Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No, A is. This is a classic divide-and-conquer scenario: they want to make us act impulsively and give chase, thinning our ranks. Once they have us separated, they can spring their trap, which is doubtlessly there. I actually think they want to force a surrender here, Tarliss was doubtlessly pressed to give them intel on us when we "switched" sides.

Now they want to get their hands on the mastermind behind this invasion and his toys.

As I see it, we have two choices:
    B- we advance in a disciplined formation and give them a bloody nose for their efforts. I think that we were caught flat-footed here, so maintaining discipline is key.

C- we say "screw you guys, I'm going home." We go and link up with Ean. Chances are, they prepared a welcoming committee for him too. Thing is, we'll be redundant there at best: they have more than enough resources to muscle through anything thrown at them. I'm unsure what we will accomplish by being there.
    Bad idea, the League are masters of propaganda. Nuking their resort world with VIPs on it will just piss them off, Pearl Harbor style.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    The star league doesn't know about the 4 months time limit. We have plenty of time to goat them into making a mistake and engaging us.

So you guys are sure the only trap is in A? Delta's only purpose was to see if we make a stupid mistake and send our fastest ship to slaughter? No, if there is a trap, it won't be so obvious. They are bating us to follow them deeper into their territory, and soon we'll realize our tiny fleet is surrounded by alpha, beta, delta and gamma armadas.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    That won't be done by nuking star systems, however. We aren't going to go system to system black holing the entire fucking place, that is just absurd. We would only be able to do it solo, because otherwise we'd end up killing off our own fleets, and the League could easily intercept us that way.

First off, Beta and Gamma are still returning from Empire space, so we won't be intercepted by them. We might be if we pick C and linger too long, but we won't regardless of A/B. We could get fucked in some other way, but it won't be because we ran into Beta and Gamma.

However, excellent point regarding the fact that there's more than one way to unleash a trap. You are right, I haven't been thinking about how involved this trap could be. After all, treave did say that employing the Annihilator Cannon would involve Tactical Genius (tm). This is what we know, and a bit of speculation:
    • Delta is heading towards a jump point that leads closer to the galactic core.
    • Our intel on Alpha has them pegged as approaching the core to lie in wait for us.
    • Qin was privy to sensitive information regarding the loyalty of our Admirals.
    • If they know that we're approaching, it's highly unusual for them to abandon their fortresses. Logically, if I have a strong defensive position, I want to defend it. Abandoning that position, then not firing at us to cover their retreat is also suspicious.
    • Senya suspects that the space-fortresses are already gone, because we haven't seen any around.
    Okay, so based on this, and on your observation, we have to determine what the trap is. Here's my revised theory: Delta isn't baiting us into overextending our lines, they're baiting us into a cat-and-mouse game deep into their home turf where they can link up with Alpha and/or Epsilon to destroy our force. Since they probably know we have split our forces into a two-pronged assault, they know that we're reluctant to split up our forces even further. As a result, I think Volkin is counting on us to try and remain predictable by keeping all our forces together, meaning either B or C. Either B or C is great for Volkin: with the former, we fall into his trap, but the latter is still okay as it allows him time to gather with the other Armadas and prepare for us at a later time.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, I think you guys are right and I'm listening to paranoia and overthinking it too much. It really does seem more plausible that they're consolidating their forces in this sector, awaiting reinforcements. Besides which, we have a force ideally suited for a skirmish.

That being said, my first reaction was correct: heavy ships should close rank on the Sword of Ean and advance in formation. Light ships, chase them down and let them feel one hundred thousand ships' worth of firepower.

Flopping to A. And I see no reason why we should go to Bainur. I have full confidence in the force we assembled for Ean, and in his command skills. They don't need us there.

treave, could you write up his pre-deployment speech? Just curious, is all.

^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    All right, all right. Flopping to A, just to spite Volkin.

Riddle me this, though:
    Wormhole tranists are instantenaous, right?
    Slipspace transits take time, right?
    So it stands to reason that we could arrive at Delta's destination before they do (even taking into account the downtime needed for our wormhole generators to recharge) and ambush them as we forcibly pull them out of slipspace, much like we did with the Imperial Legions, right?

^ Top  
  6. yeah, but it's ok cuz I loled...

treave, you said that if they had the right immortal or a group of them, they'd be able to hide a fortress, but what about more than 1? They couldn't be hiding all 20 could they?

Esquilax, your theory had occurred to me. It seems unreasonable for them to plan an ambush for us here when it's the last place they'd expect us to come... Unless a spy within our fleet gave them the info about the attack. If that's the case, then they are probably baiting us into over-extending ourselves. Then again, if they didn't receive the info about a spy, they may be merely moving their fortresses and fleets to another sector because, as treave already mentioned, there's nothing here worth defending. If that were they case, then we caught them with their pants down and the time to strike is now... Unless, of course, epsilon fleet is here too and hiding their presence. Epsilon's load-out would probably be best suited for ambushes and the fact we don't know where they are would seem to suggest they might have the ability to mask themselves.

All this to say, A is too likely to be a trap and B will probably have us jumping into a massive ambush with 20 fortresses blasting our fleet to hades. D sounds like it would result in disaster given that enemy drones can interfere with our annihilation cannon in such a way that everyone dies and we can't take them out fast enough since we didn't pick the lasers.

C would seem our best option. But hey, why don't you guys just ignore me again and pick what you want. That always works out. :M

fake edit: Storyfag, assuming the mass-product generators on the fleet will let us do that, what happens if we do get there before them and find 20 space fortresses glaring at us weapons ready?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Its a good thing we didn't come with all our forces to Gelmak, that would've given them a serious advantage strategically.

This is pretty good info we have to keep in mind.

I think each option here has its own advantage, and its own dangers:

A looks like divide and conquer to me

B looks like rigidity being outrunned

C looks like derp (lose our chance to weaken the enemy strategically before they consolidate)

D looks ike AWESOME, but TOO SOON. We need to keep our penis-cannon inside our clothes for now.

BUT

A looks like a nice way to harry their fleet and weaken them once we try pursue them to where they will go

B looks like the best against traps (say, the fortresses being cloaked)

C looks like DUNGEON BYPASS LOL and the enemy commander stares dumbfounded "How did he pick out the trap? Noooo!"

D looks like a free-shot with fantastic results

Hmmmmm...

A looks like the MAXIMUM FUCK option with high-risk high-earnings

B looks like the safe choice

C looks like a safe choice too, but which may fuck us strategically up in the long run and force this to be a

D looks like the "Up the ante" option, like eating the tree.

I vote B, because I really don't believe they will pull such a shitty retreat like that. They're not even shooting at us, this is either:

1. Ambush with cloaked fortresses
    2. Forcing fast element to go after them and get shot, thus giving them a pratically free score
    3. Ambush waiting us at the other side of the jump
    4. They're sent the Fortresses to Baianur and the fleet is going to meet up with another one (Alpha?) on the other side

Now think this through: Senya has the reputation of being a pragmatic and daring attacker. Fights smart like Shulgi, advances crazily like Ean. Seems like the kind of guy vulnerable to a trap or to overthinking (which can lead into traps or innaction).

The League has intel on us from Mere Tarliss and possibly Qin. They know who Senya is and how he acts by now. They also know by now he just stomped the Dragon Emperor with smarts, action, lots of tech and sheer guts.

I think the best move here, is to do the unexpected: Catiousness.

I vote B!

^ Top  
  8. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    We wipe out the fortresses, since they lack the support of mobile assets such as battleships and proceed to pull Delta Wing out of slipspace.

^ Top  
  9. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    treave, couple of questions: are Delta's drones already deployed and does our wormhole tech rely on existing slipspace routes? Couldn't we black hole them with D and them use our wormholes without having to follow in the radiation?

Also Lambchop19, I wouldn't be so smug about your last minute "I'm scared" flop. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If Senya wanted to solve this through genocide of the League he'd have just jumped a mass of black hole generators into the comparatively less defended Star League home systems and blown up most of their inhabited territories in a preemptive strike.

There's a very good reason for not engaging in wanton slaughter and destruction. And it has nothing to do with the goodness of his heart.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Bainur is a week from Gelmark. Fleets don't need to take breaks between slipspace jumps. You don't know if the Council knows about the reset. The range between your fleets is far enough that you have to chase them down with cruisers. That means even with the near unlimited range of beams the two are so far apart that they would likely miss in an engagement at this distance. As for making another wormhole jump, you can do so in a week if you don't mind not taking any Legions with you. The generators can handle taking such a large fleet once but anymore is likely to force an overload. You don't know if they can hide all 20, but you find it unlikely unless they have tech you don't know about.
    The drones don't seem to be deployed. The radiation is a problem for you getting to the jump point.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Eh, it wouldn't have been last minute if I had been able to access the forums at work. My phone wouldn't cut it. I was being somewhat tongue in cheek too, so whatevah.

Because all the death will only hasten the white apocalypse?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    treave, do we have any intel about the speed of their fleet/fortresses vs. ours? If they jumped and continued fleeing to the next jump point while we kept our fleet together and followed would we have any hope of catching them?

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Their fleet will be slower by a bit. You might be able to catch up in the next system.

^ Top  
  15. What you guys seem to be overlooking with be is that we'll be coming out at a "jump point". If you knew the likely location a pursuing enemy force would be arriving at, what would you do? Wait there with fingers on the trigger, right? (or mine it, but maybe they won't have time for that) With 20 fortresses, that a lot of fingers on a lot of triggers, waiting for us. We'd be better off going with A or D if you really must charge in like lemmings.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    The Brazilian Slaughter: A and B are both very risky, so the latter isn't the safe choice IMO. If we caught them off-guard and all is actually as it seems, we are in deep shit once we hit the jump point and they are ready for us. If the trap is intended to lure us into hitting the jump point, that's even worse.

It's not unreasonable if they've been tracking our fleet movements, certainly. We know the location of all their forces besides Epsilon, so it's logical to assume that they know the location of our forces too. But I find the probability of Epsilon being here unlikely. For one, there's the time frame of our departure - we left Sol system and arrived at Gelmark on the same day. This tells me that Epsilon would have had to have been at Gelmark for a while already. This is unusual, because something called an "Expeditionary Fleet" doesn't seem like something that would normally hang around at a fortress-system.

The other major reason why I don't think Epsilon is here with Delta is that it doesn't make sense to me strategically. If they were here, it would make much more sense if Delta remained in their defensive positions within the fortresses, then brought Epsilon out to take us by surprise while we're pinned down by their fortresses, drones and battleships. That would be a far more devastating plan, while ditching their fortresses completely in order to lure us into an ambush with the help of Epsilon seems like a really roundabout way of doing things to me.

As for cloaked fortresses or anything like that, hiding 20 is an extremely tall order. I might expect Alpha Armada to do something like this with their mighty Council immortals working together, but not Delta.

But hey, who the fuck knows? We can logic it out like this, but it's still a risky play that could potentially hurt us badly.

^ Top  
  17. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    A means we send our mechs and cruisers at them while they flee. Anhur-Shu seems to be pretty much the only thing stopping them from simply blowing our cruiser force here.

Don't forget Adrahasis managed to cloak a fleet under our nose. If the Empire can cloak a fleet I'm sure the League can cloak star fortresses. That's why I wanted to go B, go slow and in formation, any trap would be blow out.

Through I wonder if its really a ambush due to our fast arrival (seems too fast for them to do prepare a ambush. They may really be just pullling out to meet another fleet. I wanted to attack here because it seemed to me that using all our firepower to pulverize one fleet would give us a big strategic number advantage, especially once they decided to make a last stand at Cerneus Alpha.

Flip-flopping to A. Get our cruisers and mechs (including Anhur-Shu) to fuck them up. Alos gives Senya and Rei some XP on mechs. Pity we didn't get the Gravity Wings to enhance our speed, but Ring Slaves will help us.

I would flip-flop to D if someone gave a good reason as to why should we use our cannon NOW, not later. I'm wanting to keep the Anihilator Cannon ready for a big fleet gathering of the enemy, but not before we sic Ean on the Council of Nine, who may be strong to stop our Black Hole.

^ Top  
  18. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I originally wanted to vote D, but that seems stupid since we couldn't run through the radiation field and we'd otherwise be cooling our jets for over a week until we can rejump with the wormholes and take the Legions with.

treave, presumably the cruiser and CF force will include Senya/Rei? If so, I vote A. I think Esquilax's reasoning is sound. The likelihood of Epsilon and/or more than a fortress or two lying in ambush within Gelmark seems quite low. They also don't appear to have their drones deployed. Even if they do attempt to engage us it will buy time for the slower elements of our fleet to get in range.

It's too bad you guys didn't see the value of anti-drone systems, but hopefully we won't have to deal with them here.

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
  20. Well, I tried.

A and C seem to be the least likely to TKO us. Although, D has me wondering if the fortress isn't there and firing the weapon wouldn't accidentally destroy the immortal(s) in a particularly lulz way: "They are oblivious to our presence! Mwahaha! O_O Oh..."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    D is starting to tempt me more and more. Don't they know about our BHC? Couldn't they block it just as well as our new and improved cannon? And if we have spy in our midst, wouldn't they have told about our mech too?

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'll be pissed if Epsilon suddenly drops out of nowhere and starts carving up our heavy ships in the rear with CFs. Superheavies, if I remember correctly, aren't good at defending from light CFs. And we have the Jupiter bomb with them.

Fuck it. Full speed ahead!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Treating the most consequence filled LP in history like it's a larpy power fantasy and gambling everything on a greedy division of our forces that would make Sun Tzu spin in his grave...

What could possibly go wrong?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. treave or anyone who knows: So who was cyber jack, anyway? Was this revealed?

Was it Anna? Cuz if it was, I have a few questions for h--
    :dead:
    Oh...right...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Deciding to run to the temple and then attack Shulgi meant that I had to dump the whole cyberpunk plotline and AI Goddess Yua. Oh well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.