Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Kayerts

Arcane
I like the level 2 ring slaves + energy armor, generally; being able to pop off black holes into the middle of their fleet seems good, and it even makes our more conventional weapons more powerful. So I'm happy to vote III - III - VII.

With that said, I share Baltika's confusion about the tactical applications in which a planet-destroying gun is less useful than a system-destroying gun. What's the range on the annihilator cannon? I'm going to guess we can't just cruise our way to the galactic center while spamming black holes in every direction, effectively providing suppressive fire for the entire fleet.

The degen field seems like it should provide really useful defense against drones, since it's especially effective on smaller targets.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Bros, allow me to propose a quick alternative and see what you guys think:

III. Ring Slaves. Remote drones that draw upon the black hole generator to power their weaponry. Also allows you to warp your own fire through the rings for tactical considerations.
Upgrade: Ring Familiars - The rings are now semi-sentient, imitating your reaction speed and instincts to improve their survivability on the battlefield. They can serve to multiply the power of particle or laser attacks by an order of magnitude, or be used to teleport black hole attacks.

Based on treave's clarification, it seems that these two additions will allow us to have a SHITLOAD of tactical opportunities. Our black hole weaponry is already at planet-busting levels, and while we'd be sacrificing raw power, we'd be making up for it in accuracy and rate of fire. Loading up a solar-system destroying black hole would likely take up a lot of time, but being able to throw out smaller black holes and adjust them on the fly seems to be immensely useful both in this coming war and in future battles against the Masters. It would also increase the power of our particle and laser attacks to boot. I feel that the versatility it provides might make it a better bet than the black hole cannon.

The downside here is that it seems to not be as effective, particularly against drones without the help of the homing lasers.

As far the remaining upgrade:

VII. Reactive Energy Armour. Uses the immense generator output to constantly create a layer of ablative energy. It can be supercharged and ejected outwards to burn the enemy, or contained and used for a ramming attack.

We really need something to shore up our weakness in the defense department - as I've mentioned before, we're a glass cannon. Unlike the Empire, the Star League's forces have millions of drones and seem to be more maneuverable overall, so we will get hit eventually. When it inevitably happens, we need to be able to take it on the chin and keep going.

Also, the potential for a ramming attack with which to unleash Ean into an unsuspecting enemy flagship containing Star League leaders seems pretty goddamn retarded awesome.

Thoughts?
I'm just not seeing how ring slaves would be that much of an advantage. Big deal, teleporting black hole attacks...so? It's not like there are any corners to shoot around.:retarded:

Gravity wings on the other hand would increase our speed advantage even further AND our defense. You talked about being a glass cannon? The wings we already have were able to shield from Marduk's attacks. Now imagine that, but with 9 of them, moving at speeds faster than drones, CFs or turrets can track.

As for your ramming idea, I think it would be better paired with the gravity drill as some of the bigger ships will likely have mega-armor.

I suppose if all or most of the League's leaders were on a single ship it'd be a good idea. Trouble is, I doubt they will be. Given what we saw while stealing Anhur MKII, they seem to enjoy flaunting their immortality and fighting in the thick of battle. Look forward to seeing them in charge of fleets and even in CFs. (And before everyone else starts getting ideas of mega ramming glory, boarding attacks as a habit are probably the most retarded thing we can do. Think about it: 1. It's slow. Taking down 10,000 ships one at a time would take months and by then our contract would expire. 2. It puts us in an extremely vulnerable position. 3. We could easily be drawn into a trap. But all this has been covered before...)

As for everyone's sudden flops to reactive armor vs the devourer shield, keep in mind

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What's the range on the annihilator cannon? I'm going to guess we can't just cruise our way to the galactic center while spamming black holes in every direction, effectively providing suppressive fire for the entire fleet.

The cannon can destroy a star system if the resulting explosion is not controlled. Given that even ship sensors don't usually pick up things accurately way on the other end of the solar system, it is a good way of mutual suicide if you let things blow for maximum radius. Firing randomly and recklessly is also a very good way of getting your own fleet killed with this weapon. The collision can be manipulated in such a way that the burst of energy is funneled in a limited direction, essentially making it a very powerful directed energy weapon with a large AoE. The range of the initial part of the attack (black holes) will be limited because the two black holes will inevitably collide once they travel far enough, but the energy released can travel very far before dissipating. Black holes aren't ideal as suppressive fire because they travel slower than particle beams and take longer to charge up. Suppressive fire needs high volume and rate of fire, and you just aren't going to get enough with these. They have a great AoE and blow through almost everything, but the smaller sized ones also dissipate rather quickly, meaning that if you are firing very quick, weak shots they have inferior range.

I'm just not seeing how ring slaves would be that much of an advantage. Big deal, teleporting black hole attacks...so? It's not like there are any corners to shoot around.:retarded:

I wouldn't go so far as to imply the tactical potential of the drones to be retarded. There are quite a lot of things you can accomplish with remote drones and the ability to redirect your fire where they least expect it. You could use it to camouflage your actual approach, set up an ambush from all angles by your lonesome, support your allies on the field, and simultaneously take down critical targets in time-sensitive missions. Firing around corners is the least of it. And yes there are corners. You can fire around ships, asteroids, and assorted space debris, just to name a few things that might present corners in space.

In the end, how well a system performs is down to the user. I don't think there are any actual bad choices here, just directions to develop the mech in that will possibly factor into your strategy later on. You can have the most powerful CF available but if the user is making poor decisions, it is still going to be useless in the long run.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Opening: War Council

We spend the first hour recapping things that have already been discussed in the prior meeting. Tedious, to be sure, but it also gives me a good glimpse at the various fleet leaders that will be accompanying us on the battle.

Admiral Harlsen leads the Federation’s 1st Fleet. Although slightly unconvinced of the need to invade the galactic centre, he nevertheless retains enough dignity as a professional soldier to throw himself wholeheartedly behind the plan. I watch him speak as he points out the threat the Star League poses to our survival.

“Given what we know of the League’s religion, they will invade and conquer us to satisfy their gods.”

“This is nonsense, Harlsen. We were once under their thumb. We just have to submit to them again and spare us all the trouble of fighting.” Murmurs run through the room at Admiral Kadowaki’s retort. He does not stop there. “Why are we suddenly siding with the Empire that actually invaded us?”

Admiral Kadowaki leads the 2nd Fleet. Despite his reluctance to fight the League, he appears to be competent at his work and commands the loyalty of his subordinates. That means I won’t be able to replace him or any of his ilk, not on such short notice.

“Do you have problems with that, Federation admiral?” growls Vermilis, the commander of the Wolf’s Shield Legion. Along with Rahuk of the Devourer’s Hammer, who is even now glaring at Kadowaki in support of his comrade, they felt dishonoured by the actions of some of their fleet in attempting to desert; the two will have a tendency to try to overcompensate for that in the coming battles.

“I concur with Admiral Kadowaki.” Admiral Hasting, commanding the 7th Fleet – a fairly young admiral who had made a good showing for herself while in service to the League as a commander. She appears to have rather close relations with Kadowaki. “I still do not see the urgency in assembling such a large invasion force, not to mention what we did to Jupiter. I do not mean to offend, Admiral Harlsen, but are we being unduly influenced by outsiders in this affair?” she says, casting an obvious glance at Ean and the Imperial commanders even as she does so. Adrasteia, Vermilis and Rahuk begin to visibly bristle, each of them leading a force that outnumbers all the fleets of the Federation put together. You had to admire her courage and reckless stupidity.

“You would do well to speak with care, Admiral,” says Adrasteia icily. “Do not forget that we are now allies.” It is a remarkably restrained comment given her temperament. I half- expected her to have gone for Hasting’s throat.

“Only because you were afraid of defeat,” snaps Hasting. That is entirely the wrong thing to say, and I wonder if she said it knowing that implication of cowardice would really set the Imperials off. Adrasteia stands up angrily, her chair snapping as she does so. The lights in the conference room seem to dim. There is a rictus frozen on Hasting’s face, half with fear and half with anticipation. I give an inward sigh as I prepare to interfere.

“Sit down, Bel-Adrasteia,” says the Grand Marshal of the Galactic Core Invasion Force. His voice is sonorous and firm. The room is flooded with a warm yet oppressive feeling, radiating from his person and weighing down heavily on all of us. The commander of the Emperor’s Sword stares at him for a while before breaking eye contact. Attempting to sit, she finds that she has already broken the chair in anger and a sheepish look crawls over her face as an aide hurries over with a new chair.

The small smirk that is forming on Hasting’s face is wiped out when the Grand Marshal turns his attention to her instead.

“I do not appreciate being considered an outsider, Admiral Hasting. I was born on Earth, just like you. Would you like me to furnish proof?” asks Ean.

There is a hurried shake of the head. The pressure from the Grand Marshal lifts as he leans back in his chair and spreads his open hands, as if inviting us to continue the meeting.

“Well, I don’t really know anything about the bravery of the Empire, but you were hardly the one who faced them down now, did you, Hasting?” interrupts the Admiral of the 3rd Fleet.

“It’s Admiral Hasting to you, Admiral Grimrock,” she mutters. Grimrock, now promoted to command of the Third – I thought he was dead by now, that old bastard – laughs as he thumps the table once. “You’ll always be an ensign in my eyes. Now, if I’m not mistaken, it’s Hoshikawa there that was out at the frontlines. Alone.”

All eyes in the room turn to me. I shrug.

“That is right,” says Jheverg of the Serpent’s Wing. “We have decided to follow Sir Hoshikawa’s will, as he was the only one with any courage or foresight to replace the Emperor as the one who will carve our way to the heavens. The Star League may spare you if you surrender, but they will wipe us out to a man. We might not be able to hold back our forces from pre-emptive revenge upon those who betrayed us if that is the case.” He is the most devout of the Deities; though we had expected him to pose the most problems, he seems to have transferred his loyalty rather readily. Of course, I think that is contingent on me actually fulfilling my part of the bargain.

“That sounded like a threat,” muttered Admiral Kuran, one of the most senior and experienced admirals and leader of the 4th Fleet. “Are you sure you should be saying that?”

“I am sure he did not mean anything by this,” assures Admiral Fennell of the 6th Fleet. “Everyone should take a second to calm down. This is not professional at all.”

“That’s right. This is hardly the time for a tiff, my friends.” This time, Berith of the Raven’s Lance speaks up. She gives Jheverg a look of warning. “There is no need for that sort of language. We are all together in this.”

He protests. “I did not-“

“Bel-Jheverg, can we just continue with the briefing?” pleads Berith with a sigh.

“Bel-Berith is right,” says Adrahasis, leader of the Dragon’s Guard. “We are wasting valuable time here.” I grin at him, tapping the side of my head and his frown deepens. Well, he’ll get over it.

“Yes, exactly. Time is a-wasting here, ladies and gentlemen. By Ean we need to know what we’re up against and we need to know now, what?” Admiral Richardson of the 5th Fleet thumps the table excitedly, twirling his moustache.

“Oh, I agree entirely,” says Ean.

“Well! Now that everyone has aired their issues, let us have a look at something really important,” I say, bringing up the star charts of the galactic core. It looks like I will have to pay attention to certain leaders in our force.

“As we can see here, our final goal is located right on the brink of the supermassive black hole, within the Carneus Alpha star system consisting of a red giant and sixteen planets. The entirety of Carneus Alpha is filled with defense drones. These will fire upon anything that strays close to the system as long as the League is not yet defeated. Approaching it directly is not an option. The closest we can get before crushing them will be Carneus Beta, the last jump point before reaching our goal at Alpha. I assume all of you have been briefed on the new black hole engines powering your ships?”

The Federation admirals nod their heads, while the Imperial commanders appear to be slightly unhappy that they don’t get new toys.

“All of the slipspace routes into the galactic core are now controlled by the League. However, with the wormhole ability we are able to bypass those routes and jump directly to a system of our own choosing. However, we cannot transport unlimited amounts of material. Given the number of Imperial ships that we have to carry through, we will only be able to reach these three systems. Any further and we will drain the generators too much. We don’t want that to happen.”

The chart zooms out and back in further away from the core, highlighting three stars in red circles.

“These are the systems of Gelmark, Dormungan, and Tejat A. Each of them is close to a slipspace route that will lead us closer to Carneus Alpha.

Gelmark is one of the League’s fortress systems. Sector Armada Delta is stationed there at the moment, but it provides us with one of the quickest routes to Carneus Beta, allowing us to get there within four jumps.

Dormungan is also occupied, but we should not see any significant League presence. From there we can reach Gelmark in three jumps, or reach Carneus Beta within eight.

Finally, Tejat A is an uninhabited system and the most remote. However, it allows us to reach one of the League’s prize-worlds, Bainur, within two jumps. From there, we can reach Gelmark and Dormungan with just one jump each, or reach Carneus Beta with five.”

“What about the other armadas of the League?” asks Harlsen.

“Besides Delta, we expect Beta and Gamma to be currently stationed in Imperial territory. They will have begun pulling back now that they know of our mission, but it will take them another week to arrive in the region of engagement. As for Armada Alpha, they should depart from the League’s home systems and begin heading towards the core to lie in wait for us.”

“Alpha is commanded directly by the Council of Nine,” says Adrahasis. “It will be our toughest challenge.”

“I believe Beta is under Helkyon Farges, one of the best commanders they have and probable successor to one of the seats on the Council. Delta and Gamma are run by Volkin Swicks and Shan Goranes,” offers Hasting. “I served under Volkin and he prefers a more Imperial style of engagement – advancing with the support of heavy firepower, but I cannot tell you much about the rest.”

Ean looks at the list of fleets that he has and glances at me. “Do we know where Epsilon is?”

“No, Grand Marshal.” I shake my head. “Their whereabouts are unknown for now. Still, I would not put too much certainty in these reports. They are likely to be correct, but as Adrahasis has demonstrated before this, it is possible to camouflage fleet movements via slipspace. We may yet be surprised.”

“Very well. Am I correct in assuming that if we split up our forces, we will not be able to communicate easily?”

“That would be correct, Grand Marshal,” says Berith. “We would only be able to coordinate properly once we are in the same system again.”

“Timing via slipspace travel is consistent, however, so if we plan everything out and execute it precisely we should be able to launch a multi-pronged attack if we want to. That would give us the advantage of pressing multiple fronts on an initial strike thanks to our wormhole drives,” adds Admiral Fennell.

“By the way, Grand Marshall, I will be joining the 3rd Fleet,” I say. “The lynchpin of this assault lies with the bomb, and I should spend the majority of the operation in its vicinity. How should we arrange the rest of the forces, though?”

A. Gather all the forces together and pick a system to arrive in. Splitting up will become a headache later should anything unexpected happen.
1. Gelmark. Making their stronghold the first site of battle will definitely surprise them. This is a good chance to destroy one of their Sector Armadas, severely reducing their forces before the other fleets can arrive to reinforce Delta.
2. Dormungan. Playing it safe, we can still hit Gelmark or opt to travel further into the core. This will provide the least chances of encountering the enemy, allowing us to get into position and prepare in advance.
3. Tejat A. This gives us the most options to follow up on. Besides that, Bainur is an important planet to the Star League. Attacking and holding it is sure to attract the attention of every League force. This could be useful.

B. Divide the forces and hit the systems simultaneously. (Free form plan, but each Imperial legion must initially be accompanied by at least one Federation fleet. There are multiple branches from each initial system later on so there is no need to plan the entire campaign with too much detail. Just dividing and assigning general aims for each task force will do).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Votes for the Anhur-Shu upgrades will only be closed with the next update. Which should be somewhere around Sunday or Monday.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hmm, they're using Epsilon as their ace-in-the-hole, and with good reason: those fucks have fifty thousand CFs ( treave, how do our frames measure up to theirs?); I think that unexpectedly assaulting their prized world will be enough to draw Epsilon out.

Or, we could smash through their fortress-system with a massed force and then repurpose it into our own fortified position.

Or use our ANNIHILATION CANNON! to solo the entire system and bring the fleet up behind us.

Baltika9

Arcane
MOAR!

Also, treave, Ean is our Grand-Marshal and tactician: what's his take on this. I'm assuming Senya didn't give him the command to just enforce his decisions, but to also give him input.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I'm thinking dividing forces between Gelmark and Tejat A. Taking out the fortress system and possible turning it to our base while advancing toward their prize-world Bainur. Things will be much harder after the initial shock wears off.

Esquilax

Arcane
Battlefleet Ean- Tejat A:
Full-on heavy invasion force to make the League crap their pants.
Emperor's Sword- 1st Fleet, the heavy hitters.
Dragon's Guard- 2nd Fleet, the command team. Place Ean with this group so he can keep his mind on Kadowaki and coordinate with Adrahasis.
Devourer's Hammer- 5th Fleet, let these two do their gung-ho stuff. (I'd love to put Ean on the same ship as Richardson, though).
Wolf's Shield- 4th Fleet, since all legions need a fleet with them. Personally, I'd like for another enthusiast like Richardson. But this pair shouldn't have conflicts, the Admiral was probably offended with Jherveg's threat, understandably so.

Battlefleet Hoshikawa, Gelmark:
The mobile light-fighters with good drone-suppression capabilities. Senya should be able to pull most of the weight. The good thing here is that Berith will keep Jherveg in check and Grimrock will do the same for Hasting.

Raven's Lance- 7th Fleet, Berith is the Empire's calmer commander to Hasting's firebrand, this pair should be fine.
Serpent's Wing- 6th Fleet, and pair the devout one with the Federation's diplomat for minimum conflict.

B: tl;dr Assault Gelmark in a surprise attack before Delta and Gamma fleet arrive. While this is going on, situate another large force at Tejat A to take Bainur and draw out other enemy fleets.

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax has outlined a great plan (something I was considering too but too occupied to type up), however, we must be extremely cautious as to which admirals and Deities we'll pair up. Interpersonal conflicts causing mutiny and betrayal to the League is the absolute last thing we need.

On that note, I think that we ought to give the Empire's hotheads (the two disgraced legions, Adrasteia and the super-devout Jherveg) our most professional fleets (which means First, Fourth and Sixth; add the Fourth under Adm. Kuran, since we must send a fleet with each legion) and send them to the fortified sector, under Ean's command. That's just the type of battle he needs to cut his teeth on, and the professionals we'll place at his disposal will make learning all the easier for him.

Meanwhile, all of our dissidents will be under the management of Senya and Grimrock (who was with Harlsen since she was an ensign, which means he likely has some influence on her) and keep Kadowaki in plain sight as much as possible: from his words, he's the one most likely man to betray us.
These guys, plus the other two legions will come with us to the prize-world and be on stanby. A hundred-thousand ships is a pretty massive number, I think that will be enough to get Epsilon's attention.

One more thing: I think we should be underplaying our technological superiority as much as possible so that we still have aces in our sleeves when it comes time to take down Alpha. In fact, the less they know about Ean (I think the Masters may shit a brick and start backing them up if they find out the extent of his involvement; the dude is ad big a threat to their influence as the Devourer was), our black-hole powered ships and our mega CF, the better.

Also, I think we should take the Degen-field to help us against drones, I can't believe Ioverlooked that.

Jester

Arbiter
Back and updated, missed some things... Oh well.

So about frame
III - tactical options to good to ignore in my opinion
up VIII - best way to survive? Not being hit in first place.
IX - annoying secret tech super robot? freeze sucker and decompose him. (or mby chain reaction rocket disposer. Would destroying few trigger all?)

attack
B: tl;dr Assault Gelmark in a surprise attack before Delta and Gamma fleet arrive. While this is going on, situate another large force at Tejat A to threaten the Star League's planet and to draw out Epsilon. As a bonus, our forces will only be one jump away from each other, allowing the possibility of sending reinforcements in short order if we feel that one of them is threatened.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
B: tl;dr Assault Gelmark in a surprise attack before Delta and Gamma fleet arrive. While this is going on, situate another large force at Tejat A to threaten the Star League's planet and to draw out Epsilon. As a bonus, our forces will only be one jump away from each other, allowing the possibility of sending reinforcements in short order if we feel that one of them is threatened.

This :salute:

Esquilax

Arcane
On that note, I think that we ought to give the Empire's hotheads (the two disgraced legions, Adrasteia and the super-devout Jherveg) our most professional fleets (which means First, Fourth and Sixth; add the Fourth under Adm. Kuran, since we must send a fleet with each legion) and send them to the fortified sector, under Ean's command. That's just the type of battle he needs to cut his teeth on, and the professionals we'll place at his disposal will make learning all the easier for him.

Good call, but perhaps it might be better for Ean to prepare for a potential planetary assault? His specialty is fighting on the ground where he can carve through any Star League bigwigs with ease. However, treave, when you say "fortress-system" does that mean a bunch of well-defended planets and the possibility of ground-fighting that Ean might be more effective in?

These guys, plus the other two legions will come with us to the prize-world and be on stanby. A hundred-thousand ships is a pretty massive number, I think that will be enough to get Epsilon's attention.

One thing we ought to consider is that Epsilon is at Tejat A at the moment. It would be a smart tactical move for them to block off such a strategic location, particularly if they're expecting us to come there. In fact, this is a somewhat likely place for them to be. treave, I know that we don't know where Epsilon is, but do we at least know where they're not? That is, are we confident that Tejat A is clear?

Remember guys, we should consider the possibility that Epsilon is right in what's described in the update as "an uninhabited system and the most remote." Our people would be the least likely to find them in such a place.

One more thing: I think we should be underplaying our technological superiority as much as possible so that we still have aces in our sleeves when it comes time to take down Alpha. In fact, the less they know about Ean (I think the Masters may shit a brick and start backing them up if they find out the extent of his involvement; the dude is ad big a threat to their influence as the Devourer was), our black-hole powered ships and our mega CF, the better.

We may not have a choice here. The Star League aren't going to be holding back, and neither should we. We threw down the gauntlet and went for a war, we better be willing to throw what we've got at them at the right time.

Also, I think we should take the Degen-field to help us against drones, I can't believe Ioverlooked that.

Possibly, but it seems ineffective against anything but drones:

The range is spherical. Though I say visual range, the effective range probably goes for less than a hundred kilometres in radius. Any further and there are far too many particles for you to track without blowing your mind. Requires a lot of concentration in the first place. You can actually pull this off on foot, albeit with far lesser range. I did say atoms, but you can think of it as slowing down and breaking everything. A de facto time slowing spell, in a sense. It can be resisted by strong immortals with high regen.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, how do our frames measure up to theirs?)

The use of frames in Epsilon is experimental, formed after seeing the Federation's use of mechs. They are higher-specced and the pilots a lot more integrated with their machines. Expect Anhur mk II levels of performance from each CF. However, their pilots are generally inexperienced and the bulk of them were trained by Federation veterans like Vic Camna. There are a few notable aces, but we'll get to that when we encounter Epsilon.

Ean is our Grand-Marshal and tactician: what's his take on this. I'm assuming Senya didn't give him the command to just enforce his decisions, but to also give him input.

Just assume it's a decision reached after much more talking amongst the war council, meaning that his input has already been given. If the Grand Marshal wasn't satisfied with the outcome of their discussions he wouldn't have approved the plan. He's not the sort who'll just stay quiet and sulk if he thinks everyone is heading towards a direction that he disagrees with.

Good call, but perhaps it might be better for Ean to prepare for a potential planetary assault? His specialty is fighting on the ground where he can carve through any Star League bigwigs with ease. However, treave, when you say "fortress-system" does that mean a bunch of well-defended planets and the possibility of ground-fighting that Ean might be more effective in?

No, fortress systems have a string of space fortresses with very big guns. Gelmark is a natural choke-point for travel towards the Carneus Alpha system, which is why it has been very heavily fortified with more than twenty moon-sized movable fortresses orbiting its star. Of course, the inhabited planets there have good planetary defenses and a strong garrison, but there is no need to land unless you want to occupy. Boarding and hijacking a space fortress is definitely possible though.

treave, I know that we don't know where Epsilon is, but do we at least know where they're not? That is, are we confident that Tejat A is clear?

Rather confident, with a 95% certainty. It's hard to be absolutely certain.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, right, you might also want to consider the make-up of the forces; here's a brief description of the three types of warships in order to help with that:

Super heavy battleship:
Enormous battleships, lots of everything. Weapons, shielding and armour are top-notch. Usually the largest and most sturdy of these will be the flagship of the fleet. Their acceleration and maneuverability is low, however.

Battleship:
Heavy weaponry and armour are the focus. Faster than a super heavy battleship, but not by much. Carries the most drones and CFs; the Federation CF carrier has gradually gotten more and more guns and armour until it is indistinguishable from a battleship.

Cruisers:
Lightly armoured and gunned, consists of the fastest ships in the fleet. Might carry a small contingent of drones or CFs, if we are talking about the Star League or Federation, but it is also common to find cruisers that don't provide the hangar space in order to achieve a smaller profile and a faster speed.

As for differences between the factions, in general;

The Federation's doctrine continues to revolve around frames - the warships tend to act as support units to the mechs, staying at long ranges to provide covering fire. They generally have smaller, less lightly armed and shielded ships, but the new black hole engines will allow them to punch above their weight.

The Empire focuses on armour and mass volleys, drowning the enemy in fire. They have a lot more missiles on their warships than other factions, and their warships are also sturdier.

The League's ships are built around particle beams. Their ships are more maneuverable than those of the other two factions as far as warships go, allowing them to constantly shift position to fire an accurate beam salvo. The drones act to screen enemy fire and also to pin the enemy fleet in position with relentless attacks.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, do the fleets and legions have specializations, or are they equally good at everything?
One thing we ought to consider is that Epsilon is at Tejat A at the moment. It would be a smart tactical move for them to block off such a strategic location, particularly if they're expecting us to come there. In fact, this is a somewhat likely place for them to be. treave, I know that we don't know where Epsilon is, but do we at least know where they're not? That is, are we confident that Tejat A is clear?
Hmm, the reasons I want Ean to go to the siege are these: he will have competent officers with many years of experience to act as his advisors and enough professionalism not to drown him in dwama; and he will get a fuckhueg force of almost three hundred thousand warships and CFs of all shapes and sizes, which will allow him yo expetiment and learn from experience. Remember, the dude wasn't around for all the high-tech stuff (I doubt he even handled a pistol when in chapter seven), let him ease into it before we start sending him (or rather, let him; hell, I'm half-confident he'll figure out the ramming tactic within five minutes of the engagement) on crazy missions
“The treatise was interesting, to say the least. Adapting one’s mind to think in the three dimensional structure of space as a battlefield is not as easy as it seems. I’m afraid I will never be a very good pilot. I prefer the feeling of my feet on the ground as I run at my enemies.”

“But?”

Ean laughs heartily. “Yes, there is a but. But I think I can imagine the flow of battle, now that I have fully understood the weapons involved. The fundamental nature of warfare has not yet changed. Misdirection, organization, location; all of these are still as important as they were thousands of years ago. I look forward to testing my skills against the Star League.”

“I don’t recall commanding anything more than a hundred thousand men. This is quite different.”

'Sides, I thing the supergeniuses Belly-A and Senya (the brains and the balls, respectively) can handle Epsilon together. I really want to se them working as a tag team.
The drones act to screen enemy fire and also to pin the enemy fleet in position with relentless attacks.
Yeah, we really need a counter for drones, they're the bread-and-butter of the League. Besides, it's not like we can't freeze up and inconvenience smaller ships, too. The description says that only superhumans with high regen can nullify it. Well, it just so happens that the League has way less superhumans than the Empire. :smug:
I'm just not sure if I should sacrifice the drones or the armor from my vote.

Multifaceted discussion hitting mind and keyboard, OMG ITZ HEAVAN!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Each of the fleets, legions and armadas are relatively well-balanced, though some focus on heavier ships than most. For the Empire and the League, most of the specialization comes into play at lower levels of organization, while for the Federation they rely on their CFs to be outfitted for different missions - a mech kitted out for planetary assault and landings and a mech kitted out for fleet defense will not have the same load-out.

I think Baltika is right that we need to keep a handle on the possible traitors and I think Esquilax is right that Ean may be better suited to assault the planet. Again, Ean's not nearly as useful in space and, should it come to it, he could overpower any enemy heavies a ground war.

As for our targets and the grouping of our fleets, I'm compiling all current information in a somewhat easier to read format (for me at least), which I will post. I'll have it ready soon and then present my strategy (probably similar to Esquilax's, but I won't know til I've gone through all the information).

edit: alright, all done. sorry if this only ends up useful to me. anyway, took a while and I still don't have a plan yet. will come up with one after I get some sleep.

Ultimate Objective:
As we can see here, our final goal is located right on the brink of the supermassive black hole, within the Carneus Alpha star system consisting of a red giant and sixteen planets. The entirety of Carneus Alpha is filled with defense drones. These will fire upon anything that strays close to the system as long as the League is not yet defeated. Approaching it directly is not an option. The closest we can get before crushing them will be Carneus Beta, the last jump point before reaching our goal at Alpha.

Given the number of Imperial ships that we have to carry through, we will only be able to reach these three systems. Each of them is close to a slipspace route that will lead us closer to Carneus Alpha. [If we split up our forces, we would only be able to coordinate properly once we are in the same system again.]

Target Systems:
Gelmark:
Gelmark is one of the League’s fortress systems. Sector Armada Delta is stationed there at the moment, but it provides us with one of the quickest routes to Carneus Beta, allowing us to get there within four jumps.

Fortress systems have a string of space fortresses with very big guns. Gelmark is a natural choke-point for travel towards the Carneus Alpha system, which is why it has been very heavily fortified with more than twenty moon-sized movable fortresses orbiting its star. Of course, the inhabited planets there have good planetary defenses and a strong garrison, but there is no need to land unless you want to occupy. Boarding and hijacking a space fortress is definitely possible though.

Dormungan:
Dormungan is also occupied, but we should not see any significant League presence. From there we can reach Gelmark in three jumps, or reach Carneus Beta within eight.

Tejat A:
Finally, Tejat A is an uninhabited system and the most remote. However, it allows us to reach one of the League’s prize-worlds, Bainur, within two jumps. From there, we can reach Gelmark and Dormungan with just one jump each, or reach Carneus Beta with five.”

Bainur is something akin to a resort world. Stunningly beautiful and pristine. As for why the League would prioritise it so much, it is a playground of their VIPs and at any time you can find plenty of important people from all over the Star League. If you're lucky you might even catch their President vacationing there. Now, the Council itself doesn't really give a shit, but the system they've created in segregating the fleets by place of origin means that if Bainur is seriously threatened they will need to act to dispel the threat or really lose face and possibly face a mutiny from the affected fleets.

It's actually a bit more complex than this but that's about the gist of it. You can decide how to handle the Bainur situation if you send Senya there. If not it'll be up to whoever's commanding the force that heads there.

Tactical Breakdown:

Grand Marshal Ean Commanding ([immortal; power of the tree makes him excel at ground combat; can keep his troops in line using oppressive presence and old fashion intimidation]):

Federation Fleets:
1st fleet (Harlsen)
3 super heavy battleships
150 battleships
2000 cruisers
7500 combat frames

2nd fleet (Kadowaki [potential traitor])
1 super heavy battleship
100 battleships
1400 cruisers
6000 combat frames

3rd fleet (Grimrock, Garland, Senya [and la bomba])
Anhur-Shu
1 asteroid battle-station
1 super heavy battleship
10 battleships
500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

4th Fleet (Kuran [seemed to identify with traitors when Jheverg threatened them, but could just have been identifying with the Federation in general])
1 super heavy battleship
80 battleships
1650 cruisers
4500 combat frames

5th Fleet (Richardson [seems to excited to get down to the action; said "By Ean" - could indicate some reverence of Ean])
1 super heavy battleship
70 battleships
1500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

6th Fleet (Fennell [tried to get everyone to calm down and work together])
1 super heavy battleship
110 battleships
1250 cruisers
5500 combat frames

7th fleet (Hasting [traitor's lover; antagonizes Bel-Adrasteia])
1 super heavy battleship
90 battleships
1100 cruisers
4300 combat frames

Imperial Legions:
Dragon’s Guard (Adrahasis [tactician])
815 super heavy battleships
10931 battleships
54106 cruisers

Raven’s Lance (Berith [also tried to get everyone to calm down and work together])
500 super heavy battleships
10500 battleships
68500 cruisers

Devourer’s Hammer (Rahuk [compensating])
1939 super heavy battleships
27710 battleships
33362 cruisers

Emperor’s Sword (Bel-Adrasteia [aggressive; openly near violent toward insolent/traitorous allies])
2350 super heavy battleships
21580 battleships
46000 cruisers

Serpent’s Wing (Jheverg [fanatic; threatened probable traitor/traitor's lover])
700 super heavy battleships
13500 battleships
55000 cruisers

Wolf’s Shield Legion (Vermilis [compensating])
731 super heavy battleships
9988 battleships
51319 cruisers

Report on Enemy Star League Armada (Estimates):
Sector Armada Alpha (Council of Nine [toughest challenge])
(en route to the galactic core to await us)
1000 super heavy battleships
20000 battleships
80000 cruisers
2550000 drones

Sector Armada Beta (Helkyon Farges [one of the best commanders; probable council seat successor])
(en route to combat zone; one week away)
400 super heavy battleships
10000 battleships
100000 cruisers
3000000 drones

Sector Armada Gamma (Shan Goranes [unknown])
(en route to combat zone; one week away)
600 super heavy battleships
8500 battleships
95000 cruisers
2300000 drones

Sector Armada Delta (Volkin Swicks [prefers Imperial style of engagement - advancing with the support of heavy firepower; Hasting - potential traitor's lover - served under him])
(at Gelmark)
2000 super heavy battleships
25000 battleships
35000 cruisers
1000000 drones

Expeditionary Fleet Epsilon (unknown)
10 super heavy battleships
3000 battleships
10000 cruisers
50000 combat frames

The use of frames in Epsilon is experimental, formed after seeing the Federation's use of mechs. They are higher-specced and the pilots a lot more integrated with their machines. Expect Anhur mk II levels of performance from each CF. However, their pilots are generally inexperienced and the bulk of them were trained by Federation veterans like Vic Camna. There are a few notable aces, but we'll get to that when we encounter Epsilon.

Intel:
Besides Delta (at Gelmark), we expect Beta and Gamma to be currently stationed in Imperial territory. They will have begun pulling back now that they know of our mission, but it will take them another week to arrive in the region of engagement. As for Armada Alpha, they should depart from the League’s home systems and begin heading towards the core to lie in wait for us. [Epsilon's location is unknown.]

I would not put too much certainty in these reports. They are likely to be correct, but as Adrahasis has demonstrated before this, it is possible to camouflage fleet movements via slipspace. We may yet be surprised.

Analysis of Ships and Weapons:

Ships:
Super heavy battleship:
Enormous battleships, lots of everything. Weapons, shielding and armour are top-notch. Usually the largest and most sturdy of these will be the flagship of the fleet. Their acceleration and maneuverability is low, however.

Battleship:
Heavy weaponry and armour are the focus. Faster than a super heavy battleship, but not by much. Carries the most drones and CFs; the Federation CF carrier has gradually gotten more and more guns and armour until it is indistinguishable from a battleship.

Cruisers:
Lightly armoured and gunned, consists of the fastest ships in the fleet. Might carry a small contingent of drones or CFs, if we are talking about the Star League or Federation, but it is also common to find cruisers that don't provide the hangar space in order to achieve a smaller profile and a faster speed.

Differences in Faction Ships And Weapons:
The Federation's doctrine continues to revolve around frames - the warships tend to act as support units to the mechs, staying at long ranges to provide covering fire. They generally have smaller, less lightly armed and shielded ships, but the new black hole engines will allow them to punch above their weight.

The Empire focuses on armour and mass volleys, drowning the enemy in fire. They have a lot more missiles on their warships than other factions, and their warships are also sturdier.

The League's ships are built around particle beams. Their ships are more maneuverable than those of the other two factions as far as warships go, allowing them to constantly shift position to fire an accurate beam salvo. The drones act to screen enemy fire and also to pin the enemy fleet in position with relentless attacks.

Each of the fleets, legions and armadas are relatively well-balanced, though some focus on heavier ships than most. For the Empire and the League, most of the specialization comes into play at lower levels of organization, while for the Federation they rely on their CFs to be outfitted for different missions - a mech kitted out for planetary assault and landings and a mech kitted out for fleet defense will not have the same load-out.

Options (because I hate going back to another page to look this up):
A. Gather all the forces together and pick a system to arrive in. Splitting up will become a headache later should anything unexpected happen.
1. Gelmark. Making their stronghold the first site of battle will definitely surprise them. This is a good chance to destroy one of their Sector Armadas, severely reducing their forces before the other fleets can arrive to reinforce Delta.
2. Dormungan. Playing it safe, we can still hit Gelmark or opt to travel further into the core. This will provide the least chances of encountering the enemy, allowing us to get into position and prepare in advance.
3. Tejat A. This gives us the most options to follow up on. Besides that, Bainur is an important planet to the Star League. Attacking and holding it is sure to attract the attention of every League force. This could be useful.

B. Divide the forces and hit the systems simultaneously. (Free form plan, but each Imperial legion must initially be accompanied by at least one Federation fleet. There are multiple branches from each initial system later on so there is no need to plan the entire campaign with too much detail. Just dividing and assigning general aims for each task force will do).

Esquilax

Arcane
Thanks for that summary, Lambchop19. However, isn't Grimrock in charge of the 3rd fleet?

If you look at the estimates of Star League forces, you'll notice that Delta has significantly less drones (1 million) compared to Alpha (2.55 million), Beta (3 million) and Gamma (2.3 million). As the update mentioned, their leader Volkin Swicks prefers an Imperial style of engagement, meaning that the drones are less of a threat than they are with the other armadas. I'm not saying we should ignore them, but rather they aren't as big of a problem as the 20 moon-sized fortresses or the 2,000 super-heavy battleships we'll have to deal with. So the question is: how do we split our forces up?

Based partially on Baltika9's suggestions, I'm offering up this proposal:

Gelmark

Devourer’s Hammer (Rahuk [compensating])
1939 super heavy battleships
27710 battleships
33362 cruisers

1st fleet (Harlsen)
3 super heavy battleships
150 battleships
2000 cruisers
7500 combat frames

Emperor’s Sword (Bel-Adrasteia [aggressive; openly near violent toward insolent/traitorous allies])
2350 super heavy battleships
21580 battleships
46000 cruisers

5th Fleet (Richardson [seems to excited to get down to the action; said "By Ean" - could indicate some reverence of Ean])
1 super heavy battleship
70 battleships
1500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

Serpent’s Wing (Jheverg [fanatic; threatened probable traitor/traitor's lover])
700 super heavy battleships
13500 battleships
55000 cruisers

6th Fleet (Fennell [tried to get everyone to calm down and work together])
1 super heavy battleship
110 battleships
1250 cruisers
5500 combat frames

Wolf’s Shield Legion (Vermilis [compensating])
731 super heavy battleships
9988 battleships
51319 cruisers

7th fleet (Hasting [traitor's lover; antagonizes Bel-Adrasteia])
1 super heavy battleship
90 battleships
1100 cruisers
4300 combat frames

I know my last pick with bringing Hasting to fight Delta will be controversial considering she managed to piss off every single Imperial ally we have almost instantly, but we have to remember that Hasting served under the Star League commander that we'll be fighting there, and as a result she's going to have the best idea of what our enemy is going to do. I am hoping that the cooler Federation heads that will tag along will manage to maintain a decent relationship with the Empire forces despite her best efforts to fuck everything up.

I'm also kinda iffy about Jheverg: the dude said that he was loyal to Senya, and I believe him, but I don't know how much that loyalty extends to Ean. Ean managed to instill some healthy fear and respect into Adrasteia, which is good considering she leads our largest army, but we'll see how the Grand-Marshall manages to get everyone else to fall into line. Nevertheless, we are assaulting a well-defended area, so it's probably the best to err on the side of MOAR troops.

Also, I'd like to point out that since we've got the element of surprise, having Ean hijack a fortress seems like a pretty awesome and viable option here.

I'm open to hearing counter-arguments on these particular choices, though.

Tejat A:

2nd fleet (Kadowaki [potential traitor])
1 super heavy battleship
100 battleships
1400 cruisers
6000 combat frames

Dragon’s Guard (Adrahasis [tactician])
815 super heavy battleships
10931 battleships
54106 cruisers

3rd fleet (Senya [and la bomba])
Anhur-Shu
1 asteroid battle-station
1 super heavy battleship
10 battleships
500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

Raven’s Lance (Berith [also tried to get everyone to calm down and work together])
500 super heavy battleships
10500 battleships
68500 cruisers

4th Fleet (Kuran [seemed to identify with traitors when Jheverg threatened them, but could just have been identifying with the Federation in general])
1 super heavy battleship
80 battleships
1650 cruisers
4500 combat frames

This force is smaller and is going to be in a location with more tactical options, so bringing Adrahasis along to make the most of it is a no-brainer. However, the most questionable person IMO to bring to Tejat is Senya because his planet-busting black hole gun could wreak havoc on the fortresses at Gelmark. At the same time, we still need Anhur-Shu to provide much needed teeth to this much smaller force.

It's also unfortunate that 3rd fleet is here because having Admiral Grimrock with Hasting could do a lot to keep her bullshit in check.

Baltika9

Arcane
Thanks for compiling all the data, bro. But we also can't forget about these guys
And then, finally, in a chase that lasted more than a year, Shulgi was finally cornered by the Star League spec-ops and the bulk of the surviving Federation military. He was captured and executed by being sent into the sun, sealing the deal between the Federation and the Star League...

Good thing we have our own guys that can confidently say "FUCK SPECIAL FORCES!" Still, they're not a resource to be underestimated.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait, treave, since Sek and Ean are so close and spent a thousand years together, how far can they communicate?

I'm thinking of dividing them between two groups and using them as, basically, radiomen, if that is at all possible.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not doable in their physical form for now. You will use Kyrie in a pinch but it's not guaranteed to be instant.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Esquilax
How about taking Grimrock, Kadowaki and Kuran and their fleets to Gelmark instead of Fennel, Harlsen and Richardson and theirs? This will put potential traitors under Senya's and Ean's combined thumb, provide a voice of reason and calming influence on Hasting in the form of Grimrock, while at the same time giving a huge vote of confidence to Adrahasis, by leaving him in sole command of a competent fleet group.

treave
1. I count six Deities. Where are the two remaining ones?
2. Explain the tech we're using to me, and how it should relate to our strategy. If I understand correctly, it is impossible to make a single slipspace jump to any of our targets from Earth? We can only reach those targets due to our wormhole tech, right? The wormhole tech of which only Mere Traliss knows anything on the League side of things. Of course she'd tell the Council what we're capable of, but they'd only have estimates to work with, and in no way they would be able to forsee that we can bring entire Imperial Legions so deep into their territory.
So what's the deepest they should be expecting us at? How far can we get into their turf from Earth with conventional slipspace drives before encountering significant resistance?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom