Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The other two are not good at command.

In the worst case scenario they're expecting you to jump directly to Carneus Beta. They're preparing for that eventuality. Traveling into their territory conventionally is a massive waste of time and not an option. There's nothing significant that you can reach in a four week radius that they'd care to defend. They're gathering near where you're headed, as according to your plan. Departing from Earth via slipspace just means they'll just use that time to ensure passage to the core becomes even more impenetrable.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Oh I did not for even amoment intend to depart from Earth via slipspace. The League, however can't know how effective our other means of transit are, so will plan their defence thinking we're still limited by slipspace travel times.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They don't, which is exactly why they're actually operating on the assumption that you can jump right to your target, which appears to fit in with their current fleet movements. They're not underestimating the wormhole capabilities; they're being very cautious and overestimating it. Rest assured that they are already on high alert.

By the way, they didn't need to find out from Mere, having extracted records of your rescue mission where you used the wormhole for the first time while the Autonomous Fleet was still under their purview.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, good thing we didn't show them our black hole cannon.
On the note of commander pairings: I'll propose something counter-intuitive, butbhear me out here. Let's pair up Adradteia with Hasting. I think that if these two will be forced to cooperate and rely on one another, they will quickly become either best buds or ultimate rivals*. Just look at their characters, they're very similar: both are hot-headed, agressive and talented with an offensive mindset. Besides which, Harlsen worked with an Imperial-stlyle fleet before, and no legion has as much firepower as Adrasteia. I think there is potential for synergy here.

The other two are not good at command.
Who are these two deities and what are they doing? And please tell me it's Ares ("R-Runi!? FUUUUUUU-").

Baltika9

Arcane
It's wishful thinking, really. No way Ares would be sitting this out.

I just want Ean's troll-toy back.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I think Senya should go to Gelmark. There is at least one enemy armada and his BHC packs a bigger punch should those fortresses prove too hard to conquer. Also I would put most the troublemakers under Senya and Ean (except for Adrasteia, who is kept under control by Adrahasis), while givind Adrahasis command at Tejat A.

Troops to Tejat A under Adrahasis:
Dragon’s Guard (Adrahasis [tactician])
815 super heavy battleships
10931 battleships
54106 cruisers

Emperor’s Sword (Bel-Adrasteia [aggressive; openly near violent toward insolent/traitorous allies])
2350 super heavy battleships
21580 battleships
46000 cruisers

1st fleet (Harlsen)
3 super heavy battleships
150 battleships
2000 cruisers
7500 combat frames

4th Fleet (Kuran [seemed to identify with traitors when Jheverg threatened them, but could just have been identifying with the Federation in general])
1 super heavy battleship
80 battleships
1650 cruisers
4500 combat frames

6th Fleet (Fennell [tried to get everyone to calm down and work together])
1 super heavy battleship
110 battleships
1250 cruisers
5500 combat frames

Adrasteia won't be giving us problems as long as Adrahasis keeps her in check. Harlsen and Fennell are capable of working together with empire troops and Kuran will unlikely cause problems when he is isolated of other troublemakers.

Total forces to Tejat A:
3170 or 45% of super heavy battleships
32851 or 35% of battleships
105006 or 33% of cruisers
17500 or 46% of combat frames

Troops to Gelmark under Senya and Ean:
3rd fleet (Senya [and la bomba])
Anhur-Shu
1 asteroid battle-station
1 super heavy battleship
10 battleships
500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

Devourer’s Hammer (Rahuk [compensating])
1939 super heavy battleships
27710 battleships
33362 cruisers

Raven’s Lance (Berith [also tried to get everyone to calm down and work together])
500 super heavy battleships
10500 battleships
68500 cruisers

Serpent’s Wing (Jheverg [fanatic; threatened probable traitor/traitor's lover])
700 super heavy battleships
13500 battleships
55000 cruisers

Wolf’s Shield Legion (Vermilis [compensating])
731 super heavy battleships
9988 battleships
51319 cruisers

2nd fleet (Kadowaki [potential traitor])
1 super heavy battleship
100 battleships
1400 cruisers
6000 combat frames

5th Fleet (Richardson [seems to excited to get down to the action; said "By Ean" - could indicate some reverence of Ean])
1 super heavy battleship
70 battleships
1500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

7th fleet (Hasting [traitor's lover; antagonizes Bel-Adrasteia])
1 super heavy battleship
90 battleships
1100 cruisers
4300 combat frames

Ean and Senya should be able to keep the troublemakers out of each others throats. Rahuk and Vermilis are put here because they are both compensating and are eager to show their bravery. I want the "by Ean" guy work with Ean. Just to see how Ean reacts. And Berith keeps Jheverg in control.

“That is right,” says Jheverg of the Serpent’s Wing. “We have decided to follow Sir Hoshikawa’s will, as he was the only one with any courage or foresight to replace the Emperor as the one who will carve our way to the heavens. The Star League may spare you if you surrender, but they will wipe us out to a man. We might not be able to hold back our forces from pre-emptive revenge upon those who betrayed us if that is the case.” He is the most devout of the Deities; though we had expected him to pose the most problems, he seems to have transferred his loyalty rather readily. Of course, I think that is contingent on me actually fulfilling my part of the bargain.

“That sounded like a threat,” muttered Admiral Kuran, one of the most senior and experienced admirals and leader of the 4th Fleet. “Are you sure you should be saying that?”

“I am sure he did not mean anything by this,” assures Admiral Fennell of the 6th Fleet. “Everyone should take a second to calm down. This is not professional at all.”

“That’s right. This is hardly the time for a tiff, my friends.” This time, Berith of the Raven’s Lance speaks up. She gives Jheverg a look of warning. “There is no need for that sort of language. We are all together in this.”

He protests. “I did not-“

Total forces to Gelmark:
Anhur-Shu
3871 or 55% of super heavy battleships
61968 or 65% of battleships
212681 or 67% of cruisers
20300 or 54% of combat frames

Esquilax

Arcane
How about taking Grimrock, Kadowaki and Kuran and their fleets to Gelmark instead of Fennel, Harlsen and Richardson and theirs? This will put potential traitors under Senya's and Ean's combined thumb, provide a voice of reason and calming influence on Hasting in the form of Grimrock, while at the same time giving a huge vote of confidence to Adrahasis, by leaving him in sole command of a competent fleet group.

That's all correct, I cant dispute that. However, while having both Senya and Ean at Gelmark would make the assault there much easier, it would really weaken our force in Tejat A. Having Anhur Shu there would make a big difference once we manage to draw the enemy out - which we will once they realize that their forces at Delta has been wiped out. Should we choose to make them desperate by taking their world, we'll have Senya's black hole cannon ready to spring out once they come after us.

The question in my mind is where Ean and Senya would be most useful. Now that I think about it, it seems that Ean would be most effective in attempting to take over Bainur (and hopefully in situations where he'd be fighting the Star League's Council of Nine once they're drawn out), while Senya would probably work best in wreaking havoc on the space-fortresses at Gelmark.

That being said, I could see Ean being useful if we can hijack one of their fortresses, or Senya being useful if we can bait Epsilon into revealing itself. Nevertheless, I think we need Ean and Senya separate in a multi-pronged assault.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I updated the fleet list with Grimrock commanding the 3rd (and put Garland there too) per your suggestion.

I'm still formulating, but could we not have a smaller force assault the fortresses at Gelmark and put Senya there to cause havoc and destroy everything?

Trying to hold a world like Gelmark and to fight a ground war and everything would be next to impossible. We don't have time for it. We need absolute destruction and there is only one device that can do it - Anhur-Shu. Given that we know Delta's commander favors very conventional battle tactics, we should counter him by being unconventional and there is no one better at that than Senya.

Plus, if you want to capture a fortress, we need Garland's ramming expertise (3rd fleet with Senya). Not that I want that, mind you. Capturing the fortress could be fruitless because when we do it will either self-destruct or the other 20 fortresses will open fire on it, killing it and our boarding party. Better just to black hole everything. But we could bring Ean along if you guys really want to board... I'm undecided at this point.

Also, I'm hesitant to send either of the fleets who's commanders are compensating to Gelmark. Some here seem to read compensating as them doing a better job, but I read it as them being reckless in their pursuit of honor - exactly what we don't need when facing down superior numbers.

We have to take Hastings only to Gelmark. Separate the lovers. Together they might feel emboldened to betray, but separate they'll be concerned for one another's safety.

The rest of our forces will proceed under the command of Adrahasis to the prize world via Tejat A. Why so many? Because first off, we're trying to TAKE this world. Secondly, as soon as the enemy see their prize is threatened they will begin sending the bulk of their forces to defend it (which will happen the moment they begin they're journey...unless Adrahasis masks their travel via slipspace trickery...).

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait, wasn't the original plan to threaten their prize world to draw out Epsilon (which is why it's such a bad idea tosend Senya with the main assault: we need Senya to give those guys much needed teeth. As it stands, they're an extremely agile force, but they can stend to have more bite; And I want to see Senya and Adrahasis wofking together), not take it? Why the hell would we do that, what do we need that planet for? I can understand taking the Gelmark system and repurposing it as our own stronghold to surprise the incoming Armadas, but even then we would be expending valuable time.

Likewise, I don't think shaving forces off of Gelmark's assault is such a bright idea: it's a fortress system, ffs. And wasn't the whole reason Senya placed Ean in command was so that he could, y'know, command? Ean said he can adjust to space strategy, but not frame piloting, and we really ought to let him grow into that role. A battle like this is the perfect thing to cut his teeth on.

Besides, I think Ean is the last guy we need to lecture on how to perform ballsy and unconventional maneuvers. He'll figure out ramming tactics very quickly, I'm sure :lol:.

So, yeah, I'm good with the original plan Esquilax posted, except I want to team up Adrasteia and Hasting for reasons I stated earlier.

Esquilax

Arcane
So, yeah, I'm good with the original plan Esquilax posted, except I want to team up Adrasteia and Hasting for reasons I stated earlier.

A catfight followed by some steamy girl-on-girl?

Lambchop19, so is a configuration like this something you're looking for? Also, I'd like to point out that whether we're outnumbered at Gelmark or not really depends on the sort of firepower that we're bringing along. In the sort of plan that I think you'd prefer, we would be outnumbered, but we'd of course have Anhur-Shu to really level the playing field:

Gelmark (led by Senya)

2nd fleet (Kadowaki)
3rd fleet (Senya, Grimrock)
Raven's Lance (Berith)
7th fleet (Hasting)
Serpent's Wings (Jheverg)

My reasoning for these picks is that this smaller force is greatly bolstered by Senya's presence and the black hole cannon he possesses. Jheverg might be a fanatic and a hothead, but he is also doggedly loyal to Senya, so I see actually see relatively few personality issues going on with him. Grimrock can keep Hasting in check, and it's important that Senya is around to monitor Kadowaki given how discontented he is. Hasting is also the only one we've got who's familiar with the command of Delta, so she might have an idea of what sort of tricks he'll have up his sleeve.

Given the element of surprise and Senya already being accustomed to fighting Imperial-style opponents, I believe we've got the tools here to take on Delta despite the advantages of number and being so well dug-in.

Tejat A (led by Grand-Marshall Ean)

1st Fleet (Harlsen)
Dragon's Guard (Adrahasis)
4th fleet (Kuran)
Emperor's Sword (Adrasteia)
5th Fleet (Richardson)
Devourer's Hammer (Rahuk)
6th fleet (Fennel)
Wolf's Shield (Vermilis)

Once they realize that the forces at Gelmark have been taken out by Senya and we've come after one of their important worlds, they're definitely going to be drawn out into a fight against us. And we better be fucking sure that we have the numbers to take them on. A planetary assault seems like a great use of Ean's skills, and when it comes to actual space combat, Adrahasis will be more than capable of showing him the ropes.

I know that Rahuk and Vermilis might try to overcompensate in an attempt to regain their honour, but we need Rahuk's massive army and I believe that Ean has the dominant force of personality to rein them in. Hell, if he managed to rein Adrasteia in, I'm pretty confident he can keep Rahuk and Vermilis from acting foolishly.

Also, if we successfully draw Alpha into a fight on Bainur (not hard if Delta is toast), then if we can work some tactics to get Ean to knock off a few Council members, we would be in a great position.

What do you bros think?

edit: Baltika9
So do you want Ean to command the fleet or board the fortress? He can't do both you know.

Seriously, the prize planet invasion fleet will have enough "teeth" with Adrahasis and all those fleets. And Adrahasis is the actual planetary invasion expert, all we've managed to do with planets is get them destroyed (see Earth, Uranus, Uranus' moons, Jupiter...).

The plan as I see it, could be to send Senya in to distract and take out targets of opportunity with black holes, while Ean boards one of the fortresses. We should still bring enough ships to go toe-to-toe with Delta fleet though, just in case. After we're done, all that should be left of this system should be debris and a lot of black holes. Then we move to defend the prize planet and assist Adrahasis who doubtless will have taken it by the time we get there.

Baltika9

Arcane
You sure that such a light fleet will be enough? Not to mention having Kadowaki and Hasting and Hasting's former commander in the same battlefield as the dude that threatened to execute all traitors.

And I've yet to understand why we need to actually capture that world: I think the threat alone will be enough to lure Epsilon. Unless we're setting up some kind of ambush for Alpha and the council on the planet, which I can totally understand: once the Nine are on a planet with Tree Ean, they're p. much fucked.

A catfight followed by some steamy girl-on-girl?
I actually meant this
On the note of commander pairings: I'll propose something counter-intuitive, but hear me out here. Let's pair up Adrasteia with Hasting. I think that if these two will be forced to cooperate and rely on one another, they will quickly become either best buds or ultimate rivals*. Just look at their characters, they're very similar: both are hot-headed, aggressive and talented with an offensive mindset. Besides which, Harlsen worked with an Imperial-style fleet before, and no legion has as much firepower as Adrasteia. I think there is potential for synergy here.
Call it a gut feeling.

But now that you mention it...

Fuck yeah. What better way to isolate Kadowaki than turning his only real supporter with the power of luv?

You sure that such a light fleet will be enough?
I think so. Given that the idea is just to shield our fleet until Senya has black-holed most of the fortresses and drones, then our fleet, Senya and the captured fort will kill all survivors.
Not to mention having Kadowaki and Hasting and Hasting's former commander in the same battlefield as the dude that threatened to execute all traitors.
No, I said separate the lovers. Kadowaki will be going on the invasion mission.

edit#50million: Ah, I see you were reffering to E's plan. Esquilax, I don't think Senya needs to be over Kadowak. He is a power-hungry coward who wants to sell us out so he can be a Star League lapdog again. Don't think any amount of monitoring of his emotional state will do any good. Having the other federation admirals to keep him calm there and his lover as a pseudo hostage far away is far more effective.

Adrasteia is more likely to eat Hastings face than any other part of her, Baltika.:roll:
edit: With two aggressive personalities, think beta-fish - which kill each other if you put them in the same bowl.

edit: Esquilax, if we bring Ean, yeah, he might be able to reign in Hammerfleet - which alone could hold their own against Delta if it weren't for the drones and fortresses. Add Hastings, plus us, Ean, and the 3rd fleet and you just might have a winning plan.

edit:
Because concentrating all our power on Gelmak gives us Lancastrian advantage (Bigger numbers >>> Smaller numbers) and Anhur-Shu gives us the edge on firepower.
I think we'd just end up with a really crowded and confusing battle that would be difficult to use our black holes in without killing our own forces...

Also totalling Gelmak means they can't just send all their forces to Gelmak once our first attacks win and then make a last stand behind their network of Star Fortresses
I concur. :fistofbroness: I think Senya can handle it himself with a smaller force though...

Baltika9

Arcane
I was referring to Esquilax's plan, since I am against having Ean and Senya in the same battlefleet. Both forces will need strong characters and what Ean lacks in space experience, he really makes up for in pure authority. I am absolutely sure our bro can handle whatever command we give him.
Adrasteia is more likely to eat Hastings face than any other part of her.:roll:
I... don't see anything wrong with that. Love can bloom... slowly.
Edit: doublepost. And I'm still In favor of the original plan: Ean-Gelmark/Senya-Tejat.

Alright, I think this could be enough for the fortress world:
Ean - to capture a fortress.

3rd fleet (Grimrock, Garland, Senya [and la bomba])
Anhur-Shu
1 super heavy battleship
10 battleships
500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

Raven’s Lance (Berith [also tried to get everyone to calm down and work together])
500 super heavy battleships
10500 battleships
68500 cruisers

Serpent’s Wing (Jheverg [fanatic; threatened probable traitor/traitor's lover])
700 super heavy battleships
13500 battleships
55000 cruisers

7th fleet (Hasting [traitor's lover; antagonizes Bel-Adrasteia])
1 super heavy battleship
90 battleships
1100 cruisers
4300 combat frames
Note the large amount of cruisers - perfect for defending against the drones while Senya does his thing. Jheverg and Hastings are there, but with Berit and Ean to calm them.

Again, this group could never win without Senya. For one thing, they are quite short on Super Heavies. But if Senya can tear up enough of the enemy, they should be able to help mop up the survivors.

The rest of the fleets take the prize world under Adrahasis.

Oh, and if you don't want Senya and Ean together, I guess it could still work with Ean in command of the invasion fleet and Adrahasis there as his adviser. (same job he had with Marduk, so it should be strange to him.)

We just might have a lot more difficulty capturing a fortress - assuming we want to do that. Still may be doable given the superhumans both on our side and the Empire's though.

Baltika9

Arcane
Guys, seriously, I fail to see why we need to actually fight for and capture the League's shrine world. Help me out here.

Does anyone have a plan for it, or is it "just because?"

Guys, seriously, I fail to see why we need to actually fight for and capture the League's shrine world. Help me out here.
Sorry, meant to get to this.

Our goal is to crush the League - otherwise the Masters' defense drones will kill us on sight.

We have a choice - go around the galaxy hunting them down, slowly being drawn into a war of attrition that we can't maintain and possibly getting our forces wiped out in numerous ambushes and traps... Or we can take one of their finest worlds, wounding both their might and their pride, so that they come charging in to take it back - right into OUR trap.

Also, I suppose distracting them with that world could let us capture other worlds while they are busy fighting us there.

edit: Or we could just turn the one of prize world's moons into a solar system destroying bomb and wait for them to get there, then wormhole out. *kaboom*

Not in one place, no. And not with their faces all red will anger cuz we took their little blue ball. :D People make mistakes when they are angry and emotional. Immortals are no different.

Right now they are stationing different forces in different systems per the update. Delta in the fortress, Alpha near the core, Beta and Gamma on the way to the battle zone etc.

Anyway, in order to crush them, we'll need to take this world eventually, won't we?

Esquilax

Arcane
Esquilax, I don't think Senya needs to be over Kadowak. He is a power-hungry coward who wants to sell us out so he can be a Star League lapdog again. Don't think any amount of monitoring of his emotional state will do any good. Having the other federation admirals to keep him calm there and his lover as a pseudo hostage far away is far more effective.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Where are you getting this stuff from? Why would he care if Hasting is somewhere else? How are they "lovers"? I don't know where to begin with this. This is small-fry shit, not important.

Anyways, we can't have Ean and Senya with the same task force, that will weaken the other force too much. One of them need to be leading each group. Sending Ean to assault Bainur makes sense because it would involve a ground assault, so it's more suited to his skills.

To draw out their fleets. We don't know where Epsilon is, and Alpha (the most dangerous fleet) is still hanging back deep in League territory. Merely taking the planet allows them to consolidate, but if we manage to take the planet and take out Delta Squadron, then we can force their hand. We won't have Anhur-Shu in this scenario, but we will have a gigantic force of battleships, Adrahasis and Ean.

However, where I disagree completely with Lambchop19 is that the invasion of Bainur should occur only with Adrahasis leading - this is a big mistake. We need Ean to lead the assault of the planet with minimal casaulties once he hits the ground, and again to draw the Council into a confrontation with him once hopefully Alpha takes the bait; if we can get Ean into a position to take on a few Council members in direct combat, they're in deep shit. Also, we need Ean there to rein in the overcompensating personalities of Rahuk and Vermilis, something he can probably do more effectively than Senya.

This is also why we probably need a larger force at Tejat A - they've got the tougher task and they don't have Anhur-Shu. While Senya's group would fight Delta, the force assaulting Bainur would be at the very least end up fighting Alpha and/or Epsilon. There's a chance that they might end up drawing in Beta and Gamma as they return to League Space, though hopefully at that point we will have enough time for Senya's group to reinforce us and unleash a few black holes their way.

Baltika9

Arcane
No, we won't need to conquer it. The goal is Carneus Alpha, the shortest route to which lies through the fortress-system.

What's so important about this planet anyway, treave?

edit: Baltika, no, the goal is first to crush the League, THEN Carneus Alpha. Otherwise, the Masters' drones will fry us, remember? Heck, you were the one who voted for all this warfare shit, not me. I wanted either a sun-bomb/surrender or stealth.

Esquilax, I don't think Senya needs to be over Kadowak. He is a power-hungry coward who wants to sell us out so he can be a Star League lapdog again. Don't think any amount of monitoring of his emotional state will do any good. Having the other federation admirals to keep him calm there and his lover as a pseudo hostage far away is far more effective.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Where are you getting this stuff from? Why would he care if Hasting is somewhere else? How are they "lovers"? I don't know where to begin with this. This is small-fry shit, not important.

Anyways, we can't have Ean and Senya with the same task force, that will weaken the other force too much. One of them need to be leading each group. Sending Ean to assault Bainur makes sense because it would involve a ground assault, so it's more suited to his skills.
Fine with me. I just thought people would want Ean to capture a fortress cuz this is the codex and we do stupid larpy shit like that. :shrug:

Also:
I concur with Admiral Kadowaki.” Admiral Hasting, commanding the 7th Fleet – a fairly young admiral who had made a good showing for herself while in service to the League as a commander. She appears to have rather close relations with Kadowaki.
Maybe they aren't actually lovers, I don't know/care. They like eachother though and its always harder to run to the enemy on your own - esp. if you are worried about what may happen to a friend when you leave.

The small fry shit IS important or treave wouldn't have wasted a whole update just to show us how the Admirals interacted with each other.

To draw out their fleets. We don't know where Epsilon is, and Alpha (the most dangerous fleet) is still hanging back deep in League territory. Merely taking the planet allows them to consolidate, but if we manage to take the planet and take out Delta Squadron, then we can force their hand. We won't have Anhur-Shu in this scenario, but we will have a gigantic force of battleships, Adrahasis and Ean.

However, where I disagree completely with Lambchop19 is that the invasion of Bainur should occur only with Adrahasis leading - this is a big mistake. We need Ean to lead the assault of the planet with minimal casaulties once he hits the ground, and again to draw the Council into a confrontation with him once hopefully Alpha takes the bait; if we can get Ean into a position to take on a few Council members in direct combat, they're in deep shit. Also, we need Ean there to rein in the overcompensating personalities of Rahuk and Vermilis, something he can probably do more effectively than Senya.
Again, good points. I agree.
This is also why we probably need a larger force at Tejat A - they've got the tougher task and they don't have Anhur-Shu. While Senya's group would fight Delta, the force assaulting Bainur would be at the very least end up fighting Alpha and Epsilon. There's a good chance that they might end up drawing in Beta and Gamma as they return to League Space, though hopefully at that point we will have enough time for Senya's group to reinforce us and unleash a few black holes their way.
Again, I agree completely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom