Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If the cannon had an increased black hole output or something, sure. But that's not what the description says at all. The black holes aren't more powerful, you're just using them in different ways.

^ Top  
  2. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Standing around on a battlefield for ten seconds with supercharged energy armour?

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I may be a little dense here, but here goes.
    What this says is that combining these black holes at maximum yield and letting them sit uncontrolled will be enough to annihilate an entire system. Doesn't that mean we'll need lower yields (and hence lower charges) to achieve planetary annihilation?

Or does the yield not matter and we basically have to sit there and control how big of a bang it makes after we fire it? And the only thing the charge controls is the distance?

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Manipulating the black hole engine to eject sufficient amounts of antimatter isn't exactly easy or fast, not to mention the calculation must be precise enough that they are the same mass. To simplify things the dial-a-yield function does not work with the Annihilation Cannon so that you don't take an hour to adjust for one single attack. It's always set to medium.

^ Top  
  5. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'm not really sure what's treave's getting at with all his hint dropping regarding Epsilon. I think the way our forces are split, they are actually fairly close in overall power. Senya (& Rei) single-handedly demolished ~10% of the Empire's original invasion force AND disabled the Emperor. If Epsilon would be reluctant to engage a single Legion, I feel comfortable with two + Senya or four + Ean/Bel-Air who can easily match any possible genius commander. Not to mention that while the Star League knows about our wormhole tech, they obviously don't know where we're heading with Alpha guarding the final jump point just in case. Epsilon isn't going to be stupid enough to fight either group solo, but if we act fast enough they shouldn't be able to reinforce any defenses at Gelmark or Bainur either. Perhaps treave is just trying to troll us into overthinking things? Stick with the plan Jones.

In any case, I'm not too concerned about luring out Epsilon. If it happens, great. If not, no big deal. We can still smash Delta, gaining an overall numbers advantage and raze Bainur, gaining a morale advantage. After that, I would be content with a big showdown, any other divide and conquer trickery would be gravy.

I guess I can formalize my vote for the Baltikan revision of ScubaV's addendum to the Esquilaxian interpretation of Lambchop's Vision (B).

As for upgrades, I still like II and VI for new systems, but III and VII isn't bad either. As for the current tie between IV and VIII to upgrade, consider that we only made a Jupiter bomb, not a Sun bomb. Now the star system destroying power of IV isn't nearly as good as the Jupiter bomb, let alone a Sun bomb, but I still think having more firepower isn't a bad idea especially if we get a chance to upgrade again. We may not destroy the Masters' entire realm with a black hole cannon, but being able to realistically threaten an individual or small group of Masters without revealing or relying on our big load (Jupiter) could definitely pay dividends.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    From now on it's sink or swim, boys.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I remember the last time you said that.
    Let's rock out.
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Consider the fleet we're bringing with us:
    Our legions have the least amount of firepower. Since the contest is between upgrading the wings and the cannon, the logical choice in our situation is the cannon: we don't need more maneuvrability, our current loadout is more than enough to handle Delta's Imperial style, with the cruisers and our shield's AoE providing more than enough firepower to deal with the small fry.

Anhur-Shu is the heavy artillery in this scenario, and that's why it needs the biggest gun.

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Voting and discussion closes in six hours. I will pick whichever choice with actual votes regardless of whether it is an outdated plan or not. That will be all.

^ Top  
  10. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Hmmmm. Esquilax, Lambchop19, Baltika9, TOME, Storyfag, Kayerts, The Brazilian Slaughter, Smashing Axe, Azira, Anabanana and anyone else I forgot that might be following this, you might want to formalize your votes with bold lettering lest the infinitely wise and benevolent treave decides to rules lawyer us.

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Okay, I've tallied things up for convenience. I'm keeping it with the post where the poster explicity outlines which plan they picked.

Esquilax, Baltika9, ScubaV, Storyfag: Using the following roster, Senya's force will strike at Gelmark to attack the fortress system while Ean's team moves to take Bainur. I've slightly edited it for easier readability:

Jester: B: tl;dr Assault Gelmark in a surprise attack before Delta and Gamma fleet arrive. While this is going on, situate another large force at Tejat A to threaten the Star League's planet and to draw out Epsilon. As a bonus, our forces will only be one jump away from each other, allowing the possibility of sending reinforcements in short order if we feel that one of them is threatened.

TOME: Troops to Tejat A under Adrahasis:
    Troops to Gelmark under Senya and Ean:
    Kipeci, The Brazilian Slaughter, Lambchop19: A2

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Storyfag flopped.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    This should be fine. If there are no changes in another few hours I will commence writing the update.

As for the upgrades, the tally appears to be:

New systems:
    II - 3
    III - 8
    V - 0
    VI - 2
    VII - 7
    IX - 2

Upgrade:
    I - 0
    II - 1
    III - 2
    IV - 4
    V - 0
    VI - 0
    VII - 0
    VIII - 4
    IX - 0

^ Top  
  14. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Treave's hints put the fear of treave into my vote. Unless treave will confess to his hints being bs designed to make us mess our pants or E and Baltika can mindtrick me into picking an option treave has repeatedly hinted might be bad, I'm flopping to A2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Roll.

1 - 3: IV wins

4 - 6: VIII wins

edit: The Annihilation Cannon wins. System votes are locked in.

By the way, I hope you guys realize that without taking the upgrade to III, you won't be able to use it to magnify fire power or dogfight a zillion drones just with your own. Ditto for VII, without the energy-absorbing upgrade, it won't allow you to tank as well as basic II.

As far as basic systems go, the drills, the lasers and the degen field would definitely be the most useful against drone swarm tactics.

treave rolled 6-sided di(c)e: System Upgrade Total: 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Design-by-committee reigns supreme. But hey, on the plus side we have a big fucking white elephant cannon!

Wait, but didn't you say that VII gives the best direct tanking ability? Or did you mean the upgrade to VII?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    [​IMG]
    :yeah:
    Which is why we have two armadas' worth of covering fire. The only reason I voted for VII is that it automatically covers us against drone explosives and CF sabers, without us having divert attention to operate black holes. That, and the fladh AoE and ramming pitential are great.

I look forward to disabling their battlestations and CFs by turning them into Swiss Skanish cheese.

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012

The latter.

^ Top  
  20. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Damn, I thought you had meant the first, otherwise I would have kept my vote with the Devourer Shield. I suspect the majority of us who flopped misunderstood and went with VII based on that.

Baltika9, I believe we can win this (otherwise I wouldn't have voted for splitting up), but this sort of blind optimism is stupid. True, the Annihilation Cannon is useful if we win this war and make it to fight the Masters, but here in this dimension it isn't doing us much favours. The covering fire isn't a great advantage because we only have ~1,300 super-heavy battleships combined with Delta's 2,000 + 20 fortresses. We are vastly outgunned, so at best, they'll have to serve as a meat shield while we get into position to do some damage.

If we had the Ring Familiars, we could fire black holes from behind our own lines and avoid friendly fire entirely to hit their fortresses, or if we had Gravity Wings IX we could get in place through sheer speed, but now our job is much harder. I think we can still take them because we have the element of surprise helping us before they can really get ready, but we are going to take significant losses while our forces act as a diversion as we get into position to wreak havoc. There's just no way around it.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, I doubt there'll be much flops as to where to go, so I'll start writing in a while.

By the way, one of the things the League likes to do with their fuckton of drones is to throw them in the way of an incoming danger like say, a nuke... or perhaps a black hole, before it's travelled far in that predictable straight line. Sacrificing a few dozen drones to make your black hole/annihilation cannon payload detonate prematurely is a rather good deal. At least it would be if premature detonation of the annihilation cannon didn't actually lead to really really bad stuff for everyone in the system, which they don't know.

Let's hope they're not smart enough to utilize this tactic immediately and we're not stupid enough to spam our genocidal superweapon like it doesn't have any drawbacks, shall we?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You didn't pay attention for why I picked the cannon: Anhur-Shu is the heavy artillery in this scenario. We have enough power to destroy a solar system, ffs.

The light ships will be our covering to keep most of the heat off our ass (who are you going to focus on, the lone dude fiddling with something you fon't know, or the hundred thousand+ battleships behind him spitting hellfire?), the armor will take care of the few drones that do hit us.

Meanwhile, we spit out a massive 'sploshun, decimate the bulk of their forces (you're underestimating the shock this will cause) and then teleport into close combat and start ripping shit up with the ring slaves and our own skills. We still have our "old" tech that far surpasses anything the League has come up with so far.

Or, y'know, get drowned in drones and die a horribly humiliating death when one of them clogs up our cannon mid-shot. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    They'll know we can fire black holes. The rumors that have undoubtedly spread about how we black holed Marduk, combined with the fact that our black hole generator tech has been known to them since the wormhole mission and the fact that they probably have spies (and traitors, remember?) within our forces, adds up to them almost certainly knowing Anhur-Shi can fire black holes. The specifics may not be known to them, but I'm betting that taking out Uranus in one shot pretty much cemented Anhur-Shi's status as a WMD to them. "Holy crap! It's Senya Hoshikawa! Drone him before we all diiieee!" or similar will be uttered before the battle's out, I'm sure.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If a lone CF that's larger than usual, clearly a custom model, looking totally badass and awesome with gravity wings, is out front alone fiddling with something you don't know, and the battleships are all safely behind trying to shoot down anything that comes near him...

No, I don't think that works out as a distraction for Senya. He'll get focused upon by so many beams that he'll be swimming in particles. :lol:

There'll be an way option for the cannon to be used, and it's my job to make that happen in a reasonable way since the choice has been picked, but that definitely isn't it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.