Official RPG Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Sep 22, 2014.

  1. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,320
    Codex 2012
    Keeping your promise and helping a girl carry groceries instead of investigating the Juunimon or the mansion, both rather important places, is indeed a very feelz driven choice. :M
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Ah, that one.

    Well, you know your audience. For all of our differences, not one codexer wants to play as someone who can't keep their word to a girl.

    I don't remember many other choices that were that unanimous. Only buying out scholarbro from Yuhua Halls even comes close.

    So you must have expected that to happen. :M
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Akkudakku Arbiter

    Akkudakku
    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2014
    Messages:
    1,125
    Come on guys vote B for Maeda! Maeda >> Maeda
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Come to think of it, didn't we promise Na-chan that everything is going to be alright? And I don't mean 'him'. That came afterwards.
    Show Spoiler

    So... yeah. :MI told you I had trouble separating 'his' thoughts from ours.
     
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    ^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,320
    Codex 2012
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's strange.

    When I thought how we would come to our senses again, back at the hospital, I always imagined us sitting behind a piano, playing a tune that we didn't know how or where we learned. :M

    I do not understand this 'Seiji'. I wish I could see the world the way he does, if only for a moment.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,320
    Codex 2012
    That's not Shinohara Seiji, that's Shinoseki Adachi. :M
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. a bear named spigot Arcane

    a bear named spigot
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    Messages:
    780
    voting A if it's not closed yet
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Names mean little. We are Adachi, and that man is not us. That's what matters.

    Sometimes I feel like I can see his point, since we ourselves are much more about emotion than cold logic, but it is gone the next moment, drowned out by sheer madness of his actions. :?
     
    ^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,320
    Codex 2012
    The Sakaguchi Mansion

    “I have to go,” you say, heading for the door as Yukina watches on helplessly. Will you see something that you do not want to see when you open it? Tentatively, nervously, you slide the door aside. The spray of the rain begins to darken the wooden frame of the entranceway. All that lies before you, however, is rain, wind and lightning. Just as Ei said.

    “Wait!” Before you can leave, Yukina calls out to you again. Turning around, you suddenly have a parasol shoved into your arms. “Take this. It’ll shelter you from the storm,” she says, her gaze directed at the floor.

    “I… I couldn’t-“

    “It would not do for you to fall sick from the rain now, would you?” smiles Yukina.

    “I’m sorry,” you apologize lamely.

    “I understand, Shinoseki-sama. You are worried about Nami-san. I am, too. She has not been here with us long, but I think of her as one of our own. So… go.”

    “Are you really worried about Maeda Nami? Or are you merely concerned that losing her would mean losing a useful resource, perhaps even a way out of this maze?”

    Ignoring Ei’s provocations, you give Yukina a nod. “Thank you, Maeda-san, and… don’t worry. I’ll be back.”

    “I’ll be waiting.”

    You head out into the stormy night, the parasol raised up as a shield against the lashing wind and stinging rain. It barely covers you, and you tighten your grip on the wooden handle so that it would not be blown away into the clouds. If all of this is false – an illusionary world – it is a very realistic one. With every step you make there is a splash. The ground has turned to mud beneath your sandals. As you travel down the path, towards the dark, towering silhouette of the mansion, you hear a faint, hoarse whisper from behind. You look over your shoulder, at Yukina’s house.

    Lightning flashes, illuminating, for just a second, a woman in a white kimono standing outside the window, knocking at the boards patiently. Her visage fades away just as the thunder rolls around. “Worried, Acchan? Maybe you should have stayed after all?” teases Ei.

    You shake your head. “Let’s… let’s just move on.” It would not do to second-guess your decision at this point. The Sakaguchi mansion lies just ahead: the place where it all began… probably. You have to focus on the task before you. To find Maeda. To find a way out of here. To save the future, as you told Yukina. It was just a story that you spun in the spur of the moment, but perhaps it can mean something more.

    ***

    At last, you reach the Sakaguchi mansion. The large, cast-iron gates – a black, pointy edifice if you have ever seen one – is chained shut: no matter how much you tug at them, they were not likely to open. There should be a lock holding it shut from the other side, but you are unable to reach it from the outside. It looks like you will have to climb over it. Apologizing to Yukina in your heart, you let go of the parasol. It is immediately swept away by the gale, disappearing into the darkness far above you. Gripping the ornate decorations carved into the gate, you begin to climb. The rain gets into your eyes and obscures your vision, the bars of the gate are slippery and wet, and the clothes you borrowed are too tight for you to move as freely as you would like. What would be an easy climb becomes a rather strenuous endeavour.

    As you haul yourself over the top of the gate, your foot slips.

    A vision of you impaling yourself on the spikes crowning the gate flashes through your head. Luckily, your grip is strong enough to keep you upright, and you narrowly avoid dying an unseemly death on the gates.

    Your arms trembling, you carefully regain your balance and find better footing, before dropping down inside the compound. Ei floats down to your side with not a care in the world, as dry and cheerful as you are wet and miserable. Glowering at her jealously, you ask, “So, where is Maeda-san?”

    “She locked herself in on the second floor when Sakaguchi started getting violent,” says Ei, pointing up at the mansion. “Are you going to climb up the walls, or use the main entrance? Challenging your climbing skills further seems like a good idea!”

    You have zero desire to stay out here in the freezing rain any longer. Stifling back a grumble, you trudge towards the main door. It has been left slightly ajar, and you can see the faint glow of flickering candlelight within.

    You hear them before you see them.

    Low, threatening growls that raise the hackles on your neck. Shining, yellow eyes in the dark.

    “Oh yeah, Acchan. They have dogs, by the way. Really big ones.”

    “Perhaps… you should have said that earlier,” you whisper.

    A pack of seven dogs slink out from the shadows, growling at you. Though their fur is matted from the rain, they appear to be a healthy, well-fed pack: these are no stray mongrels. You grow very, very still. That they have not yet run for shelter from the storm is a curious thing, and they seem to be giving the mansion itself a wide berth. The dogs seem to be wary, afraid, and angry all at the same time, and the pouring rain is not improving their mood any. You wonder… among your myriad skills, is dog-taming one of them?

    ***

    A. You attempt to subdue the dogs by physical force. There are seven of them and only one of you, but that only means it will be a good warm-up for your body. Getting a few bites or scratches is nothing serious compared to what you have faced… or will face.

    B. You attempt to stare the dogs down, affecting a dominant presence. You have heard stories of people scaring off animals through intimidation. Perhaps you could do the same.

    C. You attempt to befriend the dogs. Taming is a two-way relationship of trust. A diplomatic approach might serve you better here compared to a more domineering interaction.

    D. You attempt to run past the dogs: they don’t seem to like getting close to the mansion. As long as you can reach the main door and enter the house, they should back off.

    E. You stand very still, hoping they will lose interest and back off.

    F. You try to walk past the dogs calmly. They might not chase you if you pretend not to notice them. Probably.
     
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    25,127
    Maybe I am reading too much into this, maybe is just affinity between people of the same family but seems that there is another faction besides the three we know, Yukina tends too much to use pluralis majestatis.
    Cliffhanger.
    Climbing doesn't seem fitting for a rabbit after all.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,364
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Rest of the update probably comes later, making us look a bit foolish. :troll:
     
    ^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,320
    Codex 2012
    Had to post whatever I wrote first to save it, since I was on another computer. It's complete now. Welcome to the Spencer Sakaguchi Mansion.

    [​IMG]
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I doubt she means her family. She either means the village... or the bubbleworld at large.

    Either way, Nami does not belong with them.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,364
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Oh look! The grue is in the form of a pack of dogs!

    Well, when faced by a grue, running is not an option. Let's establish ourself as the alpha male.

    B>A
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Whoa. Well, dog diplomacy is but one step removed from rat one, and we are about as domineering as a rabbit... though sometimes we surprise people.

    We might not have time for waiting, though it could be an option, depending on how long it takes for them to lose interest. Fighting or fleeing are the choices I find more reliable. And I am not sure which is worse, to get into a scrape with 7 canines, or to force ourselves to enter the mansion from the main entrance without proper preparations.

    D>A. And hope our 'neighbour' exercised enough.

    On the next episode, 'The flight of the rabbit'.
    It appears zee Germans won't arrive for the next 30 years, so our odds look good. :M

    Edit: On second thought, our clothes are tight and wet, restricting our movements. Running might not be such a good idea.
     
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    ^ Top  
  17. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    25,127
    We can ask Treave for some extra option:
    F)In a calm and collected manner you walk to the door like a boss without even giving as much as a glance to the fleabags, they are beneath your notice.

    G)Ask Ei to chase them away.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. a bear named spigot Arcane

    a bear named spigot
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    Messages:
    780
    is there meant to be more here?
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,320
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, I missed out on the sentence somehow. Completed.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :hmmm:
    I cheated.

    How to avoid being bitten (open)
    Slow down. Slow your run to a walk. "The prey instinct dogs have is triggered by fast movement," says Peak. "Slowing down to a walk makes you seem less interesting."

    Turn and walk in the opposite direction of the dog, but keep watching the dog out of the corner of your eye.

    Don't stare. "Staring a dog in the eyes can be interpreted as a threat by some dogs," warns Peak. "Keep the dog in sight, but avert direct eye contact."

    Be boring. If the dog approaches you, stop and stand very still. The more boring you are, the less you'll interest the dog.

    Don't cower, as this may activate a prey response. Don't adopt a combative position either, this may instigate a fight. Instead, stay relaxed and use an upright posture to give a sense of authority.

    Use a deep, firm voice to convey a sense of calm, not a high-pitched, shrieking voice. The latter broadcasts fear and may activate the dog's fight instinct.

    Don't attack. Don't run. Don't stare. Be boring. Gotcha.

    Adachi can do boring. E.
     
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    ^ Top  
  21. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    25,127
    Fighting instead will be even worse.
    The only real options are walking or running towards the mansion, walking is safer.
    When facing dogs never run and avoid eye contact.
    Here is my take on the options:
    A)Liam Niisan option, except that in all the other occasions we had some form of sensation that told us that the optiln was viable, the revolver feeling familiar in our hand, contemplating the creative use of some object, a peculiar knowledge etc.
    This is not the case, we can always hope that such abilities surfaces on their own if we are in danger, but this would be true in the other cases as well.

    B)Big no no, it works only in anime and manga, unless we are born under the sign of Hokuto this won't work.

    C)Petting them is outright stupid, they are restless.

    D)Running is a bad idea but this is an emergency.

    E)We don't have the luxury to wait.

    F)The best option in my opinion, we don't provoke their reaction and at the same time proceed to save Nami hopefully.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That is my concern as well, but does it take all that long for a dog to lose interest?

    They will approach us, sniff us... and then what is going to happen?

    Perhaps it is worth asking treave what the plan is. If they don't back off, are we going to continue standing still? For how long?

    Usually you could move, if you do it slowly... just not towards the pack. Otherwise you are encrouching on their space, theatening them. If we could back out, give them a wide berth, and reach the mansion that way, perhaps it would be worth it.

    Huh, all sources say pretty much the same thing.
    Show Spoiler

    • Resist the impulse to scream and run away.
    • Remain motionless, hands at your sides, and avoid eye contact with the dog.
    • Once the dog loses interest in you, slowly back away until he is out of sight.
    • If the dog does attack, "feed" him your jacket, purse, bicycle or anything that you can put between yourself and the dog.
    • If you fall or are knocked to the ground, curl into a ball with your hands over your ears and remain motionless. Try not to scream or roll around.
    * Don’t look a dog straight in the eye. This is provocative.
    * Do not run away from or past a dog. This can make them aggressive and want to chase you.
    * Never go up to a dog you don’t know and try to get friendly, especially if the dog is behind a fence, tethered or in a parked car.
    * If an unfamiliar dog comes up to you, stand still. Most of the time, the dog will sniff you and then walk away.
    * Never bother a dog that is eating or sleeping. And stay away from a mother tending to her litter.
    *If you're threatened by a dog, don’t yell. Respond calmly. In a commanding voice, tell the dog to go away. Try to stay still until the dog leaves, or back away slowly.
    * If you are attacked, give the dog an object, such as a jacket or tote to bite. If you are knocked down, roll yourself into a ball and lie still. Cover your head and face with your hands.
     
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    ^ Top  
  23. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    25,127
    We can take a lttle detour but the goal is the door, we are encroaching their territory no matter what, the assumption is that whatever is happening in the mansion will scare them enough to not enter it again.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,142
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The mansion is not their territory. And if I understood it right, they seem to stay away from the mansion itself, not just the door or whatever is behind it. If we can reach a wall they might not dare approach, especially if they aren't chasing us around.

    Besides, the door might not be the only point of entry. There might be a window open somewhere.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.