Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll point out that our character is on record as saying:

That’s right. He was never going to agree so easily. You saw it coming a mile away. “So it comes down to this, does it? I will not attack my comrades-“

"NO, I DO NOT REQUIRE YOU TO MASSACRE YOUR FORMER ALLIES..."

He might betray the whole world for pussy, but killing his war buddies was a line the DDC wouldn't have crossed. Whether that's due to laziness, cowardice, or genuine feelings on his part is another matter though. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
yeah,so if someone kills the girl you were trying to score friend and leaves you for dead, you're cool with it. let bygones be bygones. BS.
If they did it in response to us dicking them over, maybe.

Did Kyle try to kill us because he was convinced we betrayed their cause? Yes.
Was Kyle correct in his assumption? Yes.

That's all there is to it. :M

I might dick over quite a few people in this LP, and it would be a major bother to kill them all if they find the balls to fight back.

The girl is probably the only thing that makes Kyle cross the asshole line, but not to the point that I will run naked to the capital to settle the score. That she is dead partly because of our actions curbs that indignation quite a bit.

He might betray the whole world for pussy, but killing his war buddies was a line the DDC wouldn't have crossed. Whether that's due to laziness, cowardice, or genuine feelings on his part is another matter though. :M
Not personally, no, but what did he think would happen if the Demon Lord triumphs and they refuse to submit?

Baltika9

Arcane
Not to worry, Lambchop, I'm sure Kyle will impale us on his sword one more time if we ask him nicely.
The girl is probably the only thing that makes Kyle cross the asshole line, but not to the point that I will run naked to the capital to settle the score.
Note that 1A doesn't state that we will be going to the capital right now, just that our character is pretty pissed off at what happened and wants revenge, righteous or not.
Nobody else wants to give the Angel of Retribution a go? If nothing else, it will be interesting to see the dark side of the justice we always play around with, which would be very interesting story-wise. Besides, Archangel Michael is the most interesting of the angels anyway.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not personally, no, but what did he think would happen if the Demon Lord triumphs and they refuse to submit?

Any battle between the Hero and the Demon Lord, blessing or no blessing, would be a toss-up for both sides. The risks are high. The Demon Lord wouldn't give up victory and provoke the Hero into turning coat a second time over the lives of six people. He's perfectly willing to merely imprison them until they can come around.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

yeah,so if someone kills the girl you were trying to score friend and leaves you for dead, you're cool with it. let bygones be bygones. BS.
If they did it in response to us dicking them over, maybe.

Did Kyle try to kill us because he was convinced we betrayed their cause? Yes.
Was Kyle correct in his assumption? Yes.

That's all there is to it. :M
That's where you aren't getting it. He doesn't know we did it. Theseus is as Theseus does. Whether we had betrayed him or not, he would have tried to kill us. Because he is a dick. A "shoot you in the eye", "stab you in the heart because he doesn't want to be late for a date" DICK. It's what he does. It's all he does.
The girl is probably the only thing that makes Kyle cross the asshole line
Seriously? Murdering your friend just because she doesn't like you romantically is not crossing the asshole line. It's taking a fucking jet airplane over it and pissing on the guy who drew the asshole line's grave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This whole thing is going to end with us ignoring Theseus long enough because of hippy concepts like love, peace and the universal brotherhood of man that he has another chance to Theseus us once again. And he will. Because that's what he does. And we'll fall for it, because if you believe hard enough in the power of friendship, you can ignore the blood of innocents soaking the ground and the dagger point at your back.

Nevill

Arcane
The Demon Lord wouldn't give up victory and provoke the Hero into turning coat a second time over the lives of six people. He's perfectly willing to merely imprison them until they can come around.
Well, I'll take your word for it that he could take someone alive even if they didn't want to surrender.

Not to worry, Lambchop, I'm sure Kyle will impale us on his sword one more time if we ask him nicely.
Or his spear if we ask reeeal nice. :oops:

Note that 1A doesn't state that we will be going to the capital right now
That was a jab at you, bro. *sigh* I must be getting worse at this.

Any battle between the Hero and the Demon Lord, blessing or no blessing, would be a toss-up for both sides.
which is why the so-called goddesses made the necklace as a little insurance policy. If the battle goes poorly, nuke the site from orbit using the necklace, it's the only way to be sure.

Kipeci

Arcane
This whole thing is going to end with us ignoring Theseus long enough because of hippy concepts like love, peace and the universal brotherhood of man that he has another chance to Theseus us once again. And he will. Because that's what he does. And we'll fall for it, because if you believe hard enough in the power of friendship, you can ignore the blood of innocents soaking the ground and the dagger point at your back.
I guess that's one way to look at it, but I think that we just shouldn't fixate on it. Look to zhang manxing; that guy was an outrageous asshole, but attempting to get revenge on him always lead to some sort of great trouble, enveloping us in another layer of his dicketry which would make us all the madder when we came across him to fail the next time... I mean, yes, we succeeded in making his life very unpleasant, but I don't really think it was worth it compared to all of what we lost in seeking out punishment for him.

Kayerts

Arcane
I kinda dig how we're arguing around the periphery of a debate about the contrasting merits of due process as a cultural value in the Seven Kingdoms vs. the imperative on executive action posed by a level 50 character who may be under the influence of the forces of Hell. Can't wait for the spinoff LP where we play an irreverent sorcerer-lawyer who gets all the chicks and doesn't play by the rules.

Not spending every active moment plotting Theseus' demise = defending Theseus. :lol:

Not spending every active moment plotting Theseus' demise = POOR PRIORITIES

You let go of the grudge. An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

But a dick for a dick makes the whole world fucked.

Angerboner - Chick who can maybe tell us something!

Last edited:

Look, again, no one is interested in traveling to the 7 cities right now and avenging ourselves.
No one (except maybe kayerts) wants to plot his demise all the time or make it our sole purpose in life. Quit strawmanning.
We just want to cement these two ideas:
1. we want this guy dead
2. we don't like him.

If we leave it for a toss up, esquilax, nevill and the rest of the lemmings will all vote to trust this guy later on down the road. Heck, they are already justifying what he did.

Nevill

Arcane
That's where you aren't getting it. He doesn't know we did it.
There was a cleric to interpret the signs pretty conclusively.

You are the one who doesn't get it, bro. Or at least doesn't get my angle. It is our decision how to feel about it. And it doesn't matter if he knows we did it or not because we know, beyond the shadow of doubt, that we did, and that he was right to suspect us.

Your reasoning is that of a thief or a murderer who got caught, but insists he should be let go scot-free because he thinks he didn't leave enough evidence. And if he gets prosecuted regardless, he thinks the judge is a corrupt asshole out to get him. You have betrayed, you have got caught red-handed by the goddesses, you got punished by their followers, and you can't deal with it. :cool:

I don't want to be that guy.

Heck, they are already justifying what he did.
:lol::lol::lol:

I can't help it, he is too dreamy.

I mean, yes, we succeeded in making his life very unpleasant
And we never had to go out of our way to do so. :smug:

It is when we did that things started getting unpleasant for us.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Your reasoning is that of a thief or a murderer who got caught, but thinks he should be let go scot-free because he thinks he didn't leave enough evidence. And if he gets prosecuted regardless, he thinks the judge is a corrupt asshole out to get him. You have betrayed, you have got caught red-handed by the goddesses, you got punished by their followers, and you can't deal with it.
Na, his reasoning is that of a thief who got caught by a murderous lunatic. The lunatic murders their mutual friend when she suggests they not murder the thief and instead wait for the police. The thief is angry that she was murdered pointlessly. He doesn't just shrug at her death and go "Eh, you win some, you lose some. See ya later, Theseus old buddy"
I guess that's one way to look at it, but I think that we just shouldn't fixate on it. Look to zhang manxing; that guy was an outrageous asshole, but attempting to get revenge on him always lead to some sort of great trouble, enveloping us in another layer of his dicketry which would make us all the madder when we came across him to fail the next time... I mean, yes, we succeeded in making his life very unpleasant, but I don't really think it was worth it compared to all of what we lost in seeking out punishment for him.
Zhang Manxing was a comedy antagonist cursed with stupidity and blessed with the highest luck stat of any other NPC we met, comedy antagonists aren't the same as Theseuses narratively. It's why I always voted to grin coyly at dear endearing Zhang Manxing and defeat him with the power of love and rainbow puppies.

Love doesn't work on Theseus. It only makes him stronger.

That's where you aren't getting it. He doesn't know we did it.
There was a cleric to interpret the signs pretty conclusively.
You mean this?
“The devastation you see around us is proof, Master Theseon. It is the anger of the Goddesses manifest in this world, brought down by their champion’s betrayal. In so doing he has twisted the fates of not only himself, but other innocents who were not meant to perish here. I can feel the Goddesses’ sorrow deeply within me that such a thing has come to pass.”
Signs? He just looked around, made a judgement call and talked about "feeling" the goddesses' sorrow.

He couldn't possibly be a full of shit superstitious asshole who clearly isn't all knowing as he went along with everyone and assumed that Mieren was dead because, "Look it's her arm!". No, he's probably clairvoyant. Certainly his four fucking sentences are enough evidence to kill two people over.

Since you appear to need further illustration, take a look at how it could have gone down:

The Hero’s Destiny Redux

“Of course I won't. Who the hell do you think I am?” You let go of the the Hero’s Medal, letting it fall back into position on your chest. It hums approvingly. A cool, peaceful feeling rewards your obedience to your deities.

“A MERE PUPPET AFTER ALL THEN.” murmurs the Demon Lord thunderously. He raises his hand. Crackles of energy throughout the room signal that you will soon have to battle for your life. "DIE, FOOL."

You barely manage to raise your defenses in time.

"Plasma manipulation. A close one." , you remark as you bring up another barrier in order to replace the one that was just destroyed by the Demon Lord's blast.

*klutt*

The goblin king's blade sticks into Mieren's arm, its serrated edges digging into the bone.

"Bastard!", she cries out.

The goblin king smirks and searing pain rips through her arm as the poison begins to take effect.

The blade is still stuck in the bone. Mieren feels him begin to use it to pull her toward him.

"I refuse to play tug-of-war with my own arm, fiend!", she screams and slices off her own arm.

Blood sprays through air and the goblin king falls back in shock. Wasting no time, Mieren leaps into the air and somersaults forward, using the full weight of her body to bolster her one armed attack.

The goblin king is sliced in half.

Sweat drips from Mieren's brow onto the exposed part of her ample bosom. Her chainmail bikini sways gently in the breeze.

"Guess I need to bandage this arm.", she mutters, ignoring the pile of goblin corpses that surround her.

Just then a feeling of dread fills her. She looks toward the tower.

"I...I can't lose.", you stammer, "I'm the hero."

"YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN AN IDIOT.", the Demon Lord chides as he strides toward you to deliver another blow.

You are bleeding quite a bit. "Maybe if I run.", you think.

Just then, the medal on your chest flies out, snapping itself off the chain.

"WHAT?" The Demon Lord raises one massive claw to catch the spinning emblem, but it never arrives at its destination. Suspended in mid-air, the medal spins wildly.

The Demon Lord’s fiery eyes widen. “NO, THAT IS-“

He roars an incantation, calling forth a barrier of absolute darkness.

As the realization sinks in, you try to throw up all of the protective spells that you can muster.

The Hero’s Medal shatters. A pure white light bursts outwards, washing everything away. The floor disintegrates beneath your feet, turned into dust by the destructive force of the explosion. Your spells are shattered without giving even the slightest bit of resistance. The radiance burns your armor away, sears your flesh, blackens your bones.

You do not even have time to scream.

“Was it clever insurance against your betrayal, or was this meant to be the means of the Demon Lord’s destruction, all from the start?”

You stir, excruciating pain rushing back in to meet you. You almost wish you had not regained consciousness. Your sight is blurry, and your field of vision is limited. You can barely move your arms, and you feel nothing below the waist. Every sound that you can hear is overlaid with a painful buzzing.

“Thus is the fate of those who go against the Goddesses’ will.”

You recognize the voice. Althus. Squinting, raising your head slowly, you see him standing over you. Kyle is there too. Lobelia too. They look tired and wounded, but they seem to have survived the blast a lot better than you did. If they cast a healing spell on you, you could still survive this.

“Did you really betray us?” Kyle says heavily, panting. At that moment, from the tone of his voice, you instantly know that you are not getting any healing of any sort, not from them.

“The devastation you see around us is proof, Master Theseon. It is the anger of the Goddesses manifest in this world, brought down by their champion’s betrayal. In so doing he has twisted the fates of not only himself, but other innocents who were not meant to perish here. I can feel the Goddesses’ sorrow deeply within me that such a thing has come to pass.”

Seeing your puzzled expression, Lobelia explains, “Syke is nowhere to be found. Rurik and Mieren are dead. The explosion killed them. Rurik was blasted to pieces. Of Mieren, we could only find an arm.”

As it probably did nearly everything else in the castle, demon warriors and human prisoners alike. That is probably your fault if Althus is telling the truth. The Demon Lord’s massive, mangled bulk lay just in front of you. He seems to have taken the worst of the attack. Of his daughter, there is no sign. You remember seeing – just before the light swallowed everything up – the Demon Lord reinforcing the cage around his daughter rather than protecting himself, but you are not sure if even that was enough. The black spire itself, a mountain of obsidian rock taller than the highest human towers, has been all but destroyed by the explosion.

“As for us, we survived because the Goddesses have selected Master Theseon as their true hero,” Althus says. “The former hero betrayed his destiny and joined the Demon Lord. Master Theseon’s righteousness marked him as the real hero, and thus he was granted the power to defeat both villains and save the day with his loyal followers.”

Lobelia remains silent. She would usually bristle at the implication that she was anyone’s loyal follower, but this time, she remains silent.

Kyle raises his sword reluctantly and says, “Even if you are a traitor to humanity, you are still my friend. I will end your suffering.”

Gathering up all your strength, you attempt to speak from your ruined throat. “Kyle… my friend…”

“If you have any last requests, I will honor them,” he intones solemnly.

“…I still have the bigger dick.”

“Such crude words even while facing death. You have no honour at all,” grimaces Althus. “The Goddesses must have seen this coming all along, and selected you for this reason.”

Kyle chuckles despite himself, glancing downwards at the lower half of your body. “Not anymore, no.” He moves to drive the sword through your chest.

“Stop!”

With a loud clang, his sword is knocked aside. Kyle staggers, having been pushed back by a powerful blow. Looking at the person now standing in between you and him, he smiles happily. “Mieren. You’re alive!”

Clutching the wound where her arm had once been, Mieren glares back. “What is this? Why are you trying to kill him?”

“He betrayed us all. I am just doing him a favour by ending his pain. More importantly-”

“Even if he did, it is not our place to punish him. He must have had his reasons!”

Ah, yes. ‘Reasons’. If you are physically able to squirm guiltily at this time, you would.

“Heal him, bring him back to the Seven Kingdoms, and have him stand trial when he is better. Let him defend his own actions,” continues Mieren.

“No. His destiny ends here, with his betrayal,” states Althus flatly. “Any other outcome is blasphemy.”

Kyle approaches Mieren, extending one hand in a reasonable and friendly manner. “Come on, Mieren. Think about it. He would have killed us all. He sided with demons. He already caused Rurik’s death because of his betrayal.”

“Rurik died protecting me, and yes, he will have to answer for that. But not this way. Something feels wrong about this situation, and until I find out what it is, I’m not leaving his side, Kyle.”

“Why do you always… always…” Kyle grits his teeth, visibly enraged. Tousling his beautiful blonde hair, he murmurs, “Do you like him that much? Then you can share his fate, traitor.”

Unable to help, you can only watch helplessly as Mieren engages Kyle and Althus in battle. Her red hair streaming brilliantly behind her, she dodges, kicks, and parries their slashes and spells with a strength borne of desperation. Even with one arm, she is holding her own against the other two. Had she always been this strong?

“Tiger Cannon Fist!” Mieren unleashes a powerful punch that drives Kyle stumbling to the ground, throwing up a cloud of dust. Turning around, she delivers a kick that knocks Althus away before he can finish incanting his spell. Then, as she leaps towards the fallen Kyle to end the fight, Lobelia acts.

“Mie... Mieren!” you shout, a croaking gasp that fails to reach her ears.

“Icestorm.” Countless sharpened icicles materialize as a freezing gust of wind chills you to the bone. They rain down upon Mieren like a hail of arrows. She dodges the first dozen. Parries the rest with her arm and legs. The last icicle gets her, embedding itself deep into her stomach. Her blood, spurting into the air, freezes almost instantly. Kyle rises, his eyes full of determination. He steps towards the wounded Mieren, before she can recover, and he cuts her head off.

It bounces on the ground, rolling until it rests right at what remains of your feet. Mieren’s head. Her eyes are looking straight at you, the expression blank. They blink once, twice, and then fall still forever.

“Stupid wench,” spits Kyle. He begins to advance upon you, wielding the sword that took Mieren’s life. “Well, you have no need to fear loneliness. I will send him to join you soon enough.”

The ground begins to quake. Large cracks criss-cross the area, widening into fissures that separate you from your former friends. As the rock begins to split, Kyle cries out, “What is going on, Althus?”

“The… the demon world is collapsing! Upon the Demon Lord’s death, nothing is keeping it together anymore! I fear that whatever remains here will soon be swallowed up into oblivion! Let us go!” shouts Althus.

The heroes flee, leaving you for dead. They would have a bright future ahead of them as the saviours of humanity. All the highest accolades the Seven Kingdoms could confer, those would be theirs. They could even declare a Month of Laziness if they wanted.

You, on the other hand, would die here. Your name would be reviled as that of a traitor. Your family would pay the price for your betrayal. Perhaps your father would be put to death. Perhaps your sister would be tortured before meeting her end. At best, they would be ostracized, exiled from their homes. You are under no illusions that the people would not seek some form of retribution against the one who betrayed their hopes.

Yet they were the ones who dragged you from your comfortable bed, the ones who saw through your feigned madness, the ones who elected you Hero against your wishes.

The ground falls, somehow falling upwards into the sky, and you sink into darkness.

You can no longer tell which way is up and which way is down. You cannot see anything anymore. You know that you are dying, that you will not last even a few more minutes. Even so, you cannot let it end here. Blindly, you crawl forward.

YOU ARE NO LONGER A PUPPET.

Somehow, you hear the Demon Lord’s voice. There is a wet, tearing noise, that of flesh being ripped apart.

HERE. DEVOUR THE FRUIT OF MY EXPERIMENTS. IT WILL TEAR YOU FREE OF FATE’S LOOM, TO BE WHATEVER YOU WISH TO BE...

The voice fades away. Your sight returns. The corpse of the Demon Lord sits in front of you. His chest is torn open, and in one hand, stretched out as if offering it to you, is his black heart, still pulsating and beating. You can sense powerful energies still emanating from the massive organ, though it is rapidly weakening with each passing second.

You reach out for it.

It is slippery to the touch, throbbing underneath your torn and broken fingers.

A hunger wells up inside you, despite your misgivings.

It is the hunger of survival, that which all men must confront at the brink of death.

You have no intention of starving it.

Opening your jaw wide, you bite into the Demon Lord’s heart.

---END---
(hopefully the fanservice will excuse my poor writing)

edit: proofreading is teh hard
edit: very teh herd

edit:
#BIOWARE

Bonus:
and this is what would have happened after that in the discus
Lambchop: theseus!
treave: trololo
Nevill and Esquilax: Well, you can see how he'd think we betrayed him, so it's not his fault.

Nevill

Arcane
Na, his reasoning is that of a thief who got caught by a murderous lunatic. The lunatic murders their mutual friend when she suggests they not murder the thief and instead wait for the police. The thief is angry that she was murdered pointlessly.
That's not what Lambchop is saying, or at least not all that he is saying. He insists that Kyle was wrong to punish us.

I do agree about the girl, and I think we might come to blows about it yet (no one denies us females and lives!! :argh:), but, again, I do not quite feel the holy rage. :M

You mean this?
I mean this. As a cleric, he would know more about it than you do. :M

Since you appear to need further illustration, take a look at how it could have gone down:
Yes, I agree that this is what could very well happen (not what you have written, but the general outline - we lose, everything explodes). I do not agree that their reactions would be similar and that we would be at odds with our companions. It would be possible for us to explain what happened if it weren't demon titties behind our actions. In that case we would have an option to feel anger at the goddesses' betrayal of a man they used and squeezed dry before tossing him out.

Trying to apply a reasoning that is based on one of the possible hypothetical scenarios when we know perfectly well that what really happened was completely different is a mental gymnastics.

Nevill and Esquilax: Well, you can see how he'd think we betrayed him, so it's not his fault.
What you fail to acknowledge is that I don't care about Theseus and thus do not justify his actions. I only pick my own motivations.

Last edited:

Not apply reasoning, just outlining how it could/would have gone down.

But even if I were, trying to list 4 lines from a cleric whom we know nothing about as justification for murder is just as bollocks and totally downplaying him offing the girl is 10x as bollocks.

If we're going to talk about this discussion on the mental gymnastics scale, let's just say that I am doing a back-flip or two and you are contorting your spine in order to suck your own dick. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Last edited:

Isn't it hard to laugh as you suck your own...oh, never mind. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Not apply reasoning, just outlining how it could/would have gone down.
I have a scenario for you, then. Sorry, but I don't possess even your writing qualifications, nor do I have the time.
We defeat the DEMONZ Lord in an honest battle as was foretold. But we can't bring ourselves to kill his daughter, so we do the only logical thing!
- Hey, guise, I am marrying the demonic tsun-princess to reform her and bring her back to the Light.
- Congrats! Now Mieren is finally mine for the taking!
- Bastard! Were all those sweet words a lie?! *stabbity stab*
OMG! They were right to kill Mieren before she murders us out of jealous rage!!

What? It could have happened... In fact, that is exactly how it would have gone down. :M

Last edited:

On a more serious note, how many more parrots until the thread reaches PARROT OVERLOAD? :M:M:M

Nevill

Arcane
On a more serious note, how many more parrots until the thread reaches PARROT OVERLOAD? :M:M:M

I have counted 100 parrots in Spiral between June 25th and July 7th alone (unfortunately, the search doesn't function beyond that). Based on parrot density there before the LP collapsed I predict that we are safe until we reach at least several thousands.

Wait. But at the current ratio of parrots to posts that's...oh my...

...THE DAY AFTER THE DAY BEFORE TOMORROW!
:M :M :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom