Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Little did Senya know that a prideful Kaito that never got over his butthurt would later set into motion the events that culminated in extinction of the human race...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Oh, you see! You all said it was insane to kill him. Theseus number 3 (sort of).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    We could always kill him discreetly. We don't have to do it in front of others who might be shocked.

^ Top  
  4. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Well, if treave's telling us now, it's probably already too late. Didn't I tell you all you'd rue the day? Rue, I say! (p cool word, rue, imho)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Relax, treave's just trolling you. :smug:

^ Top  
  6. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
    Little did treave know, his minor trolling would set in motion enough paranoid codexian metagaming that they would later rationalize selling Senya to the masters as a tentacle body slave.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    1. A - 11, B - 3
    2. A - 9, B - 5
    3. A - 6, B - 8
    4. A - 5, B - 9

Winning combination is AABB

Quick, brief update with quick, brief choices, can't expand it as much as I'd like.

House of Knowledge

"It looks like you've done really well for yourself."

Qin's pretty face fills the view-screen. She really hasn't changed much from the time we met, but I know I'm responsible for what she is orchestrating right now.

"Speak for yourself. I heard that your name is now known across the entire League. They're going to run out of zeroes to describe your album sales quite soon." I say.

"You have kept yourself informed. I'm surprised. What else do you know about me?"

"No less than sixteen scions of Star League political dynasties have proposed to you, but you have turned them all down."

"Of course," she says fiercely. "There's only one person that I'll ever love."

I suppress the memory of her forcibly, before her face floats into my mind. I'm getting good at it. I have to, if I want to win.

"I understand. Of course, it's just the cherry atop the pudding that your indecisive behaviour has galvanized these young bucks into supporting whatever pet cause you have so as to jockey for your favour."

Qin smiles. "Young bucks? You're about their age."

"I don't jockey." I shrug.

"No, I suppose you really wouldn't, would you?"

"What's the purpose of this call, then? You should have all the political power that you need to eventually push through your plan for an autonomous Earth."

"It's not that easy," she says sadly. "The rulers of the remaining Earth cities, led by Ankida's Governor have powerful backers. The President of the Federation is one of their most ardent supporters, and the Star League's ruling council are still on her side."

"That's what it's all about, isn't it? Getting one back over the President. If you manage to achieve autonomy for the terrestrials despite her clear stand against it, you score a point off her."

"She killed Kyrie. She's lucky to get off with just political humiliation, as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, I can't touch her in any other way."

I take a deep breath.

"Yes." I lie. "She killed her. That doesn't mean you should get too personal in the matter."

"You told me you loved her," says Qin, an accusing tone creeping into her voice. "Why won't you join me?"

"I haven't decided yet. Besides, you still haven't told me why you need my help."

"Are you kidding? You're famous now - just as famous as I am amongst us Earthlings. Your organization might still be little right now, but it's touched many, many refugees in Ankida. That's the sort of thing I have been trying to do but haven't managed to achieve. You can help us sway the refugees to our side - they might not be able to vote in the coming election but the sheer momentum of having such massive numbers will be able to nudge us towards victory."

I look at the view-screen, taking in every word she says. I do not reply, however.

"Listen, I know what your group has been teaching the refugees. No gods, no masters, no fate but what you make. The Federation has its eyes on you already. I can bet Julia is up there, just waiting for you to slip up so that she can justify a few attempts on your life."

"They may think what they want." I say, though I'm quite aware of the President's recent actions to keep me encircled and vulnerable to a preemptive strike should they ever think I've become too big of a threat. It's not like I'm defenseless, though. The conversation falls silent as I think it over. After a few minutes, I give Qin my reply.

"I'll think about offering you my support. I need to observe the situation further before committing my resources."

"That sounds just like you," she sighs, "But Frommen won't wait forever. I would love your support."

"I would love to support you, but I need to balance a few considerations. I'll let you know soon, Qin. I've got an urgent message coming in, so I'll call you back after I deal with this." I say with an air of finality, as I end the conversation. I have other plans for the Presidency of the United Federation of Nations, rather than putting our lackeys on the throne. Working with Qin might be one way to accomplish it, but there are other paths I can take.

"What's the emergency, Yua?" I ask.

"It's Kaito, Master." she says. After reawakening her she had reverted into her default, original behaviour, stating that from now on she's recognized I'll do as I please, and there's no point being strict with her own Master.

"Kaito is currently surrounded, together with Rina, at a street intersection five blocks down the street here."

"What happened?"

"Reports indicate that a gang calling themselves the Serpents attempted to capture Rina for some rather unsavoury purposes. They also have a grudge against us for constantly frustrating their efforts to introduce drugs into the resident community and then refusing their offer to franchise their drug operations to us."

"I suppose they were trying to capture Rina for leverage against us, and Kaito defended her?"

"Yes, Master. He's doing quite well, according to the informant we have in the crowd that has gathered there, but he can't hold out forever. The Serpents outnumber him greatly."

"How many Serpents are there?"

"About 30, Master."

"And the crowd of onlookers?"

"321, Master. Most of them are refugees."

The Serpents, as far as I could gather from the intelligence I have received, are backed by one of the oldest cartels operating in Ankida. They are not anything to really trifle with on a whim. Still...

A. Head to intervene and begin negotiating their withdrawal. If it pans out well, I might even gain more name recognition and support for my little house of knowledge amongst the refugee crowd for my bravery in speaking up.

B. Do not intervene; I am not risking my own life for a couple of brats who are probably insignificant in the long term.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. handup Educated

handup
  9. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A

I'm not sure if xxBB was a smart choice for the last vote.

^ Top  
  10. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  11. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    B - Let them die. Their deaths will fuel the people's need for change. We can use their names as a rallying cry. For Rome it was Lucretia. For Earth it will be these two. Plus, you know, paranoia. Let Theseus 3 die and all that...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    It could be a ploy from the President to get us involved in some brawl and bust-up and make that an excuse to frame us or even arrest us. Of course, we could swoop in save the day and gain further fame amongst the refugees, but we already have their support, and taking care of thirty men in the open is a risky affair.

Tentatively B. I'm concerned about the morality aspect but it really smells like a trap.

^ Top  
  13. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Wow, there was just about no synergy whatsoever between the options we ended up picking.

I'll go with B.

^ Top  
  14. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    Something in our recent narrative seems to have gone awry :( What are our long term goals again?

A. Action vs inaction. I don't see how either choice helps us reach the presidency, take down the former empress, or take advantage of our relationship with qinny qin qin.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I was dozing off when I typed out that update. Bound to have missed a few details. You get this particular choice for not picking drug dealing and picking to help the community. The gangs see your growing influence as a threat. Obviously.

^ Top  
  16. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    No, I didn't mean that, just that things seem to have gone a little out of control already. Anyway, we want to help people, but our primary aim is to become president? Why shouldn't we be allying with Qin for our goals? Do we see her as adversarial or dangerous to work with?

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Things I should've explained more clearly in the update but was too damn tired to write:

The lack of religion means your support hasn't spread as fast as it should have, but on the other hand it means that you are not a high priority for the Federation at the moment - if they try anything, your information network will find out before their agents act. That will change when they bring in more competent personnel from off-world if you should grow more successful. Furthermore, even as a secular organization the focus has been on you, personally, due to your public leadership of the group. What this means is that rain or shine, whatever you do reflects on the organization as a whole, and vice versa. Your name and status is public. Expect everything you do to come under scrutiny.

The aid you provide is less towards doling out food and money, but more towards knowledge. Think of an order of monks instructing the illiterate on how to read and write. Well, the refugees are literate, but you do make an effort to teach them other more useful technical skills. Plumbing. Electrical works. Basic engineering. Anatomy & medicine. How to defend themselves. Of course you do give out whatever excess food that you cannot sell to the poorest of the quarter, but your aid is mainly in the form of knowledge.

Furthermore, you've already seen the first attempt to get your organization on their side. There will be more to come. When you increase your influence further, the cartel bosses will no longer be able to ignore you and will contact you directly instead of doing their dirty work through the small gangs. The Governor himself, once he takes notice of what's happening under his nose, will not stay silent either, and will surely call for a meeting to gauge which side of the fence you're on.

Then, there's the Federation and the Star League, which cannot be considered synonymous. You might do well to play one off against the other, like Qin does, when the time comes.

And finally, the ex-Emperor still commands considerable prestige and sway over the Ankidans despite having retired...

You don't need to become president if you don't want to. Qin's pet politician. The Governor. Perhaps one of the major crime bosses. Maybe even Kyrie's father. You can raise either of them to the presidency, which is possible because in their haste to escape the dying Earth Julia made a mistake in amending the laws of the Federation to stay in power. You'll be exploiting that loophole. You're not throwing in your lot with Qin just yet because it's still two months to go till the election comes and you are building up your power as the kingmaker. Sure, she might be the one with most faith in you, but it doesn't hurt to wait for the other choices to pop up (which will happen as soon as the next update, with the available options actually depending on what you pick here).

Helping people was always just the means to an end for this path we've chosen. Not the goal itself.

^ Top  
  18. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    A - since everything we do reflects on the organization as a whole. Failing to protect our people will make us appear weak. While helping them further solidifies our relationship with them AND our personal reputation as someone strong and reliable. Someone worth following.

Anyway, since we finished with Ean, this story seems to resemble Code Geass. I wonder, if we would have chosen to be in the shadows, would we have had a mask and a fake persona ?

^ Top  
  19. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  20. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    This is just all part of Kaito's nefarious scheme to get one over on us...

B

Not really
    A

^ Top  
  21. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    What happened to Esquilax and baltika? We need someone to over-theorise and make some sense of things so we can calibrate longer term decisions.

Let's keep it simple, what are our longer term goals? We voted that Senya wants power, but to what end? To set things right as much as he can, to make the best of the fucked up world? That option lost but was pretty close. What kind of organisation do we want this secular, Senya-flagged refugee patron to be? And to what end shall we direct whatever power we accrue?

For now, let's go from where we are. We've got a solid grip on refugees - who might be poor but not stupid. (@treave, re. circumstances of their becoming refugees - is this a hodgepodge of class/etc distribution back on Earth, i.e. just as likely to find a rocket scientist as a hobo, or are they demographically a slice of the 'lower' classes? What characterises them, as far as our organisation knows?) We're clearly set on the path to fight for their support/allegiance against drug gangs. One possibility is that in the 2 months we build a clear support base amongst refugees and take drug gangs out of the picture somehow, then as kingmaker raise someone to presidency and use that to give our refugees a proper home and economic/legal support - as our support base becomes richer and more powerful so will we, making us a solid and durable faction. For that, I suppose, a little risk must be taken in visibility; so flop to A. I assume our subsequent choice will then determine just how we deal with those 30 druggies.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Hodgepodge, but slanted towards the poor, the unlucky, and those unwilling to leave the planet. There can be a few hidden gems in the population. There are few adults, most of them are either very young or very old. The policy of women, children and the elderly first was ill judged in the face of possible extinction.

^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Well, that makes them not quite so valuable to hang on to in the long run, perhaps. But yes, let's talk and arrange some kind of long term guys.

^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Maybe I have no balls everywhere. Proves you wrong, shitface. Huh? Huh?? : x

^ Top  
  25. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    treave just said anything we do will come under scrutiny, ergo, we do nothing and the only ones under scrutiny are the cartel. These two are more useful dead than alive. Right now all they are is a liability.

The drug gangs think we're against them by not helping them sell drugs and that we have set the refugees against them as well for the same reason. The death of these two will actualize that and have the refugees hating the cartels. It will also generate sympathy and get popular opinion on our side. If we go in and cock it up - which we're bound to (really have you guys not figured that out yet?) - then our rep will get shafted.

Our long term goals are to take power and use it either to bring an end to the masters and their game or to see that our branch of humanity wins their game - from what I can extrapolate out of the B option we went with earlier that is. We're trying to put humanity back on the right path. What path that is is up to you bros and Senya.

I'd recommend seeking the throne for ourselves either now or a short while after making our puppet king. We're already exposed and it's the only way to insure our objectives. I'd also recommend killing Quin after she's outlived her usefulness. If she ever found out we (our other self) killed Kyrie, we'd be screwed. Beyond screwed. She might actually be the perfect candidate for a puppet. We'll kill her after the election and say it was the enemy (whatever enemy we choose - probably the former empress), then the people will want war to avenge her and so it begins...

edit: flop to A.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.