Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Rex Feral

Prophet
DBAB.

Jester

Arbiter
vote ABAB

was thinking to get 1 C but mby you are right for now we don't wish to have any major high tech opponents, better to teach our own hackers. 2 A is nice to do but after we control city and we still get some troops although less drilled. 3 better to know who, when and where can mess us up and i think that they will be given intel gather mission. 4 assassination would be nice if they were not for
top leadership of the syndicates were closely entwined with the Federation heads
that could get messy, but B lets us hit corrupted Feds without alerting their big shots, cartels, boost our respect, some disinformation (if we use those spies effectively and plant illusion of person who wish to take over as Capo) and maybe some of their cash if played well (if we "accidentally" let it slip to Feds could be advantageous).

Oh and 4 B could be seen as smokescreen for option 1 i think.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

1d is hopelessly retarded, bros. There's just no way we can do it - well, at least with 2a and 4b or 4c, there'd be a chance - but really, just how are we going to "wipe them out to a man" if we pick 2b? Are we going to do it on our own or what?

ABAC - Stable allies, keep our allies from freaking out, manipulate the federation, strike fear into the hearts of the syndicates while beefing up our allies' power (they'll probably absorb the headless organizations fairly quickly, part of why I think loyalty would be good...).

Kipeci

Arcane
My ideals choices are as follows:

1D - We've built a substantial amount of our reputation and credibility on opposing these guys while denouncing the current governor for collaborating with them, whipping up the refugees against all of that crowd. If we start cutting deals with them, all they have to do is reveal that our side smells just as bad as the other, and then where are we? We're outed out as hypocrites, right on the eve of the election. It doesn't have to be the group we ally with; if folks on the other side sense that we're taking them down, or even if someone ends up with a personal vendetta, all can be over very fast.

2B - As much fun as organizing our own private army would be, I think that attracts way too much alarm relative to the benefit we get out of it. Maybe if there was some way to keep it secret...

3A - Harem ending, guys

4B - I'm less sure about this over A, because some actual money might be nice for once. C seems incredibly likely to make us a massive target for assassinations ourselves, and who knows how those reloads will goof up the world?

I'll be voting for DBAB, but I'll admit that DAAC would be very fun if it wasn't so likely to end very badly.

Edit: I didn't see 1D so much as seriously stating that we'll wipe out everyone (it is admitted that there will always be a criminal element), but I think it's most in tone with the behavior we should follow.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
For what it's worth, 'allying' with a gang or two means that you play them up publicly as the 'good' ones who are apparently turning over a new leaf to join the voice of the people - of course, this means you'll have to keep them under control. It would be an extremely retarded move otherwise.

For what it's worth, 'allying' with a gang or two means that you play them up publicly as the 'good' ones who are apparently turning over a new leaf to join the voice of the people - of course, this means you'll have to keep them under control. .
Figured as much. With that in light, not being super aggressive sounds like another benefit of the octopi.

Is what Kipeci said about D true as well?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
D just means that you go ahead and try to defeat the syndicates without recruiting any gang factions to your side. It can be done.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
ABAC like Smashing Axe and Lambchop. Let's turn the red octopus into our loyal dogs, and then we won't need an armed force within our order. We can maintain the moral high ground (in the view of our organization) and prevent any internal conflicts.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ABAC wins.

Unseen Threat

“Preliminary polling has us ahead of Governor Camna by 3%. We’ve got this in the bag,” says Emiri with a grin. I browse through the reports that she has brought me. Everything seems to be going according to plan.

“We cannot let our guard down until every last vote is cast, sir.” Tomas interjects.

“Oh come on, don’t be a downer,” complains Emiri, casting a frown at the boy. “I’m sure our Master already knows that.”

“I do, but it is good that you have thought to remind me anyway,” I say, closing the reports. “Emiri, I’m not infallible.” She pouts her cheeks. The girl has entirely too much faith in me. My brief presence and subsequent absence from her life seems to have granted me some sort of mythical status in her mind.

I sigh and try to turn the subject to other matters.

“How is Kaito doing with the Red Octopus?” I ask.

“He is fitting in well as our representative. It appears that their ways and methods suit his personality,” replies Tomas. “The mopping-up operation is going smoothly, and the Red Octopus have succeeded in presenting a more legitimate side of themselves to the public.”

It was indeed much easier to leave the rebuilding of the underworld to the Red Octopus, who were eagerly taking over whatever remained of their rivals’ operations under my auspices. A swift series of attempted attacks on high ranking syndicate members from the strongest faction had driven them to convene a meeting at one of the hotels they owned. It was a rather majestic gathering, with more than a hundred leaders from all levels and groups and their countless aides turning up in a glorious show of force. Leave it to the old buffoons to insist on a physical gathering even in this day and age, though I must say the suspicion and paranoia I induced by the selective attacks had ensured that the head of the syndicate wanted all of the leaders there in person in order to demonstrate his control over them. Apparently they were there to demonstrate that they had no fear of us, and indeed, I heard that the first speaker gave a rather inspiring, morale-raising speech about how I would be made an example of, just like everyone who had dared crossed them for centuries. That was also the last speech made that night. I would like to say that I walked in right there and then wearing a dusty trench coat, guns akimbo, a cigarette in my mouth and stylish sunglasses worn even in the pitch black night, but in truth, I never even met them.

I merely pressed a button.

The gravity mines I had planted in the basement took care of the rest. The foundations were twisted and warped by intense gravitational forces, and the building collapsed like a house of cards. Shoddy construction, the news reported. Corrupt building practices, claimed the reporters. After all, there were no traces of explosives at the site. By the second day, news outlets friendly to my cause were claiming it as karma. Divine punishment. Criminal kingpins crushed to death in the den of sin they built upon the sweat and toil of others, through no fault of those other than themselves. Of course, it was a pity that innocent hotel workers would be caught up in the collapse, but that mattered little in the long run. At least, this was what the Ankidans told themselves. It is rather amazing what people will gloss over as long as the result satisfies them.

It had worked better than I expected – the syndicate leaders had called far too many high ranking members to the hotel, allowing me to effectively decapitate them with one fell swoop. I had planned on the hotel collapse being the opening act of a long and brutal campaign but it turned out to be the curtain call on the syndicates’ stranglehold over the Ankidan economy. All that was left then, was for the Red Octopus, conveniently absent, to swoop in and consolidate their power amongst the tattered, leaderless remnants of the syndicate. I am sure history will look upon this incident with suspicious eyes, but for now the public are sated with the idea of divine justice. While the Red Octopus took over, I kept myself busy by playing up their reputation as legitimate businessmen wanting to clean up the city’s trade, now working with the Order of Pithos to help smooth the transition after the syndicates’ crippling loss. It helped that the Red Octopus had a big hard-on for honour, and usually dealt with people fairly – well, more fairly than the rest of the gangs, at any rate.

“Master, the three spies are waiting to meet with you,” reminds Yua. They are early. Spikey, Log, and Sharkskin – the three agents that the Federation had sent to support Twintails. They had remained somewhat remote from the organization since their arrival, opting instead to observe instead of participate. That had not slipped my attention, but I could not do anything about it without drawing more suspicion to myself. It looks like there is a spymaster in the Federation who is being more cautious than I predicted.

“Emiri, Tomas, I need the both of you to continue working on organizing Iannes’s big rally in the commercial quarter in two days’ time. Meet up with Twintails near the market, she’s getting some information on security detail.” I give them their instructions and send them out of the room. It doesn’t take long before the three agents enter, having waited patiently until Emiri and Tomas had left.

Their codenames reflected their personal appearance somewhat. Spiky hair, a man built like a log, and another one with really rough skin. They would really make poor spies, considering how much they stand out to me. I’m starting to wonder if some other more non-descript infiltrators had managed to slip into my organization, while I was being distracted by these three. Now that the syndicates were no longer an issue, I would have to devote my information network towards ferreting out any internal threats.

“It looks like you are on track to winning the election by a slight margin, Mr. Hoshikawa,” says Spikey, the spokesperson of the group. They haven’t talked to me much before this – in fact they actively kept away from me, merely concentrating on gathering information in the city. I helped them as little as I could, and extracted whatever useful information from them that I could, but in the end I had to conclude their presence was more of a threat than a boon. From them I had deduced that their organization probably reported directly to Julia’s office, they were hell-bent on keeping Camna in power, and that their resources far out-stripped my own, but that wasn’t anything I didn’t already expect.

“Perhaps. It’s too early to call. How’s work going for you three?” I smile, knowing full well that they haven’t really done any work at all.

“Oh, it’s going well, it is. Now, I’m just wondering… you were telling Twintails that you’re doing this for the good of the Federation, right?”

I nod.

“Our higher-ups think that the Governor is acting more for the good of the Federation. Iannes and the policies he – you – propose would be bad. Real bad.”

I begin to talk, but Spikey cuts me off with a wave of his hand.

“No, no, no, I’m not here to debate policy, Mr. Hoshikawa. That’s not my job.”

I give him a frown, my fingers tapping the armrest. “My higher-ups think that the Governor has hurt the Federation, actually. They believe a controlled effort for change will be better for us all, which is why I am here.”

“Are you now? Is that really why you are here?”

I don’t like that cold, serpentine smile on Spikey’s face.

“Why else would I be here?”

“True, why else would you be here? You know, you’re a real idealist, Mr. Hoshikawa.”

“I’m afraid it comes with the job. You know, fighting for truth, justice and the Federation way.”

Log gives a loud, snorting laugh and I smile abashedly at him.

“You’re really devoted, Mr. Hoshikawa,” says Spikey. “I like you.”

“I really like you guys too,” I grin.

“You know, I think I can be convinced that you really do want to help the Federation. At least, our observations show that you have a real desire to aid the people.”

“That’s what I’ve been telling you all along.” I shrug. I’ve managed to keep my movements against the syndicate a secret – no one on my side except for Yua even knows I was responsible for the hotel’s collapse.

“You want to know a sure-fire way to winning the election, then?”

“Hey now, I thought your higher-ups wanted the Governor to win,” I laugh. “Are you sure you should be telling me this?”

“In the spirit of cooperation in the field, Mr. Hoshikawa. Us field agents have a rather flexible world-view compared to the desk jockeys commanding us.” He seems cheerful enough, but I pick up on a tiny amount of resentment leaking out from his body language.

“What would you propose I do?”

“It’s simple. We bomb the rally in two days’ time and blame it on the Governor. We just need to find some patsies stupid enough to do it. This late into the election, he won’t have enough time to rebut your allegations.”

“A false-flag operation, eh?” I muse. We had planned for perhaps twenty thousand, maybe thirty thousand to attend the gathering. Depending on the explosives used, it was very likely that thousands could be killed. “I suppose you would volunteer to undertake the operation?” Spikey nods, a slimy smile on his lips. “Think of it as a token of our good faith.”

I look into Spikey’s eyes. This is a test. I am sure of it. If I reject his proposal, the worst might happen – he and his friends would probably attempt to dispose of me on the spot, declaring me a traitor to the Federation. If I accept, on the other hand, there is a good chance that they could finger me for this later on. I tap my armrest again.

A. I may not like being put into this situation, but that does not mean this is not a good plan. I have already drawn up contingency plans for such an event had I found Iannes's ratings to be falling behind that of Camna's anyway. I will execute the plan - as long as I play it smart I will reap all of the benefits and none of the fallout.

1. I maintain direct control of this operation. It is the only way to ensure everything is executed properly, to my specifications.

2. I allow Spikey to have direct control of the operation. He seems to have a slight bit of resentment towards his masters - I should be able to sway him by putting trust in him.

B. There is too much risk in doing this, especially when I'm already ahead. On the other hand, even a failed attempt to bomb the gathering can be linked back to the Governor and the Federation. I lie to them, promising to do the deed.

1. I allow the plot to proceed almost unimpeded until the day of the rally itself, where I will then catch the perpetrators red-handed. It should be a lot easier to whip the crowd into a frenzy again when I can show them the evidence on-stage.

2. I ambush the trio in a place of my choosing, at a time of my choosing. I won't let them force me into a fight here - when it happens it will be on my own terms. This will interrupt their plot early on, but if I'm lucky I should be able to capture them alive and give me both interrogation subjects and a handy scapegoat for many, many matters.

C. If they think they can push me around, they are mistaken. They may be prepared for a fight right now, but they have no idea what I am actually capable of. It will be difficult to capture them in such close quarters, and so I will not even bother. I have no qualms staining my hands with their blood - what is three more, in such circumstances - and they will die. Regardless of how it ends up, that I can be certain of.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ouch, all of these options sound terrible. Looks like ABBC might have been better overall. I'm tempted to vote C right now, but I don't know if we'll be capable of fighting them off. I can't honestly see how A or B would turn-out well for us, it seems like we'd be playing dead into their hands. We've already been told that they want Canma to win, just how will A or B help them, unless they're looking for something to hold over us?

That said, letting them think they've the edge over us could play to our advantage. If they think they have us cowed with blackmail, they might start supporting us, since we can be "controlled" as an agent. Will think more on this before voting.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not sure, with all the multiple things Senya has to manage already - you guys want to keep the organization respectable yet do dirty deeds (i.e assassination) means he has had to perform most of the heavy lifting in secret - how you guys thought inviting more vipers into the bosom was going to pan out well. :troll:

Jester

Arbiter
ehhh i expected some tasteful chess game of disinformation, not bunch of tugs. To much British agent films i think. Hmm each of this options can be a landmine.
C is attempt to convince them that such act is far to risky to do right before election and fight if that fail or smt along line "you sick bunch of monsters feel my divine wrath"?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bear in mind that your position is already well known in the Federation higher-ups thanks to your rather public stance. They have no confusion as to whose side you are on (not theirs), so whatever misinformation campaign you think you can wage really wasn't going to be too effective once it filters back up top anyway. The most you could have done was to deceive them about your actions towards the syndicates - which you successfully did. Besides that, there really is no point deceiving the Federation, if you think about it carefully. They already know you're out to get them (Julia, in fact, is absolutely convinced, given your history and the fact that you just recruited the Emperor to your cause), and it doesn't cost them anything to assume you're not lying about that, and will therefore be lying about everything else. Remember that you guys collectively voted for a public persona act. That definitely limits the amount of skullduggery you can indulge in efficiently.

There will be no convincing these 'thugs'. They have received their orders from their spymaster and they have a certain goal in mind. The question is whether you have to reject them outright, or if they really do mean it, or if there's a way to turn this around on them.

Tigranes

Arcane
I suppose they are too skilled for us to try and assassinate them after agreeing to A, and getting them caught is probably too risky for us also.

B is the worst of all because it's asking for us to go on front page of all the papers with a bomb in our hands. We have to commit to something. And it should be C - because we can never fool the federation anyway, even in the very doubtful case that we aren't found out, we use it to win the election, and we gain 3 new agents, it's not worth it. Hopefully we won't end up maimed or kidnapped or anything, and this could be used to sow further doubt in Twintails.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, are we
A, ruthless and ambitious (bordering on villanous)
B, ruthless, but still empathic; willing to submerge ourselves even deeper in the filth to win(dark avenger type?)
C, idealistic, possibly foolishly so (Ean, just without super-strength, but happily, with regeneration, at least up until a point..)

I'm not sure.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
Let's do C and try to salvage our control of the situation. Besides, we want to keep all the skullduggery to ourselves right? Even if we were to do a bombing, nobody else living should know if it. And we probably have less violent/overtly villainous means of public persuasion.

We could frame one of Camna's closest advisors as being involved with the syndicates, or of stealing vast sums of money in a Ponzi scheme, or of murdering his ex-wife twenty years ago or something. They still won't have time to respond effectively. Or we could set up some situation where Camna says something that makes him look like an insensitive jerk or buffoon to the regular people, secretly record it, then make it news.

C - An assassination attempt by the Federation will be even better for our cause than the bombing. Well, if we win... Apart from that, A sounds like it might pan out better than B, but I don't know...

Rex Feral

Prophet
C>B>A.

B is probably the most intelligent option, however. I'm going with C only because I hate killing innocents and would love to kill these 3 clowns.

B2

Kipeci

Arcane
We're not, but we get to reload if we die provided that Cthulu doesn't eat our soul or something, and the other options will screw us over very badly if they decide to rat us out.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I just don't see how we could survive in C. And B will have greater risk of blowing to our face. So A. This buys us time to complete the suit and come up plans to get rid of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom