Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This smells like bullshit. Well, if they need someone who is truly human to strike at the Great Idea, why the fuck doesn't this guy do it? After all, he's human like us, so why would he need us?

Actually, I don't think he's lying about that part. In fact, he seems to be a very convincing, persuasive individual. Also, he seems very old, he's probably been around the Great Idea for a long, long time. Kinda reminds me of someone:

Okay, this last bit was metagaming, but his story is still inconsistent. The problem is that he's got us by the balls right now. We agree to ally with him, and we become a pawn in allowing the Masters to overtake the Great Idea, and tricking them will be extremely difficult in our position. If we refuse to play ball, we lose valuable months off the war effort and begin to suffer.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Might as well do as Diogenes Camna asks. It must end well, right?

A

^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Also,

[​IMG]

:smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    So, taking the story at face value for a moment...

This old man isn't one of the thirteen Masters, yet calls them his colleagues, and is human just like Senya? He's the winner of a previous "game", isn't he? The representative of a previous civilization that reached the center of their universe and got their wish. But that doesn't fit with how he describes the sandbox as something that he helped them start. Or perhaps they started playing around with creating universes, this guy somehow managed to find them on his own, and then gave them the idea of doing it in a more systematic basis.

I'm curious about how the Masters became "shadows of their former selves". Why were they saved because they were "physically closest"? Ah, probably because the Great Idea couldn't suspend time around itself, because it needed to keep functioning normally?

What happens after we kill the Great Idea? Do we become the new, better Great Idea, who can restore the Masters' Universe and see the Unseen? What happens at the moment the Great Idea stops observing? Won't that turn everything into goo?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Oh boy... looks like we just met THE BIG BAD.

I think the cataclysm which doomed the Masters' previous civilization was something like the Ghostapocalypse. They made IAE to stop it but it only saved themselves.

I wonder about the Council and the Masters... Cooper may have been just two guys with the same name. Or The Masters ARE THE COUNCIL... IN THE FUTURE! Perhaps we fail and they turn on to making IAE to escape the Ghostapocalypse.

Or maybe, when the Masters/Custodians remade the universe, they remade a universe with copies of themselves, so the Council ARE the Masters... but they are the Masters as immortals not full Masters.

I'm... unsure. On one hand, we could short-circuit this guy and his colleagues and become the Observer. On the other hand... do we really want to trust Diogenes Camna? Yes, it is him. Who else it would be?

Sigh, its a pity we don't have Shulgi on our side anymore. He would know what do to, and he would sneer at them all the while.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Clearly, this Master hasn't been paying much attention to our previous choices...

As to the choice, I'll keep it simple for you bros:

DON'T. TRUST. DIO.
    B

edit: unless we can lie. @treave, can we lie or change our mind later?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yeah. You can still flop at the last minute and throw them all for a loop, though whether that will succeed or not is up in the air. As for murderizing the Observer and its aftermath, I forgot to throw in the old man saying that without it, reality would just snap back to its normal state, which doesn't require a 'god' to exist. Basically, he says it's consequence-free.

^ Top  
  8. Bullshit. Assuming what he says is true, the Observer saved the masters by stopping time. That's why there is only stagnation now. If we restore the flow of time, then whatever disaster was about to happen will happen. Besides, I rather think a mind like Dio's is going to be plotting to BECOME god rather than simply destroy him.
    In other words, Dio has been bullshitting/manipulating these guys for eons. :roll: The Master of the "Masters".

B is still my choice. FIRST we kill the Masters. THEN we kill the Observer. That has been my goal since first finding out about the Great Idea and I will not vary from it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Since we're going to kill the Observer anyway, might as well choose A? (Yes, that's my vote.) Agreeing doesn't mean we're trusting him.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    ^ Top  
  10. FYI, if we kill the Observer, then doesn't it stand to reason we'll be killing ourselves - or at the very least, the source of our power? If we do that, how exactly are we going to stop Dio from becoming the new observer and taking over the multi-verse or whatever?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Lambchop has me convinced.
    B.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait, if Senya is the Observer's terminal and said Observer can perceive through Senya, then maybe with our presence, this little garden of theirs isn't a safe haven anymore?

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Fuck, we're really at a tough crossroads here, but I don't think we're anywhere near fucked.
    One the one hand, if we agree with Dio's plan, we get to go back and continue with our invasion plan, treave did say all is not yet lost. And now that we have intel on their superweapon, and their master manipulator faced the wrath of Windows Task Manager, we'll have a good chance.
    Hell, maybe siding with Dickogenes Cuntda will give the Masters a reason to back us up in the war. Like weakening the Council through their Avatard, for instance.

On the other, if we stay in their Garden, I wonder how big of a (proverbial?) dump we can take on the place. Perhaps we can find a way to let the zombies in and kill off the Masters. Or perhaps we can gather a lot of secrets and dirty tricks around the place, find a way to fuck up the League's tech. After all, nothing has progressed through the endless cycles and all their brethren that got "saved" by the IAE are now floating bits and pieces of information. And if there's anything Senya understands well, it's information.

Hmm, very interesting decision indeed. I guess "tea and chess" isn't happening?

^ Top  
  14. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    First thing: Diogenes Camna is awesome. I think it is a pity Chapter Eight ended so fast, because we would've seen more of him, and Ean having adventures in a wacky gunpowder world with fantasy monsters coming out of woodwork while Ean's sucessors went at war and the Naram/Master tried to bring the end of the world and Dio sought to become a god himself. Dio somehow managing to RESIST IAE saying for millions of years that Dio is meaningless and little is awesome. I think Dio is officially immune to SAN Checks, and could win a staring context with Hastur, who would then fail ITZ sanity check and kill itself.

Let me accumulate some facts:

The Renegade Master (Zeus?) was doing just this when Ean stopped it.

2. Dio reotroactively became the leader of The Masters after having a epic, SAN checking existential debate with IAE.

3. The Spheres were retroactively destroyed by Dio and the Masters. Strangely enough, there is no time paradox here.

Let us see a recap of all that has happened thus far:

1. The Masters/Custodians' civilization is DOOMED.
    2. They make IAE in a effort to stop TOTAL ITZ.
    3. They fail: ITZ happens, everyone but the 13 Masters die, and they are but shadows. They realize IAE is flawed and it produces stagnation.
    4. The Masters try to kill IAE but can't enter anymore (because it has auto-preservation in mind).
    5. Dio (retroactively) shows up and sides with the Masters.
    ???. Dio and the Masters retroactively nuke the Spheres. One wonders why a Time Paradox didn't happen due to Ean's interaction with them.
    6. The Great Game is set up by the Masters. Constant universes being made and rebooted when the winning civilization arrives at the Core of the Galaxy.
    ???. Gieloth show up/are created by the Masters and the Immortals are made to be pest-control and guide the mortals. Gieloth find out about the Devourer and the Spheres.
    7. Civilization forms into our Earth. The Gieloth spores comes from the stars and start taking over civilizations, starting with China, the mesoamericans and Kemet/Egypt.
    8. The CYOA starts. Ean, Shulgi and Naram enter the game.
    9. Ean goes on his first journey, defeats Shulgi, kills Sargon, becomes King, finds out about the Gieloth, invades Egypt, gets mind-raped fighting Panrath. Naram bolts off.
    10. Ean is dead, meanwhile Shulgi is up to his usual antics behind the scenes, Egypt falls into chaos, Marduk takes over Mesopotamia.
    11. A light rift develops between two factions of the Gieloth. Marduk's intends to keep Gieloth old-school: Pwn the immortals, increase numbers and then destroy the Earth to escape through the Tree to continue fighting the Masters and their dogs. Sekhenum and Edem plan to make dimensional gateways.
    12. Ean returns, goes to Egypt, fights Sekhenum and lets her live, meets Naram, breaks the scepter of Ra (therefore stopping Naram from calling another immortal into the fight), gets involved in politics, Astarth ends up Pharaoh. Ean goes on a Gieloth-killing spree. Immortals and Gieloth in China enter a truce. (Why?)
    13. Marduk tries to conquer Egypt, is defeated when Ean wins with a Earthquake. Astarth goes derp and tries to invade, fails and ends up a broken man. Ean is pretty much powerless for a hundred years.
    14. Ean meets Sekhenun, who wants to help him recover his old powers. Ean goes to Crete, gets killed by Anti-Bro Theseus.
    15. Marduk goes off to Greece in order to defeat the immortals and Zeus. Marduk has a Devourer fragment, Zeus has two pieces of Vajra.
    16. Ean rises for the third time, without his voices. Gets out of Crete, meets Sekh again, conspires with her and Edem to kill Marduk's minions.
    17. Ean takes over Mesopotamia, defeats Ares near Egypt, goes to Greece fight Marduk AND Zeus. Ean and Edem fight Zeus and Marduk, Olympus blows into a dimensional rift, Zeus and Marduk are sent through the dimensions; Zeus becomes the Renegade Master, Marduk becomes the Devourer and is sent with the two Vajra pieces somewhere to another planet, where he takes over the immortals there and starts the Empire.
    18. The rift starts spewing Miasma. Ean unifies Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia and the Levant to fight the Terasphagos: Rise of the first Shinar Empire.
    ??? Shulgi knows a Master and drawns power from her until he is cut. (by the Gieloth tree?)
    19. Shulgi takes over Skane. Naram disappears. The Concordat start building their tree.
    20. Ean jumps into the rift to play Sphere Diplomacy derp.
    21. Sekhenun opens up the portal, the Master comes out, takes Naram and kills Edem (and some others) and makes Sekh go into Anbar-Shi. Naram/Master goes north and pwns Shulgi and then takes over the Shinar imperial family.
    22. Ean returns. Naram/Master tinkers some with the body, grows bored, Watchers make the Sucessors. Athena is then assigned to watch over Ean.
    23. Dio-saga starts. World starts going to hell in a handbasket from crappy weather (Great Tree fucking shit up) and Ean sucessors slowly showing up. Dio has a talk with Shulgi, goes around chasing the Madman around Skane, takes Anbar-Shi from Ban and becomes a hero.
    24. Ean awakens for the fourth time. ITZ COMING. Ean eats the Tree, saves world, transcends with Sekh and becomes flowers. Dio floats forever until finding IAE. Joins the Masters.
    25. Things return mostly to normal, Shulgi starts masterminding the world from the shadows, directing it and sometimes giving some knowlodge due to impatience. Shulgi also meets the Council member we just wiped from existance. Probably sneered at him a lot.

Did Treave ever tell us the origin of the Gieloth? I always got the impression they were a prototype of the immortals that rebelled against the Masters, essentially a genetically engineered symbiote they stick into people and send orders, but they eventually rebelled, survived the reboots (probably through interdimensional shenanigans) and became "a pest". Essentially organic quantum computers that give super-powers, nano-machines on the cheap. The Masters reacted by attacking their genes, causing the hunger, then making the immortals, which are more controllable: They can remote-control, enter as avatars and furtively control through the voices.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Tribulations of the Grand Marshal

Oran Kappa System. 27.09.4033

Sector Armadas Beta and Gamma begin to break off and retreat – this is the third clash in as many weeks. “Hold off on pursuit,” you order. “Harass the enemy fleet with focused barrages but do not move from your position.” In the first engagement, a considerable portion of the Imperial Legions and the Federation Fifth Fleet had eagerly surged forward to chase down their fleeing foes. It did not end well. It took another engagement for you and Adrahasis to have the measure of your foes; the third and just-concluded battle appeared to go rather decisively for your forces.

You were now roughly seven weeks away from your starting point of Tejat A. Taking Bainur had been difficult – you had been surprised by the presence of three League fortresses guarding the system. The initial battle had cost nearly ten percent of the fleet that had come along with you. There had been another problem too: in the aftermath, while the fleet was undertaking repairs at Bainur, Admiral Kadowaki of the Second gathered all of the ships under him and made a wormhole jump. You do not know where he went, but Sekhenun seems certain he has betrayed you.

“How many casualties?”

Adrahasis gives me the report, his face full of concern. “Our force strength is currently at 70% of when we started. The constant battle is taking its toll on the ships. The Federation vessels, in particular, aren’t made to go into battle so many times without servicing. On the bright side, Beta is down to 65%, while Gamma’s fighting force is now 43%.”

Beta is a problem – its commander is wily and a match for Adrahasis in space. The next time you met, you would have to try some more unorthodox tactics; at this rate, you would be bled to death before you reached the Carneus systems. The missing detachment that had gone along with Senya is sorely missed; you really could do with more firepower. Furthermore, they have the Jupiter bomb with them; this is your trump card against the Masters, and if it has gone missing…

A bleeping noise signals an incoming transmission – several.

Sekhenun raises her eyebrows as she reads the signals, and then turns to you with a glance that says, ‘you handle this one.’

Oh, bother.

The first to arrive is an immortal that had come onboard a Federation ship that identified itself as being from the Federation Second Fleet. A quick check of the database verifies their identity. The immortal herself is a rather striking lady, though clearly young and inexperienced. She bows before you as you hold court on the bridge of the flagship.

“Grand Marshal Ean,” she begins smoothly. “I am Mere Tarliss, here from the detachment under the command of Hoshikawa Senya. Before we begin, I should clarify my position: I am a defector from the League. Now, I have been sent to convey a message from Admiral Grimrock that we should rendezvous in Celtais system, three days away from here. Things have not been going well. We discovered the existence of an enemy superweapon more than six weeks ago, in Gelmark. Hoshikawa attempted a solo mission in his mech to destroy it, but he is lost. However, as it has not been deployed since then, I would assume he succeeded somehow.”

“Lost? What do you mean?”

“Well, we don’t know. At best he is captured, at worst…” She looks at you, as if challenging me to finish the sentence. The immortal appears to be telling the truth, but there is a veil around the deeper parts of her mind that you cannot penetrate. She appears to be stronger than she looks. You revise my opinion of the immortal.

Sekhenun speaks up. “Can’t they come to us?”

“They will arrive in Celtais exactly three days from now,” shrugs Mere. “It is the quickest way to meet up, unless you plan to stay in this system for another six days. If he does not see you at Celtais, their orders were to press directly ahead to Carneus Beta via the Beltais system, assuming that you are lost.”

The next to arrive is a message from the Star League’s ruling Council. It simply said that they had the pilots of the CF Anhur-Shu in their custody and would like to enter negotiations for their safe return, as well as for the resolution of this conflict. The place of negotiation, where the hostages would be returned, is Oran Iota, the system further up from where you are now. It would be a day’s travel via the slipspace drive.

“It’s probably a trap,” says Sekhenun.

“Everything’s a trap to you,” you reply.

“Of course. After you trapped me into helping you out of your little predicament against the godling, I’ve grown rather suspicious.” she laughs.

“You were always suspicious. How many times have you tricked me into aiding your cause anyway?” you retort lightly.

Adrahasis coughs. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but if we may proceed with deciding what to do next…”

The jump from Celtais to Beltais would take five days, and then another seven to get to Carneus Beta. From Oran Kappa, it would take a day to get to Oran Iota, then another eight days to reach Carneus Beta.

A. You will meet the Council for their proposed negotiations.
    1. You send most of the fleet to Celtais in order to rendezvous with Admiral Grimrock.
    2. You have most of the fleet come with you to Oran Iota as backup.

B. You will not meet the Council for their proposed negotiations. You will head to Celtais, rendezvous with Admiral Grimrock and strike at Carneus Beta from there.

C. If you are willing to scuttle all of the Federation ships at your disposal, you can perform a wormhole jump right into Carneus Beta. This will render all remaining black hole generator-powered ships useless, but you can bring what is left of your fleet directly into a surprise attack on the last League stronghold.

You also have two days for this choice. Of course, the choice for the previous update isn't closed yet, we still have a day left. :troll:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  16. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Yup. Totally Shulgi.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Mere isn't Shulgi. :lol:

^ Top  
  18. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, I only said that so that the discussion would focus on each choice's legitimate merits instead of everyone going "Mere is Shulgi she's totes our bro, let's follow her." :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    But Shulgi is Mere. It would look like this : D
    :pete:

Senya A
    Grand Marshal B

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'll use this post as a tally for the votes so far:

TOME - A , A2
    Storyfag - A , B
    Lambchop19 - A , C
    Anabanana - B , ?
    Kipeci - B , C
    Jester - A , B
    Esquilax - B , B
    Azira - B , B
    The Brazilian Slaughter - B , B
    ScubaV - A , B
    Tigranes - B , B
    Baltika9 - B , ?

Expect the two plotlines to run concurrently for now. Choices made for Senya might influence what happens in Ean's route, and vice versa, but don't assume they are happening exactly at the same time since Senya is currently in a 'timeless' place. Things could get weird.

^ Top  
  22. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Of course, there's also the Avatar running around and stirring shit up for both us and the League. Would it take on the appearence of Mere, I wonder?

B for Ean's choice (woohoo, we're playing Ean again!). I wonder what has happened to Senya's strikeforce, that Grimrock decided to use a defector as his envoy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This isn't even the most suspicious part:

Kadowaki took all of his ships and made a wormhole jump, now we have a Second Fleet ship arriving with someone claiming to be Mere Tarliss. How the fuck did this happen? Even if Kadowaki didn't betray us for the League, this would be suspicious, because Grimrock doesn't even have any Second Fleet ships with him. As for the negotiations themselves, treave, what's in it for them? Do we have any idea on what they might want in return? Do they have the mech too, or just the pilots?

I doubt this is Shulgi; why would Shulgi remain so secretive towards Ean? They are on pretty good terms and secrecy didn't exactly work so well before. It's possible that the Mere that Ean has met is an entirely different person than the Mere that Senya has met - this one could be a Council member in disguise, for all we know:

This was a leading statement. The Council knows that Senya can't die, so what's the worst thing that can happen to him? Also, Senya's force is much smaller than ours and the mech isn't around, why would someone order them to press ahead to Carneus Beta? There are so many red flags in this story, it's not even funny. Voting for B.

Also, treave, let's say we wait a few more days to make a wormhole jump? Would the generators have enough power to bring some Federation ships in tow? This sounds crazy, but I'm a little tempted to "agree" to the negotiations, then make a jump in three days with some of our Federation ships. Would this be possible? Just throwing the suggestion out there.

Voting B for Senya

^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Dio is an asshole. Human perhaps, but an asshole.

B
    B

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If they have the mech, you can probably assume they have the pilots as well. Since they mentioned pilots, they clearly know it is piloted by two people. So the Council has likely captured Rei and Senya. I'm not sure if I mentioned whether they know he can't die, however. I'm pretty sure they don't have a reason to know that, unless someone higher up told them.

A possible explanation for Mere's arrival on a Second Fleet ship is that Kadowaki bumped into Grimrock.

The negotiation takes place a day later at Oran Iota, but why would you want to go to so much trouble to bring Federation ships from the 3rd and 6th (maybe 2nd?) when you already have 1st, 4th and 5th with you? Is there something else you are planning? They're probably looking at trying to convince you to let them reach the gateway in return for benefits. On one hand, it could be a trap. On the other, it's a good chance for Ean to defeat them face-to-face.

Oh, yeah. Remember back during the Egypt chapter, when we all thought the Pharaoh's adviser was Shulgi, and decided he was out to get us, but then followed the Pharaoh's plan (which he made after conferring with his advisers) anyway?

:lol:

I'm not saying that it is the same situation, just pointing out that the logic being used is starting to look awfully familiar. If you don't trust Mere, following the instructions in her message and going where she wants you to go might not be the smartest thing to do.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.