Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Guys? We're not playing Ean anymore...
True, but how are we going to win with A or B either? B is the worst option by far in my opinion. Like the guy said: he needs a patsy stupid enough to do it. B would make us into that. Talk about being caught red handed if/when they rat us out. A gives them the opportunity to frame us, maybe there's a way to turn it around on them, but from the wording of the choice it sounds like we're trusting him to actually carry out everything. C is extremely risky. I don't think we can win without the suit. Even with it the suit will be a tough fight, but C still seems least likely to lose us the election.

My main problem with the other two choices is that they both are worded in a way that makes it sound like we plan to follow through with all this and not to simply double-cross them later.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh Shulgi, why didn't you ever talk to us, why did you never communicate with us? Man, we could have done such great things together, oh what could have been.

You guys blew it, you had the chance to become a God and you threw it away, you ahd the chance to create the Skitarii and you dismissed it. You guys suck.

Instead, you want to be a second-rate Lenin knock-off (Yes, Senya's speeches remind me of this guy
prizyvvogdja.jpg

all he's missing is excessive use of the words "comrade" and "proletariat.")
Most of all, you let Kyrie die (is this a conspiracy that none of our heroes can have happy endings?)

What a mess you made.

B: a chance like this is too sweet to pass up and since we're playing with predators over here, we must be bold and move faster and more agressively than they do, they up the plank two notches, we jump twenty and give them no opportunity to catch up. Our reputation and organization are above reproach, have fun ruining it.

Baltika9

Arcane
All-in-all, I think our ultimate goal should be to channel this Order of ours to more biomechanical ends and bring out the genes Ean left in Man (it's still in it's infancy, so I bet we'll be able to compensate for not picking the Skitarii earlier). Honestly, it is our only chance to reverse the power balance here and make all of our enslaved spacer brethren to come back home (or, better yet, become sleeper agents inside the Star League and walk away with all their "gold" once our plans are set in motion. Jews in Egypt, anyone?), short of playing a large-scale game of politics for an indefinite amount of time.
Fuck that, Terran supremacy is the only way.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Guys? We're not playing Ean anymore...
My main problem with the other two choices is that they both are worded in a way that makes it sound like we plan to follow through with all this and not to simply double-cross them later.

You make a good point. Let me revise the choices to account for the possible variations.

edit: Done. Do review the choices and make the changes accordingly.

Anabanana

Augur
Eehhh, I didn't want assassination, but you make do with what you can.

I'll vote for B2 as well.

EDIT: Will flop to B1 or C, whichever is higher, if any of the A options are winning.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B1 - Much better options now. I kind of like the idea of pinning the explosion all on the federation, although I can't help but wonder what other ulterior motives lay behind their proposal, and whether acting in this way would disrupt what they actually have planned. B2 seems good, but I think they'd have already accounted for such an eventuality, which makes me hesitant to embrace it.

Don't forget what treave said about our public image and how it limits our potential for skullduggery too.

Jester

Arbiter
B2
divide and conquer still if they will get pawns we should make sure that they aren't convinced that we are preparator. I would do that to screw politic.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B2 - Senya is a great planner. Not a great improviser though. It's kinda how we built him from the beginning. Let's play to his strengths and let him plan, rather than leaving everything til the last minute when who knows what could happen, rushing in head on, or falling into the plan of someone else.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just seems... too conveniently designed to address all of our fears, B2. Somehow I feel like the moment we accept is the moment they have the upper hand, we have no idea how skilled this trio is, but given the Federation's concerns about us they are probably at least a handful.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B feels too easy, too good to be true. And getting rid of the trio means that next time there will be more than three assassins and they will be more deadly. A2.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
Flip to B2! Misleading your enemies before killing them >>>>> aiding them in politicized mass murder of random civilians.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B2 victory, I suppose. Hm.

Ambush

The suit I’ve built is really little more than a scaled down combat-frame made to fit a human body. Instead of relying mainly on CNT fibres for limb locomotion, it enhances human movement to a degree that even a normal, unaugmented human like me would be able to keep up with the overwhelmingly fast and strong cyborgs employed by the Federation. The power generated by the black hole engine is considerable, giving me an output surpassing that of most second and third-generation CFs in a handy, man-sized package. Of course, handling that amount of power in such a small frame would tear most people apart from the G-forces. Thankfully, the black hole technology should also allow me to create miniature inertial dampeners to minimize the strain on my body.

Should is the operative word here.

The suit is, sadly, functional yet incomplete. Besides the inertial dampeners, I am still missing vital systems like distortion shielding and graviton beams – it had been a rather productive month in terms of theoretical progress, with new breakthroughs floating into my mind as if I already knew of them, but I had no time to fully implement everything I wanted in the suit. Furthermore, the CNT parts I could obtain were designed for movement, not woven for defense, and even with the ablative alloy plating I had slapped over the suit, it wasn’t as protective as I would have liked.

Facing her, that could mean the difference between life and death.

“This is a good night to be out walking,” smiles the woman, as she turns her head towards where I had been lying in wait. The haze that shrouded the night sky had parted with her arrival, revealing the gleaming twin moons. “Don’t you think so, Hoshikawa Senya?”

There is no point in hiding, Hoshikawa. The voice that had revealed itself briefly during my scuffle with Twintails speaks to me. It is right; there is no more point in hiding. I reveal myself, feeling slightly self-conscious of the armour I had clad myself in. “Master, are you sure about this?” says Yua worriedly. I shush her and respond to the woman. “It is a better night for fishing. The bright moonlight lures plenty of catch to the surface.”

“What did you hope to catch here? Three little herrings?” Her smile is full of teeth. It is a predator’s smile.

“I will make do with a shark.”

“You know who I am, then?”

“I know what you are, at least.” I say, mentally checking my weapons systems. I knew what she was the moment she appeared on the bluffs, her long dark hair catching the silvery light. The woman is as beautiful as any I have ever seen, though there is something artificial about her looks. Her dress is clearly that of the Star League – refined and elegant, with silken sleeves that stretched over the wrist. The braids on her shoulder identify her as a high-ranking member of the Star League military – I am quite sure it is the equivalent of a colonel in the Federation forces. That she is here, when I had expected to find Spikey, Log and Sharkskin, means that she is linked with them in some way. As she clearly outranks them, they are probably her subordinates. Lastly, her presence is of a type I have only seen once before… with Shulgi.

She is an immortal.

“Oh? What am I, then?”

“A Federation spymaster under Star League command, it seems. You make no show of hiding your allegiance.”

The woman laughs. She looks to be about my age, but her eyes tell a different story – I am certain she has lived many of my lifetimes.

“Well, I suppose you are correct, in a way. I must say, I didn’t expect you to track down the supply cache they had hidden here, all the way out of the city,” she remarks. “You even knew when they were going to return here for more supplies.”

“The materials they need for their bombing plan aren’t available in the city. If they seemed confident that they could carry it out, they must have supplies elsewhere. This was one of the more suitable locations to stash their cache. Where are they, by the way? They don’t seem to be around here.” I ask.

“Don’t worry, they are no longer here. They have served their purpose.”

“Please don’t tell me you set all of this up to talk to me.”

“What if I did?” Her eyes twinkle mischievously, but I only sigh.

“You could have tried asking. Do all of you immortals love your petty little games so much? What would you have done if I didn’t choose to do this?”

“You would have had to deal with an explosion on your hands. That too would be amusing to watch. Thankfully, you are not the bloodthirsty sort to cut down blackmailers where they stand. That wouldn’t be any fun. Toying with primitive mortals like you is just so entertaining, don’t you think?” Her laugh conveys all of the disdain she feels for me. “I do find it amusing that you twist and squirm in your short-sightedness, just to end up doing exactly what I want anyway. “

“And what is it, exactly, that you want?” My patience is wearing thin, and this woman’s arrogance is not helping matters. I have been seeing Kyrie standing at the edge of the bluffs since I came here, and the visage is not going away no matter how many times I blink. I’m finding it hard to keep my temper under control.

“I just wanted to see if you were a threat to us. This world’s protector seemed to have taken a bit of an interest in you prior to his downfall. We were quite surprised when you re-emerged… we wanted to see what you were planning. Well, looking at you, in that silly get-up, I can only conclude that you are no threat to us,” she giggles. “We’ll let you have your fun with the city elections.”

“The Federation appears to think otherwise,” I say in a measured manner.

“What President Julia thinks does not concern the Council overly much. This is just one world, and we have to guard a million stars.”

“Apparently the Mushuszu Empire does not think that way.”

At that, she raises an eyebrow. “Hm? Why do you say that?”

I remember the information I had received about the eternal war between the League and the Empire. “Aren’t they throwing thousands of ships at your forces just to break through to Earth? They seem to consider this planet important.”

“That’s just a foolish fancy of their Emperor. He has some sort of sentimental history with this place, and wants to devour it whole to complete himself. We are the only thing standing between Earth and the Empire. Do not make the mistake of thinking they can be your ally,” warns the woman sternly, all of her playful arrogance gone in a flash.

“Of course not,” I demur. “You would know best.”

“Of course I do. Hm, you have not yet asked for my name, Hoshikawa. Are you not interested in knowing it?”

I stare at her. Of course, she is an immortal. When I fought Shulgi, I could see no lines in him. He was an eternal existence… or so he claimed.

Yet now, I see the lines floating over her. They are faint, but there nonetheless. The lines exist now because I understand the fundamental method behind the making of these immortals – they are the same nanomachines that flow through my body, the ones that Shulgi gave to me.

A very astute observation, Hoshikawa.

“Your name…” I murmur.

“Yes, my name. Shall I tell it to you?” she grins. She still thinks of all this as a game, where her actions will never have consequences that affect her…

A. I play nice with the immortal. It is not every day I get to meet one. Playing on her love of games, if I can manage to get her on my side she will be a powerful if capricious ally. As long as I can provide her with entertainment, I have a powerful patron which will support my take-over of the Federation. After that, well… there will be counter-measures I can take against her should she attempt betrayal.

B. I ignore the immortal and walk away. I have no interest in participating in her silly games, nor do I wish to gain her favour. She has revealed her existence out of over-confidence. Hopefully she will not interfere further in the near future, but for now I should focus on making sure the rest of my plan runs to fruition, as well as prepare further plots now that I know that the Star League immortals have noticed me.

C. I came here prepared for a fight, and it would be a shame if I returned home without engaging in one - after all, I did design the suit to fight superhumans. If I manage to trace her lines, I will inflict a wound that her regeneration cannot fix. She does not know what I am capable of – I can take her by surprise right here and now. After all, there’s a glass jar in my study just begging for a living head to inhabit it…

D. I attempt the same thing I almost did to Shulgi five years ago – I reach out to that long forgotten thing, through the crack between dimensions, and wipe this immortal from existence. That is the safest and easiest way to get rid of her. I would be less one enemy when I finally decide to take on the Star League. I don't really care for whatever consequences that may come - it will only pave my path to power.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yet now, I see the lines floating over her. They are faint, but there nonetheless. The lines exist now because I understand the fundamental method behind the making of these immortals – they are the same nanomachines that flow through my body, the ones that Shulgi gave to me.
She doesn't appear to be a threat to us, and I don't see the advantage to us in destroying her yet. That rules out C and D for me. A and B I could go either way, but I'm going to go with A for now, simply because it's the only choice that seems to offer us something to advance our position.

Also... are we immortal now? It seems like we have a new set of voices, namely, Shulgi. Did he transform a part of himself into a power giving entity (Or Ean?)? It's cool that Ean and the rest of the immortals were simply empowered with nanomachines. I like that sort of thematic combination with ancient civilisations.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Great update! So the emperor of Mushuszu Empire is Marduk, Zeus or Ares.

The suit isn't ready yet so if combat is avoidable we should do so. I see no harm in participating in her games. This way we gain valuable intel about her and the League, which we can later use if we run into similar situation as with the trio.

A.

Tigranes

Arcane
I find our Senya-era bandwagoning disturbing. We clearly need more Esquilax, Baltika9 and that all-knowing dude with the cat avatar.

That said, attacking now seems pretty gormless. B, since (1) she might actually be a little more interested in us if we play hard to get, (2) she's given us the space to finish our plans for the election, so we should focus on that.

Kayerts

Arcane
Now we know why the Star League bans nanotech.

This chick seems like a junior immortal, i.e. not important enough to be worth killing. Also, being junior means that she has superiors she wants to impress, which, as an impressive curiosity, Senya can probably manipulate. Moreover, talking with her seems to trigger the voices Shulgi stuck in our head, and that seems helpful.

A

Kipeci

Arcane
I know that A and B might be sensible, reasonable courses of action, and I can see how one might think that C is too aggressive.

But to speak honestly, I simply can't vote for any option but C. It's everything I've been devastated to lose since that dreadful mistake with Sekhenun, with the exception of that pet sphere that we're surely going to get any minute now.

Can you bros really vote for anything else?

Kayerts

Arcane
Impulse control, bro. What we got here may be a higher-up in the Star League's army, but the immortals running the show are unlikely to have one of their really important members as a lowly colonel, running black ops on some backwater planet. In the immortal hierarchy, this chick is a foot soldier. We gotta save our jars for the bros running this show, i.e. the Council of Nine or their direct subordinates.

Studies show that nihilistic supermen who learn to delay gratification tend to be more successful later in life, as indicated by such metrics as educational attainment, future earnings, ability to dethrone the ruling gods of the galaxy and reign supreme over a billion worlds, and BMI. In short, wasting a jar on some junior immortal will turn Senya into a fatty.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Next time we get a power augmentation option, would we choose the nanomachine route, knowing that'd unlock more Immortal powers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom