Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yes, you are correct. Retreat is always an option. Whether it is the right option, however, depends on the time.

^ Top  
  2. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    C

^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I think you're right. After having had time to think about it, I think that Kharun, while bold, is the type of person we want watching our back. More than that, I am pretty sure that he is very reliable and that should he get captured, he will be willing to kill himself if captured by the enemy. If it's just the two of us, maintaining secrecy is still very much possible. I have to admit I'm somewhat interested in getting to know the character.

Maybe this is a hunch, but I think that Kharun's desire to prove himself might take over in battle if we don't place some trust in him right now. He's in charge of 300 very good men and he might take our refusal to bring him along as a lack of faith in his abilities. I'm worried that it might cause him to overcompensate during the battle.

I'm flopping my original post.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It isn't just the two of you, there's another fifteen men of his. But if everyone is keen, it can be arranged. Just note whether your vote for B depends on it being a two-man mission, and I'll have a look through at the end of the day.

^ Top  
  5. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    If we can propose what we want then I have a better job for Kharun and his men. Hide them between the enemy and the fortress, and on our exposed flak while we are scouting. That way they'll be in position to SURPRISE! any scouts the other side would send against us. Overconfident or not, they'd be idiots if they don't. I doubt any Gieloth would go on such a dangerous mission, so it will probably be just normal humans.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If you guys can come to a consensus, I'll work it in, though this may be overkill for something as simple as a scouting choice. You do have patrols on the walls, and the gates are closed. They can scout, but they'd only see that the fortress is manned and barred. There's little they can report. On the other hand, your scouting can be more extensive because they have no walls, only tents.

Do let me know if you want to kill the scouts that the enemy send.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    This

^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    If you guys are relying on them being ignorant of our force size, killing their scouts might make them suspicious that something is up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    D. Our men getting captured and spilling the beans or the Gieloth detecting us isn't worth the intel. Will D give us time to have a good feast with the men or somesuch?

^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B

^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Edit: Flip,

B though I'm very tempted towards D

^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    I was thinking more to not let them discover that the front of the fortress is trapped to hell and back. Not to mention a big hole in our back wall. If it takes killing their scouts to prevent them from knowing this, then so be it.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    That's where a more needlessly cruel man would capture them alive, then tie them to some stakes behind the pitfalls for their mates to discover tomorrow. ;)

^ Top  
  14. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Better suspicious that something is up then knowing exactly what is going on.

^ Top  
  15. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I'm willing to vote for this option!

^ Top  
  16. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Zero Credibility: It's nighttime right now, visibility is low and I doubt that any scouts would wander that close to the fortress. While they may be expecting to steamroll through the place tomorrow, I still doubt any of the scouts would be dumb enough to get so close for fear of being hit with arrows. They are expecting this campaign to go smoothly, they aren't going to be doing anything more than a cursory sweep of the area. Let them be lazy.

As far as B, I'm not sure how we'd benefit from bringing ourselves and 15 men. I could see a potentially risky and daring raid/assassination being performed with a suitably ballsy group of bros, though. Go from tent to tent slitting the throats of the sleeping Babylonians before the battle begins, that's true psychological warfare. But that would probably be biting off way more than we can chew. Still, I think infiltration into the area shouldn't be too hard - it's nighttime, there are tents everywhere, and catching a stray guard shouldn't be a problem.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    15 men divided into a few groups can cover a bit more ground. A camp with 8000 men is going to be pretty big, and you don't want to spend too much time around it. This scouting mission is more of trying to gauge the enemy's composition, checking them out from a relatively safe distance, confirming numbers, equipment, trying to spot any irregularities or oddities etc, not going right inside their tents and riffling parchment for information. You can choose whether or not to attempt actual infiltration though once you're there... if you go along, of course.

^ Top  
  18. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    C

^ Top  
  19. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Oh, I'm all for letting them be lazy, but what if they won't cooperate? If possible, I propose we hide our guards right on the edge of our trap field and on any position where somebody might spot the hole in our defences. That way we get both - if they are lazy they won't come close and nothing will happen, and if they are not and they discover one or the other they won't be coming back to tell about it. Also, if they are not as lazy as we think we definitely should capture some of their scouts for interrogation. We are a telepath after all.

^ Top  
  20. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I think that sneaking in and getting a ballpark estimate of numbers, equipment and maybe a few hints as to what the Gieloth leading the army are capable of should be about all that we should expect from this little excursion. If Ean had light manipulation abilities, an assassination would be a more distinct possibility (even then it's a stretch), but we've gotta be realistic here. Baiting a Gieloth in through the northern wall after we've unleashed our trap seems like the most reliable plan we've got at the moment for taking out one of these things out relatively easily. In one-on-one combat with the Honorblade at our side, Ean will fare pretty well against them.

It looks like C is going to make it, and I think that as long as we don't make a fuss we can use our telepathic abilities to make an estimate of how many psychic presences there are in the camp. That still won't give us much of a clue about logistics, equipment and potential battle plans for tomorrow however, but at least it's something.

^ Top  
  22. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    If you want to be slightly braver, we can attempt a long-range assassination by frying the Gieloth's mind, we have learnt how to protect ourselves from incoming backlash.

B

^ Top  
  23. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We haven't developed our telepathy enough for that, if I remember correctly. It works by proximity, and to actually read/scramble thoughts, we need to touch the subject. We needed to do that with Astarth, and he is a normal human. We'll not be able to remotely fry any Gieloth anytime soon. If we work on "upgrading" that side of our power though, we might in the future.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Treavebro, if we use our Honourblade, will we get leveling penalties?

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No. You'll get a chance to really unleash it once the battle begins.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.