Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Universal what-now?
So, Marduk is now made out of whatchamacallits and can disable thingamajigs through wi-fi. By that logic we can't fight him at all, maybe he'll hack our asteroids and use them against us, or turn the Ion cannon against our forces. Hell, he may infect our fleet's computers and use that against us!
*sigh* Work with me Baltika. I'll spell it out in detail:

Naram-Master was a Master and had some control over Master tech (the voices aka the nanobots), ergo Zeus probably did to a degree as well. Marduk devoured Zeus, therefore he probably has access to some of, if not all of the powers/abilities/knowledge that Zeus had regarding Master tech.

If it's as simple as sending a signal then perhaps this Marduk-Zeus could disable our computer. (Yes, the Masters have repeatedly shown they have built the capacity to send and receive signals over semi-vast distances, both for communication and control into their technology - eg, the nanobots aka the voices. Do you think a race capable of creating pocket dimensions can't do that? Do you think they can literally hack the universe, make people immortal, and build quantum computers that can nearly predict the future, but wireless communication is somehow beyond them? Really?)

No, I'm not saying he might be able to communicate with any tech, just Master tech, which is why your asteroid/fleet example is such a complete strawman.

Baltika9

Arcane
*sigh* Work with me Baltika. I'll spell it out in detail:

Naram-Master was a Master and had some control over Master tech (the voices aka the nanobots), ergo Zeus probably did to a degree as well. Marduk devoured Zeus, therefore he probably has access to some of, if not all of the powers/abilities/knowledge that Zeus had regarding Master tech.

If it's as simple as sending a signal then perhaps this Marduk-Zeus could disable our computer. (Yes, the Masters have repeatedly shown they have built the capacity to send and receive signals over semi-vast distances, both for communication and control into their technology - eg, the nanobots aka the voices. Do you think a race capable of creating pocket dimensions can't do that? Do you think they can literally hack the universe, make people immortal, and build quantum computers that can nearly predict the future, but wireless communication is somehow beyond them? Really?)

No, I'm not saying he might be able to communicate with any tech, just Master tech, which is why your asteroid/fleet example is such a complete strawman.
That was a tongue-in-cheek comment not meant to be taken seriously. I was trying to illustrate how ridiculous the "universal wifi" thing sounded to me, without being a dick about it. But, yes, I also think that Vajra is likely capable of shuttind down our system, however, if we follow the boarding action plan, that will never be an issue to begin with.

I just don't understand why you guys don't want to: the characters of Ean, Rei snd Senya are very much suited for that, so why fall back on different tactics?
Because the Masters will screw us over, or something? They won't, we are solving their problems here.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A
B
IV
II
VII (I guess, if I'm tie-breaking between wings and armour)
B (If we're going to do slipstream boarding as I am starting to suspect we will, then distracting all the immortals of the fleet with an asteroid attack will give us a much needed moment of reprieve)

Baltika9

Arcane
This is the ending of chapter seven all over again. I'll say the same thing I said back then: you'll regret it later.

And if we pick Slipspace boarding without Ean, we well and truly deserve to lose for our stupidity.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't see your point. We rocked out in chapter 7, Dio was triumphant. I was so very happy.

Then you lot had to go and wake up Ean. :(

Baltika9

Arcane
Back then we lost the chance at many preemptive strikes and glorious bastardry by forgoing Dio in favor of Ean, bacause lol.

Now we're losing our chance at a debilitating preemptive strike and being magnificent bastards by forgoing Ean in favor of being scared like little pussies of something that probably won't even happen if we play our cards right.

And, yeah, I was with you on Dio back then.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

And if we pick Slipspace boarding without Ean, we well and truly deserve to lose for our stupidity.
True. Maybe. Assuming we couldn't "kill" Marduk and convince Adrahasis (spell?) to take over as treave suggested earlier...

My initial plan was simply to hit and run them with black holes all the way to earth. We'd take out most of their fleet and then mop up what's left of them with the solar array + the Federation defense fleet - if they haven't all turned-tail by then. There is only one problem with all this as I see it. We'd still be playing into the Master's hands. We'd still be hastening the end of their game. Maybe you have something here, Baltika, in your usual crazy way...

If we were going for the boarding plan, we should probably pick all the options that synch with that - ie, drill, ramming field, worm holes...I guess... Hmm. Esquilax, are you caught up yet or what?

Baltika9

Arcane
Popping off black holes from long range might be useful, but you should really expect it to work only once. They wouldn't have conquered a galactic empire if they couldn't adapt on the fly.
And that's where the hit-and-run plan hits a snag. If all we're depending on is the cannon and our little tricks, we lost already.

"I guess" isn't good enough to beat Marduk.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Locking in votes. Let's see what happens in one possible future with a quantum computer... boarding in slipspace, a travel method known to both sides of the conflict, meaning it is immortal tech, and hence originates from the Masters. Take out the Emperor. Right at the moment of your victory, the Masters meddle in slipspace via Vajra now that the Emperor isn't in their way anymore, allowing them to directly manipulate the quantum computer and blow you all up after you did their job for them. Ean and Sekh are reduced to scattered pieces of consciousness across the dimensions. You survive but are unable to recover in time to prevent the end of the universe as the Masters execute their endgame.

You know what, screw the votes. I like this ending. Let's go with this.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol:
One question: why is Sek with the boarding party?

If you're not pulling our collective leg here, then I derped pretty hard. Never mind, but we still need a better plan than pelting them with black holes.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Given her connection to Ean, having the Masters scatter him will do the same to her. Oh well. This is just one possible outcome.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oooh, so they probably can converse across entire galaxies, I bet. Sweet. Godspeed, then, let's resolve this Crusade and bring our bro back already. Hope he's not too upset about sitting this one out.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
After counting, there appears to be more wing voters than I expected so the count is: ABA, I, IV, VIII

I - 1111111111
II - 1
III
IV - 11111111111
V
VI
VII - 111
VIII - 111111

IX - 11

T-Minus Thirty Days

In order to accommodate the twin generators and the various weapons systems, the CF had to be larger than usual – it stood about 30 metres high, significantly taller than the average frame of the day. The test run went perfectly. I slipped into sync with Rei without needing any adjustments – as I interfaced with the frame, I would handle the gunnery and targeting systems, while she focused on the movement of the frame. We managed to implement three out of the numerous proposals; the tactical warp system, the variable black hole cannon, and the gravity wings. They were systems that each gave a particular strength to the frame; mobility, attack and defense. Safe choices, to be sure, and probably rather unimaginative, but I was unfortunately shouted down by everyone else when I suggested turning the chestpiece of the robot into a reflective array that would fire hundreds of lethal homing lasers. Oh well, you can’t win them all. It took some time for my mind to get used to handling the calculations, but soon I understood how to divide the load with the frame’s computer, only performing the ones it couldn’t handle. By learning how to relegate the mental work to my subconscious, my link with the mech soon became second nature.

I channeled my frustration at being denied my laser array into orders for the Solar Ring to be converted into a weapon that would focus and direct the stored power of the sun. The giant mirrors were slowly moved into position; once the time comes, they would concentrate all of the gathered energy in one direction, frying anything caught in its path. The workers began calling it the Solar Ray.

As our work continued to progress smoothly, we received word from the Empire. A few weeks earlier we had sent out a message requesting a parley in the vicinity of Jupiter. The message would have reached the fleet right before the last leg of their jumps. To no one’s surprise, they refused. Apparently the Emperor was insistent that his reception – and any negotiations – would be conducted on Earth soil, with his hundred thousand-strong fleet in the skies above him. As they believed they were in a position of strength, they were quite disinclined to listen to anything we had to say unless it was an offer of total surrender.

A month before their arrival, it looks like conflict is inevitable.

A. I prepare to pull them out of slipspace in the vicinity of Uranus, using my frame's gravity control to create a gravitic anomaly. They will not expect anything to be able to do that. This will delay them from reaching Earth by many weeks. On the downside, I would have to pull them right on top of me.

B. I will intercept them at Jupiter, right after they drop out of slipspace. They may be expecting an ambush at the point of arrival, but they won't be expecting just one frame. If I fail to keep them under control, however, they will probably escape into the asteroid belt to camouflage their movements.

1. I'll aim for the flagship, which will likely be heavily guarded at the center of their fleet. If I take it down, their morale will be shaken terribly. I have to end this in one decisive strike instead of drawing it out; a battle of attrition is to our disadvantage.

2. I'll skirt the edges of the fleet, taking out targets of opportunity. Diving in would be too risky; this will allow me to retreat more easily. By harassing them I will goad them into making mistakes which I can capitalize on.

C. Though the calculations are intensely difficult, I think I can manage to jump my frame into slipspace, right where the fleet should be. Once there, I would try to board:

1. The Emperor's flagship. Although Sekhenun thinks it is a terrible idea to get close to him, she concedes that wiping him from existence could be doable if we are stealthy enough.

2. Adrahasis's ship. As the man (boy?) directing the fleet's strategy, neutralizing him in advance would be an excellent way of weakening the Empire.

D. I believe we can settle this peacefully, or at least, without fighting all hundred thousand ships. We wait until the Crusade fleet arrives at Earth, keeping our guard up, and engage in diplomatic negotiations.

Baltika9

Arcane
With our loadout, it'll make the most sense: Rei plus Senya in a highly-mobile teleportation mech that spits black holes is just what we need to survive this.

Slipspace boarding is a retarded idea, we don't have the tech for it, nor the raw manpower to take on a whole ship, Adrahanis' or Marduk's.

Devourer Diplomacy isn't much better, our opponent won't be making any deals here. Why would he? He's in control. And we're missing a certain someone to take him down. Erasing him is an absolute last resort, as Sek said it will probably severely damage Senya.

And, finally, letting them enter our system on their terms will be foolish of us, not to mention they'll scatter into the asteroids ASAP after we fire our BFG, forcing Terra's meagre fleet to fight off multiple approaches.

Besides, maybe the time we win for Sek will let her and Ean pull a miracle out of their ass.

Kayerts

Arcane
Edited:
We went with the maximal mobility build; here's our chance to use that to our advantage.

I think our choice should be between B1 and A1/A2. A1 is obviously the best, if we can pull it off. I'm not sure that we can, even as prepared as we are. We basically have to yank the fleet out of slipspace, locate their flagship, pop off a black hole while they're still getting their bearings, and then run like hell. That would require perfect timing and nearly instantaneous reactions . . .

. . . which are Senya's main advantages. Hm. Voting A1.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm going for A1, then. The sooner we take him out, the better. Make them fear us.

Although it's entirely posdible, though highly unlikely, that he's not onboard his capital ship.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Right, for those following the thread here’s a sneak preview at the next project. :troll:

Birth Zodiac:

Rat – (Perception +1, Intelligence + 2, Agility +2, Strength -1, Endurance -1)
Ox – (Strength + 2, Endurance +3, Intelligence -2)
Tiger – (Strength +2, Agility +2, Luck +1, Perception -1, Luck -1)
Rabbit – (Charisma +2, Luck +3, Strength -2)
Dragon – (Strength +1, Perception +1, Charisma +1, Intelligence +1, Luck+1, Endurance -1, Agility -1)
Snake – (Perception +2, Charisma +1, Agility +2, Strength -1, Luck -1)
Horse – (Endurance +3, Agility +1, Luck +1, Perception -1, Intelligence -1)
Goat – (Perception +2, Intelligence +3, Charisma -2)
Monkey – (Intelligence +2, Agility +3, Endurance -1, Luck -1)
Rooster – (Perception +1, Charisma +2, Intelligence +1, Agility +1, Strength -2)
Dog – (Perception +2, Endurance +1, Agility +2, Luck -2)
Pig – (Strength +1, Endurance +1, Intelligence +1, Luck +2, Agility -2)

Before you undertook your apprenticeship, you had a history. It may not be important to you anymore, but it has shaped your life and you would do well to remember it.

A. You belong to a clan that has served as bureaucrats to the Imperial Court for generations. Your father attempted to break the mold, trying out for the army instead of taking the Imperial exams like every other member of the clan. He failed rather spectacularly; to this day, when would-be recruits talk about a person failing the physical exam, they use your father’s name as a part of the proverb. Unable to fulfil his dream, your father has encouraged you to practice the arts of war. You are not particularly… adept… at the physical aspect – you are sure this incompetence is hereditary – but you have taken to the strategems like a duck to water. Of course, that didn’t help you one bit when your entire family was arrested on false charges of corruption and executed. How dreadful.
(Perception +1, Intelligence +2, Strength -1, Endurance -1, Begin with skill: The Art of War)

B. You come from a family of farmers, who have farmed the land for hundreds of years. The same land. As a result, your family’s farming prowess have been honed through the generations, and you are widely regarded as the physical culmination of a legendary line of farmers, one that can dig furrows with his bare hands. You are going to be the best farmer ever, they said. It’s just a pity that there’s no more land for you to farm, no thanks to your conniving landlord. If only your family was literate, they could have avoided signing away their land rights.
(Strength +1, Endurance +2, Intelligence -2, Begin with skill: Bare-handed Hoe)

C. You are a wandering child, an orphan; not so rare in these times of chaos. You grew up with the beggars; you were practically adopted by them, following the more adventurous ones from city to city. You learnt sleight-of-hand and also the art of play-acting. You soon found out how to make every drop of your tears earn a penny in return. Times were good, but not for long. When the new Emperor ascended, he outlawed begging in all the streets of all his cities. Those who continued to beg for food and money would find a pot of boiling oil awaiting them. Then they would beg for something else. Time to find a new line of work, it seems.

(Perception +1, Charisma +1, Agility +1, Endurance -1, Luck -1, Begin with skill: Ambidexterity)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm also leaning towards A1 (but it's not a vote yet!), though I'd like to have an option of taking out Adrahasis isntead.

Also, a theory: Remember how Naram-Master forced Athena and co. to do his bidding due to his Master-ish ability to control the voices? Maybe Marduk does the same with the Empire's immortals and demigods? Which means once he's dead Adrahasis' voices will once again serve the regular Masters and the Empire will join the League.

Which makes me scared.

Baltika9

Arcane
So? Kill 'em all, then. I don't see the problem.

Also, looking forward to this next project. :bounce:
Is it in this setting, or completely original?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It'll derive heavily from Chinese mythology and martial arts schlock. It shouldn't tie directly into this setting. Or we could do a breeding project LP where you play through the generations as a clan either siding with or against the monsters of the Cthulhu mythos. That one's also prepped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom