Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    treave, can you elaborate more on the difference between B and C? Presumably C would give us info on how to control it, and B would let us strategize around it. Which would give us info on how to disable/destroy it? Ideally, I'd like to subvert it for our purposes, but it is Master tech and we can't stay here all the time which would give the Star League an opportunity to re-assume control. I'd like to retain the option to remove it from the battlefield entirely.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The superweapon Vajra Shula and the Vajra piece that powers it are different things even if they are connected. For example, understanding how a nuclear reactor works doesn't mean you understand how a nuclear submarine operates.

^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I'm guessing if we want to pull off the Ultimate Sabotage (tm), we should probably know both the weaknesses of the Vajra Shula fortress and how the League managed to power it with only one piece of Vajra. The unfortunate part of this is that this sort of specialization means we have to forgo all kinds of tasty storyfaggotry. But fuck it, this is a risky operation and we need to make it work.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Do we have anyone on our side that can mindscan/mindrape a Council member?

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
  6. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
  7. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Here are our viable options:

Practicality-BC
    Pull off a masterful sabotage, fucking these guys over at a key moment in the near future.

Reasonable Storyfaggotry-AB
    We get info on our ultimate enemies, the Masters, and level the playing field (not really, though. More like skew it to our advantage) by taking out their superfortress. Maybe we can later use the Vajra fragment to seal the portal to the Masters' dimension after all of this is over.

Maximum Storyfaggotry-AE
    Fuck pragmatism, I want loredumps! No, I really do.

One thing about E: it will tell us if there's a Master on board (plausible, this is a very important installation) and if there is one, what are his strengths and weaknesses (Is Mere a secret member? :troll: ) Besides which, the Council can still royally fuck us up, any and all info on them is important.
    For Ean especially, he can handle two, maybe three at a time (and that's stretching it), but there are nine of these pricks, they're no joke.

Thinking about going for the second option, but I just want to know about all of our high-level enemies.

^ Top  
  9. Hmm. The pattern of the fortresses linked together. Maybe there is some way to feed the power back at the Masters...
    AC

I think C will serve us well in the future either way. Senya is unearthly sharp mentally. With enough data, he could probably build his own Varja knockoff and open a portal to the Master's dimension without fighting the League.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    AB
    No way I'm passing up info on the Masters. And it better not be some second-rate crap, either.

^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
  12. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I'm voting AB.
    Our primary concern is to get rid of the immense Penis-Cannon shooting at us from far away, preferably by fucking it over. Making our own Vajra-like cannon and mouting it on a ship (or on our mech) is also a excellent thing. A FTL cannon would be just THE THING to make our arsenal more rounded than ever, the space equivalent of a sniper rifle.
    Getting info about The Master may be either vital, or its some second-hand crap about how The Masters are glorious and benevolent, serve The Masters, The Masters are good, they came to us like the gods they were, etc etc yadda yadda.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A - 10
    B - 8
    C - 4
    D - 1
    E - 1

Information Medium

The Council and the Masters have had a long history, dating back nearly ten thousand years, long before the formation of the Star League. It appears that an avatar of theirs is still active in the League – an immortal possessed from the very beginning of their contact. This immortal would serve as a liaison between the Masters and the Council. He presented them with aid and obstacles, guiding and frustrating in equal measure. The last gift that he brought was that of the quantum computers, five years ago. There is no further record of any contact with the avatar after that.

As for the League’s Masters in general, little is known, even to the Council. They are a secretive people. Though the Council appear to question little of what the avatar said, with most of the interesting details being hidden under endless blather about the need to win the game and prove their superiority, I manage to derive the following from the recordings of their meetings involving the Masters.

Firstly, there appeared to be no more than eleven Masters at present, and their original number had been thirteen.

Secondly, their home dimension was a very small space; a pocket universe that was no bigger than a solar system.

Thirdly, they wielded far greater power in our universe than they did in their world. As the creators of this universe they would be omnipotent and omniscient if allowed full access, but in their own dimension they were bound by certain limits. What these limits are is still unknown, and the League has no plans to find out.

Lastly, only one representative from the first civilization to reach the gateway will be allowed to enter. This is something that the Council has kept secret. They have agreed to vote on the representative once they arrive; according to the avatar, past civilizations have turned on each other in bloody civil strife to choose the representative. Upon presenting his gift, the representative speaking for his civilization would be granted a single wish, one that would be fulfilled by his Masters after he completes the ritual.

The ritual appears to involve the representative immortal adding his voice to those already present inside him; he will become one of the many, to aid his successors in ultimately reaching the gateway in the endless games to come. They consider it a great blessing.

As for the space-fortress Vajra Shula, the specifications were downright terrifying. Mere was either kept in the dark about its true abilities, or had downplayed what it could do. The main gun, the FTL cannon, could destroy an entire star system at full charge, which requires twelve hours of downtime between each blast. It could also fire smaller shots, and even multiple shots – it is perfectly possible for it to lock on and target up to two drones at the same time and hit each one with an attack capable of mass scattering planets. The principle behind the cannon was a complicated trans-dimensional technique that involved the use of slipspace coupled with the artefact that powers the weapon. The drones will relay an FTL signal via slipspace to the quantum computer when it is ready to fire. The drone itself will serve as a focal point for targeting: each attack will destroy the drone that has been used to summon it. The signal is a simple one; there appears to be no way to encode more complicated information onto it other than what the computer requires – the precise coordinates to target.

Besides that, the Vajra Shula is at least as well-armed as the other fortresses around it, and has the advantage of being plated with the super-dense alloy that the League has invented only recently. Judging from the specifications, the density and toughness of this alloy will allow it to shrug off most conventional attacks, and even survive a regular black hole cannon shot. Even though it is roughly the same size as the other fortresses, the alloy plating makes it nearly ten times in mass. It should have collapsed under its own weight by now, but somehow the power source also maintains the structural integrity of the fortress. While it is not firing, it can also output the power in the form of a shield that is similar to the one that the Dragon Emperor employed, though I have a feeling that this shield may be weaker.

Ten mega-scale fusion reactors, each the size of a skyscraper, serve as the secondary power-source of the Vajra Shula. The FTL capabilities and general defiance of the law of physics are thanks to the primary power-source, the Vajra artefact. I suppose they were desperate when they made something that would implode when you plucked out its power source. It’s like having a self-destruct sequence for your base without actually having a self-destruct button. Truly, the Council are plumbing the heights of super-villainy. Granted, there are no protocols for removing the thing, but I may be able to figure something out as I go. They will not be able to recover from losing the piece. On the other hand, I could attempt to tamper with the quantum computer in the control room, which appears to be the only thing allowing them to initiate FTL attacks. Yua and I have had experience with operating one before, making it the easier option.

I can reach both the power chamber and the control room rather quickly from this level, and I should continue moving while I still have the advantage.

A. Head to the power chamber and the Vajra artefact.

B. Head to the control room and the quantum computer.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    BC would have been the only choice that allowed you to derive the possibility of both hijacking the Vajra Shula and replicating it on a lesser scale with your mech, albeit from reverse engineering the Vajra technology and figuring out how to imitate its powers using your black hole engines (which already have a bit of human-made trans-dimensional fuckery involved in order to stabilize it). But, eh, at least you guys got a small Master loredump. :lol:

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B, of course. Unless checking up on Rei is an option.

Man, do I regret taking Boshen now: we don't need him for shit and our sis is possibly getting clobbered out there by whoever is in charge of this facility (possibly a council member); don't die, sis.
    :(

^ Top  
  16. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Told you guys it was derp to bring him unless we were going to the Control Room fight whoever was there.

That said, there was some rather relevant information here:

Show Spoiler

Interesting, the original number of Masters is 13. We know one who died: Zeus. What happened to the other?
    We know only of three or four Masters: Zeus (dead), The Master responsible for Earth (Shulgi's lover), Mysterious Monocled Master and of course, His Masterness Himself, Diogenes Camna. What happened to the last one? Died too? Rebelled? Became a Monster of somesort?

IF allowed full access. Didn't the Gieloth block the Masters' access into a world (except through means like the Scepter of Ra and Avatars), which was why the Masters had to thrown space rocks from far away into Earth to make Ean, Shulgi and Naram? Ins't it interesting how we have two persons (Ean and Sekhenun) capable of blocking their full access? In fact, Senya and Rei have tentacles now, both may be able to block their access as well. I wonder if this means that we can fight them on less unjust terms and bring our fleet and bomb into their dimension thanks to them lacking omnipotency to simply crush us into nothingness thanks to the access block.

It also explains why they were so scared of the Dragon they cheated: As long as the Devourer problem was kept to this reality, it was manageable. But inside their dimension, they are vulnerable.

The truth about the ascension is... interesting. Seems designed to prevent a rebelious immortal civilization from bringing a army of immortals and rebelling, just in case (precaution after rebelious Gieloth murdered a Master?). Too bad we didn't get to make our own Vajra-tech, going there with our single mecha to fuck them up would be glorious.

Seems like pulling up Vajra is not a good idea - The place will collapse, assuming Vajra doesn't blow fantastically in Senya's face. I'm kind of afraid that Senya, even with the suit, will end up crushed by the mega-heavy materials.

I think A is the best if you want to try and take Vajra and hope it doesn't blow in our face and the Masters simply don't intercept us and take it back. Senya could try and reverse-engineer it. B is best if you want to sabotage it so that, say, the whole base explodes spetacularly when they fire a shot, or turn the base against Alpha once they arrive and then order the systems to blow and make the whole place unusable as the spot for a Last Stand.

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    B, and Rei should be able to take care of herself. One on one, she could wipe the floor with Senya. Put a little faith in her. She's competent, and she's got the most powerful mech out there at her disposal.

^ Top  
  18. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Told you guys it was derp to bring him unless we were going to the Control Room fight whoever was there.

That said, there was some rather relevant information here:

Show Spoiler

Interesting, the original number of Masters is 13. We know one who died: Zeus. What happened to the other?
    We know only of three or four Masters: Zeus (dead), The Master responsible for Earth (Shulgi's lover), Mysterious Monocled Master and of course, His Masterness Himself, Diogenes Camna. What happened to the last one? Died too? Rebelled? Became a Monster of somesort?

IF allowed full access. Didn't the Gieloth block the Masters' access into a world (except through means like the Scepter of Ra and Avatars), which was why the Masters had to thrown space rocks from far away into Earth to make Ean, Shulgi and Naram? Ins't it interesting how we have two persons (Ean and Sekhenun) capable of blocking their full access? In fact, Senya and Rei have tentacles now, both may be able to block their access as well. I wonder if this means that we can fight them on less unjust terms and bring our fleet and bomb into their dimension thanks to them lacking omnipotency to simply crush us into nothingness thanks to the access block.

It also explains why they were so scared of the Dragon they cheated: As long as the Devourer problem was kept to this reality, it was manageable. But inside their dimension, they are vulnerable.

The truth about the ascension is... interesting. Seems designed to prevent a rebelious immortal civilization from bringing a army of immortals and rebelling, just in case (precaution after rebelious Gieloth murdered a Master?). Too bad we didn't get to make our own Vajra-tech, going there with our single mecha to fuck them up would be glorious.

Seems like pulling up Vajra is not a good idea - The place will collapse, assuming Vajra doesn't blow fantastically in Senya's face. I'm kind of afraid that Senya, even with the suit, will end up crushed by the mega-heavy materials.

I think A is the best if you want to try and take Vajra and hope it doesn't blow in our face and the Masters simply don't intercept us and take it back. Senya could try and reverse-engineer it. B is best if you want to sabotage it so that, say, the whole base explodes spetacularly when they fire a shot, or turn the base against Alpha once they arrive and then order the systems to blow and make the whole place unusable as the spot for a Last Stand.

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    B.

Should have gone for C over A.

^ Top  
  20. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I think I know why Mere has defected:

I can't be entirely sure, but I think that she found this out somehow. A darker interpretation of events might be that she also intends to betray us so that she is the only one to reach the gateway.

As for the choice: fuck, I was busy, otherwise I would have flopped to BC for synergy and max sabotage skillz. It appears to me that since we don't know how the Masters jury-rigged the piece, it's also difficult to know how to remove it safely. I suppose the best safest and most productive thing to do is to fuck up the quantum computer itself and render the facility inoperable.

The one major issue with B that I see is this:

How many quantum computers were the League gifted? We had our hands on one, and the League has another, but who knows if they have more? If we sabotage this thing, it's useless if they can get it up and running again in a week.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    An important piece of knowledge we gained by A though, is that the Masters wield less power in their own home universe than elsewhere, and that there are 13 of them. It gives us some sense of scale and tells us this is winnable.
    Also, their own dimension is the size of a solar system? The sun bomb would've been ludicrous overkill.. +M

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And the Avatar. We have Ean to take care of it, yes, but that means we'll have to find another way of taking care of the Council.

^ Top  
  23. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Yep, this is pretty crucial info.

I'll vote A. If we can't control the Vajra gun, let's see if we can destroy it. All we have to do is somehow remove the artifact and everything will collapse on itself. We just have to hope we can make it out alive first.

^ Top  
  24. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Yeah, Mere's claimed motive that "the League is better off without them" struck me as suspicious at the time, since it can only be truthful if she's in this curious middle ground where she knows about Vajra Shula but doesn't know about the Masters' reset (and also trusts that Senya and the Empire will be merciful in their victory). It seems like the Council probably knows about the reset, given the reference to becoming a voice and participating in "endless games to come."

Speaking of which, isn't it incongruous that all this info is sitting right here? Aside from the fact that we needed a loredump, I mean. Treave told us that all this was locally stored on this particular database. Why would the League do that? It seems like there's a large amount of information here that is (a) privy only to the Council and (b) not very relevant to the operation of a doom cannon.

Also:

So they managed to get both the nigh-on-invulnerable battleship armor and Vajra Shula without him. (And they weren't able to defeat the Empire for five years, even with quantum computers.)

Anyway, Esquilax is right about assessing the risk of them just swapping out the quantum computer we sabotage with another. I'd discourage anyone from a plan that relies on the computer continuing to run for an extended period after we leave the station. The League isn't completely retarded; if they know that Senya "Greatest Hacker in the Universe" Hoshikawa made a lightning raid on their superweapon and then left shortly thereafter, without doing any physical damage to the systems, they're not going to decide, "Hey I bet he didn't do anything bad to our targeting systems, better charge up the biggest shot we can and fire it!"

B for now.

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    This database is probably a copy of what is available outside. Why they'd have a copy here you don't know. And tech progress doesn't happen overnight unless you're some genocidal prodigy with a penchant for destruction, you just happen to pop up when they're finally testing out their new shit (you didn't really think they actually lent three to the Federation because the League didn't know what to do with them, did you?)

Though you guys might be underestimating the Empire ever since that victory. All this superstuff is useless if you can't bring it to bear where it can defeat the enemy. A confrontation isn't always about brute force, who has the biggatons win. You yourself beat the Empire's crusade not purely by force, but by a mixture of trickery, direct assault and negotiation.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.