for the blood... uh, queen?

^ Top  
  20. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Like the mass suicides arranged by Cyber Jack, eh?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    My thought exactly. Cyber Jack's a hacker. Who else would be planting that option?

^ Top  
  22. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Theory: the additional options are presented to us by Cyber Jack. They will significantly hasten our escape from this virtual reality (thus robbing us of precious, precious lore. Boo!), but potentially at great cost.

^ Top  
  23. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    B - We don't want to wake yet. We got ourselves in here to learn from Shulgi, so let's make the most of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I agree. Fuck that guy. I wanna actually learn what's going on.

I think it's important to keep the above quote in mind when it comes to our decisions here. If we reject the reality presented to us here and pick D, I see the worst-case scenario being an inability to distinguish reality from fantasy. So, it would be pretty bad.

As for the choice here, I'm going to assume that this is somewhat similar to a game of Civilization, but I rather like the idea of guiding our ants toward an enlightened future, as faggy as that sounds. I am aware that we're surrounded by other tribes of ants that are possibly warlike and aggressive (i.e. similar to B) but perhaps we could out-tech them? B is still a pretty good choice though.

Flop to B

^ Top  
  25. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
    I would have liked to pursue the earlier alternate route of the boy, but as long as we are here, let's go for a culture or research victory! A!

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.