Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    B.

Should have gone for C over A.

^ Top  
  2. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I think I know why Mere has defected:

I can't be entirely sure, but I think that she found this out somehow. A darker interpretation of events might be that she also intends to betray us so that she is the only one to reach the gateway.

As for the choice: fuck, I was busy, otherwise I would have flopped to BC for synergy and max sabotage skillz. It appears to me that since we don't know how the Masters jury-rigged the piece, it's also difficult to know how to remove it safely. I suppose the best safest and most productive thing to do is to fuck up the quantum computer itself and render the facility inoperable.

The one major issue with B that I see is this:

How many quantum computers were the League gifted? We had our hands on one, and the League has another, but who knows if they have more? If we sabotage this thing, it's useless if they can get it up and running again in a week.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    An important piece of knowledge we gained by A though, is that the Masters wield less power in their own home universe than elsewhere, and that there are 13 of them. It gives us some sense of scale and tells us this is winnable.
    Also, their own dimension is the size of a solar system? The sun bomb would've been ludicrous overkill.. +M

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And the Avatar. We have Ean to take care of it, yes, but that means we'll have to find another way of taking care of the Council.

^ Top  
  5. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Yep, this is pretty crucial info.

I'll vote A. If we can't control the Vajra gun, let's see if we can destroy it. All we have to do is somehow remove the artifact and everything will collapse on itself. We just have to hope we can make it out alive first.

^ Top  
  6. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Yeah, Mere's claimed motive that "the League is better off without them" struck me as suspicious at the time, since it can only be truthful if she's in this curious middle ground where she knows about Vajra Shula but doesn't know about the Masters' reset (and also trusts that Senya and the Empire will be merciful in their victory). It seems like the Council probably knows about the reset, given the reference to becoming a voice and participating in "endless games to come."

Speaking of which, isn't it incongruous that all this info is sitting right here? Aside from the fact that we needed a loredump, I mean. Treave told us that all this was locally stored on this particular database. Why would the League do that? It seems like there's a large amount of information here that is (a) privy only to the Council and (b) not very relevant to the operation of a doom cannon.

Also:

So they managed to get both the nigh-on-invulnerable battleship armor and Vajra Shula without him. (And they weren't able to defeat the Empire for five years, even with quantum computers.)

Anyway, Esquilax is right about assessing the risk of them just swapping out the quantum computer we sabotage with another. I'd discourage anyone from a plan that relies on the computer continuing to run for an extended period after we leave the station. The League isn't completely retarded; if they know that Senya "Greatest Hacker in the Universe" Hoshikawa made a lightning raid on their superweapon and then left shortly thereafter, without doing any physical damage to the systems, they're not going to decide, "Hey I bet he didn't do anything bad to our targeting systems, better charge up the biggest shot we can and fire it!"

B for now.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    This database is probably a copy of what is available outside. Why they'd have a copy here you don't know. And tech progress doesn't happen overnight unless you're some genocidal prodigy with a penchant for destruction, you just happen to pop up when they're finally testing out their new shit (you didn't really think they actually lent three to the Federation because the League didn't know what to do with them, did you?)

Though you guys might be underestimating the Empire ever since that victory. All this superstuff is useless if you can't bring it to bear where it can defeat the enemy. A confrontation isn't always about brute force, who has the biggatons win. You yourself beat the Empire's crusade not purely by force, but by a mixture of trickery, direct assault and negotiation.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I always thought they did iy because Terra's scientists were the best in the Galaxy at what they do. Right?

Wait, three supercomputers?

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    The Storyfag finds that loredump a bit on the short side, treave :rpgcodex:

What's this Shulgi's lover business about again? I thought Shulgi had a working relationship with that Master, nothing more. And the final missing Master is of course the one who went: "I want to be a Sphere! :retarded:" and posessed Naram. We also heard that one named Ra exists. Also, not really sure that Dio can be counted among the Masters - he's implied to be their progenitor, not one of them.

Anyway, voting B. I highly doubt we can remove the Varja safely. But we sure as hell can fire the weapon to fuck up the League's fortifications in this system at the very least.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    There just isn't much left to dump.

Well, sure, if you believe what the League said...

^ Top  
  11. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Ah, nuts. Oh, well. This loredump gives us more info for use when we inevitably die and get snapped back to the choice with Adrahasis.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Central Brain

The moment I approach the doors to the control room, I realize that I have been caught. A psychic net carpets the corridor, so fine and intangible that I only discover its existence after stumbling into it. It is akin to stepping on a spider’s web and feeling the taut silk under your feet, vibrating to signal the spider that its prey has arrived. Boshen’s cloaking would do me no good here – whatever is beyond those doors feels by senses not of the mundane.

What’s the matter, laughs a voice broadcasted directly into my head. Are you hesitating? I knew you would come.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I step forward with my shields up. The doors slide open smoothly, revealing the control room itself; a large, circular chamber with a dais in the center. Rows of complex instrumentation adorn the panels that line the walls; it'd take me some time to go through them all. A man sits cross-legged on the dais, an ornate looking bowl placed over his shaven head. There is no one else in the room. Behind him is an elaborate holographic map of the star clusters in the galactic core, with Carneus Beta marked out in flashing red print. With exact, exaggerated movements, the man raises his hands and begins clapping slowly.

“It was not out of my expectations that you would arrive here. Bravo. I knew that you knew I would be here.”

“Actually, I was looking for the washroom.” I say.

The smooth features of the shaven man curl into a frown as he peers at me. “We are beyond such petty taunts, don’t you think? After all, we have pitted our intellects against one another for half a millenium – oh, there is no need to act surprised. We both knew this was coming. Your silly disguise as a mortal will not fool me, even if it is particularly well made.” The man dismisses my puzzlement as a front for my true intentions, before I can even speak. He continues, a sly grin on his face. “How did you manage to sneak past our defences? Is it that head that you’re carrying around on your back? Optical manipulation?”

“I am not just any head, dog of the Masters!” snarls Boshen. “I am the right hand Spirit to the Great Deity Jheverg, Second of the Brotherhood of the Dragonwarden. You would do well to be more respectful lest you suffer the wrath of the Warden.”

“Dragonwarden?” laughs the man, ignoring Boshen’s outburst. “Another of your names, then – you seem to be collecting plenty. Does that have anything to do with how you took down the Great Devourer? Your monkeys invented a pretty good machine there. It is the same one currently running riot in my hangars, I presume? I wouldn’t want to face it down one on one, so if it is a threat towards me, it is pretty effective. Colmar and Versais would relish fighting it however.”

“Are you implying that you are weaker than them? Surely that can’t be true.” I am not sure what to say, but baiting questions are probably a safe bet. Probably.

“Physically, I suppose.” He shrugs, a small smirk crossing his lips. “I am connected to the entirety of Vajra Shula through the quantum computer. Nothing that happens onboard is beyond my knowing or my reach. In here, you have only progressed so far because I have allowed you to. Your little detour to the database facility was not out of my expectations either." The man leans forward, his grey eyes gleaming with arrogant humour. "Did you like what I allowed you to find? Consider it a token gift to kick off our meeting."

"That is a very big claim you make there." I try to match his smirk. I doubt he is lying, but I doubt he has the full control he claims he does either. The truth is probably somewhere in between - if there is one thing I have learnt, immortals love to pretend that everything is going to plan, even if it isn't. Well, so do I, but that's besides the point. "Do you really think you could stop me?"

"I could bring the corridors down on your head if I so wished. But then I presume you would only find some other way to vex me, so it seems we are forced to talk for now. It is not like I am uninterested in what you have to say. Now, let’s get to the business of why you are here. I cannot think of any other reason for you to visit me in such a fashion unless it is to talk about what we discussed when we last met. We both know, you and I, that the Council is more fractured than we would like to pretend we are. No one else seems to want to admit it, not Gorski or Lennon. Not even Cooper. I’m not even going to bother with the rest. All this is just going to end up with us backstabbing each other at the Gate.”

“Perhaps. You seem confident that you will be at the Gate.” I give an enigmatic smile, my face composed even though my mind is working furiously to digest what I have just heard and seeking a way to turn it to my advantage.

“With Vajra Shula complete, you don’t really stand a chance. Victory is already ours. I think you understand that. Why else would you have come to talk with me, Shulgi? Despite our differences in the past, I think we can come to an understanding; you know that too, or you would not be here, no?”

Somehow, he thinks I’m Shulgi. This is either going to turn out very well for me, or be an unprecedented disaster…

A. Play along at being Shulgi. If he thinks I am Shulgi, I must become Shulgi. I will attempt to tease out every bit of knowledge I can from this member of the Council whose name I don’t even know. It will take every ounce of my poker-face and trickery to succeed, but I believe I can. Perhaps we can even come to a deal, whatever it was that Shulgi spoke to him about.

B. Surprise attack! I toss Boshen’s head at him, and then use the time bought to launch a tentacle attack that will disembody this immortal. My power can stop him from effectively regenerating, and once he is at my mercy I can interrogate him further. This should be less risky than attempting to trick a psychic immortal whose abilities and history are a blank to me.

C. I have no time to play around with this man. Regardless of what they say and are planning, our match is already in its final stages. No more games. It will only end with their destruction, and this would be a good place to start. If I am to destroy this Council member, I must do it thoroughly; I invoke a greater measure of my power for the first time and wipe him from existence. This will be a good test.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Clearly this distinguished Council member is a Codexer. Only one of us would see Shulgi everywhere.

Will vote later, but I am not sure about trying to bullshit this guy yet. Will our knowledge of the Masters be enough leverage to conduct negotiations with him, I wonder? It was enough to get us talking thus far, but any more could be pushing it.

Edit: What it is that Shulgi and this unknown immortal could have discussed? At the moment, I am guessing that they wanted to engage in a pact that would kill off the Council until only the two of them are left, then they'd square off.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    So tempted to go for the lulzy option, equally tempted to try and be Shulgi, but most tempted to try and finish this man here and now.

What a waste that Shulgi isn't here. I wonder if the nanites that Sekhenun purged from Senya, does she still have them? They were a "gift" from Shulgi. Perhaps she could do the same to them, as she did to the Inanna flower to resurrect herself and Ean? I mean, I suspect some essence of Shulgi remains in them. Did he not speak to Senya at some point after his "death"?

If Sekh and Rei in concert could bring back Shulgi, it would be truly Epic..

^ Top  
  15. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Ean and Shulgi: the greatest broteam that never was. ... Or rather, was, for like five seconds.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The nanites only contained a voice that was once under Shulgi's command, not Shulgi himself. 'He' won't be conscious unless the nanites reconstruct his brain... or he has otherwise ascended like Ean did.

This choice would be easier if we got the Council loredump. At least he believes Shulgi is a strong enough psychic to resist mind reading, so he won't be too suspicious of Senya's thoughts and indeed isn't bothering to try to read them... for now.

^ Top  
  17. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    To state the obvious, this bro is obviously a powerful telepath, probably quite a bit stronger than Adrahasis while he's connected to the quantum computer. He at least finds Senya's implication that he's the strongest member of the Council plausible.

The bit about the spider's web at the beginning looks like a warning; I suspect he's totally capable of ruining Senya's day. Right now, he thinks Senya's Shulgi. This is an advantage, in that Shulgi's attacks and defenses were quite different from Senya's--he'll be expecting lightning, telekinesis, and mind warring, and will be anticipating greater physical defenses than Senya actually has. If we take option A and mess up, that advantage is gone. We'll probably mess it up, because we know nothing about the Council and not even that much about Shulgi.

On the other hand, leaving him in a state in which we can interrogate him leaves him in a state in which he can probably use his mental powers. Maybe disconnecting from the quantum computer will decrease that to a manageable amount.

B for now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    B for now, but C is tempting. treave, now that Senya has is past self's knowledge, what does he know or theorize about this existence wiping thing and the consequences it would have?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You delete the fella, but whatever he has done remains. Kinda like deleting the cause but not the effect. If it were a database you'd leave behind invalid references to an entry that doesn't exist. From a normal, human perspective nothing would actually change except that your target is no more. As for the consequences, it would worsen the Ghostpocalypse but one immortal shouldn't tip the scales that much.

^ Top  
  20. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Damn, when I started reading this, I thought for some bizarre reason that this guy was Ares, and he thought we were Runi. Which would have been hilarious.

Tentative A for now.
    C

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Decaption won't work, he still has immense mental power. He will figure out we aren't Shulgi, then we are fucked.

C. Time to use this power and up our game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Hm, yeah, that would be funny. I'll keep that in mind.

^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B, as per Kayerts' argumentation.

^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I think we're missing an important point here guys. If this powerful immortal from the League is convinced Shulgi somehow managed to avoid death by star, we would be foolish to think otherwise. He probably is around somewhere, hidden from our immediate sight.

It would be rather un-Shulgi like to simply let himself be shot into the sun, would it not?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Oh believe me, I'm not missing this point. Truth be told, some of the first questions I intend to ask this Immortal will regard his contact with Shulgi.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.