Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Kz3r0

Arcane
Besides, the door might not be the only point of entry. There might be a window open somewhere.
I think Ei would have told us.
“She locked herself in on the second floor when Sakaguchi started getting violent,” says Ei, pointing up at the mansion. “Are you going to climb up the walls, or use the main entrance? Challenging your climbing skills further seems like a good idea!”

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
See? We can always climb up! :M

Even so, the point stands. The dogs don't want to come near the mansion, so if we go there, it's no skin off their back.

Kz3r0

Arcane
See? We can always climb up! :M

Even so, the point stands. The dogs don't want to come near the mansion, so if we go there, it's no skin off their back.
Then we should walk away from them and reach the door, it doen't need to be a straight line.

Nevill

Arcane
That's what I hope E would do.

If it doesn't, and if F attempts that instead (rather than what is currently stated), I might go for that.

You might excuse my deeply seated mistrust for freeform options if they are not offered in advance. :M

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're surrounded at the moment. Of course, you could always climb back over the gate and circle around the back.

Kz3r0

Arcane
B - 1
E - 2
F - 3
Come on Nevill be sensible flop to F so we can get the update faster, what is worse, having Maeda die horribly while dogs sniff our ass, or having Maeda die horribly while we get mangled heroically?:M

Nevill

Arcane
No. This gives me the Amanozaki room vibes. Must be full of dead ends.

Seven big guardian dogs will tear us to pieces if they put their mind to it. They are not zombies, there is nothing to misunderstand about this threat.

This is one occasion where I am willing to wait if it gets us out alive. We are not saving anyone if we are a piece of mangled meat.

There is also nothing that indicates that Maeda is in immediate danger. The previous choice - that we thought would kill her if we didn't act - was to leave her in the mansion until morning. There is a big difference between that and waiting for the dogs to go away - the latter is not going to take until morning. I don't think this one choice will kill her... unless we kill ourselves, first.

Fighting, fleeing and standing still are still the only viable choices I see. Fighting gives us initiative (instead of waiting for the dogs to bite off our arm when we pet them), running gives us a chance to close the distance to the mansion and hope that something spooks them if when they catch up and start mauling us, and waiting has the potential to bypass the problem completely at an unknown cost.

If the option wasn't there, chances are, it was not considered a viable solution. That has been the case with all freeform/post-update options so far. Seiji diplomacy and oni-killing are just the two latest examples.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
E.

There's no way we're going to fight seven dogs. There's no way meek awkward Adachi is going to stare down the dogs. As for E vs. F, I don't see how F is better - if the dogs attack anyway, E means we're more alert, while F, it sounds like, may have us walk past the dogs.

Kz3r0

Arcane
If the option wasn't there, chances are, it was not considered a viable solution. That's has been the case with all freeform/post-update options so far. Seiji diplomacy and oni-killing are just the two latest examples.
Seiji diplomacy was a bad choice from the inception, the oni killing came about as a joke.
Walking is a compromise between two of the existing choices, at least make a conditional for running.

Kz3r0

Arcane
- if the dogs attack anyway, E means we're more alert
And what good will do to us, staying still while surrounded by the pack means that if they attack is game over, the whole point of staying still is that they won't attack and leave afterwards.
Running is the most 'aware' of the choices.

Baltika9

Arcane
You'er arguing semantics at this point. Anyway, since my preferred option of fighting isn't going to win, I'll vote to GTFO instead of standing here. The mansion seems to be the only place we will be safe from them.
A>F

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If the option wasn't there, chances are, it was not considered a viable solution. That's has been the case with all freeform/post-update options so far. Seiji diplomacy and oni-killing are just the two latest examples.

Oh, no, I actually thought about putting it in after I posted the update, but before Kz3r0 proposed it. I figured someone else would mention the option so I just waited until it was. :lol:

Regarding the dogs' behaviour, it isn't exactly normal. In a storm this heavy they would usually have sought shelter.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I was at the train station one day. In front of me was a young family of three.

The woman, with her arm curled around the man’s left arm: from her affectionate demeanour, that was probably his wife.

The exuberant little girl was using her father’s right arm as a climbing pole, hanging from it, swinging and giggling.

As I watched, she clambered up over his shoulders and back. Wasn’t that dangerous? The man gave no reaction.

Suddenly, he turned. The jerking movement threw the little girl off. She fell off the platform and onto the tracks.

Screaming, the mother rushed down from the platform to cradle the child.

The father merely watched.

Before I could do anything, the train arrived at the station. It rolled over the woman and her daughter without stopping.

There was not even a scream.

I could hear the sickening, wet crunch of the bones and flesh being ground under the wheels.

Panicking, I pulled out my phone to call emergency services. As I pushed at the buttons with my trembling figures, a man walked past me, towards the train’s opening doors.

It was the father.

On his left was his wife, walking arm in arm. On his right was his daughter, cheerfully hanging onto him.

Kz3r0

Arcane
It, like the rest of his clothes, did not appear.
This is huge, while being without glasses doesn't make us blind in the literal sense of the word there's no way Shinoseki can read at first glance the title of the book Yukina was holding, here the consequences of this:
It's not physical time travel, unless it can magically cure impaired sight.
It's not a simulation, or The Simulation, there 's no reason for the Quantum Computer to suddenly not simulating our sight impairment properly.
The only explanation is that this is the fair side of the shire, a part of the land of the Dead not poisoned by the malice, this is why Maeda is here, she killed herself, having escaped both the simulation and the abyss of souls she ended up in the 'proper' place being from one of the Juunimon families, so to speak, or maybe for the place, or both.
This means that everyone here is dead, the real question is if this is outside or inside Fox Guy territory, seems to me that is outside the bubble, and the bubble is probably Juuzo Simulation.

Nevill

Arcane
As for E vs. F, I don't see how F is better - if the dogs attack anyway, E means we're more alert, while F, it sounds like, may have us walk past the dogs.
It will have us walk past the dogs, since they have us encircled. Any direction but up is 'past the dogs'.

Why would that be a bad thing, though?

Regarding the dogs' behaviour, it isn't exactly normal. In a storm this heavy they would usually have sought shelter.
They are unusually agitated, and there is no shelter around but the mansion that they refuse to come close to. Those are the only hints of 'something is wrong here' we have.

That can result in unpredictable behavior (refusing to pursue a fleeing prey, scattering if attacked, lashing at an immobile target), but it is called unpredictable for a reason. One can't count on it. :?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There are kennels at the back of the yard.

But yes, this is a feelz choice. How do you want to communicate with these dogs? :M

Nevill

Arcane
Walking is a compromise between two of the existing choices, at least make a conditional for running.
Running is actually what I thought about. Rabbit is as rabbit does, and all that. When faced with danger to himself only, Shinoseki might be prone to fleeing. It's when it comes to other people he brings the kung-fu mop out.

In 'normal' circumstance I would never do that (never going to work), but these aren't exactly normal. E>D.

This is huge, while being without glasses doesn't make us blind in the literal sense of the word there's no way Shinoseki can read at first glance the title of the book Yukina was holding, here the consequences of this:
I have -4.5 myopia, and can read a title of the book (which is usually typed out in huge letters) from a meter away without any implements. :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom