Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. I updated the fleet list with Grimrock commanding the 3rd (and put Garland there too) per your suggestion.

I'm still formulating, but could we not have a smaller force assault the fortresses at Gelmark and put Senya there to cause havoc and destroy everything?

Trying to hold a world like Gelmark and to fight a ground war and everything would be next to impossible. We don't have time for it. We need absolute destruction and there is only one device that can do it - Anhur-Shu. Given that we know Delta's commander favors very conventional battle tactics, we should counter him by being unconventional and there is no one better at that than Senya.

Plus, if you want to capture a fortress, we need Garland's ramming expertise (3rd fleet with Senya). Not that I want that, mind you. Capturing the fortress could be fruitless because when we do it will either self-destruct or the other 20 fortresses will open fire on it, killing it and our boarding party. Better just to black hole everything. But we could bring Ean along if you guys really want to board... I'm undecided at this point.

Also, I'm hesitant to send either of the fleets who's commanders are compensating to Gelmark. Some here seem to read compensating as them doing a better job, but I read it as them being reckless in their pursuit of honor - exactly what we don't need when facing down superior numbers.

We have to take Hastings only to Gelmark. Separate the lovers. Together they might feel emboldened to betray, but separate they'll be concerned for one another's safety.

The rest of our forces will proceed under the command of Adrahasis to the prize world via Tejat A. Why so many? Because first off, we're trying to TAKE this world. Secondly, as soon as the enemy see their prize is threatened they will begin sending the bulk of their forces to defend it (which will happen the moment they begin they're journey...unless Adrahasis masks their travel via slipspace trickery...).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait, wasn't the original plan to threaten their prize world to draw out Epsilon (which is why it's such a bad idea tosend Senya with the main assault: we need Senya to give those guys much needed teeth. As it stands, they're an extremely agile force, but they can stend to have more bite; And I want to see Senya and Adrahasis wofking together), not take it? Why the hell would we do that, what do we need that planet for? I can understand taking the Gelmark system and repurposing it as our own stronghold to surprise the incoming Armadas, but even then we would be expending valuable time.

Likewise, I don't think shaving forces off of Gelmark's assault is such a bright idea: it's a fortress system, ffs. And wasn't the whole reason Senya placed Ean in command was so that he could, y'know, command? Ean said he can adjust to space strategy, but not frame piloting, and we really ought to let him grow into that role. A battle like this is the perfect thing to cut his teeth on.

Besides, I think Ean is the last guy we need to lecture on how to perform ballsy and unconventional maneuvers. He'll figure out ramming tactics very quickly, I'm sure :lol:.

So, yeah, I'm good with the original plan Esquilax posted, except I want to team up Adrasteia and Hasting for reasons I stated earlier.

^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    A catfight followed by some steamy girl-on-girl?

Lambchop19, so is a configuration like this something you're looking for? Also, I'd like to point out that whether we're outnumbered at Gelmark or not really depends on the sort of firepower that we're bringing along. In the sort of plan that I think you'd prefer, we would be outnumbered, but we'd of course have Anhur-Shu to really level the playing field:

My reasoning for these picks is that this smaller force is greatly bolstered by Senya's presence and the black hole cannon he possesses. Jheverg might be a fanatic and a hothead, but he is also doggedly loyal to Senya, so I see actually see relatively few personality issues going on with him. Grimrock can keep Hasting in check, and it's important that Senya is around to monitor Kadowaki given how discontented he is. Hasting is also the only one we've got who's familiar with the command of Delta, so she might have an idea of what sort of tricks he'll have up his sleeve.

Given the element of surprise and Senya already being accustomed to fighting Imperial-style opponents, I believe we've got the tools here to take on Delta despite the advantages of number and being so well dug-in.

Once they realize that the forces at Gelmark have been taken out by Senya and we've come after one of their important worlds, they're definitely going to be drawn out into a fight against us. And we better be fucking sure that we have the numbers to take them on. A planetary assault seems like a great use of Ean's skills, and when it comes to actual space combat, Adrahasis will be more than capable of showing him the ropes.

I know that Rahuk and Vermilis might try to overcompensate in an attempt to regain their honour, but we need Rahuk's massive army and I believe that Ean has the dominant force of personality to rein them in. Hell, if he managed to rein Adrasteia in, I'm pretty confident he can keep Rahuk and Vermilis from acting foolishly.

Also, if we successfully draw Alpha into a fight on Bainur (not hard if Delta is toast), then if we can work some tactics to get Ean to knock off a few Council members, we would be in a great position.

What do you bros think?

^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    This is a awesome discussion, but I really need to process all this info in before properly opinating.
    I do agree we really need to keep tab on potential traitors. We're fighting for the future of all life, it is really the wrong time for in-fighting and desertion.

I'm really tempted to just send all our forces to Gelmak and blow their fortresses and fleet. Why? Because concentrating all our power on Gelmak gives us Lancastrian advantage (Bigger numbers >>> Smaller numbers) and Anhur-Shu gives us the edge on firepower. Taking out a chunk of their fleet in one go tips our hand earlier, but turns numbers definitively to our advantage. Also totalling Gelmak means they can't just send all their forces to Gelmak once our first attacks win and then make a last stand behind their network of Star Fortresses, where by then they will have figured out tactics to fight Senya's black hole weaponry. Also if we manage to destroy their fleet without any stagglers fleeing, the enemy still remains in the dark regarding the Anhur-Shur capacities.

^ Top  
  5. edit: Baltika9
    So do you want Ean to command the fleet or board the fortress? He can't do both you know.

Seriously, the prize planet invasion fleet will have enough "teeth" with Adrahasis and all those fleets. And Adrahasis is the actual planetary invasion expert, all we've managed to do with planets is get them destroyed (see Earth, Uranus, Uranus' moons, Jupiter...).

The plan as I see it, could be to send Senya in to distract and take out targets of opportunity with black holes, while Ean boards one of the fortresses. We should still bring enough ships to go toe-to-toe with Delta fleet though, just in case. After we're done, all that should be left of this system should be debris and a lot of black holes. Then we move to defend the prize planet and assist Adrahasis who doubtless will have taken it by the time we get there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You sure that such a light fleet will be enough? Not to mention having Kadowaki and Hasting and Hasting's former commander in the same battlefield as the dude that threatened to execute all traitors.

And I've yet to understand why we need to actually capture that world: I think the threat alone will be enough to lure Epsilon. Unless we're setting up some kind of ambush for Alpha and the council on the planet, which I can totally understand: once the Nine are on a planet with Tree Ean, they're p. much fucked.
    I actually meant this
    Call it a gut feeling.

But now that you mention it...

Fuck yeah. What better way to isolate Kadowaki than turning his only real supporter with the power of luv?

^ Top  
  7. I think so. Given that the idea is just to shield our fleet until Senya has black-holed most of the fortresses and drones, then our fleet, Senya and the captured fort will kill all survivors.
    No, I said separate the lovers. Kadowaki will be going on the invasion mission.

edit#50million: Ah, I see you were reffering to E's plan. Esquilax, I don't think Senya needs to be over Kadowak. He is a power-hungry coward who wants to sell us out so he can be a Star League lapdog again. Don't think any amount of monitoring of his emotional state will do any good. Having the other federation admirals to keep him calm there and his lover as a pseudo hostage far away is far more effective.

Adrasteia is more likely to eat Hastings face than any other part of her, Baltika.:roll:
    edit: With two aggressive personalities, think beta-fish - which kill each other if you put them in the same bowl.

edit: Esquilax, if we bring Ean, yeah, he might be able to reign in Hammerfleet - which alone could hold their own against Delta if it weren't for the drones and fortresses. Add Hastings, plus us, Ean, and the 3rd fleet and you just might have a winning plan.

edit:
    I think we'd just end up with a really crowded and confusing battle that would be difficult to use our black holes in without killing our own forces...

I concur. :fistofbroness: I think Senya can handle it himself with a smaller force though...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I was referring to Esquilax's plan, since I am against having Ean and Senya in the same battlefleet. Both forces will need strong characters and what Ean lacks in space experience, he really makes up for in pure authority. I am absolutely sure our bro can handle whatever command we give him.
    I... don't see anything wrong with that. Love can bloom... slowly.
    Edit: doublepost. And I'm still In favor of the original plan: Ean-Gelmark/Senya-Tejat.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Alright, I think this could be enough for the fortress world:
    Note the large amount of cruisers - perfect for defending against the drones while Senya does his thing. Jheverg and Hastings are there, but with Berit and Ean to calm them.

Again, this group could never win without Senya. For one thing, they are quite short on Super Heavies. But if Senya can tear up enough of the enemy, they should be able to help mop up the survivors.

The rest of the fleets take the prize world under Adrahasis.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Oh, and if you don't want Senya and Ean together, I guess it could still work with Ean in command of the invasion fleet and Adrahasis there as his adviser. (same job he had with Marduk, so it should be strange to him.)

We just might have a lot more difficulty capturing a fortress - assuming we want to do that. Still may be doable given the superhumans both on our side and the Empire's though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Guys, seriously, I fail to see why we need to actually fight for and capture the League's shrine world. Help me out here.

Does anyone have a plan for it, or is it "just because?"

^ Top  
  12. Sorry, meant to get to this.

Our goal is to crush the League - otherwise the Masters' defense drones will kill us on sight.

We have a choice - go around the galaxy hunting them down, slowly being drawn into a war of attrition that we can't maintain and possibly getting our forces wiped out in numerous ambushes and traps... Or we can take one of their finest worlds, wounding both their might and their pride, so that they come charging in to take it back - right into OUR trap.

Also, I suppose distracting them with that world could let us capture other worlds while they are busy fighting us there.

edit: Or we could just turn the one of prize world's moons into a solar system destroying bomb and wait for them to get there, then wormhole out. *kaboom*

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Aren't they already coming at us with all they've got?

^ Top  
  14. Not in one place, no. And not with their faces all red will anger cuz we took their little blue ball. :D People make mistakes when they are angry and emotional. Immortals are no different.

Right now they are stationing different forces in different systems per the update. Delta in the fortress, Alpha near the core, Beta and Gamma on the way to the battle zone etc.

Anyway, in order to crush them, we'll need to take this world eventually, won't we?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I have no idea what you're talking about here. Where are you getting this stuff from? Why would he care if Hasting is somewhere else? How are they "lovers"? I don't know where to begin with this. This is small-fry shit, not important.

Anyways, we can't have Ean and Senya with the same task force, that will weaken the other force too much. One of them need to be leading each group. Sending Ean to assault Bainur makes sense because it would involve a ground assault, so it's more suited to his skills.

To draw out their fleets. We don't know where Epsilon is, and Alpha (the most dangerous fleet) is still hanging back deep in League territory. Merely taking the planet allows them to consolidate, but if we manage to take the planet and take out Delta Squadron, then we can force their hand. We won't have Anhur-Shu in this scenario, but we will have a gigantic force of battleships, Adrahasis and Ean.

However, where I disagree completely with Lambchop19 is that the invasion of Bainur should occur only with Adrahasis leading - this is a big mistake. We need Ean to lead the assault of the planet with minimal casaulties once he hits the ground, and again to draw the Council into a confrontation with him once hopefully Alpha takes the bait; if we can get Ean into a position to take on a few Council members in direct combat, they're in deep shit. Also, we need Ean there to rein in the overcompensating personalities of Rahuk and Vermilis, something he can probably do more effectively than Senya.

This is also why we probably need a larger force at Tejat A - they've got the tougher task and they don't have Anhur-Shu. While Senya's group would fight Delta, the force assaulting Bainur would be at the very least end up fighting Alpha and/or Epsilon. There's a chance that they might end up drawing in Beta and Gamma as they return to League Space, though hopefully at that point we will have enough time for Senya's group to reinforce us and unleash a few black holes their way.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No, we won't need to conquer it. The goal is Carneus Alpha, the shortest route to which lies through the fortress-system.

What's so important about this planet anyway, treave?

^ Top  
  17. edit: Baltika, no, the goal is first to crush the League, THEN Carneus Alpha. Otherwise, the Masters' drones will fry us, remember? Heck, you were the one who voted for all this warfare shit, not me. I wanted either a sun-bomb/surrender or stealth.

Fine with me. I just thought people would want Ean to capture a fortress cuz this is the codex and we do stupid larpy shit like that. :shrug:

Also:
    Maybe they aren't actually lovers, I don't know/care. They like eachother though and its always harder to run to the enemy on your own - esp. if you are worried about what may happen to a friend when you leave.

The small fry shit IS important or treave wouldn't have wasted a whole update just to show us how the Admirals interacted with each other.
    Again, good points. I agree.
    Again, I agree completely.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax

What do you propose as an alternative? I don't care about Bainur itself, I just think that if we manage to wipe out Delta with Senya's force, conquering the planet will force them into making an emotional decision by assaulting the planet and revealing the location of Epsilon Squadron. Take note of this:

Consider that if we destroy Delta and take Bainur, they may no longer be content to lie in wait for us. With Delta destroyed and hopefully Beta and Gamma not around yet, this might be enough to make them act rashly - at the very least, it will be enough to draw Epsilon out of hiding. To be honest, I'd prefer not to go where they're waiting for us - that would be fighting on their terms. Let them fight on ours.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Exactly, that was the original plan: the threat to Bainur diverts Epsilon's attention (because the last rhing our siege fleet needs is an Armada popping up in their rear) and draws them out. They are then promptly dispatched by the Adrahasis-Senya broteam who are now in position to offer support to the siege or set up more ambushes.

I see no reason to actually capture Bainur through a ground invasion unless it somehow advantages the enemy. Hell, if we want to just piss off the League, make a propaganda video of the Imperial Fleet bombing it into smithereens and move on.

The only reason for occupation I see is this
    and even then it is too iffy: how will we lure the council to the surface, etc...

Why do that when we can board their ship/ANNIHILATION CANNON them?

^ Top  
  20. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV

This is the plan I agree with most so far, except swap Kadowaki with another Terran fleet.

Some things I think are essential:
    1. Separate Ean and Senya and pair Adrahasis with Ean. These are our three best leaders, we need at least one with each group. Ean lacks space combat experience and Adrahasis is best suited to bring him up to speed.
    2. Put Senya with a small armada and Ean/Bel-Air with the large one. Senya can solo shit as we saw earlier, he just needs a bit of backup. The other two can work more tactical wizardry with larger numbers.
    3. Separate Kadowaki from Hastings and Hastings from Adrasteia. As Lambchop said, treave wouldn't have shown us their interactions if it didn't have some potential ramifications. Keep the potentially traitorous lovers apart and keep the cat-fighters apart (these two are not going to become BFF's over the course of one battle, regardless of what Baltika dreams).

Apart from that I don't particularly care which group goes where or the finer details of armada makeup. I'll let the more dedicated Codexians hash that out. ;)

Anyone crazy enough to try to tally the upgrade votes? I'm curious as to where they stand.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9: Again, the text of the choice to attack the prize world mentions us "holding" it. It's not like it was our idea. And who says we have to lure them to the surface? Sure, it'd be nice, but we could always have Ean board their ship, or just blow up the solar system, or crush their forces and offer them their lives if they surrender. There are a lot of options and the ball would be in our court - as opposed to us walking right into the ambush we know they are setting for us near the center of the galaxy...

Also, I might note that it may not be too good an idea to rely too much on our fancy tech when dealing with the League's Council. They know about how the nanites work. They've forbidden nanotech research, but who's to say they haven't researched on their own and unlocked every ounce of their own potential? It may be that they could shield themselves from black holes and annihilation cannons with their combined telekinesis. (Though I wonder for how long given the voices "battery-like" tendency to run out.) Something to consider.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I can't believe I forgot: Ean has mind reading skills, which means Kadowaki (whom I for some reason want to call Kawasaki) can't pull shit on him, being a regular human and all. Putting Bel-Air with Ean is actually a pretty good idea, as per Scuba's arguments.

In that case: Hasting needs to come with Grimrock, who'll be able to shut down her bullshit pretty quickly, making this battlefleet the natural choice for Gelmark. Let me draw up a roster.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I propose a slight alteration of Esquilax 's plan, which I also vote for.

Battlefleet Ean- Tejat A:
    Full-on heavy invasion force to make the League crap their pants.
    Emperor's Sword- 1st Fleet, the heavy hitters.
    Dragon's Guard- 2nd Fleet, the command team. Place Ean with this group so he can keep his mind on Kadowaki and coordinate with Adrahasis.
    Devourer's Hammer- 5th Fleet, let these two do their gung-ho stuff. (I'd love to put Ean on the same ship as Richardson, though).
    Wolf's Shield- 4th Fleet, since all legions need a fleet with them. Personally, I'd like for another enthusiast like Richardson. But this pair shouldn't have conflicts, the Admiral was probably offended with Jherveg's threat, understandably so.

Battlefleet Hoshikawa, Gelmark:
    The mobile light-fighters with good drone-suppression capabilities. Senya should be able to pull most of the weight. The good thing here is that Berith will keep Jherveg in check and Grimrock will do the same for Hasting.

Raven's Lance- 7th Fleet, Berith is the Empire's calmer commander to Hasting's firebrand, this pair should be fine.
    Serpent's Wing- 6th Fleet, and pair the devout one with the Federation's diplomat for minimum conflict.

Leaving the 3rd Fleet with Senya and Grimrock to do what they do best: solo shit and be the big damned heroes.

The big risk with this plan is that whomever is coming to reinforce this sector may notice how little forces Battlefllet Hoshikawa has and hit us when we least expect it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Baltika9, I like your plan, but why we are sending so few forces to Gelmak? Are we going to just black-hole their fleet, the space-fortresses and call it a day? I do think anihilating or taking Gelmak first is vital, it smells of Desperate Last Stand Here where our enemies can just hide behind the Star Fortresses and resist to the death. But would't a big fleet be better or it would be playing their game?

Thanks to Blackholes, through, we won't need so much firepower (until the final fight with The Masters, that is). I think investing in resistance and mobility is vital for now when we're fighting thousands of big ships, but firepower will come forth when it is time to fight the Masters. As it is, I think only perhaps the Council of Nine can put up some black-hole blocking shit (Devourer is too busy being Spaghettified in Uranus), but once they show up we sic Ean on them.

On the mecha equipment, I flip-flop to:
    III - Drones are going to be good here, give us more versatility
    VII - We need more armor, our mech is a glass-cannon for now. Also, extra ramming FTW!
    VIII (UPGRADE) - Gravity Wings afford us extra versatility, mobility AND even some defense.

^ Top  
  25. For a second there I thought you were only sending 2 fleets witth Senya's to Gelmark. :lol:

My one uncertainty is Kadowaki with the command fleet. His fleet is the second largest in the federation with 6000 combat frames.

I vote B with the Baltikan plan quoted above.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.