Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    hmm i wonder if we cut the lash will he get psy feedback and how severe will it be.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Fight or Flight

As the hours tick away, I begin to perceive Adrahasis’s presence through the lines. From what I have felt of his powers, I now know it has a limit - the lines can be stretched too thin and snap should the target move too far, but right now we are anything but too far. The lines begin to thicken and shorten as he draws closer with his fleet.

Two cruisers? I never believed a word of that, especially after I found out that part of the reason he was here was to capture an asteroid.

That is no easy task – considering that the cult was still armed when it fled Earth space, the Apophis could have been remodelled into a mobile space fortress much the same as the Gate of Ean. Two cruisers would never be sufficient to take it. I suspected there should be at least twenty ships – enough to reduce the asteroid into rubble if capturing it fails. However, they would not arrive all at once.

I can feel Adrahasis’s approach slowing. My continued presence here has made him cautious. If he slows down now he will not arrive in time to prevent me from meeting up with Rei.

That is all I need.

Three hours before the expected arrival of the Empire, we make contact with the Apophis.

The asteroid is preceded by an advance force of two small scout ships, larger and more self-reliant than a shuttle yet smaller than a cruiser. We make our presence known to them, informing the scouts that the Messiah’s brother would like to speak to her. Within minutes, Rei’s face had popped up on the screen. She hasn’t changed much - her clothes are less resplendent nowadays, and there’s a bit more worry in her face, but her poise is still as striking as ever.

“Hey there, sis.”

“So, you haved awakened.” She seems slightly happy to see me, but not overly enthused about it.

“I’ve stopped sleeping,” I correct her with a sly smile. “Awakening is something that I should do at a rather more dramatic point in the story. Anyway, shouldn’t you be more surprised to see me here?”

“I received a message that you would likely be here.”

“Who did you get it from?”

“Ah…” Her eyes dart downwards for a second. “That’s not important. I was only told that you would be here, not why.”

“The why is a rather lengthy story, but I can tell you what is going to happen right now.” I nod confidently. “Shortly, there will be an explosion in that direction-“ I wave my arm vaguely to my right, and right on cue, there is a flash of light. “-which means that the Mushuszu Empire’s scouts have run right into our proximity mines. The main fleet should be along in another two hours. They’ll have at least twenty warships with them, and they are after you.”

Rei frowns and turns to bark some orders at some offscreen underling.

“Why would they be after us – oh.” Her frown deepens into a scowl. “The Messenger. On our journey I’ve heard rumours that there was this emperor taking an interest in her whereabouts.”

“Is she still with you?” I ask.

“Yes, she’s working with us. The cultists needed something to believe in, and after what happened to Earth… she made herself that focus of belief.”

I don’t like the sound of that. “What about you? I thought they worshipped you.”

“My failure to prevent you from bringing about the apocalypse shook their faith in me. You… don’t remember what you did to them and Mother?”

“No. Was it bloody?”

She nods. “Let’s just say that they were extremely panicked when they called me up just now saying that you were here. The scouts thought you had come to finish the job.”

“Oh.”

“I am still in charge of things on the asteroid, but the Messenger helps to keep their spirits up. Without her, they would have fallen into despair long ago.”

“That sounds a bit too good to be true. Are you sure you can trust her?”

“I’m not sure, but it is all I can do for my people. Now, what are we going to do about the enemy fleet? I hope you understand that I am not going to surrender to them.”

“What forces do you have there?”

“Not much – just four scout ships, a single cruiser and one CF.”

“That’s not much. A head-on battle would be suicide. I could bring us out of here with a wormhole, but with the amount of energy I have it wouldn’t be stable enough to allow a ship or an entire asteroid to pass – only a single CF.

“Then you should escape from here,” says Rei firmly. “This is not your fight.”

"I can't abandon my friends," I say without batting an eyelash. Of course, if Mere Tarliss even thinks I'm going to abandon her odds are I won't survive to get to killed by Adrahasis. The White Fang would cheerfully join in too, so there would be no help from that quarter.

“Wait, you say that you don’t have enough energy to stabilize the wormhole?”

“Yeah. The reactor isn’t fully charged up yet.”

“Tell me how it works. Quickly.”

I spend the next few minutes explaining the black hole generator to her. When I’ve finished, she gives a tight smile.

“I think I can charge your generator with energy.”

“You can- what?”

“I can create energy. Given what you’ve just told me, I should be able to help you create a wormhole large enough for the asteroid to pass through.”

“That’s…” Well, it looks like someone’s been growing by leaps and bounds. I almost feel inadequate. “That is an option.” I wonder if I should take it. If she can charge it enough for me to create a wormhole that size, I can also do something else with all that power…

A. Work together with Rei to create a wormhole stable enough for the Independent Spirit of Adventure and the Apophis to pass through. This is the safest and most reliable way to ensure our escape.

BLACK HOLE CANNON. I'll wipe out their fleet with one shot. *evil laughter*

C. Attempt to negotiate with the Empire to surrender the Messenger in return for safe passage. I am not obligated to protect her, and if it is just the Gieloth that they want they are welcome to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Brownie points!

Time to put some trust in sis, buddy up and save everyone! Yeah.

Although that black hole cannon sounds wonderful as well, I'd rather not we tip Senya's hand about that just yet.

A

^ Top  
  4. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    C brings us into unnecessary conflict with Rei. She has need of the Messenger in order to properly run the Cult, and the whole deal they have between them seems stable, at least for now. It's right out.

B sounds cool, but Rei is the essence of creation. I'm not sure she'd like her powers to be used destructively, or, for that matter, is it at all possible to use them destructively. I'd like to try it, but I've no idea if it will work.

A means we'll be bringing the last? Gieloth into the wormhole, where the Master could reach it (though, for all we know, they might as well be able reach her in normal space anyway). I'm not sure we should be trying it, with the Messenger's safety in mind.

I will hear your arguments for A or B guys.

^ Top  
  5. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    A, but what about those strings, treave? Can we choose to cut them before entering the wormhole? I'd rather not have a certain gentleman follow the strings back and make an alliance with our enemy...

B sounds cool, but what happens if more ships are coming from the OTHER DIRECTION? We'd have expended our one shot and we'd be toast.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You could cut the strings, but it would be rather pointless since his perception can't stretch past the wormhole.

As for the cannon, wiping out an entire fleet tends to do wonders for the enemy's morale. Obviously you're not so stupid as to prematurely blow your shot.

^ Top  
  7. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    B sounds more like Backfire.

Although I wished we could have saved Kyrie and the rest of Mere's crew, right now, A sounds like the best option.

I'm not even considering C.

^ Top  
  8. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Ok, then screw safe and reliable. Let's do the thing we're best at: destroying EVERYTHING.

BLACK HOLE GUN.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Funny how things turn out. We came up here to gain support from the military but what happens is that between Senya, the White Fang and the cult remnants we've pretty much completed the "Public Enemy No.1 of the Shinar/Federation", Greatest Hits Redux.

I can't imagine how President Julia will react if/when we make it back.

No wait, I'm the writer, of course I can. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    It'll be GLORIOUS!! :yeah:

^ Top  
  11. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana

And a damned fine one at that, treave bro. :bro:

Also aaaarggghh so tempted to just go BLACK HOLE CANNON but nah, working together with sis to make wormholes is cool. A.

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'm sorry pragmatists, but... well, a black hole cannon is just too cool.

B

^ Top  
  13. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Maybe D - ask what the others think and make an informed decision for a change? Maybe we could haggle with Traliss a bit and do what she wants in exchange for some kind of a favor? Political protection from the Federation, or something?

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    What Tarliss wants = Vajra pieces, or failing that a safe exit from Imperial space.

She was never hoping for the former after her mission went awry, and you've passed the deadline to be able to reprise that mission successfully.

You can achieve the latter by:

A - running
    B - fighting
    C - negotiating

As long as she returns in one piece she will be grateful and you will have leverage.

None of the others will be able to offer you any more advice considering that you roped them in for a covert rescue mission and all of a sudden you're ramming warships and sassing deities of the Empire. Everything is off the tracks. They don't know what to expect anymore. You are the most informed one of the bunch already, you can't get any more informed than this by talking to them.

^ Top  
  15. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Arright, B. This wil allow us to rescue Twintails once the Imperial fleet is off the map.

^ Top  
  16. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral

When you put it like that...meh, B.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Hopefully with an aneurysm, which will save us a lot of trouble.

Can't we try to persuade Rei to help us with Black Hole Cannon, straight-up, instead of duping her into it?
    If she says no, fine, teleport outta here, but why must we lie to her? Remember, she was a soldier once, too, so she may undrerstand the necessity.

^ Top  
  18. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    This. Very much this.

^ Top  
  19. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral

+1

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Who said anything about lying to her? o_O

Why would she care about the lives of the Imperial soldiers?

^ Top  
  21. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    That's kinda like it sounded. If that's not the case, even better!

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, you haven't brought up the black hole cannon option to her yet in the update, but I can seriously see no reason why she'd say no, given that you're the one who knows all about this tech and she doesn't. She'll take your word for it. She's supplying the energy, whether you use it to flee immediately or darken the light of the Empire by snuffing out their suns hardly matters to her, as long as you don't touch the cultists.

The massacre of the cult and subsequent harsh exile has made her a bit more insular in her faith (it was a pretty radical massacre. Rejoicing in rains of blood and all that. Damaged her psyche a bit to watch it) She's a bit less accommodating of non-believers nowadays, though she tries to keep those thoughts to herself.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, that was my confusion. I must appraise this more, since nothing ever comes free. Going for the "lol, BLACK HOLEZ CANNON!" option is liable to have consequences.

...like the "THUNDERDTRUCK!" option I flopped to at Olympus, even though Brosquilax and I worked out a wonderful plan.

Sure, cheap laughs, but I regreted it ever since.

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It was awesome at the time. :lol:

^ Top  
  25. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    I take it B wins...I have a bad feeling about this.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.