Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

a cut of domestic sheep prime

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lp-cyoa-epic.73515/page-433#post-2792669
AA is high-risk for Rei and high-reward vs the immortal. We lose a possible edge against Alpha but gain one vs the immortal. Or lose time and get the mech weakened or Rei killed.
AB is high-risk fight 1vs1 a immortal or more, the high-reward is that we can control the station's systems (making our acess go fastah on the other places) and gives us a edge in case Alpha shows up.
You are right. BC is my new vote. "Knowledge to cure our ignorance" it is.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll update like... tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, but Boshen's ability has expressed itself in another specialty. Eye lasers.

Esquilax

Arcane
@treave, is Boshen any good at masking his psychic presence? Cloaking won't do us much good if an immortal can sense him anyways. I'm assuming that a side effect of being a terminal of the Observer is that Senya "doesn't exist", and therefore has no psychic presence, correct?

I've flopped to AC. Rei will potentially have to fight an immortal, but having Boshen around lets us work quickly. The sort of information I'd expect the League's database to have would be as follows:
  • The location of Epsilon
  • Instructions on how to secure the Vajra piece safely from the power chamber - as I said before, I don't think it's as simple as removing a light bulb.
  • Names, locations, abilities and powers of the Council of Nine.
  • Information about the Masters: abilities, hierarchies, limits of their powers, description of their dimension and possibly numbers and hints with regards to sub-factions. The last bit interests me a lot; we know that the Gieloth had various factions, and we've seen hints of a hierarchy with various superiors before.
You nod. "You must be a friend of Zeus."

"Not exactly. He was in some ways, my superior. We have... had... a working relationship, but that is no concern of yours."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Boshen can't mask his psychic presence. Senya the human exists, so that they can detect. The database has Master info, yes.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, voting AC for loredumps. Hopefully, we'll get to sabotage the fortress system and black hole Vajra later. Even if that makes us an undomesticated snowman.

Kayerts

Arcane
Broshen is the best thing to happen to this LP since . . . well, since the Devourer. Which wasn't very long ago. But he's awesome!

We'll probably have time to explore a maximum of two locations; presumably, the choices we make along the way could affect that adversely. Rei probably won't be able to solo the avatar responsible for helping the League construct Vajra Shula, but she doesn't have to. She just needs to stay alive and keep Anbur-Shu intact long enough for Senya to do his job. Her abilities are generally very tank-oriented; I think she can handle herself.

If we want to go to the control room, it sounds like we should go there second--long enough for Rei to lure out the commandant. Of the two remaining options, the database room seems good. We'll get a literal infodump, and maybe Senya can swap the table pointers for Armada_Flagships and Vajra_Targets.

AC

ScubaV

Prophet
Alright, I'll flop to AC. Not changing my original post cuz I had a crazy day at work and I'm too lazy.

Baltika9

Arcane
The only reason Zeus' avatar wasn't able to jack our Vajra piece is brcause Ean had built a connection of sorts to it. Which the immediately severed when they got it.
"Not exactly. He was in some ways, my superior. We have... had... a working relationship, but that is no concern of yours." He raises a gloved hand - in it you see the piece of Vajra that you had. You instantly realize that you no longer had any connection to it. It had been ripped away, unsettling your powers, but doing no major harm to your body.
We don't have time to make a connection. That, and I'm sure the Masters' controll over their tech in their dimension is much greater than that of an Avatar in ours.

Baltika9

Arcane
Or we could subtly alter the program so that when they fire it next time, Vajra Shule explodes in a ball of pure energy, annihilating eveyrthing in the system.

That's how you :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1. A - 9, B - 3
2. B - 5, C - 7

Database Break and Entry

The database facility is located on a higher level. I run through the route in my mind as I keep moving down the corridor. It has been ten minutes since we made our entry; due to the size of the fortress, the internal defences are both automated and localized, rather than being run from a central computer. This means that there is no possibility of gaining master access from the local systems; any intruder would have to fight their way through block by block, but on the other hand, it also meant that if I managed to take over the local systems, they will find it very difficult to override from the central computer. Of course, given that the electronic countermeasures of the Star League are some of the best in the entire galaxy – they would have to be, to rely so heavily on drones – I’m not about to waste my time doing so. Breaking and entering, grabbing data; these I can do relatively easily. Something more complex like reprogramming their entire defensive system to reconfigure the parameters for hostile and friendly targets would definitely waste too much time, particularly as this is the first time I have had a chance to encounter how their system works.

Up ahead, just before the elevator, is one of the ‘killing rooms’ that the passages are designed to funnel intruders towards. I can expect it to be barricaded by now with security forces and turrets. It would take nothing short of a heavy assault squad to break through, but luckily I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

“Boshen,” I call out to the head attached to my backpack.

“Yes, Bel-Senya?”

“Do you absolutely have to chant whenever you cloak?”

“It is an expression of my faith. You might as well ask me not to breathe, Dragonwarden!” he recoils in genuine horror.

“You aren’t breathing. You don't have lungs to breathe with. I don't even know how you can even talk!”

“That is because my faith gives me strength, strength enough to surpass problems such as that of not having a body! After all, who needs a body when the eyes are already recording the most glorious experience any Spirit could hope to have?” grins Boshen proudly.

He had been the only one to volunteer for the operation, so I guess I really can’t complain.

“Fine. Could you just… whisper your chant or something?”

“Whisper my chant? Dragonwarden, I do not understand your request.” He truly looks perplexed, as if whispering a chant is the most alien thing in the world to him. I heave a sigh and reconsider my approach. Opening the door would attract their attention anyway, cloaked or not. I don’t need to be convincing Boshen about this right now. Maybe later.

I jack the shielding on my suit up to the maximum, transferring power away from the weapons systems. The door slides open with a mild hiss and I plunge in, Boshen screaming away about the glory of the Empire behind me. One hundred and twenty milliseconds before the turrets and droids begin to fire. Sixteen turrets, twenty five droids. Three hundred milliseconds before the security forces react. Eight men, armed with fletchettes and carbines. The room is a circle roughly fifteen metres in diameter. All targets are within range. My mind is focused. Keen. Sharp.

Every particle in the room is known to me.

They will break.

Colour itself drains from the blue-streaked world as their movements still. Bullets that are just exiting the barrels of their guns splinter, tumbling harmlessly and slowly in the field of my power. The gleaming bodies of the turrets crack. Pieces of plating begin to peel away from the armoured suits of the security forces. Where their skin has been exposed, it flays. Perfect little globes of flesh and blood float from their bodies as they come apart bit by bit. A great dent radiates outward from my position as the metal floor buckles. The turrets crumple, buzzing noisily as they die. The droids break, their parts scattering. The men are forced to their knees, their eyes filled with uncomprehending terror. Then they, too die, collapsing in an explosion of bloody mist.

“Well, this is a rather messy way of solving things. I think I’ll leave it for emergencies.” I breathe out as the world returns to normal around me. It gives me a headache to maintain the field for too long, but this is still within my limits. I realize that Boshen is not saying anything. Strange – I’m sure I kept him out of the field of effect. “Boshen, are you okay? Boshen?”

“Oh, oh yes, I am fine, Lord Warden! I am just… spellbound.”

I run towards the nearest elevator, forcibly inserting my tendrils into the panel. I don’t have enough time to run up the flights of stairs; I’ll have to chance the elevator. “Spellbound? What do you mean?”

“This… power. This is what keeps our Emperor warded in his black throne, right?”

“No, not really. That’s something else.” I finish making a minor tweak to the controls, making it so that the elevator will always be detected as being one floor down. As the doors open, I get in hurriedly.

“Oh, don’t be modest! The Dragonwarden's power manifests itself through his every gesture, his every step! I cannot believe that I, alone of my brethren, have been privileged to witness the Warden’s power first hand. This is more than a lowly Spirit like me deserves,” breathes Boshen heavily. “We will write hymns. Long, epic hymns about this exalted day! We will immortalize this in sacred song!”

“…We?”

“Why, the Brotherhood of the Dragonwarden, of course!”

I sigh and ask Boshen for a cloak before he begins explaining everything about this Brotherhood. He obliges happily and begins a chant. It’s a new chant this time, incorporating subject matters like the slowed river of time. A few seconds later, the elevator reaches our destination. The database facility lies just to my left, right after getting off. The guards have been drawn off to the level below us, and I manage to enter without a fuss. The master database itself is a massive sapphire orb as large as a regular CF floating above a complex control panel. It looks like the storage medium is light. I plug my tendrils in and feel my mind instantly assailed by an immensely strong ICE. As expected of the League… their cyber-defenses are nothing to be sneezed at.

“Master, we can’t beat this thing,” cries Yua. “It’s going to fry our mind in seconds!”

The sheer size of the database means that I won’t be able to dump everything and sort it out at my leisure. I’ll have to focus on a couple of topics of interest and log out quickly. After that, I'd have to get out of here before I'm surrounded by every single droid and soldier in the vicinity.

(Pick two)

A. Recordings where the Masters have made contact with the Council, along with what is known about them.

B. Every detail I can get about the Vajra Shula fortress-weapon, including strengths and vulnerabilities.

C. Specific about the artefact powering the Vajra Shula and how to utilize it.

D. Information on the Star League’s military movements and overall strategy in the sector.

E. Data on every Council member and their current whereabouts.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
AC for now. I'm definite on our choice of A, however the other choice may need more consideration. I may flop to B in order to improve our chances of success with the rest of the fortress, for now I really want to know how the League managed to jury-rig the Vajra piece.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah. Forbidden fruit.

Just off the bat, I don't think we want to utilize the V ourselves. But info on the fortress is good.
So first pick is
B

As for the second choice, my gut says we want info on the masters. We know so little, anything more would help.

Of course, getting to the masters would be easier if we had the intel to defeat their puppets, the League first, but I'm hungry for info on the real enemy here.

A

Kayerts

Arcane
BD

Reasoning: The League's higher-ups' info on the masters is cool and all, but you know who else has it? The League's higher-ups. Realistically, winning the war against the League will entail some of those bros surrendering, since the alternative is annihilation. Given that a negotiated surrender may also offer them a chance to meet their gods (...which is the same prize obtained by victory, now that I think about it...), some of them may yield us info on said gods.

The benefit of A is that we get that info before the League starts to surrender. Which could matter; there's a good chance that an avatar's running around in the fortress itself. (Hey, maybe if he feels the fortress is in jeopardy, he'll pick up Vajra before he goes looking for Rei.) And we don't know that Vajra Shula is the only example of Masters' fuckery in this war; after all, they somehow acquired another quantum computer, and the mysterious resilience of their flagships' hulls is suspicious.

Still, D looks better, and seems sufficient to ensure our victory in a war in which we have a superweapon and they don't. Regarding the "they don't" part, we need a way to complete our mission. If we wanted to claim Vajra for ourselves, I'd go with C, but since claiming it for ourselves is stupid, I think sufficient knowledge of the fortress will allow us to render the artifact unusable.

Esquilax

Arcane
Reasoning: The League's higher-ups' info on the masters is cool and all, but you know who else has it? The League's higher-ups. Realistically, winning the war against the League will entail some of those bros surrendering, since the alternative is annihilation. Given that a negotiated surrender may also offer them a chance to meet their gods (...which is the same prize obtained by victory, now that I think about it...), some of them may yield us info on said gods.

The benefit of A is that we get that info before the League starts to surrender. Which could matter; there's a good chance that an avatar's running around in the fortress itself. (Hey, maybe if he feels the fortress is in jeopardy, he'll pick up Vajra before he goes looking for Rei.) And we don't know that Vajra Shula is the only example of Masters' fuckery in this war; after all, they somehow acquired another quantum computer, and the mysterious resilience of their flagships' hulls is suspicious.

I disagree with this - I don't think that info on the Masters is something that we can easily extract from the devout Council. From what they know of us, we have bad intentions towards the gods that they've served for millenia, so I doubt they'll be forthcoming. Why would they help the people who want to kill their gods, surrender or not? Even with any wacky mind rape plans in place, these guys are powerful and I don't think Ean or our Deities have the telepathy/psionics to extract such information through coercion. Without Shulgi around, this database is our best bet for knowledge on the Masters.

As for D, knowing their movements is a huge advantage, but I reckon they'd change their strategy quite a bit if they lose the superweapon and/or a considerable part of their fortress is destroyed. Destroying this place could force them to come after Ean's fleet at Bainur, which would be preferable to fighting at Carneus Beta. Still, would be nice to know where Epsilon is and where Beta/Gamma are headed.

So, I'm going with AB for the moment. Having Vajra is nice (and the potential for FTL communication that we've speculated upon would be incredible), but I'd prefer to sabotage this place in order to force the League into a huge battle at Bainur. That being said, knowing where the League's forces are and where they're headed would make linking up with Ean much easier if we're successful here. These are all good choices, and I could flop to pretty much anything so long as it has B/C.

ScubaV

Prophet
treave, can you elaborate more on the difference between B and C? Presumably C would give us info on how to control it, and B would let us strategize around it. Which would give us info on how to disable/destroy it? Ideally, I'd like to subvert it for our purposes, but it is Master tech and we can't stay here all the time which would give the Star League an opportunity to re-assume control. I'd like to retain the option to remove it from the battlefield entirely.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The superweapon Vajra Shula and the Vajra piece that powers it are different things even if they are connected. For example, understanding how a nuclear reactor works doesn't mean you understand how a nuclear submarine operates.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm guessing if we want to pull off the Ultimate Sabotage (tm), we should probably know both the weaknesses of the Vajra Shula fortress and how the League managed to power it with only one piece of Vajra. The unfortunate part of this is that this sort of specialization means we have to forgo all kinds of tasty storyfaggotry. But fuck it, this is a risky operation and we need to make it work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom