Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Tigranes

Arcane
Very well. Another stupid question: have we now resolved that Senya was 'invited' by the Masters-Custodians, who are not the same as the immortal Councillors? I've been skimreading everything but mostly on the move and it's not sticking.

On Senya: I wonder about the ramifications of using Senya's destruction ability on the Observer - hard to believe the whole 'everything becomes normal line'. That's a lot of kinks in the line of time and causality. Of course, it's hard to see how agreeing to help save existence fucks us later, but treave putting that int he decision makes me more suspicious. But then, is suspicion sufficient to choose the other option? I'm inclined to go for whatever option helps Senya return to the galactic conflict, without which we cannot control Rei or the frame (if the Council doesn't actually have them in custody). That makes our war very very difficult to win even with Ean decisions, given Ean is only a competent, not superextraordinary, in this theatre of war. But in fact, I don't know if A will let us return. B for now.

On Ean: Everything is fishy with Mere, and surely the recovery of the Jupiter Bomb (which is with Grimrock, right? did I reading-fail again?) is paramount? B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'll find out more about how and what they're planning to do to the Observer (destroying is involved, of course) and how that should theoretically work out, whether on your own terms or theirs. For now it is a 'cooperate or resist' choice for Senya.

As far as you know, according to Mere's story, the Jupiter bomb is still with Grimrock and the Third Fleet. But you can't be certain until you actually see it. Splitting up and losing contact tends to make things uncertain.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm going to flop on Senya's vote and go with the surprise attack!

AC

Why? Because it's Ean's job to kill the Masters while we kill the Great Idea. Dio will be all "Mwahaha! Oh, what's that giant asteroid doing there?" *kaboom*

The Masters are trying to delay our victory. That's why they've sent Mere to distract us. Our only option is an all out assault. We'll win the game quick as can be and while the bomb is detonating, Senya will be safely hidden away from the explosion whilst murdilizing the great idea. happy ending. :)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Expect the two plotlines to run concurrently for now. Choices made for Senya might influence what happens in Ean's route, and vice versa, but don't assume they are happening exactly at the same time since Senya is currently in a 'timeless' place. Things could get weird.

Esquilax

Arcane
Guys, I really think we ought to go with B as Senya. The information that we've been given so far is unreliable, because we've only been told a version of events that would help our captors. We're being manipulated into doing what they want us to do, basically. So this leaves Senya in a very tough dilemma: trust the old man and end up aiding him because we only have his version of events to go on, or betray him by doing something else, which risks inadvertently destroying the multiverse because we lack the sufficient knowledge to really know what the fuck we're doing. Yes, we might end up getting lucky, but my point is that the old man has succeeded in really limiting our options here.

My take on it is this: we came to this place for information, and we ought to see it through. Right now, we are in an awkward position in which we are trapped and the advantage is on the Master's side, but we don't have enough information to turn the tables. A successful application of B, where we can search this place to gain a fuller understanding of events, will allow us to turn this situation to our advantage. Leaving at this point means that we took this huge risk of talking to the Masters and getting captured for the meagre benefit of information that would only benefit the people that captured us; this is insane.

There was a way in here, so there must be a way out.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It looks like we're going to have a tie for the Senya choice. I'd rather not flip a coin for this, so if any of you want to flop, there's still a few more hours.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Why u guyz no wanna trust Dio? Dio is our friend :troll:

Also, since we've firmly established that Diogenes Camna = Darth Sidious, here's a younger version, representative of the Good Chancellor of the Shin'ar Empire:

2093243253079973.jpg

:smug:

Esquilax

Arcane
Why u guyz no wanna trust Dio? Dio is our friend

I know you're kidding, but trying to beat Dio (if this is Dio) won't work when he has all the information and he can guide us into doing what he wants us to do. He's accounted for any potential betrayal by keeping us in the dark, and A is just so wishy-washy. We came here for knowledge, we've got a piece of the puzzle, but it's only a very biased form of knowledge that is more useful to our captor than it is to us. We paid a high price to come here, and I think that if we opted to arrive here, we should see things through and discover as much as possible.

When Dio was foiled by Ean, it was because he unwittingly ended up aiding him after stabbing him with the Sekhenunblade. He (and for that matter, Ean) had no idea that his sword was going to end up helping us destroy Naram-Master and ruin Dio's own plans for apotheosis. It isn't like that here; if it is Dio, he's holding all the cards.

Yes, this will make our war effort much harder, but they have Senya's body regardless.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Why u guyz no wanna trust Dio? Dio is our friend

I know you're kidding, but trying to beat Dio (if this is Dio) won't work when he has all the information and he can guide us into doing what he wants us to do. He's accounted for any potential betrayal by keeping us in the dark, and A is just so wishy-washy. We came here for knowledge, we've got a piece of the puzzle, but it's only a very biased form of knowledge that is more useful to our captor than it is to us. We paid a high price to come here, and I think that if we opted to arrive here, we should see things through and discover as much as possible.

But we won't go on to murder the Great Idea immediately after we agree to help. My understanding is that we'll meet the rest of the Masters first, and learn MOAR stuff from them. Which won't happen if we refuse.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Stalker Encounter

“Pity. I didn't want to have to do this.” The old man digs into the pockets of his coat. When his hand reappears, he is holding some sort of gadget. Too late, I reach out to stop him – he presses the button, and I feel like I have been submerged into a pool of needles.

I black out.

“-up! Wake up!” My cheeks are stinging.

“I’m awake, Kyrie,” I complain. I’m still aching all over, and she’s not helping. Kyrie heaves a sigh of relief. “Thank goodness. I was worried that you were in a coma.” I laugh as I push myself up into a sitting position and begin to observe my surroundings. “I’m not that unprepared.”

I’m in a detainment chamber of some sort. The room is bare, but there is an observation window set into the wall, and a door that is presumably locked.

“What are you planning to do now?” asks Kyrie.

“First things first… how did you get here?”

She curls up besides me and shrugs. “I can barely control where I decide to appear. I’m usually tagging along with you anyway, whether you notice it or not.”

“Can you leave here and get help?”

She shakes her head. “Sorry. There’s something off about this place. My form has been stable for the past… hour or so, I think, and I can’t get myself to dematerialize. You were out for quite some time.”

“But you aren’t in an actual physical form?”

“It’s the usual state I’m in when I need to discipline you,” she grins. This means that other people might not be able to see her, even though she can interact with me. “It’s a bit different for me,” I say. “I wasn’t in a physical form before I came here, but now…” I look at my hands. No powers. No tentacles. It is not my body. The old man needed to use a gadget to disable this body. This implied that their powers – or at least, his – were limited to a certain extent when it came to manipulating me, at least while I am here. They did not kill me outright when I refused to cooperate; either they knew of the possible reset, which would free me from their grasp, or they could not, or would not, planning on using me again. Either way, that doesn’t really change matters.

It’s likely that when they pulled my consciousness through the door, they captured and stored it in this vessel. The form is identical to my real body, so my consciousness would naturally gravitate towards it, similar to how Kyrie’s doppleganger had begun to turn into a vessel for her. This, then, is a physical body that I am inhabiting. They have probably built in failsafes, like the gadget the old man used, but are unable to directly dominate my mind. Theoretically, if I killed this body now I should be able to free my consciousness and allow it to escape back to my real body, but then again it might not happen, or it might trigger a reset on the spot. It is a rather risky option, but I keep it in mind.

“For a start, let’s try to get out of this room.” I stand up and walk towards the only door in the vicinity. Even in this strange world, the basics of circuitry seem to be the same. I pry open the panel and begin examining it. Then, I pull at a wire.

It slides open smoothly, with no hint of a protest.

“Nice job, you!” smiles Kyrie.

“Well, the technology is similar to our own, though a bit more primitive. I would have expected this place to be a lot more advanced, though.” I say. I’m more surprised that they haven’t posted any guards. It seems to imply that the Custodians don’t have any minions prowling the streets, and that they could be prioritizing something else over watching me personally.

I don’t think that they would leave me unguarded, however.

The detention facility proves to be rather uninteresting. I collect some pamphlets on my way out, attempting to decipher the text. There seem to be some vague similarities between the symbols. I begin matching the words to objects. If Yua was here she could probably hack out a translation in minutes, if not seconds, but she’s not. I’ll have to rely on myself.

We walk out onto the streets – it looks like we are in a city. Judging from what I can see, this is the same city where I appeared. I look around the streets again. They are empty, though as I walk I sometimes hear fragments of words spoken in an alien language. These are probably the echoes that the old man spoke of. Soon enough, we come across a booth. There are maps folded up neatly, arranged in rows, and numerous brochures that I think are promoting the city. A tourist booth? I grab a map and unfold it. The city is laid out before me, with important – at least, I assume they are important – locations marked out in red. I think I’ve managed to obtain a rudimentary grasp of the script they use in this world; I should be able to decipher the more basic portions of the map now. My search turns up a couple of interesting places:

There’s a building with the acronym I.A.E. The alphabet used is not entirely dissimilar to the one in my world, and I found it with little difficulty.

There is also a library nearby. It should have computers that I can play around with – that could be useful.

Finally, if I want to throw myself off a building in style, the tallest structure in the city is just one block away.

Which of the three locations interests me the most?

A. I.A.E Building

B. Library

C. Tallest structure in the city.

I fold the map back up and slowly turn my head just a little so that I can peer behind me. As I expected; we are not alone in the city. The old man had set a guard on us. There was a strange woman standing silently, watching us from an alleyway. She had ludicrously large sunglasses over her eyes and a long trenchcoat that covered her from neck to toe. It wouldn’t be a very inconspicuous outfit, even if the streets were flooded with people.

“I see her too,” whispers Kyrie.

The woman doesn’t move. “Wave at her,” I tell Kyrie quietly. She arches an eyebrow at me before doing what I say, waving furiously. The woman doesn’t react, but I can’t tell whether it is because she is being stubbornly stoic, or if she doesn’t see Kyrie. I begin to walk away.

“She’s still following us, but at a distance,” says Kyrie, acting as my eyes to keep a lookout.

What should I do? If they are going about matters in such a roundabout, obvious way, I rather suspect that they want to see how I will react. The same limits to their powers that I conjectured earlier could mean that they have no choice but to observe me in person. Then again, they could be tricking me. It's rather annoying, to say the least...

A. Ignore her and move to one of the three locations that I had identified from the map. If she wants to follow me, she is free to do so. Her presence may be a trick to make me panic.

B. Attempt to shake her off and head to one of the three locations. I don’t like being tailed, and she might mean me harm.

C. Confront the stalker. The easiest way to find out what she wants and who she is, is to talk to her. I’ll do just that.

Alright. Two days for this choice.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
BC

Library is a good way to get info. I.A.E is probably guarded and jumping off a building would go against two previous choices. As for the stalker, I believe she is an echo much like Kyrie but we might get some info from her.

Esquilax

Arcane
Some thoughts:

I’m more surprised that they haven’t posted any guards. It seems to imply that the Custodians don’t have any minions prowling the streets, and that they could be prioritizing something else over watching me personally.

As TOME said, whatever they're prioritizing would most likely be in the I.A.E. building. The library might contain information relevant to us, but utilizing computers and making sense of the bizarre script here would require a lot of time without Yua - if we want to go to the library, we'd probably need to buy ourselves some time first by shaking off the person following us for a little while.

As for our stalker, I think she's one of the Masters. It would make sense to have one of them following us at least. If not a Master, what could she be?

“Oh, I assume they are out and about. You might meet them, you might not. That is not important. And no, they are not my flunkies, Senya. They are my colleagues.”

Confronting our stalker like this likely won't get us any info, but if we ignore her for now, then bluff her into thinking we're actually going to jump off the skyscraper...

CA

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm still voting for B for Ean, but I'm starting to come around to the idea of a surprise attack on Carneus Beta with Ean:

Beta is a problem – its commander is wily and a match for Adrahasis in space. The next time you met, you would have to try some more unorthodox tactics; at this rate, you would be bled to death before you reached the Carneus systems.

I think that jumping a wormhole into Carneus Beta for a surprise attack would qualify as "unorthodox", to say the least. They would of course never expect such a bold - well, quite frankly, insane - move. treave, considering that our black hole generator powered ships would become useless if we open up a wormhole, how does Ean intend to do damage to the enemy fortresses without them? There are too many to simply hijack, so how are we going to actually hurt the fucking things?

Also, Ean has had Anbar-Shi for about 4,000 years now - has its nature changed in any way? When we first forged it, it was implied that it might become sentient in the future, so does it have a "personality" of some sort or a will of its own?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Good old fashioned firepower. I'll make it clear that any details on the fortifications at Carneus Beta is metaknowledge for Ean's character. He doesn't know that.

As for Anbar-Shi, he and the sword are essentially one and the same.

Baltika9

Arcane
Going for Ean B.

I'd rather we troll the League by having Senya wake up behind enemy lines, free Rei, take back Anhur-Shu and go on a rampage.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Runikylos lived out his natural life and passed away in peace. As for multi-Shulgi, I had a rather nice troll scene thought up where all the old fucks would be gathered in front of Senya and then they'd merge together to reveal Shulgi in all his full glory, snatching victory away from Senya at the last minute, but I junked it. Just too weird. :lol:

But yes, a sufficiently powerful immortal can be more than one person if he or she figures out the (rather complex and difficult) trick... that's the message you can take away from this little tidbit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom