Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    D. I'm not sure how they'd prepare themselves against a black hole cannon even given that this part of their fleet manages to survive our strike.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Is a fortress system still a fortress system if there are no fortresses there? I wonder.

^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    You know what? Fuck 'em. Transit to Bainur and take their VIPs hostage. If the League won't come out and play, they'll give their own fleets an incentive to defect. If they will come out and play, we'll face them on a battlefield of our own choosing.

^ Top  
  4. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    can some of those fortresses use jump point?

in A we send super mech first and try to stall them or can we for example attach one of our familiars to ship and send nuke through?

^ Top  
  5. Hahaha!

E - Ignore them. Set course for the planets themselves. Broadcast a message:

"Attention Star League cowards: Because you've chosen to run from us rather than fight, we will now utterly annihilate this system. There will be no survivors. There will not even be a star left. Only a small black hole will remain. That is all."

If they stay, we maneuver or fleet to intercept the enemy with heavy fire as they (or their drones) approach, leading them into our trap. If not, we make good on our threat and have Senya black hole each of the worlds, or just the star itself, or use the cannon - provided we can escape in time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You suspect the fortresses have already jumped. You'll deal with the fleet in A as best as you can with a cruiser force and the CFs. No more details than that.

Also, I have no idea why anyone would want to randomly destroy uninhabited planets but if that's what makes you feel all manly you can have it as an option.

^ Top  
  7. Uninhabited? I though the garrisons or the population would have.... Ah, screw it. Can't a guy twirl his mustache once in a while?

C - Like we could have done with Adrahasis' obvious trap, ignore the trap and scram.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    neh they aren't stupid enough to do that in my opinion and that bad PR we would get from doing that, although if we would know any cleaning company caled black hole we could do niece commercial in this sector.
    "Black Hole cleaning even star stains in cold atmosphere! Buy now."

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It has three gas giants for planets, mentioned in the update, and no industry to speak of. Whatever people lived here would have been on the fortresses. Which don't seem to be here anymore. The system's value is in terms of the slipspace routes that it guards. It can give easy access to surrounding systems, including Dormungan, Bainur, and the fastest route to the very important Carneus Beta (note that both other choices previously mentioned specifically stated they could lead to Gelmark in particular), while having nothing of note in the system itself that an enemy can use to force capitulation. That is why it was a fortress system. It is - or perhaps was - a literal fort.

I'm not sure I should be pointing all this out actually. So I won't, from now on. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Well, If they had remained in they system, the fleet would have been forced to protect the population. If they didn't, well, we already have bad PR - we're the enemy after all. :shrug: Somebody's got to Shulgi and it might as well be us.

But the population isn't there so forget it... :(

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Well, it is common knowledge, so it's kind of is something we should know... (though we should have picked up on the fact you said the fortresses were moveable...)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Huh, checking back, I accidentally said that the inhabited planets would be strongly garrisoned in a previous post. That's my mistake, I was referring to how a fortress system would be set up in general. If they set one up in an inhabited system that is. Doesn't apply to Gelmark, but I can see why you made the assumption.

My bad. :salute:

Whenever you arrive in a system you will be given a brief description of anything important, so if it's not seen there you can assume it doesn't exist, unless it's a nasty enemy trap.

^ Top  
  13. It's cool, though I just had a thought: if we proceed to the prize world, wouldn't we arrive before Ean's group? May be a reason to reconsider...or not. Not sure...

edit: they couldn't cloak a fortress...could they? That or I suppose they could assume we'd keep our fleet together and set an ambush with most of them at the jump point...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ean will reach there in 5 days assuming no interruptions, you will arrive in 7 if you make the jump now.

They could cloak a fortress if they had an immortal powerful enough, or several immortals with the right power set and coordination.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    treave, does further into the core mean Carnelius beta or could it mean other systems as well?

I'm sure this is some sort of a trap. They rigged the binary stars to explode or something. Which means they knew we were coming, and they also know we are going to Bainur. So do we head for Bainur to warn Ean or do we try to tail delta and see where they go?

I say we try to team up with rest of the fleet.

C.

^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It's the route that goes three jumps to Carneus Beta. It could branch out somewhere in between there, but that's not too important right now.

^ Top  
  17. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    treave
    Any chances to get a map? Even a sketchy one made in Paint?

^ Top  
  18. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    hmmm guess i vote C.

Time to get some VIP treatment, hope that Ean will leave us some little umbrellas for our drinks. Wonder if we made reservation, it would be horrible if our space vacation could be cut short by such silly mistake.

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A map's more trouble than it's worth, really. The systems that become significant to the choices may change with every update as the Federated Empire and the Star League each make their moves. I'm only going to list out the important routes as they emerge so as not to mire the whole LP in month-long discussions attempting to plan too far ahead for scenarios that might actually change immediately in response to the next choice, or that are actually invalid because of information not privy to the player for obvious reasons.

For example:
    > We need to blow up fortresses in Gelmark!
    > Pages of discussion on how to best blow up fortresses.
    > No fortresses seen in Gelmark.

^ Top  
  20. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, did you mean that Bainur is a single, one week jump away from wherever Delta is heading, or a single, one week jump away from Gelmark?

Also treave, we departed our system and arrived in Gelmark on the same day in Earth time. Would there have been time for a potential spy/traitor to notify the League of our movements prior to this? We've been allied with the Empire for two months, so I guess they've been keeping tabs in the intervening time, but I'm just speculating.

Guys, we cannot go with C. We need to end this war quickly and decisively because of the mind pact, and linking up with our other force limits our tactical options. We take over Bainur with our massive force, but then what? We just sit there and just wait for our enemies to come to us? The Star League isn't going to be drawn out in such an obvious way. Remember, try to put yourselves in their shoes. Also, I feel the need to point this little tidbit out:

We have four months left to beat the League as per our pact with Adrahasis, and running away will make us lose even more time while letting the enemy prepare. So this Delta situation must be dealt with now. I believe that the only sound choices in the long-term are either A or B, depending on which is the right choice. I'd also like to point out that C isn't necessarily safe either; we could certainly get ambushed as we're trying to catch up to Ean's forces. Also, with Beta and Gamma scheduled to arrive soon, they could catch up to us as well. So don't worry, plenty of ways to fuck up the "safe" choice.

My point is that C is a wishy-washy choice that doesn't give us any real benefits in the future, we have to commit to a strong decision here and hope that it's the right one if we want to start this war off strongly. This involves taking being comfortable with taking some risks.

After looking at the evidence, I'm in favour of B: If Qin knows about our problems with certain Admirals like Kadowaki and Hasting who are against this war, the Star League with all their resources is certainly aware of it too. Even though Gelmark was intended as a surprise attack, they are plenty of ways that they could have figured this shit out too. The other hint that bothers me is the fact that Delta never bothered to fire at us; they sped up towards their destination on ships that they knew were slower, but they never fired their weapons. This implies to me that they're trying to get us to chase them - if they were really intent on making sure we stayed away, they probably would have used more firepower (which, considering their fortresses and super-heavies, they have) on us.

I know that going deeper into the galactic core carries risks of its own, but I believe that if we don't take the bait now and follow them deeper in, we could start making clever maneuvers of our own.

B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I don't know why you guys are going with C. Battlefleet Ean has enough firepower and talent to level anyone stupid enough to tangle with. They'd only get in the way.

Going for B.

Also, Carneus Beta is four jumps from here. Do fleets need to take breaks between said jumps?

^ Top  
  22. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    This sounds to me 'let's roll the dice and see what happens'. If we go after the delta we will run straight to the ambush they are setting. Yes, we have time limit but that doesn't mean we have to be suicidal about it. We can chase their armadas or we could be smart about it and go straight to the planets. treave, do we know if the council knows about the universal reset? If they don't know about, then they will defend their planets and that's how we should play this. Ignore their retreating fleets and aim for planets.

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Taking their planets by itself is not smart, and it isn't how we're going to win this war:

We don't have time for a war like this, and we're only taking Bainur because it will give us the edge in morale and make the Star League panic if we manage to do it in conjunction with destroying Delta fleet. The way this war will be won is by forcing the enemy to engage us on our terms. C does the exact opposite of that; we run towards Bainur, and the time we lose allows Beta and Gamma to reinforce the fleets that are currently in League space. We lose all of the initiative we've gained from attacking early this way, and to make matters worse, we lose tactical options because we're just sitting around at Bainur.

It's also important to note that the Council doesn't actually care much at all about Bainur. Despite Lambchop's suggestions, nuking various planets won't really help us. The Star League doesn't care about individual planets, all they care about is meeting their gods. In fact, nuking various planets is more likely to embolden the League's citizen and help with their morale.

This is a big risk, I get it. We aren't going to ever be 100% certain of anything, but we can look at the information at hand and try to come to a reasonable conclusion. Qin knew about our conflict with some of our Admirals regarding our alliance with the Empire, but she was cryptic about where she learned this from. Given the intel that we knew about the League's movements, it's reasonable to assume they know at least as much of our movements as we know of theirs.

Adding to that, when Delta spotted us, they didn't fire. That's pretty curious - you have an Armada based around heavy firepower, we can't really strike at them at this distance, they apparently want to retreat, but they aren't shooting at us to cover their retreat. If I were trying to get away and I had a comfortable distance from my enemy like Delta does, I would opt for a fighting retreat, but that's not what they're doing. Also, it's important to note this about Volkin Swicks:

I believe that if we come close, the opportunity to gun our lighter ships down will certainly present itself. However, if we refuse to take the bait and follow him to his next location, we can start to turn the tables.

Of course, I could be horribly wrong here and going after them is the way to go. Maybe the ambush here is to get us to follow them deeper into the core. I think the more likely scenario is that they caught wind of our "surprise" attack and are attempting to lure us out.

^ Top  
  24. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I don't want to take planets, I want to nuke them. We know that Star League is an alliance of sorts, there are many different factions inside it. And like treave said, the council face possible mutiny if they don't act on a threat to Bainur. If we go on a rampage nuking their planets black holing their star systems, sooner or later they will have to respond and engage us.

B is engaging them on their terms. We are on their turf and running into too deep without sufficient forces will come to bite our asses.

^ Top  
  25. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    The Star League has over 115 star systems, and we have only 4 months to defeat them. To even consider of doing something like that, we'd have to do it solo - the Star League could intercept us and take us out without backup thanks to their drones. These magic bullet plans where we use our black hole cannon to kill a fuckload of people because NUKE EVERYTHING LOL are not going to cut it. Plus, revealing our ace-in-the-hole through genocide for lulz is a massive waste.

Not to mention, it will also cause a ton of conflict with Grand Marshall Ean and Adrahasis, who both would have moral objections over this. Of course, Adrahasis is bound to us by the pact, so he's not a problem, but Ean is would be very pissed off.

You don't know that. What we know is that there are a few possibilities possibilities:
    1. Delta caught wind of our assault and is attempting to lure us in and wipe out our cruisers with their battleships. To speak in favour of A for a moment, if that were the case, why would they not simply hunker down in their fortresses and anticipate us? They are a fortress-system, leaving all your strategically advantageous fortresses just so that you can bait the enemy into an elaborate trap seems foolish. The whole point of a fortress if you know an enemy is coming is to stay in the fortress.
    2. We've caught Delta with their pants down and now they are panicking. However, Qin's cryptic hint stirs up my paranoia (but hey, who says her "sources" are Star League?), and why are they not shooting at us? treave, do we know if we're out of their range? To make matters worse, giving them time to gather themselves and then following them closer to the galactic core (and therefore, closer to Alpha) could be a disaster. I doubt that someone else is on the other side of the jump point, but its possible.
    There are possibly other possibilities, but these are the most likely.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.