Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Bros, hang on a minute and hear me out:
What do you want?
Power?
Knowledge?
Or to be greedy and try to take it all?

It's just weird to me that this choice parallels the Master's choice...

Were I a person with any number of paranoia related disorders - as any codexer should be - I might think the the masters would have prepared for me and booby-trapped the computer. Being able to predict our actions was the reason he asked an answer of us and we did give him one.

AA - We have already demonstrated our ability to mimic the functions of a quantum computer thanks to Sek's gift. Let's not hook our brain up to any Master tech for the time being.

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright, you two convinced me, but Storyfag is right: we either take Vajra or destroy it. As sad as I am to pass up on Vajra weaponry against the League, sabotaging their defenses simply opens up too many options in the future.

Like taking the system and placing ourselves into a tactically superior position. AB.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, you can use the degen field on foot. It'll be described in the next update. As for Rei, nothing is going to be able to hurt her while you're parked in the hangar unless they have a Council immortal stowed away somewhere. The drones don't have space to fly about and she can just camp the hangar doors shooting anything trying to get in.

Esquilax

Arcane
The room labelled database facility. From what I know, this could be linked to the League’s database; I should be able to obtain information about almost everything I want to know from here.

At first, this option didn't seem particularly attractive to me because we've spent the last few updates gaining knowledge on Project V, so I thought "what else could we possibly want to know?" then I realized that the Star League has been serving and communicating with the Masters for thousands of years. They know how many there are, the overall goals of the "game", the extent of their abilities, and they probably even have some idea of what their dimension is like (though they've never actually been there). Given treave's mention of our character being the type that prioritizes knowing things, I can't help but feel it's a hint, and that we might really be overlooking things here.

The problem is that this would also take time and we can't linger too long or else Rei might be in trouble if there's a Council immortal running around here. So if we want to buy ourselves time, we have to give her Boshen's head for protection while we are out getting info and trying to sabotage Carneus Beta.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm just saying that we can't stick around forever. Trying to get into their computer, get their info and get Vajra all in one go will be a disaster.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, obviously. I'm not telling when Alpha is coming, but Alpha is coming. Going for the higher priority target is a sound strategy, but is it really a good idea to go into the control room straight off the bat? That's likely to be where you'll find the person commanding the superweapon. The place is not very well-populated, yes, but they're not going to leave it being run by some third-rate grunt either. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Flopping to BB, because of what was said above. Forget I said anything.
Of course, we should keep in mind the risks associated with going solo: we no longer have the toughness our nanotech gave us.

As awesome as freeing up the co-pilot slot for Shulgi would be (I'm sure piloting with him would be an Xtremely Epic Xperience), Rei is our sis. Nobody fucks with our sis.
Edit:
Oh, obviously. I'm not telling when Alpha is coming, but Alpha is coming. Going for the higher priority target is a sound strategy, but is it really a good idea to go into the control room straight off the bat? That's likely to be where you'll find the person commanding the superweapon. The place is not very well-populated, yes, but they're not going to leave it being run by some third-rate grunt either. :lol:
Can we do this then: Intel room-> swing by to check if Rei needs help laying down some smack-> control room -> teleport away from inside the fortress?

OTOH, why should we be scared of him when we can permakill immortals and erase beings from existence?

Baltika9

Arcane
Uh...
Oh, obviously. I'm not telling when Alpha is coming, but Alpha is coming.
A interesting secondary objective is totalling Cerneus Alpha. One or two shots of the Anihilator Cannon could do it. Hacking all of it could also do.
You guys thinking what I'm thinking? Namely, kill the Immortal, hack the system and pull the ultimate friendly fire trick on Alpha?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, is Senya using his Gravity Suit here? Haven't seen it for a long time, did Senya ever use it?

The pilot suit he's wearing is a slimmed down version of it. Not going to let him go toe to toe with Ean or fight Space Dragon Emperor on foot though. Also, Senya is not exactly as good as a quantum computer, but for regular operation of the mech he's good enough. And he has never been superhuman - peak human at best. He'll always have to rely on skill, esoteric powers or technology to be on par with even the lowliest Dunamis grunt.

Subverting project V, so that we'll be the ones calling the shots though, that would be awesome. And it could win us the war.
Councilman: Feel the power of this fully operational FTL cannon!

Ean: Oh noez!

Vajra Gunner: MMMMFF!! MFFMFMFMM!!!

Senya: *swings the aim a bit to the left while humming whatever the Shinari equivalent of Ode to Joy is*

Boom.

Esquilax

Arcane
Absolutely not, Baltika9, that just sounds like a really greedy plan that will backfire on us horribly. Under no circumstances do I want to be here when Alpha arrives, so I am against any bullshit "one brilliant stroke of genius" plans like this.

Pretty good powers for fighting immortals, but I'm unsure Senya will be able to do much against someone very fast and a powerful telekinetic. He has quite good mental defenses. How do any of you think that Senya would do, mano-a-mano against, say, Zeus, or Ean in Olympus? Edem? Marduk? Shulgi?

Immortals nowadays are way more powerful than Ean circa 1900 B.C. I could see how a more martially-inclined type a la Ean who doesn't rely on psionics would be a horrible match-up for Senya, especially on foot. An individual like that would be fast enough to overcome Senya's abilities.

I think I'm going after the database, but I'm unsure if its better to leave that Deity with Rei or take him along with us.

Well, if I were the immortal charged with overseeing this place, I'd probably run off to take out the gigantic mech in the hangar right about now, because I'm the only one that can reasonably take it on. At the same time, as Senya, I understand that my mission here is to destroy their weapon and/or destroy their fortifications. I also know that my chances of taking on a powerful immortal are pretty much zero, unless they're distracted enough that I can focus on their fault lines long enough.

I'd rather go to the control room while an immortal is distracted with the mech. However, that means that we'd have to give Rei the head to give her a bit of an edge in the hangar. After getting info from their database, we would decide whether it's better to go straight for either the computer or the power center to swipe Vajra.

treave, speaking of Ean, how physically powerful is he? Can he rip through a battleship's hull, for instance? Also, does his telekinesis allow him to create a shield for himself the same way that Zeus did?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
But... if the immortal is running off from the control room to the hangar, and you're running from the hangar to the control room...

:lol:

Slashing through a battlecruiser might be possible but take some time if you're chipping at it with a one-metre long blade or your fingernails. The hardened new material that the Armada flagships are sporting would be a problem. Zeus's shield was a Vajra shield. Very distinctive, not a product of telekinesis. He has some tricks of his own that'll allow him to deal damage, of course.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Guise, guise, just to be sure: the creation of Avatars is impossible as long as Ean and Sekh are alive, right? Right?

Also, why the control center?
Well, after gaining control of the facility, we might be able to access the database remotely AND gain enough time to get the Vajra piece.
Shooting Armada Alpha would be too greedy. But shooting all those other forts using the Vajra should be fun.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
indiana-jones-shoots-swordsman-o.gif

The above, while being cool, is not very probable against someone who makes a mockery of physical laws of nature by their very existance. :roll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To a certain extent, yes. And by to a certain extent I mean as long as they don't make a massive sacrifice.

Baltika9

Arcane
But... if the immortal is running off from the control room to the hangar, and you're running from the hangar to the control room...

:lol:
They smash into each other as they're rounding a corner, the turrets freezing up, hesitant to accidentally fire on the fortress' commander.

The Immortal and Gieloth look at each other awkwardly for a few seconds.

"...this never happened."

"Agreed."

And merrily continue on their ways.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ever wonder just what exactly they did to get Vajra Shula working with one piece?

Esquilax

Arcane
I considered the possibility of them bringing an Avatar into this dimension, but the Masters could also have just given them instructions via the voices without going through the trouble of sending an emissary. I could see them sending an Avatar at some point, but I think we'd have to make them desperate first. Besides, I thought the Masters wanted to bring civilizations they deemed "worthy" to the gateway: if they have to babysit and win the war for them, they're not exactly worthy.

Not like wiping out their most fortified base and depriving them of their superweapon is going to make them desperate or anything. :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That was a red herring. :( The pattern inscribed by the tubes connecting the seventy fortresses, with the Vajra Shula at the centre, on the other hand... Well, it's not exactly the palace that the Naram-Master constructed. So there's no need to worry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom