Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Kipeci

Arcane
Anyway, why aren't we assuming that Senya will take the head with him, again? He's supposed to be some kind of genius, I'd assume that he'd take the necessary measures to not have his crew enslaved by a head, whether he takes it with him through the ship or about shatters the skull.

By the way, I have a question on immortals. What determines the piece of the immortal that is sustained by the nanomachines so that tissue is regenerated from that piece? If I'm thinking correctly, an immortal who lost his arm could grow it back, or an immortal reduced to one arm could regenerate from it into a full being. What would stop an immortal from lopping off their arm and having both regenerate so that there are two immortals running around?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sense of self, unique identity preventing replication. That's as much as I can go into without spoilers.

Baltika9

Arcane
I wonder if Senya's leadership will leave a mark on the Fleet's doctrine: for instance, making the ramming/boarding maneuver and specialy trained boarding troops a viable tactic to be used by our forces?

On that note, is our experimental power armor durable enough to be employed in an orbital drop (probably stupid question, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway)?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not with freefall, but you have enough gravity control to make a controlled reentry. Better materials science will solve that, but even if the suit survives they're going to have to pour what's left of you out of it afterwards.

No one is going to design ships for ramming or make that actual doctrine. It's simply too much risk with too little payoff for the average captain and easily counterable when spammed. Why go to extreme risk to board ships when you and your fleet could blow them to kingdom come? There will be so few scenarios where ramming is useful that the military is not going to waste time designing equipment and tactics around it.

Minus some lunatics, of course.

Baltika9

Arcane
This is tempting me to push for the creation of the "1st Close Assault Detachment, Independent Terran Fleet" with Rear Admiral Garland in charge. Only lunatics and convicts need apply.
Maybe not with actual ships, though. Create custom shuttles specially designed for boarding parties with drill noses to assist breching?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

This is tempting me to push for the creation of the "1st Close Assault Detachment, Independent Terran Fleet" with Rear Admiral Garland in charge. Only lunatics and convicts need apply.
Maybe not with actual ships, though. Create custom shuttles specially designed for boarding parties with drill noses to assist breching?
Admiral? I rather think our good captain's love of ramming disqualifies him for high rank...

Officer Kif: Enemy scout approaching. They'll be no no match for our weapons. Gunnery, prepare to open fi--
Admiral Garland: Ram them.
Officer Kif: What? But, sir, the vessel is 1/2th our size and unarmed. Don't you think we should try conventional warfare before we--
Admiral Garland: Signal the fleet, Kif. Tell them... To Ram them too...
Officer Kif: *sigh*

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, not by himself, no. But I could see it working as an element of a larger fleet. True, boarding maneuvers can be easily intercepted by themselves, but let's see the enemy try to gun down small boarding shuttles carrying ten to twenty marines, supported by fighters, CFs and battleships and coordinated by Generalissimo/Admiralissimo Senya Hoshikawa... who is part of said boarding party.

:yeah:
Edit: but that all hinges on us making it out in one piece, with Tarliss and Twintails alive.
Edit 2: and Erek Dunamis as the head honcho of Ean's Marines.

Jester

Arbiter
Erek long term underling? Neh that wont work i think.

As for vote BA

I think that not killing immortal will backfire only if Senya isn't close to cut his mental assault but i prefer reliability of non organic source of information so database it is. Hmm i assume that the Kyrie vision is on our side, we did see her before Master understood that Senya exist didn't we? So its unlikely that masters are baiting us. Mby she is some kind of self manifestation (of true kyrie we killed) I expect that rewind mechanics could made it possible. Although i cant tell.

Anabanana

Augur
Yeah, this should pretty much be a choice between getting the datacube info (BA) and getting info from the head jar (AB) - we can't be greedy and choose both, or it'll most definitely backfire on us, without Senya around to control the immortal's psionics.

I'll wait a bit to vote, but it'll most likely be whatever option is closest to beating BB at that point.

Baltika9

Arcane
Speaking of Tactics and Doctrine, how does the Independent Fleet fight? What about the 170 soldiers/marines/airmen/whoever they are in the first place, what are they good for? Ground assaults, frame piloting, battleship support? You said they have pre-cataclysm weaponry (I'm assuming you mean the Gray Death, not the Olympus Cataclysm, although that would be pretty cool),?

I guess what I'm asking for is one of those little codex entries. Pwetty pwease? I need a full inventory before I start coming up with ideas on how to improve them. Hopefully we won't die prematurely/the reality won't end and shatter my hopes again.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Since I'm fairly sure your ideas start at SPESS MEHREENS! and end somewhere around THE EMPRAH! and I've already outlined that Star League technology in itself isn't that far off from Earthling levels, and neither are the Empire's, (probably a good comparison would be current military vs one from the late 80s) thanks to the rapid pace of development brought about by the Indus war, as well as them sharing roughly the same technological principles (given the source of technological development for the League and the Empire, not surprising), no, I don't think I need to write any extra information right now. You can probably make a fair extrapolation from the scenes that have already been written.

I do believe BA wins though.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B.A. BARACUS!
mr-t-in-the-role-of-ba-baracus-in-the-a-team.jpeg

Baltika9

Arcane
Since I'm fairly sure your ideas start at SPESS MEHREENS! and end somewhere around THE EMPRAH!
You wound me with your cruel words.

Special forces (a-la Green Berets/Rangers) dropped on a planet's surface/inserted into warships to pave the road for an assault by sabotaging enemy defenses/assassinating leadership/rabble-rousing and other forms of unconventional warfare. A spaceborne Engineer Corps that specializes in building footholds and battlefield fortifications, plus battlefield demolitions (should be pretty damn useful against Imperial fortresses). A deployable heavy armor contingent for space-to-ground engagements. High-power orbital bombardment ships. Yes, boarding shuttles with drill noses carrying batshit insane volunteers to capture enemy ships for the Glory of Mother Terra! (Distasteful? Maybe, but in our situation we can scarcely complain. If it works, do we really give a shit?). That's to name a few. Senya's genius could accomplish all these and then some, I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love some spess mehreens, but since we're strapped for power armor and superhuman augmentations right now, I'll settle for what we have.

Am I getting ahead of myself?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Uh, why wouldn't they already exist in some form or another? Those are logical extensions of traditional military roles. Their presence has either been implied or outright stated in the updates.

Baltika9

Arcane
My concern is this: do we have them and are ours better than theirs? We have about
"I suppose so," I reply, casting my eyes around the hangar as Chinatsu and Emiri head off to their rooms with their luggage, chatting excitedly. The base inside the massive asteroid is certainly well-equipped. It could house the entire Fleet, consisting of fifteen vessels, and hundreds of combat frames. The weaponry seem to be a bit more dated than the usual Star League-level equipment that the Federation now uses, but it's still an improvement over what Earth had five years ago.
I am not degrading the work that Senya's father has done (seriously, it couldn't have been easy for a guy of his character, but the old bastard did it anyway), but this is hardly a fleet that will shake our reality.

I don't mean to come off as a douche, I just feel very giddy about the possibilities Senya's involvement presents. If we get out of our current situation alive with Tarliss and Twintails in one (regenerating) peace, that is.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I thought you were referring to the greater entities of the Star League and the Empire.

The Autonomous Fleet isn't really supposed to be state of the art. Think of it like a collection of misfits sent to fill up the numbers or do dirty work which might face political hurdles if a normal fleet was used. That is their purpose - they don't need things like ground-to-space assets, and the Star League has its own special ops team which coordinate when necessary, re: Tarliss's previous mission. It has enough personnel to operate without support, but logistics-wise it still needs to draw upon resources from the Star League in terms of equipment. They will never be granted enough manpower to take planets - they're a space-based fleet still under the command of the Star League, not a full-fledged galactic army with corresponding branches.

You're talking about attempting to widen their operational parameters under the Star League's noses, and while that might work, it's not crucial. There are other ways of getting to that without trying to build everything from scratch.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Tactician

“I will head to the bridge to retrieve the ship’s data.”

Erec glances at me and shrugs. “I’m not coming along on your little suicide attempt. Men, we are leaving.” When he notices Erika remaining by my side, he gets frustrated. “Erika-“

“I’m staying, brother. Don’t worry. We’ll find a way.”

“I’ll be coming along too,” says Mere. “Exploding ships don’t worry me. But before that, what do we do with the Spirit?” She gestures at the man glaring at us. “We need to stop him from getting free and coming after us if we’re to be heading to the bridge.”

“Let me handle it,” I say. I take a few steps forward and crouch down besides the stricken Spirit.

“Do your worst,” he hisses through his clenched teeth. “I’ll remember your face. One day I will be back to repay this insult a thousand times fold.”

“Oh, no. No.” I smile. “I don’t think so.” The thin blue lines begin to grow over his body, pulsing and shifting like the veins of a living animal. The point which I must touch to end his existence…

There.

I find his origin, from where his lines sprout. It is a miniscule thing, hidden away at the back of his neck. Even immortals have a beginning… and that means they have an end.

All it takes is a simple touch. Blood spatters across the fabric my space suit as his body quietly splits apart at the seams, the living lines that criss-cross his body. The Spirit’s broken corpse withers almost instantly, as if a hundred years catches up to it in the blink of an eye. What is left is a dried, unidentifiable husk in a spreading pool of blood.

When I stand up again, everyone is looking at me intently, some more so than others.

“So that’s how you do it.” Erika murmurs. Mere, on the other hand, seems to be stunned at what just happened.

“Well then, that’s one problem solved,” I state.

“How did you do that? He died.” asks Mere as we move quickly down the corridors. Erec and the White Fang are raising a ruckus in the opposite direction to attract the crew’s attention.

“Questions later,” I say, stopping in my tracks and running my fingers along the smooth metal wall. “Is this the site?”

“Yes, Master. You can access the bridge if you go through this wall.”

“Alright.” I close my eyes and focus, my hand placed on the wall. I listen to the hum of the ship’s engine, feeling the vibrations of the battle that the White Fang are engaged in on a lower deck, and count the presences beyond the wall.

“There are sixteen people on the bridge, facing the consoles. Erika, do you remember the face of the ship’s commander?”

She nods.

“Keep him alive first. We might be able to get some answers out of him.”

She nods again.

I make a few quick traces with my sword and slice through the hardened metal. Erika kicks it down, sending the heavy metal piece flying into the bridge. She immediately springs inside, her blade drawn. First there are shouts of surprise, and then pain. When Mere and I follow, we see that Erika already has Dranu held in a chokehold, her gleaming sword poised threateningly against his throat. Three of the crewmembers are dead on the floor.

“Well, it looks like I don’t need to do anything at all,” laughs Mere as she leans against the commander’s chair. I move towards the information console and tear open a panel. There’s no time to perform a data transfer – I’ll just have to take the hardware with me. As I pull out the databank that stores the information, the viewscreen comes to life.

“Ah, the connection is live. Hello, can you hear me?” The speaker is a young boy, his black hair tied back in a knot. I notice Mere’s face immediately going pale. The boy notices her and smiles.

“Lady Tarliss, I assume you won’t be returning to enjoy our hospitality?” asks the boy.

“O-of course not. As you can see, I am just about to leave.” Her false bravado wavers slightly, but she gets a grip on herself and stares defiantly at the boy.

“Pity. Now-“

“Lord Adrahasis, destroy these rats!” shouts Dranu, his mustache and beard bristling. Erika edges her sword closer and nicks his skin, drawing blood.

“All in good time, Dranu, all in good time,” smiles the boy. “Now, the thief there, holding the ship’s databank in his hands – who are you? I do not recall your face being on any list of Star League personnel.”

“You remember the face of every single person in the Star League?” I ask.

“Every single person of note or those serving in the military, yes. Even if they undertake pains to disguise their identity, I will know them. How else did you think we captured Lady Tarliss?” His black eyes twinkle with mocking amusement.

Mere seems like she is about to make a retort, but bites back her words. She looks at me; apparently she wants me to take the lead.

“So, who are you?” asks Adrahasis again. “I cannot believe that I overlooked someone daring enough to attempt to ram and board a ship in the Star League military. You appear to be of Federation descent; are you a new officer?”

“I am nobody of note, as you said.” I reply. “Have you delayed us long enough to spring the trap?”

Adrahasis’s eyes twinkle again. “You noticed.”

“I miscalculated,” I admit. “I didn’t think that the Belesis itself was also a trap, after the rather obvious distress signal. The straightforward path it was taking home convinced me there was no danger. How many cruisers have you got stationed just beyond sensor range?”

“I have two cruisers that are heading towards you from the rendezvous point – you might have found hints of their existence had you investigated the wreckage of the battle,” grins the boy. “Will you surrender?”

“I might want to take my chances.” I shrug. “It will take them a few more days to reach us.”

“You are correct, but you have no chance of escaping now that I know where you are.”

With a sudden tremor, I realize that he’s right. I can sense invisible strings of thought extending across millions of kilometres of empty space locked onto us and the Independent Spirit of Adventure. The boy has tremendous mental reach. I could undo it; split those strings in two, but…

Commander Dranu begins laughing, half-choking under Erika’s grip. “You walked into our trap! The moment we found you, we relayed your coordinates to Lord Adrahasis.”

“Erika, do it.” I say. She slits his throat and leaves him twitching on the floor, gurgling his own blood out from the gaping wound in his throat.

“I thought you were going to ask him questions.”

“You should ask me that before cutting his throat. Anyway, the boy here is also tracking the commander. If we’re to escape, we can’t bring him along.” I reply.

“You are correct. You are also… cold-hearted,” says Adrahasis, frowning. “You didn’t need to kill him; you could’ve just left him on the ship.”

“I’m just sending him off early,” I say, tapping on the late commander’s console. The self-destruct sequence begins – I should have enough time to get off the ship.

“Who are you?” asks Adrahasis for the third time, his face now perplexed. “I am Bel-Adrahasis, Tactician of the Empire. Give me your name.”

“I am nobody of note,” I repeat. “Goodbye, tactician.” I cut the communications.

We escape the Belesis with no further problems, leaving it behind to self-destruct. I can sense Adrahasis’s strings tracking us every step of the way, even back onto the Independent Spirit of Adventure.

“If we do not move, the cruisers should arrive at our current location within two days,” says Emiri, reporting on the map she’s drawn of the surrounding region. “If we head towards the jump point, we can stretch it out to two more days.”

That would buy enough time for the black hole generator to charge – it would make our escape considerably easier.

“Master, I’ve finished analyzing the data from the Belesis. I think there’s something you’ll want to know.”

“What is it about?”

“The Empire have found and are tracking the trajectory of the Apophis. They plan to capture it.”

That’s the asteroid which Rei and the remnants of the cult are on. “Where is it?”

“I have the coordinates here – apparently the Belesis was part of a taskforce which would have proceeded to intercept the asteroid. It should cross this region of space in another two days.”

“Right when the Imperial cruisers arrive?” That’s interesting. Adrahasis must be planning something – I cannot rule out more than two vessels appearing here in two days, when the Apophis is due. “Is this part of your mission?” I ask Mere. She shakes her head.

“I was infiltrating the capital to steal an element of Project V. Before you ask, it’s classified.”

“I think we’re all in this together,” growls Erec. “Tell us everything.”

She sighs. “I can’t say everything, but Project V involves a weapon that the League is working on. It will end the war with our victory, and requires pieces of an artifact from our gods. We have been bestowed one piece, while the Empire holds another. It turns out that what I managed to take was a fake. Adrahasis predicted my coming. We fled, but were captured - I was separated from the rest of my team and put on the Belesis. Twintails and the others were put as bait where the distress signal you detected was coming from.”

“It sounds like the mission was a total failure, then.” I quip.

“Of course not,” she snaps. “I managed to find out that the Empire has two pieces. This will be important knowledge to the Council.”

“I see… where are those two pieces then?”

“They’re… wait, you’re not planning to go after them, are you?” Mere glances at me suspiciously.

“No, I’m just leaving the option open. You wouldn’t like to go back empty-handed, would you?”

“Of course not, but… the Devouring Emperor has them on his person. I do not want to get close to him if necessary.”

I nod, turning my attention to the map. There are a few things I can do from here…

A. Intercept the asteroid. If Rei falls into Imperial hands that could be bad. This means we will have to stay close to our current location and await its arrival.

B. Go after the Project V pieces in the Empire. They will not be expecting a second attempt so soon - best to get it done before Adrahasis sends word back about me - once we arrive, I'll infiltrate the capital and continue Tarliss's mission.

C. Head towards the jump point for a retreat using the wormhole. This is the quickest and easiest way back.

D. Track back the way we came - we will have to fight our way past the cruisers heading towards us, but this way we can pick up Tarliss's team if they're still alive.

1. I cut the strings allowing Adrahasis to track us, after deciding what to do. Of course, this will let him know that I can block his ability and allow him to compensate for it, but it is crucial he doesn't know what we are doing right now.

2. I allow the strings to remain - I will spend some time attempting to follow the lines back though I am unsure I can stretch my own senses that far. If successful, I could track his movements instead.

Kayerts

Arcane
Adrahasis = Babylonian name meaning "smart." Has to be one of Marduk's lesser deities.

Project Vajra sounds pretty cool. If the League has one piece, does that suggest that Zeus is a member of the Council of Nine?

Treave, if we go with B, are we actually signing up to assassinate the Emperor and retrieve the Vajra pieces from his corpse, or does that mean something else?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, looting the Vajra pieces from his body is an option, but there are other approaches.

You're not sure how far Adrahasis's senses can stretch. Could go all the way to Earth, could snap short, could do horrible things to his psyche trying to follow you through a wormhole. Or he could become far stronger than you could ever imagine.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Rei is important. She's the creator, where we are the destroyer. Vajra is simply a plaything of the Masters. We want to defeat those, correct?
Let's do it with the weapons we humans have wrought. If the master didn't expect Senya, he probably wouldn't expect Rei either.

About the Gieloth, I couldn't care less. But Rei is important.

As to whether we want the smart boy to track us, that is a different question. Will the Anhur be powered up enough for a sortie in two days time? Possibly, it could do something nasty to the cruisers. We need to note though, that the mass driver cannons of the Empire cruisers seem to be able to deal with armor relatively easily. It could probably do nasty things to an asteroid, not to mention a small freighter and its CF.

Tentatively voting for letting Smart Boy keep his leash on Senya. We can use that the other way around.

A2

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Can we get rid of Mere now she knows what we can do? First thing she'll do when she gets back to the council is telling about our abilities.

Even if we managed to get the vajra-pieces from the Emperor we still need to find the last piece the League has. At this point I don't think its crucial.

Say, what would happen if Senya opened a wormhole into a Imperial homeworld's sun? Would that result in supernova, wiping out the planet?

A2 - Rei is important and letting the strings remain means Adrahasis won't be planning anything new.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It wouldn't. What would happen is that the energy fries you and the nearest region of space while collapsing the wormhole at the same time, with minimal damage done to the star.

What you want is to find a way to connect the hearts of every star in the galaxy, creating a gigantic Galactic Hyperspatial Supernova. That'll do the job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom